What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Mrs T 123

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all did get outdoors today but like @Goonergal i found the wind colder than it looked - when sun out it was amazing and then clouded over and felt chill. Still, I got garden stuff done and a walk. I’ve started a daily HIT morning exercise routine - began about a week ago and have kept it up. I know my gym is opening in a few weeks but not sure how easy it will be so meanwhile trying to get a new exercise routine going. I buy an annual subscription for Headspace and use them every day for mindfulness to control my stress related bgs but they’ve also added lots of exercise sessions so trying it out.
Weight and overall bgs going down a little bit more with the exercise so will keep it up.
Lunch while on walk two boiled eggs with salt and two squares of 100% black choc - love montezumas and used their promotion for 15% off (WORLDCHOCOLATEDAY is code to use on their site) last night to order more bars for home delivery they do a new 100% with mint so I’m trying some of those and some orange oil ones - they satisfy my chocolate need but rarely tempted to eat more than two squares.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with celeriac chips and asparagus with glass of a dry white Soave followed by DGF Bakewell tart and Greek yoghurt ( I need to make another DGF order soon as takesa week to arrive and freezer stocks getting lower!).

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all did get outdoors today but like @Goonergal i found the wind colder than it looked - when sun out it was amazing and then clouded over and felt chill. Still, I got garden stuff done and a walk. I’ve started a daily HIT morning exercise routine - began about a week ago and have kept it up. I know my gym is opening in a few weeks but not sure how easy it will be so meanwhile trying to get a new exercise routine going. I buy an annual subscription for Headspace and use them every day for mindfulness to control my stress related bgs but they’ve also added lots of exercise sessions so trying it out.
Weight and overall bgs going down a little bit more with the exercise so will keep it up.
Lunch while on walk two boiled eggs with salt and two squares of 100% black choc - love montezumas and used their promotion for 15% off (WORLDCHOCOLATEDAY is code to use on their site) last night to order more bars for home delivery they do a new 100% with mint so I’m trying some of those and some orange oil ones - they satisfy my chocolate need but rarely tempted to eat more than two squares.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with celeriac chips and asparagus with glass of a dry white Soave followed by DGF Bakewell tart and Greek yoghurt ( I need to make another DGF order soon as takesa week to arrive and freezer stocks getting lower!).

Shelley - Are you a Low Carb Programme member? There are loads of exercise sessions on there too.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm starting to feel like a broken record. Cracker with butter and very mature hard goat's cheese. Day 3 of my cauliflower cheese with onion and mushrooms. Today with 3 rashers of bacon instead of salad :hungry:

In between I had a couple of spoonfuls of beetroot salad to taste, but the salad is for tomorrow.
My aunt is coming over for lunch tomorrow because she has her 70th birthday today. I'd visit her for her birthday of course, but she still needs to meet my goats and see the new guinea pigs and their new pen :)
I'll make us a festive birthday plate with a simple green mixed salad with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. On top of that will be the beetroot salad (beetroot, onion, yoghurt, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, lemon juice) finished with a piece of soft goat's cheese and walnuts, hot from the oven. Perhaps some cubed bacon as well.
For a side dish their will be rolls from the oven (Aldi, I'm not baking bread from scratch) and different cheeses. Wish me luck with portion control on that one...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and LC vanilla and raspberry granola with a black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar
Lunch: a small piece of left over gammon steak with pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: oven baked chicken stuffed with cheddar, wrapped in bacon with small portion peas and sweetcorn (mums choice of veg!) followed by two small profiteroles with chocolate sauce.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still luxuriating in the fact I've had my hair cut. Heaven to have it back to normal! I'm still trying to fathom out Phase 3.27 (or whatever we're on). I thought about it again when I read about your trip to your Dad's @Goonergal. Our latest rules are (I think) you can meet up with 15 people outside I.e. in a garden, from up to 4 different households provided you stay 2 metres apart ( methinks I'd need a football pitch), maximum 8 people indoors but then only 2 households but no more than 4 households in a day. Apparently you can stay the night but the 2 metres still applies. Masks are compulsory from today on public transport and in shops but it's one metre on public transport and 2 metres in shops. You don't have to wear a mask in banks (or restaurants & pubs when they eventually open but no idea what distance you should be apart). Youngsters <18 can meet with as many households as they like I think without distancing but then it say children aged 12-17 have to keep distancing at 2 metres but children under 11 don't have to distance at all indoors. Confused? It's taken me since yesterday to work it out this far!
Bed 5.8 (despite 4 squares of Godiva last night) FBG 6.1. Today has been a good day BG wise.
B. 3 of the Nairn's GF crackers with pate, a Dairylea triangle and TAG.
L. Nothing. Decided to go to Morrisons for a looksee on first compulsory mask day. Amazingly everyone had a mask on but it wasn't too busy.
D. Salt & pepper beef ribs with sour cream and chive dip. Slice of skinny bread with butter.
No more Godiva so 2 squares of Lidl's 85%.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

adventuresome day off work today, due to electrical probs. FBG was astronomical!
Lovely electrician sorted it all for us, so back to normal, and back on the forum.

B: lc hot choc (thankfully the sockets in the kitchen were still working)
L: lamb shoulder in brinjal pickle
D: moo grob

oh, and some Lindt hazelnut choc brought into house by Mr B after he was specifically requested not to buy more. Dratted man.

the house is looking v good though. A sugar high, no tv or internet, and I got a lovely lot of cleaning done. I would have preferred gardening, to be honest, but the weather was patchy.

ed for spelling

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh, and some Lindt hazelnut choc brought into house by Mr B after he was specifically requested not to buy more. Dratted man.

I spotted that choc in Tesco today. Managed to leave the store empty handed. Looks good but the bar is large and would undoubtedly disappear in one go!

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I’m also v confused by the rules @maglil55 but had to ignore them all yesterday and make up my own. Oldest daughter is ill ( not Covid) and we had granddaughters over. Initially for a couple of hours but ended up staying the night and most of today. No social distancing possible and youngest came into bed with me. Sometimes rules and regulations have to be bent.
@Goonergal my sympathies re dawn phenomenon - mine is also going haywire at the mo. As are almost all bg readings. I’m trusting that things will sort themselves out in time.
@Antje77 your birthday feast for your aunt sounds fabulous, she’ll be chuffed to bits with the food and the animals.
@shelley262 thanks for the Montezuma’s code and the heads up re the mint flavour. Well done on your efforts at bringing weight and bg down.
Food today
Breakfast: cheesy scrambled eggs
Lunch: 2 air fried chicken wings. Rocket&-avocado salad
Dinner: a token nod to DD chicken club sandwich casserole. But with a few variations according to fridge leftovers. Served with wilted spinach and 2 glasses red.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spotted that choc in Tesco today. Managed to leave the store empty handed. Looks good but the bar is large and would undoubtedly disappear in one go!
I saw it in Morrisons but I too resisted! Stayed away from Tesco - they have Godiva!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG was astronomical!
Lovely electrician sorted it all for us, so back to normal
And here I was thinking I needed to do complicated stuff with insulin and carbs and calculating in exercise, hormones, weather and colour of my socks.
Can I have your electricians phone number to call next time I have ridiculous bg's?

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not had any luck getting any yet, but I have had a few of the (also new) bars with cranberries, hazelnuts & almonds - which are also trying very hard to be addictive. My response to must-have tempting stuff it to eat it all in one go, my theory being I'm then only succumbing to temptation the once which is more virtuous , since if I restrict it to small pieces I'm putting myself in the way of multiple sources of temptation. Better to get it over and done with in one go - IMO... :oops: o_O

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
2 soft boiled eggs chopped up in a cup with some salt for breakfast.
2nd meal was something labelled "sausage casserole" mixed with some more of the squash soup. Difficult to identify what was in it, except there were definitely 2 sausages (left half of the resultant stew, so only one sausage eaten) and I could taste bacon and there were bits of green pepper. Nothing else identifiable, but tasty. At least, it was after I added some soya sauce.

Managed to get a doctor's phone call this afternoon to ask her to hurry along my next colonoscopy (missed in April). A doctor I've never heard of before. She'll organise a test and depending on the result of that she may force the pace and get me on an urgent list. Otherwise she'll make sure I'm on the list as soon as they start up routine work again. I have to pick up the testing pack on Monday and it will take a fortnight to get the result back. She's less worried than she would be if I were losing weight, which, of course, I'm not!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 soft boiled eggs chopped up in a cup with some salt for breakfast.
2nd meal was something labelled "sausage casserole" mixed with some more of the squash soup. Difficult to identify what was in it, except there were definitely 2 sausages (left half of the resultant stew, so only one sausage eaten) and I could taste bacon and there were bits of green pepper. Nothing else identifiable, but tasty. At least, it was after I added some soya sauce.

Managed to get a doctor's phone call this afternoon to ask her to hurry along my next colonoscopy (missed in April). A doctor I've never heard of before. She'll organise a test and depending on the result of that she may force the pace and get me on an urgent list. Otherwise she'll make sure I'm on the list as soon as they start up routine work again. I have to pick up the testing pack on Monday and it will take a fortnight to get the result back. She's less worried than she would be if I were losing weight, which, of course, I'm not!

I’m so glad you have managed to make some progress with moving your appointment along. This doctor sounds like she’s on the ball.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My response to must-have tempting stuff it to eat it all in one go, my theory being I'm then only succumbing to temptation the once which is more virtuous , since if I restrict it to small pieces I'm putting myself in the way of multiple sources of temptation. Better to get it over and done with in one go - IMO... :oops: o_O

That sounds familiar. But then I buy it again....

Reactions: zauberflote

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
FBG 6.8
Beware whingefest ahead.
Eating too much, drinking too much, not sleeping, or exercising. Routine gone all to pot. Meal planning out of the window.
Have lost control in so many areas. Still doing FBG but that feels a bit pointless at the moment. Everywhere is a mess and I am fed up of trying to be cheerful and competent. Annoyed that I have let myself get into such a state There is so much i should be doing, but so little motivation, The grass is ankle high already, nothing I can do about that and I am seriously worried that I may have actually wrecked the tractor.
Vegetables are overproducing, we were expecting a houseful this summer and planted accordingly. Courgettes or beans anyone? Potatoes? Beetroot? Cherry tomatoes are a constant temptation now they are ripening.
So this morning will/might try, yet again, to wrestle my life back into some sort of shape. Starting with the washing up. Or maybe getting dressed. A very small step in the right direction.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. I’m also v confused by the rules @maglil55 but had to ignore them all yesterday and make up my own. Oldest daughter is ill ( not Covid) and we had granddaughters over. Initially for a couple of hours but ended up staying the night and most of today. No social distancing possible and youngest came into bed with me. Sometimes rules and regulations have to be bent.
@Goonergal my sympathies re dawn phenomenon - mine is also going haywire at the mo. As are almost all bg readings. I’m trusting that things will sort themselves out in time.
@Antje77 your birthday feast for your aunt sounds fabulous, she’ll be chuffed to bits with the food and the animals.
@shelley262 thanks for the Montezuma’s code and the heads up re the mint flavour. Well done on your efforts at bringing weight and bg down.
Food today
Breakfast: cheesy scrambled eggs
Lunch: 2 air fried chicken wings. Rocket&-avocado salad
Dinner: a token nod to DD chicken club sandwich casserole. But with a few variations according to fridge leftovers. Served with wilted spinach and 2 glasses red.
To a large extent the "rules" have been ignored by many here for weeks now. Totally agree that a bit of common sense is all that is needed. It is not helpful having different parts of the country being "different". My latest discovery is that here, in Scotland, the shielding group "no longer have to socially distance from the people they live with". What?? I didn't even know they were expected to. @Annb - have you been 2 metre socially distanced from Neil for the past 12 weeks? The shielded I know certainly haven't. It makes sense if you have symptoms but shows a lack of understanding of the care a lot of the shielded need (especially the cancer patients). Good grief, even the "experts" can't agree. Think I'll just go back to resisting chocolate in quantity

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To a large extent the "rules" have been ignored by many here for weeks now. Totally agree that a bit of common sense is all that is needed. It is not helpful having different parts of the country being "different". My latest discovery is that here, in Scotland, the shielding group "no longer have to socially distance from the people they live with". What?? I didn't even know they were expected to. @Annb - have you been 2 metre socially distanced from Neil for the past 12 weeks? The shielded I know certainly haven't. It makes sense if you have symptoms but shows a lack of understanding of the care a lot of the shielded need (especially the cancer patients). Good grief, even the "experts" can't agree. Think I'll just go back to resisting chocolate in quantity

No - Neil and I haven't been socially distancing at all. That's because we both had what now is being acknowledged to probably have been covid19 before the start of the lockdown (not official because there is still, officially, none in the general population on the Island). Also, Neil's various projects have taken over much of the living accommodation in the house so for actual living and eating we only have the (fairly large) kitchen, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. However, Neil with his Asperger's has never willingly come close to anyone (all elbows and knees to fend even me off when he was small). He spends most of his time in one or other of the "project" rooms, getting on with whatever he is working on; or in the garden.

Wore a face mask for the first time yesterday when I went to the village shop and again today when I went to the pharmacy for Neil's prescription. Not very comfortable and I met a neighbour at the pharmacy and it took about 10-15 seconds before we recognised each other.

FBG 10.5. For breakfast I had the rest of the sausage casserole from last night. I also took some steak and kidney out of the freezer last night to finish off in some way for today's other meal. Maybe top it with celeriac mashed with some cheese.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The lunch salad I made for my aunt. Very tasty!

Also couldn't resist eating more of the hot roll with butter and cheese than I should have, according to my meter. I've just taken a second correction, 2 hours after food because of my meter telling me I'm at 8.8 (started out at 4.8). So now I'm hoping I overdid the correction so I'll have no choice but eat another piece of bread :hilarious:

As you can see, I do have a proper table, I just never use it when I'm alone. Usually it holds the cat food to prevent the dogs from stealing it but the dogs don't care and simply jump on the table when they fancy a bite of cat food. The table is also the storage for all the vegetables for the guinea pigs and myself.
But it was quite nice to use it for eating for a change :)

107706424_10221298377043282_5964534669756280727_o.jpg

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb *SNAP* My FBG was 10.5 this morning as well!! I woke up feeling groggy and tired, thankfully after breakfast and a couple of huge mugs of coffee it faded away and my BG had gone down to 8.1 two hours after breakfast.

Another strange shopping experience. We went in to four shops... only Tkmaxx asked customers to queue and all their staff were wearing masks - none of the other shops had a queuing system or masks on their staff but all of them had hand sanitizer available. Nobody was socially distancing. I do wish the government would make it compulsory to wear face masks in shops.

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: a bit of cheese
Dinner: Oomph (a vegan protein), roast parsnip, carrots, cauliflower, chard, baby broad beans, gravy