What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey your food sounds good to me today - what is LoDough pizza and what is DGF salted caramel blondie (they sound fab - are they low carb?)

Hi Mrs T 123 LoDough is a low calorie, low carb product which can be used in loads of ways, as a wrap, pizza base, quiche ‘pastry’. It’s made mostly of fibre and has a bit of an odd spongy texture. I’ve got used to it, and really like the convenience of having them in my cupboard - they have a long shelf life https://lodough.co
The DGF blondie is from Deliciously Guilt Free https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com quite a few on here buy them. I think @shelley262 posted a link recently so you may have seen that, sorry to duplicate if so. They are a small company who make low carb cakes ( and yes they are delicious, although the millionaires shortbread is not my favourite) they do mail order or collect if you’re local.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Question for air fryers - if you are cooking strips of belly pork how do you do it? Marinade or just a bit of seasoning? How long- ish and what temp- ish ( actually ‘hot’ or ‘not so hot’ is good enough, I don’t think my air fryer is that accurate)

Today I wasn’t that hungry this morning but we were due round eldest daughter’s for a Father’s Day trampoline show the granddaughters were giving. I knew there would be fizz so thought I’d better eat. H/m yoghurt with lc chocolate nut granola. A lot of coffee of course.
Fizz to drink around lunchtime and a small plate of cheddar and walnuts. Everyone else had to eat the cake my 7yo g’daughter gad made. Usually she’s a good cook but this looked terrible and I was quite glad to be off the hook. Bless her she’d put a blueberry on the top just for me as she knew I can’t eat cake.
Dinner slow roast shoulder of lamb when we got back. I’d put it on low before we went out. Had it with cauli and broccoli cheese ( made with lactofree cream, slightly higher carb than double cream but meant we could all eat the same) pluse buttered greens. DGF salted caramel blondie and cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Question for air fryers - if you are cooking strips of belly pork how do you do it? Marinade or just a bit of seasoning? How long- ish and what temp- ish ( actually ‘hot’ or ‘not so hot’ is good enough, I don’t think my air fryer is that accurate)

Cut into smallish pieces, salt, then cook on high until the fat is crisp. Yum!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone else had to eat the cake my 7yo g’daughter gad made. Usually she’s a good cook but this looked terrible and I was quite glad to be off the hook. Bless her she’d put a blueberry on the top just for me as she knew I can’t eat cake.
The blueberry sounds delicious and very festive!

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cook a couple of kilos of belly pork strips in the instant pot (20 mins on ‘meat’ setting, until they are all soft and tender).
Then I freeze them in portions, in freezer bags.
15 mins before I want to eat, I pull a bag out of the freezer, lay the strips in the airfryer, and cook it for 15ish mins on 180 degrees, til gloriously golden crispy.
Voila! Moo Grob.
:D:D:D

B: bovril and collagen
L: prawn cocktail and a dollop of smoked salmon pate, both served with a spoon
S: a coffee substitute and cream, with a DGF millionaires shortbread
D: ribeye

Back to work tomorrow. It has been a lovely week off.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mrs T 123 LoDough is a low calorie, low carb product which can be used in loads of ways, as a wrap, pizza base, quiche ‘pastry’. It’s made mostly of fibre and has a bit of an odd spongy texture. I’ve got used to it, and really like the convenience of having them in my cupboard - they have a long shelf life https://lodough.co
The DGF blondie is from Deliciously Guilt Free https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com quite a few on here buy them. I think @shelley262 posted a link recently so you may have seen that, sorry to duplicate if so. They are a small company who make low carb cakes ( and yes they are delicious, although the millionaires shortbread is not my favourite) they do mail order or collect if you’re local.
Great to learn companies out there do low carb alternatives - many thanks - much appreciated - I can now have pizza and cakes again! for a special treat now and then if I really want it

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and white chocolate phd bar.
Late Lunch: 3 mini chicken satay sticks followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, hubbie’s choice for Father’s Day, which I have found very difficult so soon after my own father’s death :( Crispy duck, two small pancakes, a smidge of sauce with cucumber and spring onions followed by LC carrot cake and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hardly slept last night. I'd got involved reading in the internet and dint go to bed until after 2, then couldn't sleep for a long while, then woke about 6:30. Thought by
BG would be up but no, lowest for the week.
B:some raspberry chia pudding that had been left in the fridge for a couple of days. Does this stuff ever stop getting bigger? I make some, eat half, next day eat half, next another half etc but it just keeps getting bigger!
L some ham and gouda and olives. 2 bites of hubby's magnum icecream
D. Roast chicken with roast celeriac replacing potatoes, courgettes and green beans. Some chia pudding to finish.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cook a couple of kilos of belly pork strips in the instant pot (20 mins on ‘meat’ setting, until they are all soft and tender).
Then I freeze them in portions, in freezer bags.
15 mins before I want to eat, I pull a bag out of the freezer, lay the strips in the airfryer, and cook it for 15ish mins on 180 degrees, til gloriously golden crispy.
Voila! Moo Grob.
:D:D:D

B: bovril and collagen
L: prawn cocktail and a dollop of smoked salmon pate, both served with a spoon
S: a coffee substitute and cream, with a DGF millionaires shortbread
D: ribeye

Back to work tomorrow. It has been a lovely week off.

Thanks - looks very do-able. Do you put them on the trivet with water underneath or straight in the pot with liquid? How much liquid/ water?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @Rachox posts crossed. Must have been a difficult day for you. The 'first's of anything after a bereavement is always the most difficult. And sure your Dad would be pleased your husband is a good and loved Dad

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - looks very do-able. Do you put them on the trivet with water underneath or straight in the pot with liquid? How much liquid/ water?

I use the trivet and stack them, cross hatched to allow the steam to circulate.
I use about 250ml of water. More moisture will come out of the meat during cooking. If you season it, you can use it as broth. I drink it. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the trivet and stack them, cross hatched to allow the steam to circulate.
I use about 250ml of water. More moisture will come out of the meat during cooking. If you season it, you can use it as broth. I drink it. :)

Brilliant! First batch is in now, thank you.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7 3 FBG 8.1 so still have some very high BGs for me. @Chook - there was certainly a lot of rain overnight here and some pretty torrential downpours today. It certainly called a halt to the second coat on the decking and my in/out journeys to hoover the car (I think I need a cordless that lasts longer than 15 mins). @DJC3 I was about to answer but can't add anymore to what @Goonergal & @Brunneria said. @Rachox - firsts of any type are sad but especially so close to the loss.
@Annb - again I can relate to what you're feeling and you are probably correct that it is a reaction to feeling "off". I went through a phase in the midst of all this but it was my brother I was missing then I felt guilty for not missing my sister the same way. I can understand it as my brother was just 2 doors away so I saw him every day. I'm cheering up since the red lumpy rash is going away.
B . Slice of LC toast with pate and TAG.

L. 3 LC crackers with the remains of the salmon mousse. Another TAG and 2 Lotus biscuits.

D. Got a delivery from Sainsbury's yesterday for a change and got a bargain. A beef roasting joint for £10. It was big enough to split in 3 - two are in the freezer. The other I did on the spit in the air fryer. Had the roast beef with horseradish, celeriac dauphinoise, broad beans and a Sainsbury's GF Yorkshire pudding which are very LC. Usual campari and soda.

@SlimLizzy - your video exploits did raise a smile! I have my own issues. Time to renew my digital Blue Badge and I need to take a new photo - with my hair the state it's in! Arrrgh!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 7 3 FBG 8.1 so still have some very high BGs for me. @Chook - there was certainly a lot of rain overnight here and some pretty torrential downpours today. It certainly called a halt to the second coat on the decking and my in/out journeys to hoover the car (I think I need a cordless that lasts longer than 15 mins). @DJC3 I was about to answer but can't add anymore to what @Goonergal & @Brunneria said. @Rachox - firsts of any type are sad but especially so close to the loss.
@Annb - again I can relate to what you're feeling and you are probably correct that it is a reaction to feeling "off". I went through a phase in the midst of all this but it was my brother I was missing then I felt guilty for not missing my sister the same way. I can understand it as my brother was just 2 doors away so I saw him every day. I'm cheering up since the red lumpy rash is going away.

L. 3 LC crackers with the remains of the salmon mousse. Another TAG and 2 Lotus biscuits.

D. Got a delivery from Sainsbury's yesterday for a change and got a bargain. A beef roasting joint for £10. It was big enough to split in 3 - two are in the freezer. The other I did on the spit in the air fryer. Had the roast beef with horseradish, celeriac dauphinoise, broad beans and a Sainsbury's GF Yorkshire pudding which are very LC. Usual campari and soda.

@SlimLizzy - your video exploits did raise a smile! I have my own issues. Time to renew my digital Blue Badge and I need to take a new photo - with my hair the state it's in! Arrrgh!
Can you please tell me what TAD is? many thanks

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Online auto corrected for no reason.
FBG was a bit high for me 6.1 so had coffee only until lunchtime, when it was still 6.4. More coffee.
BG finally dropped about 3.30 so very late lunch of ham salad with coleslaw. Tea.
Dinner 2 salmon and courgette fritters, few carrot slices, buttered cabbage and beans from the garden. Followed by glass of pink and two chunks of gouda.
Most of the day was spent either on laptop or reading. Unusually inactive day.
Lemon tea before bed.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hasn't this virus been a very strange thing? All sort of symptoms - some you would normally associate with flu (another coronavirus, after all) but others seem so random. I mean - a lumpy rash on your hands - where does that come in the pantheon of symptoms? I'm told that flu makes you feel melancholy, but I've never known it with other bouts of flu in the past. One day, I'm sure it will be over and we can all reminisce about "when I had it ..." Back on an even keel today, despite the after effects of too much cauliflower. I forgot the effect of more than a spoonful of it on my system and had quite a few spoonsful.

I'll have to see how I go today, but may only have fluids, to replace those lost. Had to start the day with a digestive biscuit FBG was almost at hypo level and I was feeling the symptoms. One digestive brought BG up to 6.5. I hope I will be able to do without anything else solid today. It doesn't help that I have used up the last of my loperamide and will have to wait for No 2 son to arrive with the post before I can ask him to go to the pharmacy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hasn't this virus been a very strange thing? All sort of symptoms - some you would normally associate with flu (another coronavirus, after all) but others seem so random. I mean - a lumpy rash on your hands - where does that come in the pantheon of symptoms? I'm told that flu makes you feel melancholy, but I've never known it with other bouts of flu in the past. One day, I'm sure it will be over and we can all reminisce about "when I had it ..." Back on an even keel today, despite the after effects of too much cauliflower. I forgot the effect of more than a spoonful of it on my system and had quite a few spoonsful.

I'll have to see how I go today, but may only have fluids, to replace those lost. Had to start the day with a digestive biscuit FBG was almost at hypo level and I was feeling the symptoms. One digestive brought BG up to 6.5. I hope I will be able to do without anything else solid today. It doesn't help that I have used up the last of my loperamide and will have to wait for No 2 son to arrive with the post before I can ask him to go to the pharmacy.

Ann, have a look at this Google search of "COVID symptoms rash". It is now accepted that some skin manifestations relate to COVID.

Of course, your rash could differ.

In your shoes, were this a new symptom, I would approach my Doc for a test. Whilst you feel you have had the virus some time, there have been reports of it coming around again.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lovely sunny day here in Yorkshire. :)

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and on kimchi on the side
Lunch: Actimel drink - not sure about having cheese as it gave me massive heartburn yesterday. Heartburn used to be a regular occurrence before low carbing but this is the first time this has happened in at least five years.
Dinner: Houmous with celery, cucumber and red pepper strips to dip in the houmous plus a home grown side salad of lambs lettuce, rocket and baby chard. (We had a double quantity of houmous delivered by Asda this week - their mistake, not mine!) :hungry: