What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today’s breakfast was 1 rasher bacon, 2 eggs and 1/2 grilled tomato 2 Daughters go to boot camp on Sat morning and look forward to a fry up afterwards. I don’t go to boot camp but still look forward to a fry up!
Lunch LoDough, egg mayo and rocket then DGF brownie and clotted cream. Then hairdressers hurrah. 5 months of straggly locks gone. Tiny bits of hair kept getting inside my mask though and sticking to my sweaty face so my nose got very itchy.. it’s all been worth it though.
Dinner roast chicken, roast cauli and kale and a few buttered green beans. 2 glasses red.
@zauberflote J wonder if Mr Z would like this in place if a regular tuna noodle casserole? https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-casserole we have it fairly often and it’s very tasty. I didn’t expect to like it but I do. @dunelm put a recipe up a while back for similar microwave flaxseed crisps. I’d totally forgotten about it, thank you. I’m all for anything quick and easy.
@shelley262 what a great spot for your lunch. I bet it was really peaceful.
@Annb what a very unrestful night and to then have Em all day must have been exhausting. I have 2 granddaughters who sound similar. I do hope you get a better sleep tonight.
Hugs for Covid confusion @Chook and @Brunneria I think all anyone can do is be careful and not careless. I forgot my mask yesterday when I went down the road shopping. Tiny corner shop had them for sale so I bought a pack and put one on to queue outside the farm shop. An old lady next to me told me I had it on upside down and inside out! I’ve only used handmade cloth ones before so I’d not realised! It was much better when I’d put it on properly.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt with mixed berries and double cream drizzled over the top.

Inbetweeners (I felt out of sorts - checked everything & ok) - maybe just hungry/thirsty so had ... half a packet of pork crackings (Colmans mighty mustard flavour), 2 squares of 90% Lindtt dark chocolate and then some cheese also large glass of pepsi max - which made me feel at bit better :hungry:

Dinner - Large mixed salad with what was needing used up in fridge (prawn cocktail, italian chicken and corned beef) with grated cheese sprinkled over the top. Another glass of pepsi max - water is just not cutting it today

@Chook and @Brunneria - take care - it must be a worry for yous

@Annb and @maglil55 - the kiddies may be small but a lot of work - if my dad watched mine for me for a very short time when they were small he would say to me "it's not as easy as it looks is it" watching them.

@shelley262 - these boots are made for walking ... you made me laugh ...LOL

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Spent most of the day pottering around at home under threat of rain, which hadn’t materialised by 3pm so ran a few errands - dropped off stuff cleared from cupboards at charity shop, dropped off Amazon return at Hermes shop, dropped off food at food bank and picked up a few odds and ends at Asda. Got home just before it tipped down.

In between lunch was the extra chicken wings from yesterday eaten cold and still delicious, followed by ‘cheesecake’ - cream cheese and whipped cream spooned into a ramekin with a couple of squares of 90% Lindt.

Dinner was 2 pork belly slices chopped, rubbed with salt and chilli oil and air fried. And more cheesecake.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are away again so I am battling cafe and restaurant menus. Thought I was on to a good one this morning, avocado, bacon, poached eggs and halloumi on one slice sourdough with half a grilled tomato and 1 portobello mushroom.
It came with a dressing of chilli jam which I scraped most away. It was my first bread in months and we did walk there and back but it still raised me to 9.5!!! Was so hoping it would be lower. I just can't catch break on finding something that doesn't spike me. Not sure if this was the bread, the chilli jam or the decaf with ordinary milk.
It did mean I had the resolve to say no to the afternoon cake hubby induged in.
Steak and broccoli for supper, even though I was still pretty full from breakfast.
Its so hard to be diabetic when every around is normal and hungry 3 times a day.

Family visiting tomorrow with teenagers so stocked up on scones, cake, sausage rolls etc. Wonder how much will power I will have

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having a strange weekend, I had a pre op covid swab taken yesterday. (I have an orthopaedic op on Monday to remove metal work in my feet from previous surgery, that’s causing problems), so I’m now having to stay away from hubby and adult kids, difficult in a relatively small house!
Breakfast back in bed!: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and caramel Carb Killa bar.
Late Lunch: prawn cocktail followed by Greek yoghurt, blackberries and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck, two small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and cucumber and spring onions followed by DGF brownie with cream and LC chocolate granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(I have an orthopaedic op on Monday to remove metal work in my feet from previous surgery, that’s causing problems), so I’m now having to stay away from hubby and adult kids, difficult in a relatively small house!
Good luck on the isolating, and I wish you the best and quickest recovery after your operation!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 he would be extremely resistant to a NOODLE casserole that had no NOODLES The DDr recipe looks delicious but wouldn't fly. He will never be diabetic. At a recent labs, his non-fasting BG was 4.6 a couple of hours after a breakfast of raisin bran with a banana and milk. Thousands of carbs! We are doomed to eat separate foods unless it's a quiche. And he must have crust on his quiche which means making pie pastry, which is my least favorite of all kitchen tasks. If I fix chicken or fish, we share that and the veg, but that's about as far as it goes.
And that is indeed @dunelm's recipe. I have been addicted to them since my first try. Hurrayy your haircut! I cut mine last night, too.... before I took the braid out, I snipped off 3-4". Teehee.

@Rachox do I remember correctly that you've been dealing with this metal in the feet issue for a good while? All the best for Monday! Hope it's out-patient, or only one night anyway. I had surgery early June, same deal with isolating, but they only told me to stay home. That was no different than what I'd been doing, but you have a real challenge there!

Muddling Through

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, may I join you? I'm looking for inspiration on what I can start to eat myself so decided to lurk in here for a bit.

B: Nothing, as I fast 18:6

L 2pm - Egg Wrap with smoked salmon, cream cheese and spinach

D: Veg Spaghetti bolognaise pasta for the rest of the family, I had courgetti

Dessert Strawberries, Blueberries, F/F Greek yoghurt with with dark chocolate broken into small chunks and stirred in.

I'm seeing most 6.something in my BG tests and I'm keen to get it lower, so the exercise has started, albeit slowly as I need to do low impact, I figure a 30 min walk most nights will do the trick?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi @Muddling Through and welcome, please do come play with us! There are some very good cooks around (not me) and you will begin to crave kitchen gadgets if you don't watch out....

I'm no expert on what exercise works when for whom. Cruise around the Fitness/Sport forum as well-- lots of activity there occasionally. Definitely exercise is better than no exercise! There are plenty of low-impact exercises to choose from indeed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Lots going on since my last visit. @Annb belated happy birthday wishes. @Rachox good luck for your op on Monday, doesnt sound nice but you will be glad to get it over with. @Chook and @Brunneria good luck with the Covid uncertainties. It is perplexing how this thing gets about. Mr PM’s colleague and his wife came down with it last week tested positive but have no idea where they got it as only going out for essentials and office remains closed.
Yesterday I had three friends round to my garden for annual reunion. I made up individual bowls of chicken, bacon & avocado salad with dressings in separate ramekins. Afters were lemon tart and mixed berries again plated up. They only went inside to use the loo and I put out a basket of rolled up facecloths and a bin for hand drying. They definitely werent taking the same precautions as me and it made me wonder!
Last night I had a small panfried lamp chop and mushrooms cooked in the pan juices.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@maglil those rice paper prawn wraps sound delicious! For some reason, especially the water chestnuts, which I have always loved.
@Chook yes indeed the flax crisps are easy! Mix equal parts ground flax meal and water with flavoring of choice (I usually use lots of cinnamon), let sit awhile for water to absorb. Add more water if needed to make a spreadable product. Spread thinly on parchment paper set on microwave turntable. Microwave APPROXIMATELY one minute per tablespoon of flax. This is a recipe that is easily adjusted to suit your preference for thickness and crispness. Every microwave is different, and every bag of flax meal is different! The only problem comes with breaking up the finished product. Even if you scored it before cooking, it has a mind of its own! For me, I can't prepare in advance and store, as any humidity will just make them "soggy" again. Mr ZF thinks they taste like cardboard. Clearly he has an under-developed palate!
@Brunneria not another here! We don't need this....
@shelley262 you have such cute little feet in boots!
@Annb what a day! Em sounds like a busy little soul. Where will you sleep tonight? What happened to the cleaner? I don't want to picture you sleeping on any chair but a big cushy recliner!

It has rained every day for weeks now, and the ground is well over saturated. Hasn't stopped raining since yesterday evening, and my poor hummingbirds need an umbrella! There is running water in my front yard, and many puddles in the back getting deeper by the hour. This house is new to us so we shall see how things go. It's survived over half a century of occasional weather like this, and there is evidence of mitigation of water damage in the crawl space...so it's the kind of day when Mr ZF will like some sort of tuna-noodle casserole for supper! Maybe I should make some of those cheesey tuna mini muffin bites that were going around here a year or so ago for me!

Bfast: avocado, pecans/avo oil, boiled egg, 1 1/2 squares Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy milk leaked into
Lunch or rest of bfast a cherry tomato and fair amount of cheddar. A store brand cheese that has plenty of umami but that's about it.
Supper will have the wilted spinach/hm dressing and the flax crisps. Probably a can of tuna, since I'm lazy. And we can hope that I don't have another feral episode as last night before bed...

Many thanks for the recipe :)

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My Covid test kit arrived this morning (Sunday) - it came in Amazon packaging and was already delivered by the time I got up at 8.30. Very efficient. I can't say I'm looking forward to doing the test tomorrow morning. After some discussion we've decided that Mr C will have to do it as I've no idea where my tonsils are!!! :shy:

Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch - chaffle, 100g baked beans, two fried eggs (none of the usual mushrooms because they have been causing me tummy 'issues' recently).
Lunch: won't be needed
Dinner: aubergine, mozzarella and tomato layered bake with a parmesan topping and a mixed leaves side salad
Dessert: strawberries and cream

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a strange weekend, I had a pre op covid swab taken yesterday. (I have an orthopaedic op on Monday to remove metal work in my feet from previous surgery, that’s causing problems), so I’m now having to stay away from hubby and adult kids, difficult in a relatively small house!
Breakfast back in bed!: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late Lunch: prawn cocktail followed by Greek yoghurt, blackberries and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck, two small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and cucumber and spring onions followed by DGF brownie with cream and LC chocolate granola.

Best of luck with the op and recovery afterwards. Hope it will improve the problems with your feet.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good luck on the isolating plus hope the operation goes smoothly with a good outcome on Monday

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, may I join you? I'm looking for inspiration on what I can start to eat myself so decided to lurk in here for a bit.

B: Nothing, as I fast 18:6

L 2pm - Egg Wrap with smoked salmon, cream cheese and spinach

D: Veg Spaghetti bolognaise pasta for the rest of the family, I had courgetti

Dessert Strawberries, Blueberries, F/F Greek yoghurt with with dark chocolate broken into small chunks and stirred in.

I'm seeing most 6.something in my BG tests and I'm keen to get it lower, so the exercise has started, albeit slowly as I need to do low impact, I figure a 30 min walk most nights will do the trick?
welcome to the thread good to see you here.
I definitley find that walking after my meal lowers the following days fbg so worth a try especially if you enjoy walking as think the relaxing element is as important as the walking - well it is for me as I react to stress probably more than food these days as have been eating keto for almost 3 years so rarely eat anything that spikes me.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Big welcome to @Muddling Through
@Rachox good luck for the op x
@Annb belated happy birthday wishes - Em sounds a handful!

She is a bit of a handful, but so sweet with it. Yesterday, one of the games was "sitting down basketball". Well, I sat down and Em did all the running around, chasing the ball. The idea is, one or other holds a plastic bucket above shoulder height while the other shoots with the football sized ball. The bucket is just big enough for the ball to fit into. I don't have to use my legs, but it is very tiring holding the bucket up in the air. TBH I prefer sitting down football.

She came in this morning with a letter she had received "from the tooth fairy", stamped and franked (dad is a postman), apologising for not leaving her £2 (!) under her pillow because of the covid restrictions. I'm not convinced that she believes in the tooth fairy, or rather she lets her parents think she believes in it, so that she continues to be paid for lost teeth. I notice that her reading is not as good as it was before the lockdown (the letter, written by her mum, contained several complicated words that she should be able to read, but she struggled with).

FBG 9.8. 2 fish fingers for breakfast. Tea.

Lunch will be roasted vegetables, left from 2 days ago.

I took some previously cooked steak and kidney out of the freezer yesterday, so will need to use that for tonight's meal - may put a chaffle type top on it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 he would be extremely resistant to a NOODLE casserole that had no NOODLES The DDr recipe looks delicious but wouldn't fly. He will never be diabetic. At a recent labs, his non-fasting BG was 4.6 a couple of hours after a breakfast of raisin bran with a banana and milk. Thousands of carbs! We are doomed to eat separate foods unless it's a quiche. And he must have crust on his quiche which means making pie pastry, which is my least favorite of all kitchen tasks. If I fix chicken or fish, we share that and the veg, but that's about as far as it goes.
And that is indeed @dunelm's recipe. I have been addicted to them since my first try. Hurrayy your haircut! I cut mine last night, too.... before I took the braid out, I snipped off 3-4". Teehee.

@Rachox do I remember correctly that you've been dealing with this metal in the feet issue for a good while? All the best for Monday! Hope it's out-patient, or only one night anyway. I had surgery early June, same deal with isolating, but they only told me to stay home. That was no different than what I'd been doing, but you have a real challenge there!

Ah of course! It’s the noodles not the tuna! I sympathise with the Jack Spratt type of food sharing. In my household we have Mr C who likes potatoes with everything. That’s easy enough, but also we have a vegetarian who doesn’t like vegetables and an IBS sufferer ( we think) who is trying, not too successfully, to stick to a low Fodmap diet. All at odds with eachother and a nightmare to plan for. I’ve pretty much given up but I do like us to eat our evening meal together.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening everyone.
Breakfast/ brunch today was eggs and bacon and a slice of Gouda
Mid afternoon about 15 g Montezuma’s black.
Dinner https://wonkywonderful.com/slow-cooker-pork-tenderloin/ the fresh blackberry sauce with this was absolutely brilliant. Tart and fruity and the perfect accompaniment to the plain pork. It’d go well with game too I reckon. 7g carbs per serving but I didn’t have a whole amount. It was so flavoursome a couple of spoonful was enough.
Followed it with DGF choc orange brownie and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
also we have a vegetarian who doesn’t like vegetables
My 15 year old neighbour is like that. Seems to thrive on pizza and sandwiches at the moment. His parents have decided they'll see it as a phase for now and save the fights for more important things.
After all, the world is full of healthy adults who have lived on mac and cheese and pizza for a couple of years.