What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering about jackfruit. I see quite a few mentions of this ingredient and would like to try using it. But what form is best to use - I see it online as a powder, canned in syrup or canned in brine. Also seen it as dried chips. What do any of you guys use, if you use jackfruit at all?

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm wondering about jackfruit. I see quite a few mentions of this ingredient and would like to try using it. But what form is best to use - I see it online as a powder, canned in syrup or canned in brine. Also seen it as dried chips. What do any of you guys use, if you use jackfruit at all?

I've only used canned jackfruit in water to make chilli. It tastes more like pork than anything else. You need young jackfruit as it gets older it changes flavour. I drain it then, using two forks, I shred it then add it to the rest of my chilli towards the end of cooking.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A nice morning trip to Scunthorpe to get some lavender plants and a summer robe/dressing gown from M&S. A couple of weeks ago Scunthorpe was spookily quiet but today it was much, much busier - except for the high street where most of the shops are still shut.

Breakfast: two boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: nothing
Dinner: Thus is my 'Sunday ' dinner which will be eaten in the garden - a feast of Greek Butter beans (done in a herby tomatoey sauce, served warm), houmous with little gem leaves to dip, cucumber and red pepper in proper Greek yoghurt with garlic and dill, peas, tiny broad beans and artichoke hearts in a lemon zest, garlic, mint and olive oil dressing, tomato, feta and olive salad - and pita and lamb rump for Mr C, halloumi on aubergine for me with a smear of spicey red pesto between the cheese and aubergine, inch cubes of potatoes cooked in lemon, rosemary, olive oil and a few chipotle flakes.

Strawberries dipped in melted chocolate for pudding.

Wine will definitely be consumed.

Hopefully there will be enough leftovers for Mr C to take to work for his pack up tomorrow.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was raspberries and cream.

I had lunch today - egg mayonnaise. Really not keen on the Heinz "Seriously Good" light mayo though. It actually tastes far sweeter than it should.

Dinner will be butter roasted celeriac cubes and broccoli with pork meatballs. When preparing the broccoli earlier, I found that most of the flower part had gone off - I foolishly left it in the polythene wrapping in the fridge - bad idea - so I had to cut most of it away and use the stems. Should be OK. I added a little curry powder to the veggies when I put them in to roast.

I have a rack of lamb to marinate overnight in yoghurt and spices for tomorrow. Really looking forward to that. It wasn't cheap, of course, but there's a lot of it there and I should be able to make it last - if I don't get too greedy. Feeling hungry just thinking about it!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only used canned jackfruit in water to make chilli. It tastes more like pork than anything else. You need young jackfruit as it gets older it changes flavour. I drain it then, using two forks, I shred it then add it to the rest of my chilli towards the end of cooking.

@Chook - when you buy the jackfruit in water - is the water salted or "fresh"? I see it on Amazon in brine but wonder how salty it is.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon All,

B: sausage and egg
L: ham and cheese rollups
D: will be a small portion of defrosted pulled pork.

We are back to the usual mad scramble with the freezer.
- we fill a drawer with 30 dogfood trays. The dogs eat a tray every day and a half. So that is 45 days of food, with space developing in the drawer.
- so I use that space as temporary storage.
- then we need to eat all my temp frozen stuff to make space ready for the next 30 trays...
- happens like clockwork.

spent all morning in garden. Got LOTS done. Worn out now. When did I get so old? :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really not keen on the Heinz "Seriously Good" light mayo though. It actually tastes far sweeter than it should.
At 8 grams of carbs (of which 3 sugars), as opposed to my favourite cheap mayonnaises 1.3 grams of carbs I'd expect it to taste sweet.
Why not have a regular mayonnaise instead of a 'light' one with ingredients like sugar and cornstarch?

Breakfast/lunch: Low carb wrap with black pudding and bacon, evening meal will be a small lamb sausage and a beetroot and onion salad with warm goat's cheese and roasted walnuts, with a surprise addition of freshly smoked goosebreast my neighbour has been smoking today :hungry:

Two Belgian beers will have been drunk by the end of the day as well, and a midnight snack will happen too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Lovely long walk in the sun today and feeling decidedly sleepy already.

Found myself near Canary Wharf around lunchtime and being v hungry placed an online order for collection at Five Guys. Bunless bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and mayo. Very generous with the bacon and sat in the sun to eat.

Dinner was an air fried Barnsley chop with 1 Cumberland sausage, followed by a small pot of Yeo Valley Greek yoghurt.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At 8 grams of carbs (of which 3 sugars), as opposed to my favourite cheap mayonnaises 1.3 grams of carbs I'd expect it to taste sweet.
Why not have a regular mayonnaise instead of a 'light' one with ingredients like sugar and cornstarch?

Breakfast/lunch: Low carb wrap with black pudding and bacon, evening meal will be a small lamb sausage and a beetroot and onion salad with warm goat's cheese and roasted walnuts, with a surprise addition of freshly smoked goosebreast my neighbour has been smoking today :hungry:

Two Belgian beers will have been drunk by the end of the day as well, and a midnight snack will happen too.

The mayonnaise was bought by my volunteer shopper. She sometimes doesn't manage to get what I want and gets the best alternative that she can. She does her best. However, the "light" mayonnaise she bought is going in the bin - pity because it was about the biggest bottle of mayonnaise I've seen, other than commercial packs. Being "light", I realised it would have extra sugar and cornstarch - that's what light means really. But it shouldn't taste sweet. I really have to stir myself and make my own, which has no sugars that you can notice - eggs, mustard powder, olive oil, salt, pepper and vinegar - there might be a little sugar in the vinegar. Just not feeling like making any food right now although I will have to stir myself to marinade the lamb for tomorrow.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The mayonnaise was bought by my volunteer shopper.
Ah, in that case I'd say your volunteer shopper is a sweetie, just too bad it doesn't always work out perfectly.
Your homemade mayonnaise sounds wonderful! I tried once, and decided it means lots of dirty cutlery, a mess in my kitchen and mayonnaise I don't like half as much as the cheapest brand in my supermarket, which I find delicious. At 1.65 euro's for a 650 ml pot I'll never bother with trying to make it myself again :p

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook - when you buy the jackfruit in water - is the water salted or "fresh"? I see it on Amazon in brine but wonder how salty it is.

Its just water and jackfruit in the tin - I try not to buy anything with salt in as I prefer to add the amount I want rather than throw away good food which (to me tastes over salted.)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, in that case I'd say your volunteer shopper is a sweetie, just too bad it doesn't always work out perfectly.
Your homemade mayonnaise sounds wonderful! I tried once, and decided it means lots of dirty cutlery, a mess in my kitchen and mayonnaise I don't like half as much as the cheapest brand in my supermarket, which I find delicious. At 1.65 euro's for a 650 ml pot I'll never bother with trying to make it myself again :p

The Heinz "light" mayo was £3 for 800 ml. Not sure how that compare to euros. I prefer to make my own everything if I can, then I know exactly what is in it. I don't always manage it, of course, and sometimes I forget to check when a ready made product comes in to the house and it's only after I've used it that I wonder what was in it. Silly me!

Neil and I are both "difficult" when it comes to food allergies and intolerances but he is a lot more careful than I am, checking all ingredients. Usually he just makes what he can from basic ingredients but even then there are problems because different producers, eg millers, who make flour with more or less fibre in them - and that is an issue for my Crohn's sufferer son. In the process of trying to sort that one out with the difficulty getting branded (and stated content) flour at present. Pasta is another issue - has to be low fibre and egg free (my volunteer shopper doesn't really understand the issues there - she came with "Free From" spaghetti which has other grains but not wheat because it is gluten free. He can't take other grains. That's another thing I was going to attempt to make - spaghetti but not sure how much fibre is in 00 flour. But, he's not fading away - mostly because of steroids. And I'm certainly not fading away.

Reactions: Chook and Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Its just water and jackfruit in the tin - I try not to buy anything with salt in as I prefer to add the amount I want rather than throw away good food which (to me tastes over salted.)
Must see if I can see one packed in water - I was a bit bothered, as well, about the amount of salt in the brine packing. That's why I wondered about the powdered version.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, @Annb , catering for Crohn's, food allergies and diabetes at the same time sounds like a daily returning puzzle. Add in not doing your own shopping and I'm impressed you even manage to throw a meal together at all! Well done!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Must see if I can see one packed in water - I was a bit bothered, as well, about the amount of salt in the brine packing. That's why I wondered about the powdered version.

I get mine from ethnic food shops - there was several different choices about maturity of the jackfruit and what it was packed in.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, @Annb , catering for Crohn's, food allergies and diabetes at the same time sounds like a daily returning puzzle. Add in not doing your own shopping and I'm impressed you even manage to throw a meal together at all! Well done!

Actually @Antje77, Neil is pretty good at sorting out his own food, although I do get in the ingredients for him. I can assure you that I make too many mistakes to be considered impressive. It's amazing, sometimes, what you can get used to. Constant struggle is what I am used to.;)
Old age, failing brain, memory loss, overweight. Diabetes is the least of my problems, although it sometimes looms large.:joyful: I do worry about Neil though - he's not getting any younger either, or getting any better from his "oddities".:banghead::banghead::banghead:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday hubby cooked his flatbreads again so I steeled myself for a 5 point rise like last week , but no, this time stayed to just rise of 2 pp exactly. Only difference this time it was evening meal and I added loads more butter and had some double cream for 'afters'

Today I fasted until lunchtime then had salad with hb eggs.

Dinner was a bbq outside so 1 beef burger and home made koftas.
Tried a version of chia pudding for after. 1 tablespoon chia seeds added to about 75ml double cream with half a square 90% chocolate grated and 2 strawberries mashed in and left in fridge for few hours. Was a bit thick so added some plain kefir. Result was much tastier than the coconut milk version. Had thickened nicely and tasted quite decadent with 3 blueberries and half a sliced strawberry for presentation. Only needed a teaspoon or 2 so there a portion left for tomorrow too.

Bs pp stayed within range too

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Lizzy - If you are back to losing weight again, could you also try things like fattier meats? Chicken breasts are all very well, but in relative terms, lower fat. I actually prefer thigh or leg meat, unless I'm doing something like curry where I want to cube the meat, so will almost always end up with chicken breast "left over", and going into stock, then for shredding into salads.

Are restrictions of deliveries easing at all in France?
Nobody delivers to our tiny hamlet. Yes I do prefer chicken thigh, but am constrained by what is in the freezer. Marinade did contain oil to compensate a little for lack of fat in the meat.
Also long cycle rides to buy small amounts of groceries are not helping. We may have found a way round that though.

Reactions: ziggy_w

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Your question brings back wonderful memories. We had jackfruit chips made for us, while in India. Fresh they are wonderful. Not so enamoured of the commercially available version though. OFC this was before Prediabetes, not sure if I should eat them now.

Last edited: