What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi not sure if this is the right post i'm new to this, i was diagnosed almost 2 weeks ago just want to know if blood/sugar levels are normal....I had dinner about 2 hours ago i had gammon, broccoli, brussels, courgette, aubergine, 3 small roast potato's and 2 pieces of parsnip with a bit of gravy, before my was blood/sugar was 8.6 and after it was 9.4 i'm thinking that's good and considering just over 2 weeks ago i was 30.6 i'm guessing i'm doing really well so i'm happy. Diabetic nurse said they only give monitors to people when they're hypoglycemic so had to buy my own monitor (My Life Pura X) but is was relatively cheap so wasn't really a problem thanks for reading!

Hiya,
Strictly speaking not the right place to post but what the heck!! From what you've posted I would say you're doing a fantastic job. Personally I would have avoided the spuds & parsnips but such a great improvement in just a couple of weeks. Really well done.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the avocado advice. It's not that I don't like them per se, but I've really gone off them by themselves, especially the texture. Since they're so good for a LCHF diet I want to persevere. I will try the mashing, lemon juice type approach and report back.

Perhaps eating it with celery or radishes will help with the texture and give you some nice cold crunch

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya,
Strictly speaking not the right place to post but what the heck!! From what you've posted I would say you're doing a fantastic job. Personally I would have avoided the spuds & parsnips but such a great improvement in just a couple of weeks. Really well done.

I'm new to diabetes so still learning, roast dinner is the hardest to give up but seeing has my BG only went up by 0.8 don't think it done too much damage :) plus i'm a good boy for the rest of the week :angelic:

Reactions: 7 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Thank you GeoffersTaylor will definitely try this tomorrow.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Sausage., bacon, fried egg and fried tomato

S. Low carb blueberry cake

D. Cheese and tomato keto muffin with slice of Stilton and olives.

Reactions: 5 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hello
B Half a Lidl protein roll with mushrooms and a slice of cheese.
L 3 Melba toasts with salmon pate and cottage cheese 1 plum.
D Fish , broccoli ,cauliflower and green beans.

Reactions: 6 people

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1 weetabix with milk (will actively start low carb brekkies though now -any suggestions welcome) and alpro yogurt
2ryvita with dairylea and bacon
Packet of crisps (my kryptonite)
Sugar free jelly and one piece of lindt 90%
Fish with oven roasted cherry tomatoes

If only i can keep on being good again now i've been struggling abit 2months into diagnosis today

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream

L: chicken thigh, creamy broccoli, pepsi max

D: 2 lamb chops, broccoli and cauliflour with a cheese sauce, pepsi max

S: coffee n cream, pepsi max, egg white cooked in butter

Reactions: 4 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yesterday
B - 2 "Heck" 97% pork sausage in cauliflower tortillas
D - chicken roasted with onion, courgette, peppers & tomatoes in olive oil
S - Breaded Mozzarella

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Day off so doing a bit of a fast:

B and L and snacks: black coffee, Tetley Redbush with vanilla tea and lots of water

Dinner: Mousakka (low carb version) with green salad

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It takes about 20 minutes on "high", mines 700w microwave. Take out of oven with a cloth, lay on its side, the knife just slides through it - scoop flesh out with large spoon. When it's prepared the other way, quite a lot of the skin is cut away & always hard to peel anyway. The microwave way there's hardly any waste.
Tried this yesterday (much to the worry of Mr Chook) and it was lovely. Really lovely. I just cut in to it and inserted some garlicky butter and black pepper then stirred gently before serving. So easy! I'm now wondering if it would work with celeriac? Anyone tried this?

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a beigel yesterday just to see what effect it had on my B/G it went up by 5 so i know not to eat that again, gonna make a shepards pie for dinner with butternut squash instead of potato hopefully that's kind to me lol

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tried this yesterday (much to the worry of Mr Chook) and it was lovely. Really lovely. I just cut in to it and inserted some garlicky butter and black pepper then stirred gently before serving. So easy! I'm now wondering if it would work with celeriac? Anyone tried this?

Glad yours was a success too, love the sound of garlic butter, I'll do that next time. Not tried doing celeriac this way, but it's worth a try. A friend is going to do her next butternut squash this way too.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. 2 toasted home made bread(1 leg slice cut in half) butter & Marmite
L. 4 quality chipolatas/baked beans/fried onion
D. Ainsley's cuppa soup- Cream crackers & butter...jelly& cream.

Reactions: 3 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today's efforts

B - bacon, coffee with cream
L - usual turkey salad & mayo
D - home made guacamole on a slice of my spinach bread.
S - babybel, pork scratchings, coffee & cream

Thanks to @Kristin251 and @Simon84 in particular for the guacamole inspiration.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody
B. Half a cheese and tomato keto muffin- these were not a success. I like all of the ingredients but found the end result unpleasant! I binned the rest. We learn by our mistakes.
L. 2 slices of ham with a sliver of Stilton.
S. Mini bel
D.mince and onions with carrots,onions, swede and peas.:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
YAY! Glad you like it. You seem to eat very little! And about your turkey mayo salad, is it with lettuce or just turkey and mayo? I seem to gravitate toward turkey and mayo for lunch as well. Sometimes I put it on a piece of romaine , sometimes with guac and celery, sometimes with green beans. I think if I don't have some veggies I don't feel like I had a balanced meal but years ago all I would eat was turkey, chicken, egg or tuna slathered in mayo. Loved it. I wish I could eat as little as you/ How do you do it?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: chocolate & peanut butter scone cake with blueberries and Skyr yoghurt
L: chicken slices, rocket, olives, coleslaw
D: courgetti bolognaise; peanut butter 'fudge' (Hmm just as well I don't have a nut allergy. Quite a lot of peanut butter in 1 day!)
S: cheese

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi...I had shepards pie for dinner with some courgette and a bit of gravy my BC was 8.8 when i woke up, after dinner it was 6.2 was happy with that so treated myself to a couple of crabs claws :joyful: i'm slowly cutting down on carbs and try to avoid sugar when possible, only got diagnosed with type 2 2 weeks ago when my BC was 30.6 (as mentioned in early post) i know it's a long journey as i've only just started but i think i've started on the right path :) P.S forgot to mention i used mashed butternut squash instead of potatoes :angelic:

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
YAY! Glad you like it. You seem to eat very little! And about your turkey mayo salad, is it with lettuce or just turkey and mayo? I seem to gravitate toward turkey and mayo for lunch as well. Sometimes I put it on a piece of romaine , sometimes with guac and celery, sometimes with green beans. I think if I don't have some veggies I don't feel like I had a balanced meal but years ago all I would eat was turkey, chicken, egg or tuna slathered in mayo. Loved it. I wish I could eat as little as you/ How do you do it?
My food still comes in around 1500 calories, so it's not that little!
The salad comes from a a Subway in my office building. It contains lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and green peppers as well as the turkey. Note to anyone reading ... Subway will do a bowl of salad with meat of your choice ... you don't have to buy the bread. (Also they do a nice side order of meatballs & cheese. The sauce is a bit carby but hey ho!)

Reactions: 10 people