What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That Italian tripe dish looks fantastic. I have never cooked tripe, although my mother used to and we enjoyed it as kids. I haven't seen any tripe for years, though. Years ago I did ask the lecturer on my catering course, what the best way was to cook tripe (I could buy it then) but he, though a Yorkshire man, didn't know - he had never done it himself. I wish I'd asked my mother when I could. I will write down your recipe, just in case I can ever get it.

Edited to add: sorry - it wasn't your recipe, I saw it somewhere else. Now I just have to remember where.
My recipe is the way the Italians cook it. First is prepping- if the tripe is well cleaned and scalded it is just a case of cutting into largish chunks. Diced pancetta. Dice carrots, celery and onion to make a soffritto. Drained tins of mixed beans (you can get spicy sometime), a sugo with tomato, garlic and chilli and about 200 mls chicken stock.

Heat some olive oil or butter in a pot and cook the pancetta ( I sometimes add some chilli depending on how hot the sugo is). Add the soffritto and stir and mix for a few minutes. Next in is the chopped tripe mix, follow with the chicken stock. Mix again. Add in the sugo mix once more. Last in is the drained beans. I make it in the Instant Pot under pressure and I give it 25 mins on full pressure. You have to watch the liquid levels but that's less of an issue if you make it on a simmer on the stove top. Issue then is keeping liquid in. It's very filling and really delicious.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria Relax and enjoy your time off work - happy days!

@maglil55 I haven't had tripe for years - my mum used to make it for my dad - I think she used to cook it in milk.

@Onlinecaroline may I ask where you are able to buy such low carb bread - I really do miss bread

Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt, with a few mixed berries, with double cream drizzled over it.

Dinner - salmon with hollandaise sauce poured over it and a large garden salad with olives, a sliced pickled egg, a dollop of coleslaw and a mixture of grated cheese sprinkled over the top of it.

Nice day and night here again so went walk to loch and were lucky to see a super fit swimmer swimming about in it.
That version is what hubby calls tripe soup. Loads of white onion, chunks of new potato and yes, milk and seasoning. Used to make it but the potato/milk combo is a no no now.

Reactions: zauberflote

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My recipe is the way the Italians cook it. First is prepping- if the tripe is well cleaned and scalded it is just a case of cutting into largish chunks. Diced pancetta. Dice carrots, celery and onion to make a soffritto. Drained tins of mixed beans (you can get spicy sometime), a sugo with tomato, garlic and chilli and about 200 mls chicken stock.

Heat some olive oil or butter in a pot and cook the pancetta ( I sometimes add some chilli depending on how hot the sugo is). Add the soffritto and stir and mix for a few minutes. Next in is the chopped tripe mix, follow with the chicken stock. Mix again. Add in the sugo mix once more. Last in is the drained beans. I make it in the Instant Pot under pressure and I give it 25 mins on full pressure. You have to watch the liquid levels but that's less of an issue if you make it on a simmer on the stove top. Issue then is keeping liquid in. It's very filling and really delicious.

Thankyou for that @maglil55. I will keep that in my recipe folder for the time when I can get some tripe. I'll ask my butcher and maybe he'll be able to order it in for me.

75 today and dear goodness, do I feel it? Not my mind, but the legs and back are telling me that I must be out of my mind if I still think I am 30-ish! Stayed awake for much of the night and then slept in. It doesn't help.

FBG 9.8 today - that's odd because it was only 5.2 last night. Up to 11.5 by 10 am. Didn't get around to eating until 2 pm because I was prepping and then roasting whatever veg I could find in the fridge. Roasted off a whole pile of veggie bits and pieces and then topped them with a pile of mushrooms and roasted those off as well. Had some of that for my (probably) one meal today but there's lots left for tomorrow and the next day.

Months ago, when Neil started receiving those food boxes, there was a bag of small apples in with the first one. I just shoved them in the salad drawer in the fridge and forgot about them, only thinking about them from time to time. I remembered them again today and, although they were pretty horrible apples in the first place, they were in surprisingly good condition. So I've made some apple sauce with them and a lemon. Not sure what to do with it, but at least they're out of the fridge and compressed into a smallish container. Not sure if No 2 son uses apple sauce. Might use small amounts to make some kind of apple fool (unsweetened, of course), or have tiny scrapings with a pork dish from time to time. I could just put it in ice cube trays and freeze tiny amounts for future use. An ice cube's worth won't do too much harm to the BG.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Good grief @Chook it's like a bad soap opera. I hope all turns out well for the Chooks!
@Mrs T 123 and @maglil this "tripe soup" sounds very like New England clam chowder!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Annb !!!

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely calm sunny day and not too hot here today - so managed a good long countryside walk this afternoon after lots of jobs/tasks this morning.
Lunch before walk was slice of left over frittata from yesterday’s dinner
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with celeriac chips and asparagus plus glass of dry white wine with soda water followed by DGF chocolate orange brownie with spoon of cream.
Off out to water garden in a few mins - my tomatoes are in pots and dry out very quickly.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday @Annb I’m glad your mind is still in the 30s
@Goonergal I finally got to hear your interview - you are getting to be a true professional at this, you were great. No freebies from DGF maybe but I wonder if IP might send you something if they hear it?
Today I’m in mourning - I found out our butcher is selling up! Can’t believe it. He is in the top 10 reasons we moved to this village rather than closer to my daughter. He’s had a horrible couple of years to be fair - he got Lyme disease from a tick bite when watering his cattle and was very poorly. Then his baby grandson died from a rare genetic disorder. He really needs some r&r but Still on a personal level I’m distraught.
Today I had breakfast choc chia pud made with h/m yoghurt.
Lunch was pretend blinis (LoDough) with M&S whipped creamy cheese and smoked salmon and a few olives.
Dinner loosely based on https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-and-mushroom-casserole but I don’t have arrowroot and didn’t have any cream ( heinous crime) used cream cheese instead but was nice.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Not posted here for a few days so will attempt to catch up.

@Chook hope all turns out ok for Mr Chook.
@DJC3 hugs for the loss of the butcher.

Food has been similar most of the week. Wednesday was some combination (can’t remember in which order) of air fried pork belly chunks, air fried chicken wings and cream cheese mixed with 90% Lindt.

Yesterday was a small pot of clotted cream for breakfast, air fried lamb ribs for lunch and a carnivore pizza with pepperoni topping for dinner.

Went to the office today - we’re packing it up and downsizing (no downsized place to go to yet though) and managed a decent walk there along the Regent’s Canal before the rain came. Had lunch at the cafe round the corner from the office - 4 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs and grated cheese. Lovely to see the cafe staff again but very sad that it’s likely my last visit. Dinner was at the wings shop near the station - mix of lemon pepper and garlic Parmesan wings. They forgot my order so it took an age, but they gave me a box of wings to bring home, so a bit of a win.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Strawberry carb killa bar
Late Lunch: M&S crispy bacon strips followed by Greek yoghurt, blackberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: prawn cocktail, coleslaw, leafy salad and pork scratchings followed by DGF chocolate brownie, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good grief @Chook it's like a bad soap opera. I hope all turns out well for the Chooks!
@Mrs T 123 and @maglil this "tripe soup" sounds very like New England clam chowder!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Annb !!!

You're right it's exactly like a very bad soap opera. I just hope there's a happy ending. :shifty:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday to @Annb

Virtual Hug to @Chook - it must be such a worrying time for yous just now - take care Mrs

Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt with mixed berries drizzled with double cream over the top. cup of earl grey and double cream.

Dinner - mince with onions, 2 fried eggs with grated cheese over the top many thanks to @Goonergal for the idea - I also drizzled a little heinz 50% less sugar tomato ketchup over the top - it was so stodgy and yummy - I can see this being a favourite autumn/winter dinner - thoroughly enjoyed it and it even resembled a plate of takeaway stodge that my teenage son would have delivered - so it looked like a right carby meal but it wasn't - thanks again @Goonergal - much appreciated!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 so sorry about your butcher! You are right, he deserves R&R. Maybe there are other things going on that he's not talking about. Perhaps you'll get to train up a new butcher! I CMT'd that casserole-- looks really good!
@Goonergal Mr ZF and his partner couldn't swing a corona deal with their landlord, so they just closed the physical office. I hope you are closer to a new office than he is!

Breakfast 1: avocado, boiled egg, corner of Lindt 90%.
Brave barre class. Jello belly but worth it and fun.
Bfast 2 (at lunchtime) pecans in avocado oil, another boiled egg, 1.37 Lindt, flax crisps/dilute soy milk while driving to hang out with my grandson while Mommy went to Target and Daddy played video games. When we gave him a Gameboy for Christmas in 1993 we had no idea we'd spontaneous-combusted a monster
Supper: celery sticks with peanut butter, never should have opened the jar, wilted spinach with a new h/m dressing adding apple cider vinegar to the balsamic. Still not acidic enough. Next batch, adding some distilled white vinegar. If that doesn't do it I don't know what will! I can't use lemon juice because if I store the dressing in the fridge the olive oil solidifies...And flax crisps, those addictive crunchy bites, with dilute soymilk coming up soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 so sorry about your butcher! You are right, he deserves R&R. Maybe there are other things going on that he's not talking about. Perhaps you'll get to train up a new butcher! I CMT'd that casserole-- looks really good!
@Goonergal Mr ZF and his partner couldn't swing a corona deal with their landlord, so they just closed the physical office. I hope you are closer to a new office than he is!

Breakfast 1: avocado, boiled egg, corner of Lindt 90%.
Brave barre class. Jello belly but worth it and fun.
Bfast 2 (at lunchtime) pecans in avocado oil, another boiled egg, 1.37 Lindt, flax crisps/dilute soy milk while driving to hang out with my grandson while Mommy went to Target and Daddy played video games. When we gave him a Gameboy for Christmas in 1993 we had no idea we'd spontaneous-combusted a monster
Supper: celery sticks with peanut butter, never should have opened the jar, wilted spinach with a new h/m dressing adding apple cider vinegar to the balsamic. Still not acidic enough. Next batch, adding some distilled white vinegar. If that doesn't do it I don't know what will! I can't use lemon juice because if I store the dressing in the fridge the olive oil solidifies...And flax crisps, those addictive crunchy bites, with dilute soymilk coming up soon.

Thanks for the butcher commiserations. He says it won’t happen any time soon as there hasn’t been much interest but his dad and grandad ( both butchers in this shop) died at 66yo as soon as they retired. He doesn’t want the same thing to happen to him so wants to have a couple of years to enjoy his retirement first. I’d put him at early 60s. His daughter doesn’t want the business and he has no son so that’s it. He does a roaring trade so it would be a good business for the right person.
The casserole was good - a surprising amount of veg for a DD keto recipe.
I’m the same with nut butter - I’m not to be trusted anywhere near a jar. I keep saying I wont buy it but somehow a jar will appear in the cupboard every now and then.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Covid confusion here.... Mr C's colleague had a negative second test (thank goodness) and will be returning to work on Monday. BUT another person at his work had a test which has come back positive - but didn't bother telling anyone that he had had the test and has been at work while waiting for the result. :banghead: Because he was handed paperwork directly by this person while he was infectious Mr C is having to go for a test tomorrow. The strange thing is that he had no symptoms and only had the test because his wife works in a high risk environment. Her test came back negative while his was positive.

Today's food

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: Ryvita with Longley Farm cottage cheese
Dinner: broccoli and cauliflower cheese

Probably a glass or two of red wine
Hope it all works out. Last thing you need is yet more worry over test results hugs x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed Friday 6.4 and FBG was also 6.4. Going to school has settled now especially with it being Friday so only half a day. Boys and most of the school were fascinated as there was a cordoned off area in the playing fields. Bet they're going to build a house said eldest until I pointed out no sane person would want a house where hundreds of school children are in close proximity for much of the year. Turns out it was tree surgeons in to remove a diseased tree. @Annb - a belated Happy birthday. My head still thinks I'm the same as I was in my 30's too! @Goonergal - hope the office search works out. Before I stopped work, my employer looked at the travelling contingent like myself and, if we absolutely needed time in an office, they made arrangements for us to access Regus places. Didn't like it and thankfully it was very occasional. @DJC3 - We lost all our butchers so I know how you feel. Thankfully I found that excellent butcher a few miles along the coast.
B. TAG - no time for anything else.
L. Another bowl of said tripe while boys were having lunch after early Friday pick up.
D. A weird one as it's very humid again. Hubby wanted a Chinese which I ordered and added rice paper prawns for myself. Thing is they were not what I expected. Dinner consisted of a spoonful of prawn cocktail, a few fresh anchovies, 5 squid rings, spoonful of coleslaw and these wrapped prawns which were 4 large rice paper parcels stuffed with prawns, spring onion, peas, beansprouts, sliced water chestnut and some kind of ginger and garlic sauce. It was actually very tasty but I had to remove most of the rice paper - way too much.
@Brunneria - enjoy the break!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all!!

Covid confusion continues... Mr C had his test (in a car park in Scunthorpe) and was advised that I should have one too, TBH he's more worried about me than I am because of all the stuff in the media about diabetics being at higher risk. They are couriering one to me today or tomorrow to do at home. Lovely!I

@zauberflote - are those flax crisps easy to make? Do you have a recipe??

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Longley Farm cream cheese on Ryvita
Dinner: quorn fillets, cauliflower, carrots, (and from the garden) yellow French beans, chard, kohlrabi, fennel
Dessert: strawberries and cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Covid confusion reigns!

a guy at my Mr B’s work got tested, he has antibodies, but never had symptoms.
His wife, who is in healthcare, got tested. No antibodies.
But they are guessing she brought it home and passed it to him, while asymptomatic herself.

Since co-worker interacts with 1000s of the public, he is now wondering how many ppl he passed it to?
He admits to not taking things v seriously, but has always complied with workplace PPE, though not necessarily social distancing.

The rest of the staff who share a mess room with him are somewhat annoyed, and Mr B (who Like Mr C is v concerned about bringing it home to me) Is v relieved that he has been eating his packed meals outside, rather than in the mess room.

I am all for asymptomatic infection! But not for then unwittingly and carelessly passing it on to vulnerable people...

yesterday
Kefir for B.
Steak for L With some ham and cream cheese rollups
Moo grob for D
Then Lindt

Today
B: forgot to eat, but did take a lc hot choc to park
Really should have something, since it is now 3pm... probably steak again. Nice and quick and easy.
D... dunno. Will be a freezer dive. Maybe mackerel pate.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful long walk today bit less hot so managed over 10k with lots of climbing too. Walk powered by usual coffee and cream and then a pit stop at lunchtime for two boiled eggs with salt and more coffee we always take two flasks!
Dinner tonight will be hm chicken curry - put in slow cooker before set out on walk and also for pudding a sf jelly I made first thing too - with a few garden raspberries. some gin with soda water is also likely to be on the menu tonight!
3F951288-59FF-4152-BD1E-06AF2CBD0D6D.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonderful long walk today bit less hot so managed over 10k with lots of climbing too. Walk powered by usual coffee and cream and then a pit stop at lunchtime for two boiled eggs with salt and more coffee we always take two flasks!
Dinner tonight will be hm chicken curry - put in slow cooker before set out on walk and also for pudding a sf jelly I made first thing too - with a few garden raspberries. some gin with soda water is also likely to be on the menu tonight!View attachment 43359
Love the boots!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't go to bed last night - I'd cleared the floors and piled stuff onto my bed for my cleaning lady to come and do the floors. But she didn't turn up and I decided not to take it all down again, only to put it all back up this morning. So I slept in the big chair in the kitchen. Not the soundest sleep ever, but then, I never sleep very well anyway.

FBG at 5 am 4.2 Cup of tea.

Had a phone call asking me to look after Em for the morning - DIL had to go out to collect laundry from around the Island. So, at 7.20 I had a quick breakfast of one slice of pork terrine, fried and 2 fried eggs. BG at that point was 7.8.

DIL finally turned up to collect Em at 5.30 pm so I'd had very little to eat or drink all day and have to make up for it now. Fish fingers and green salad this evening. Quite looking forward to that. I'm a bit frazzled with entertaining Em all day (and cleaning up after her - she's rather a messy creature, throwing herself and anything she happens to be holding, all around the room. She managed to throw herself down on the flowers that DIL brought in, but only broke the stem of one blooms. An unusual flower, in fact. I've never seen it before, called a cockscomb. (Will that word be allowed?) Those and my favourite sunflowers made up the bouquet.

Just as well my cleaner didn't come today either - the floor would have needed cleaning again anyway.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@maglil those rice paper prawn wraps sound delicious! For some reason, especially the water chestnuts, which I have always loved.
@Chook yes indeed the flax crisps are easy! Mix equal parts ground flax meal and water with flavoring of choice (I usually use lots of cinnamon), let sit awhile for water to absorb. Add more water if needed to make a spreadable product. Spread thinly on parchment paper set on microwave turntable. Microwave APPROXIMATELY one minute per tablespoon of flax. This is a recipe that is easily adjusted to suit your preference for thickness and crispness. Every microwave is different, and every bag of flax meal is different! The only problem comes with breaking up the finished product. Even if you scored it before cooking, it has a mind of its own! For me, I can't prepare in advance and store, as any humidity will just make them "soggy" again. Mr ZF thinks they taste like cardboard. Clearly he has an under-developed palate!
@Brunneria not another here! We don't need this....
@shelley262 you have such cute little feet in boots!
@Annb what a day! Em sounds like a busy little soul. Where will you sleep tonight? What happened to the cleaner? I don't want to picture you sleeping on any chair but a big cushy recliner!

It has rained every day for weeks now, and the ground is well over saturated. Hasn't stopped raining since yesterday evening, and my poor hummingbirds need an umbrella! There is running water in my front yard, and many puddles in the back getting deeper by the hour. This house is new to us so we shall see how things go. It's survived over half a century of occasional weather like this, and there is evidence of mitigation of water damage in the crawl space...so it's the kind of day when Mr ZF will like some sort of tuna-noodle casserole for supper! Maybe I should make some of those cheesey tuna mini muffin bites that were going around here a year or so ago for me!

Bfast: avocado, pecans/avo oil, boiled egg, 1 1/2 squares Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy milk leaked into
Lunch or rest of bfast a cherry tomato and fair amount of cheddar. A store brand cheese that has plenty of umami but that's about it.
Supper will have the wilted spinach/hm dressing and the flax crisps. Probably a can of tuna, since I'm lazy. And we can hope that I don't have another feral episode as last night before bed...