What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi all
New avatar to reflect summer arriving and having spent time out in my garden today planting out my tender plants!
@ziggy_w so good to see you here
@Goonergal hope Morrison’s is okay - I’m finding things improving with online delivers far fewer subs thankfully
@DJC3 think trying to please various people food wise is prob a recipe for disaster! Must admit too that I’d find it impossible to do without meat or fish.
@Chook lemon sherbet not appealing! However having grown some basil from seed I’m now craving balsamic vinegar - I booted it out when I was very strict in early days but have developed a longing for it on a tomato basil salad mixed with olive oil! Caved in and added a small bottle to my Saturday online delivery!
Off out for long walk in a bit after the final clap for carers meanwhile today’s food
Breakfast scrambled eggs with half slice of lc toast
Lunch cheese, celery and walnuts and a few lc seeded crackers followed by montezumas 100% absolut Black with orange nibs - prefer this to almond version and good offer atm at Sainsbury’s
Dinner chicken wrapped in bacon with celeriac chips, mushrooms in cream and Worcestershire asparagus and glass of dry white wine followed by lc raspberry mousse and two small strawberries with extra thick cream.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Yes, that's EXACTLY how I feel about tofu - no flavour and, no matter what recipe I try, I can't make it crispy!!
Not had a success with tofu myself. But MrSlim bought some from M&S already marinated in basil and some other things which did fry up beautifully crispy and tasty. The only time I have enjoyed tofu.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. 1 hard boiled egg and 60g corned beef
L. Another hb egg, more corned beef, 1 stuffed vine leaf and 1 tomato. Was going to stop there but hubby divided an avocado between us too.
D. Mussels in garlic butter served over celeriac mash. (Boys had theirs with spaghetti) Then today's experiment was 80g ripe galia melon. Rise was exactly 2 after 2 hours, and boy was it tasty. I miss fruits so much.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
28.05.2020 date corrected, laptop appears to be in UK, so changed the date at 11pm in France.
Breakfast: nut granola, new batch has mire spice and less sweetener. Definite improvement. 2 eggs scrambled with butter and celery salt. 2X Coffee with cream and milk.
Coffee as above. Making the cream last a bit longer.
Lunch: one slice toast with soft cheese and ham. Lettuce, cucumber and radish from the garden. Water and tea.
Snack, carrot while preparing dinner.tea
Dinner chicken with lemon, garlic and cumin, cauliflower rice, brocolli and mangetout, again from the garden.
Greek yoghurt and raspberries. Glass of water and one of wine. Few more raspberries and cup of tea.
Cat has decided to be ultra friendly and sat on my lap for the first time tonight. Very effective snack prevention.
@PenguinMum good for you, fresh from the garden just tastes better and its so satisfying to be producing for yourself.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that's EXACTLY how I feel about tofu - no flavour and, no matter what recipe I try, I can't make it crispy!!

And it smelled so promising when I opened the marinading container. It was cooked in the oven rather than fried and ended up hard, rather than crispy.
Did you see Paul Hollywood’s recent program on Japan? He went to a top tofu restaurant and tried lots of different dishes but found them all bland and unappetising. No hope for me if the best chefs can’t make it taste good.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
And it smelled so promising when I opened the marinading container. It was cooked in the oven rather than fried and ended up hard, rather than crispy.
Did you see Paul Hollywood’s recent program on Japan? He went to a top tofu restaurant and tried lots of different dishes but found them all bland and unappetising. No hope for me if the best chefs can’t make it taste good.

Did you press your tofu before marinating it - not that it made much difference to mine. Yes, I did see the PH programme - interesting to learn that it's rude to point with chopsticks and as for that person he was riding around in those little cars with... well... :facepalm:

I got the idea to crispy cook tofu from a John Torrode programme on Korean cooking.... I did everything he did and that didn't go crispy either and then my BGs shot up because he used cornflour. I've got a big slab of firm tofu in the fridge and I don't know what to do with it now.

@Goonergal - my weird Asda sub this week is celery instead of fennel and my planned cheeses for the week isn't available and hasn't been subbed (v. strange)

Today...

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (banana flavour)
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese
Dinner: crustless quiche, h/m coleslaw and salad (and if my BGs go down enough i might have a bit of Mr C's roasted beetroot)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you press your tofu before marinating it - not that it made much difference to mine. Yes, I did see the PH programme - interesting to learn that it's rude to point with chopsticks and as for that person he was riding around in those little cars with... well... :facepalm:

I got the idea to crispy cook tofu from a John Torrode programme on Korean cooking.... I did everything he did and that didn't go crispy either and then my BGs shot up because he used cornflour. I've got a big slab of firm tofu in the fridge and I don't know what to do with it now.

@Goonergal - my weird Asda sub this week is celery instead of fennel and my planned cheeses for the week isn't available and hasn't been subbed (v. strange)

Today...

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (banana flavour)
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese
Dinner: crustless quiche, h/m coleslaw and salad (and if my BGs go down enough i might have a bit of Mr C's roasted beetroot)

No didn’t press it, it was the firm variety so it didn’t occur to me. I might give it one more go, maybe increase the amount of soy sauce and chilli etc in the marinade and take more notice of the oven temp and time. I’ve become very slapdash in my cooking - my oven isn’t very accurate either so whatever temp the recipe calls for I just whack the oven on and don’t even look at the dial!
I’m chortling at your celery/ fennel substitution. Home deliveries are always good for a laugh. ( though I wouldn’t laugh if it was the other way round - I love celery but don’t like fennel)

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
No didn’t press it, it was the firm variety so it didn’t occur to me. I might give it one more go, maybe increase the amount of soy sauce and chilli etc in the marinade and take more notice of the oven temp and time. I’ve become very slapdash in my cooking - my oven isn’t very accurate either so whatever temp the recipe calls for I just whack the oven on and don’t even look at the dial!
I’m chortling at your celery/ fennel substitution. Home deliveries are always good for a laugh. ( though I wouldn’t laugh if it was the other way round - I love celery but don’t like fennel)

Its the other way round with me - love fennel and hate celery - this is the second time they've made this same sub so I'll just chop it up and freeze it like i did the last one (works fine in casseroles).

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Its the other way round with me - love fennel and hate celery - this is the second time they've made this same sub so I'll just chop it up and freeze it like i did the last one (works fine in casseroles).

Not very fond of either fennel or celery, but celery, at least, adds something to a stock. A little fennel goes a long way for me.

About 1 pm had some RyVita with cheese - couldn't be bothered to do anything else, too stiff and too little sleep. I seem only to be getting about 3 hours these days before the stiffness wakes me up.

I've hard boiled some eggs and will probably do something with one or two of them - Ms V did my shopping and bought some Heinz Seriously Good Light Mayo since I hadn't got around to making my own. Not sure what is in it; might have to give it to No 2 son. I do have some black pudding and some bacon in the fridge. Might do something with those and hard boiled egg.

Em, Braidie and their parents came for a visit today - outside and socially distanced - along with my 7 year old great granddaughter (she's staying with them because her Mum is feeling a bit poorly, being 17 weeks pregnant and needing a bit of a rest). They came with the 2 dogs, who loved running wild in our, rather large and wild, garden, as did the 2 girls. They set up some camping chairs on our back lawn - all appropriately spaced and I went outside to sit in the sun with them for about an hour. (Struggled to get down our back steps - 7 of them). When they were going, I tried to get up but couldn't - the chair was too low. Em and her dad rushed over to help me and with a huge struggle No 2 son managed to lift me to my feet. So much for social distancing! Then I had to get back up the steps again. Stiff, is it? Dear me, it will probably take a few days to recover from that.

It was so good to see them though, despite not being able to hug the children.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Sipping a gin and soda and Just about to have dinner which is the DD tuna casserole. A tiny bit of adjustment makes it fit for all the various food requirements here.
Lunch was a mini tapas plate of salami, cheddar, olives and walnuts. About 15g Montezumas afterwards.
@Annb I was thinking how lovely for you to see all the family til I got to the end of your post I hope you are a bit more mobile now and the stiffness subsides.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

I hate celery too @Chook - makes me gag. I usually just tell people I’m allergic to it to avoid awkward situations.

Morrison’s order arriving soon. Missing items are 4 packs of lamb ribs :banghead: and the poussin I ordered :arghh:. Found out in time to visit Waitrose in search of both - neither in stock there either, but they did have short rib, kippers, Barnsley chops and brisket, which will make decent substitutes.

Lunch today was air fried chunks of pork belly slices.
Dinner was 25% mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and a bit of grated cheese. Followed by a small pot of Yeo Valley Greek yoghurt.

Reactions: Annb

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well re celery and fennel I’m happy to report I adore both!
Breakfast one each of bacon,egg and half slice lc toast
Made cheese scones mid am which I sprinkled with extra vintage cheddar for a topping - during cooking some landed on trays and crisped up and somehow whilst putting scones on cooling trays those bits of burnt cheese ended up being nibbled by me!
Lunch lc cheese scone with home cooked ham and Dijon mustard followed by an Aldi nut and seed bar.
Dinner wild salmon in lemon butter with celeriac chips and asparagus followed by lc raspberry mousse and extra thick cream. Made lemon and lime mousse this afternoon for next few days.
Out to water parched garden and new plants in a few mins. My online delivery arrives in the morning await subs with interest!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: Bovril and a lc hot choc
L: the last of the homemade chicken nuggets
D: korma, with a tablespoon of puy lentils and a blob of yog. May have a DGF millionaires shortbread in a mo.

No 1 now much happier since he has had his chiropractic appt. standing and walking better, too, which is v good to see.

FRIDAY today! Very happy about that!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've hard boiled some eggs and will probably do something with one or two of them - Ms V did my shopping and bought some Heinz Seriously Good Light Mayo since I hadn't got around to making my own. Not sure what is in it; might have to give it to No 2 son. I do have some black pudding and some bacon in the fridge. Might do something with those and hard boiled egg.

I made a kind of mash-up with two rashers of bacon, 2 slices of black pudding, a sausage and 2 hard boiled eggs. Chopped them all up and mixed them together with a kind of Marie-Rose sauce made from my tomato ketchup and a little of the mayonnaise Ms V bought for me. Nothing in it that I couldn't eat, but it tastes like salad cream rather than mayo. It didn't look very attractive, but it tasted OK and was quite filling.

When I was peeling the shells off of the eggs, I rinsed them and dried them and dropped them. I didn't realise that hard boiled eggs were so bouncy. I had to chase them all over the kitchen.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In this hacienda after a busy, and hard labour week in the garden (think 2500ltrs farmyard manure), then planting a lot of perennials, if you dare, than there is the explanation why my hands feel 300, or maybe 400 years old.

Tomorrow will be heavy labour to enrich an existing bed (no idea how much farmyard thingamybob that'll work out as), then planting a Peoria Madame Calot and a Sarah Bernhardt.

Theoretically that's the last of the "big stuff" for this year, but theory has form for lying to me!!

For dinner tonight, I visited the village chippy. MrB had fish, chips and peas. I had some peas and stole a few of his chips, to go with and airfried chicken leg quarter.

Honestly, I reckon tonight I could have got away with the full kit and caboodle, if it were gluten-free.

Tomorrow, our Sunday, we have a trip to a local-ish reclamation yard planned. One might lust after a horse/cattle trough, although that'd likely mean planting it up.

In other news, I visited out big city hospital pharmacy today for a special (allegedly) fill prescription. Two visits in and I still have less than 40% of the prescribed amount. Bonker, bonkers,..... (you got it) bonkers.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast. 2xCwH&H , nut granola, 2 eggs scrambled with butter. Making an effort to eat more as still losing weight. It helps that we might have found an easier way for me to get groceries.
Mid morning cwH&H
Lunch: avocado, tomato and feta cheese salad, lettuce,cucumber and radish. Yoghurt and raspberries. Water and tea.
Couple of cups of tea.
Dinner: chicken breast marinated in lemon, garlic and cumin. Cauliflower rice, brocolli and mangetout from the garden. Mangetout are so rewarding to grow, delicious raw in salad, or cooked. And economical compared to shop prices. used to get a handful every day from just four plants, now I have a row of them. Maybe some will make it to the freezer. Made custard and added a single square of 75% chocolate for dessert. Water, and wine, later second glass if wine and finished up the feta cheese.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast. 2xCwH&H , nut granola, 2 eggs scrambled with butter. Making an effort to eat more as still losing weight. It helps that we might have found an easier way for me to get groceries.
Mid morning cwH&H
Lunch: avocado, tomato and feta cheese salad, lettuce,cucumber and radish. Yoghurt and raspberries. Water and tea.
Couple of cups of tea.
Dinner: chicken breast marinated in lemon, garlic and cumin. Cauliflower rice, brocolli and mangetout from the garden. Mangetout are so rewarding to grow, delicious raw in salad, or cooked. And economical compared to shop prices. used to get a handful every day from just four plants, now I have a row of them. Maybe some will make it to the freezer. Made custard and added a single square of 75% chocolate for dessert. Water, and wine, later second glass if wine and finished up the feta cheese.

Lizzy - If you are back to losing weight again, could you also try things like fattier meats? Chicken breasts are all very well, but in relative terms, lower fat. I actually prefer thigh or leg meat, unless I'm doing something like curry where I want to cube the meat, so will almost always end up with chicken breast "left over", and going into stock, then for shredding into salads.

Are restrictions of deliveries easing at all in France?