What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Yesterday’s lunch did prove to be the last food of the day. Resulted in an impromptu 26 hour fast which was broken with this beauty in my favourite steak house (owned by an ex-colleague). Struggled to finish it but no way was any of it getting left behind!

7CE96F65-822B-4E4E-BA63-B6710F60950A.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, MrsA2. I'll get around to watching the podcast later, I hope. Is there anything in particular you feel I might find useful, or just generally?
Plastics, hormones, genetics...all of it really. Just ignore the irritating (to me at least) American female doctor who doesn't really have an voice for radio

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I've ever ever had a pickled egg....should I? :nailbiting:

Brunch after yoga: 90 sec mug bread topped with ham and cheese and grilled. Served with cherry tomatoes. Could almost believe it was cheese on toast. Id added a little grated cheese to the bread as I find it a bit dry. Was better but still more refining to be done. Current mix is 2 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tbsp milled seeds, 15g mozzarella, salt, pepper, 1 egg.

D: will be a bbq if a big black cloud passes over. Chicken beast, lamb kofta and pork chop with salad and coleslaw

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 the tuna and egg mixed together with cheese on top sounds fab (great idea) - I will give it a try sometime - always looking for tuna ideas as I don't really like it just on its own.

@Goonergal the steak looks lovely - I can't wait to go back to one of our favourite restaurants for their surf and turf.

Brunch - slices of corned beef with cheese and mug of earl grey and double cream to wash it down.

Dinner - chilli salmon with a large prawn and egg salad and large dollop of coleslaw. Quarter of a bar of Montezuma all black orange and cocoa nibs (2 carbs - just had quarter as couldn't be bothered to work out amount of carb/s in one square as was in too much of a hurry to try it out - loved it! (will defo be buying again) - washed down with cup of earl grey and double cream.

Yesterday was spent doing washings and sunbathing (and walking) - I must head out now for a long walk - can't really be bothered but it is nice and dry so I better as no excuse of even rain although could quite happily sit here with my feet up but I better I better go and and do some walking- gone - before I change my mind!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunch after yoga: 90 sec mug bread topped with ham and cheese and grilled. Served with cherry tomatoes. Could almost believe it was cheese on toast. Id added a little grated cheese to the bread as I find it a bit dry. Was better but still more refining to be done. Current mix is 2 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tbsp milled seeds, 15g mozzarella, salt, pepper, 1 egg.

D: will be a bbq if a big black cloud passes over. Chicken beast, lamb kofta and pork chop with salad and coleslaw
Pickled eggs are good - I had forgot all about them - in Scotland they sell them in the chip shops - I haven't had one for years but with them being low carb, it is something else to be added to my food I can eat list!

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plastics, hormones, genetics...all of it really. Just ignore the irritating (to me at least) American female doctor who doesn't really have an voice for radio

Fab, thanks. I'll get to that later.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly my thought! And does anyone have an easy recipe to pickle eggs so I can try?

I want to eat a cabbage leave with filling. Do I cook the cabbage leaf or how do I handle it?

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 and @MrsA2 you haven’t lived if you haven’t had a pickled egg. Easy to make. Hard boil eggs, peel and put in a wide neck screw top jar. Cover with malt vinegar and ignore for a couple of weeks. You can add various pickling spices but I never bother. (Otherwise buy them for the chip shop or supermarket) enjoy.
Today had bacon and eggs for breakfast around 10am.
Pack of Cheesies mid afternoon
Dinner was chicken with mushroom garlic and cream sauce ( and added magic ingredient of Thai fish sauce, thanks @Antje77 )served with broccoli and a couple of glasses red wine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly my thought! And does anyone have an easy recipe to pickle eggs so I can try?

I want to eat a cabbage leave with filling. Do I cook the cabbage leaf or how do I handle it?

I just take large cabbage leaves, cut the main stem out and blanch them. They are then soft enough to fold around your filling. Then you can steam them or cook in the oven with stock, sauce or gravy covered with foil or greaseproof paper. Minced beef, as a burger pate, or pork sausage, make reasonable fillings, roasted in gravy and finished with grated cheese, or roasted in tomato sauce and finished with cheese, are pretty good.

Had my tuna melt about 6.30 (had to join a Zoom meeting at 7) but didn't enjoy it. Pretty flavourless. Should have used a stronger cheese and maybe tuna in spring water is the wrong fish. Ended up with indigestion! I will try it again with tinned salmon but leave the cheese out. Basically, a fish fritter, I suppose. Should be allright, as long as I don't overdo the salad/veg content.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 and @MrsA2 you haven’t lived if you haven’t had a pickled egg. Easy to make. Hard boil eggs, peel and put in a wide neck screw top jar. Cover with malt vinegar and ignore for a couple of weeks. You can add various pickling spices but I never bother. (Otherwise buy them for the chip shop or supermarket) enjoy.
Today had bacon and eggs for breakfast around 10am.
Pack of Cheesies mid afternoon
Dinner was chicken with mushroom garlic and cream sauce ( and added magic ingredient of Thai fish sauce, thanks @Antje77 )served with broccoli and a couple of glasses red wine.

Never eaten pickled eggs. Do you use all vinegar, or a vinegar/water solution? We used to buy pickled gherkins at a chippy when I was a teenager, but they were too vinegary for me.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you that could be very useful!
I use about equal quantities of the Almond flour, flax and parmesan. I never measure it. Sesame seeds are a bit less but I think that what give it the crisp. My other additions tend to be lemon zest, parsley, ground chilli, garlic or paprika. Not all at once obviously!

Reactions: Chook and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Missed lunch as drove back down to Mum’s for my last week‘s stay, met Mum and my brother at the burial ground with some flowers for Dad, and to see the bronze plaque which is now beside his grave :(
Afternoon snack of pork scratchings.
Dinner: chicken in creamy mushroom sauce with mixed veg, followed by orange SF jelly and chocolate Oppo ice cream.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Some time back, there was a recipe for low carb tuna melts on this forum, but I don't think I copied it and now I could do with it. The recipes I can find on the internet are all very carb heavy. Does anyone have the recipe?

FBG 10.7 rising to 13.4 after a couple of hours so fairly early on - insulin and yoghurt with mixed berries. We'll see what that does.

BG yesterday didn't get below 10 at any stage. Probably won't today either. On the advice of the diabetic nurse, I upped the basal insulin to 48 from 44 last night. She said she'd call again tomorrow to find out how I get on. So far, not particularly good.

I thought tuna would be a good idea for a meal later in the day, but not sure how to make it.
I have a wonderful recipe posted by @Rachox will try and give you the link.
Recipe is for tuna, but I have also made it successfully with crispy bacon or chorizo pieces.
http://prntscr.com/tser3w
here is hopefully the link to Rachox recipe
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1762#post-2214713

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
[QUOTE="maglil55, post: 2291387, member: 52911

@SlimLizzy - so glad to see Mr Slim is back with you again.[/QUOTE]
It is wonderful to have him home, even if he no longer lives up to his name :D

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Here's my burrata dish, very yummy!

Oven baked tomato slices and mushrooms, lukewarm snow peas, a raw onion, some sundried tomatoes in oil, salt, pepper, little bit of balsamic vinegar and half of the burrata :hungry:.

116426755_10221457324416867_2649553502765197952_o.jpg
Had never heard of burrata, until yesterday, and today there it was, in the reduced section, so of course, I had to try it. Had some of mine rolled up inside a slice of ham with salad. Sort of like a very creamy cottage cheese. Do you eat the skin? rind? Instructions on the container say eat immediately on opening, hope it will still be ok tomorrow. Far too much for one meal.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a wonderful recipe posted by @Rachox will try and give you the link.
Recipe is for tuna, but I have also made it successfully with crispy bacon or chorizo pieces

Yes I’ve made these with bacon or tuna, both are delicious hot or cold :hungry:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes I’ve made these with bacon or tuna, both are delicious hot or cold :hungry:
These melts are also a very flexible food, suitable for any meal or as a snack. Was going to make more but could not find suitable cheese in the supermarket today. acres of Brie, Emmental and Camembert, multiple others, but only gouda slices and no Cantal. Cantal is the nearest cheese to cheddar that I have found so far.

Reactions: Rachox

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had never heard of burrata, until yesterday, and today there it was, in the reduced section, so of course, I had to try it. Had some of mine rolled up inside a slice of ham with salad. Sort of like a very creamy cottage cheese. Do you eat the skin? rind? Instructions on the container say eat immediately on opening, hope it will still be ok tomorrow. Far too much for one meal.
I half my burrata (when I can get them) and have half one day, the other half the next day. Keep it in its fluid. You eat all of it. It's a creamier version of mozzarella but not as "stretchy" if you understand what I mean.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I half my burrata (when I can get them) and have half one day, the other half the next day. Keep it in its fluid. You eat all of it. It's a creamier version of mozzarella but not as "stretchy" if you understand what I mean.
Oops fluid is gone, but its in airtight container, wont dry out.
Thanks for prompt reply to my query.