What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.6. @Goonergal & @DJC3 - I wondered about the cream cheese icing on the gingerbread. @DJC3 - Avocados. If it has a stuck stone, keep the 2 halves together then half the other way to give you quarters. It comes away easily from the stone. @Annb - that was indeed a lovely post and very sound advice.
B. TAG (running boys to school then DIL to her clinic).
L. Nothing getting another well needed haircut.
D. Couldn't decide at all. Nothing appealed. Ended up with a crispy crust omelet (cheese in first) with tomato, mushroom and pancetta. 2 sqyares of Godiva.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
brunch - small cheese omlette. Few mixed nuts while waiting on it cooking. Mug of earl grey with unsweetened almond milk.

dinner - salmon with a lemon and dill sauce and a large salad. Half of a phd smart white choc blondie bar. Large glass of pepsi max.

Lovely day here weather wise so got loads of washing out and dried and managed a nice long walk too. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A busy day today, taking grandchildren to school and then a morning at the community larder. Window cleaner and painter outside the house, 2 separate plumbers inside ( blocked drains ☹️) Dennis ran off with the second plumber’s boot. He was kind enough to take them off at the door rather than clumping through the house in them so I felt a bit sorry for him when he was looking for it afterwards (still laughed though) found it in the middle of the sitting room floor like a trophy.
Food was..
Coffee this morning
Cheese and mushroom omelette for lunch and a DGF ginger cake afterwards
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chinese-pork-stew-with-cabbage and a couple of glasses red wine.
@maglil55 I’m keen to get another stuck stone avocado now to try your tip, thank you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fourth day of holibobs :)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning in the Spa where we were going to have lunch but they we’re only serving coffee and cakes :wideyed: so had black coffee and a raspberry phd bar which I happened to have in my bag.
Late Lunch: a small packet of Cheesies and a DGF salted caramel brownie with cream and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner at Las Iguanas: Bahian (I think that’s how it was spelt!) chicken curry with wilted greens and a side salad instead of rice followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola back at our lodge.

32AA9FB0-C870-4D38-9F62-CA19D21A40BF.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.6. @Goonergal & @DJC3 - I wondered about the cream cheese icing on the gingerbread. @DJC3 - Avocados. If it has a stuck stone, keep the 2 halves together then half the other way to give you quarters. It comes away easily from the stone. @Annb - that was indeed a lovely post and very sound advice.
B. TAG (running boys to school then DIL to her clinic).
L. Nothing getting another well needed haircut.
D. Couldn't decide at all. Nothing appealed. Ended up with a crispy crust omelet (cheese in first) with tomato, mushroom and pancetta. 2 sqyares of Godiva.

Quartering the avocado. What a brilliant tip!

DIL has managed to get a GP to agree to actually see her next week. Hope and pray it's just a cyst and not anything sinister.

Just as well she runs a laundry - Em came in from school with red paint over the front of her white tee shirt. Also wet tee shirt - she and another child had been asked to wash out the painting equipment.

She showed me what her artwork had been - a blood red setting sun with a small crucifix beside it. "That's Jesus' grave," she told me. A discussion ensued about Jesus' position, ie was he God? If he was the Son of God, would he become God one day, after his father? How did he manage to roll the stone away from the front of his tomb? If good people go to Heaven to live with Jesus, why aren't they all floating around up in the sky? Hope I managed to give reasonable answers. She seemed to be satisfied anyway and soon moved on to searching for any left-overs from yesterday's tea party.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb arrgh! Does that mean you have to do another lovely tea party next Tue? I'm glad it was a hit!
@Mauriac I have exactly that feeling! When I was working full time and had two littles, I got twice as much done in half the time, and now? Plod plod plod! Congrats on your successful meal out! I always (as though we ever go out anyway,,,) get hung up on the sauces. Baked salmon with a [fill in two blanks] honey glaze....
@Rachox wonderful to hear of the walking!
@Antje77 actually the food labels do not say "of which fibre"... Fiber and "added sugars" are merely indented under carbs, if it's laid out like that. If it's just a run-on list, you're on your own! I had to ask on here to get straightened out!
@Annb ugh the mold! We have that too especially in the summers. And the washer! Hope it was a fluke. Em sounds very capable indeed!
Congrats on the restraint, @MrsA2 ! Can't help you with dinner....
@Antje77 tell me about oven baked tofu...!
And one more @Annb for Em's Jesus questions. I have to share around her question about will he become God after his father; that is brilliant!! Not funny, absolutely brilliant!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Food Thurs.
bfast avocado, pecans, boiled egg, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Between meals, spread out, boiled egg, a little peanut butter, swiss cheese, cheddar, a few pecans, couple cherry tomatoes
Late barre class
Late super spinach/hm dressing, cherry tomatoes, more cheddar while I fixed MrZF (wet from his walk in the steady rain of the tail end of Hurricane Sally) a grilled cheese sandwich. I wanted that too, but I don't have any flax bread lying around..., and flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Goodnight any who might still be up, and good morning all!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all!

@Annb - Em sounds like a bright little button. I loved it when my daughter asked questions like that. :)

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers

Dinner: (Mr C is cooking) starter will be jumbo king prawns and scallops fried in butter with lemon and a small amount of finely chopped red chilli, followed by mussels (in their shells) steamed in a white wine, herb and butter broth

Dessert will be the last of the raspberries and blackberries from the garden

Drinks are black decaff coffee until lunch and then just water

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm confused. My morning fasting BGs are always between 7 and 8.5 - usually high 7s - low 8s. Today, at 08.40, using the last strip from my Sinocare machine I had 6.1 and then, because I didn't believe it, I did two on my Gluco RX and the readings were 5.7 and 5.5. What's going on? I never have readings that low, especially in the morning. I've only been on a low carb diet for 10 days so my glucose tolerance can't have improved that much surely.

To add tot he confusion, I've just done 3 more tests (at 10 past 12) having only had a coffee with almond milk and a teaspoon of cream (0.3g of carbs) 3 hours ago and the readings had gone up to 6.5 then 7.0 and then 7.1. Does this sound normal please? The very low early morning readings seem odd and for them to have gone up by about 1.5 points after several hours of not eating I just don't understand at all. Any thoughts gratefully received!

Setting of to the restaurant now so I'll see what that brings.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I bet you felt like a kid in a sweetshop at christmas with all that delicious chocolate there - so much choice

@Annb glad the tea party went well and Em sounds like a little darling - it takes me back in time with the little kiddie conversations ... really happy times

@DJC Dennis sounds like a right little character, a little bundle of fun

Lovely surprise for me today - seriously low carb bread and rolls order arrived this morning ...

Brunch - 2 sandwiches on bacon and a little 50% less sugar tomato ketchup. Mug of earl grey with unsweetened almond milk.

Dinner will be ... 2 beef burger rolls with salad. Large glass of pepsi.

Lovely sunny day here today - enjoy your day everyone!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Antje77

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We got back from the restaurant about an hour ago. They gave us a free rhubarb martini but it was rather sweet for my taste, which also made me wonder how many carbs it contained, so I had about 2/3 and left the rest. I would have liked to refuse it altogether but that would have looked very rude. The meal was pretty low carb though so it probably didn't matter about the sugar in the martini.

To start I had smoked salmon with a crème fraîche, dill, shallot and caper dressing (I passed on the bread) and then had a burger (no bun or fries), a couple of slices of tomato and some French beans they brought me in lieu of the fries. The first course was quite substantial and my appetite has shrunk since I've been eating less and I couldn't finish the burger. All the puddings looked tempting but high carb so I passed on those and didn't want another plate of cheese after having that in the restaurant yesterday. Instead, I just had a coffee and watched, slightly enviously, as Alastair ate a lovely-looking crème caramel.

It must have been a very low carb (and fairly low calorie) meal so it shouldn't have had much effect on my blood glucose levels, although I didn't make the mistake of yesterday and waste some test strips when I got home, having had my first bite over 3 hours before. We've no more restaurant meals planned but at least I've proved to myself that I can now go out for a meal and not go over the top on carbs or calories.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a good meal of great choices @Mauriac

Friday today, and managed to knock off at midday! So after a little snooze got going with some DIY (moving old stair rail to new position on landing).

have been busying myself with other stuff for months, but finally put an end to the procrastination. Yay me!
The wood looks 10x better now i have cleaned it, sanded it, and rubbed in the first few fresh beeswax polish layers. Going to be lovely.

B: Bovril and collagen powder, vit supplements
L: tin of tuna with some mayo
D: smoked bassa fillet in cheese sauce. :wacky:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 12.2 at 7.30.

8.30 a quick meal of the last 2 small slices of bread, toasted (it was fairly stale) and butter. Needed to be quick in case my cleaning lady came on time for once. She came, but late, after all. BG 7.3 by the time she left at about 12.00.

Currently, there is a leftovers casserole in the oven - aubergine slices, salami shreds, little bits of mozzarella, about 200 ml of passata and some grated cheddar. Should be enough to keep me going. These are all left over from the baking for the tea party, except the aubergine, but it was running out of its welcome in the fridge.

DIL has seen a GP, and was scolded for leaving it so long (she only noticed the lump a couple of days ago) and she has been referred to Raigmore hospital in Inverness. A bit alarming especially as both her mother and grandmother had breast cancer.

I received a letter today, giving me an appointment at the Western Isles hospital Diabetes Clinic at the end of October - just so long, I suppose, as there is no further lockdown by then.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mauriac well done on your choices re your meals out. fbgs can be strange but it’s good news that low carb is impacting - it can quite quickly. But, unfortunately,something called dawn phenomenon often kicks in - its the body trying to be helpful providing energy in response to waking up and releasing cortisol and no food often means that figures rush up during the morning until you eat. Some people find it helps to have a small snack at breakfast time especially if fat based - boiled eggs or cheese for example - can stop it rising as much. Alcohol the night before can also lower the fasting Bgs. you are clearly making progress well done and keep going.
Breakfast after my fifth swim in a row - 250 lengths in total this week! - bacon,egg and half a toasted chaffle
Made a new batch of LC seeded crackers and had some for lunch with sardines in olive oil followed by 100% choc
Mid pm an odd tasting lc Adonis bar from a mixed box I bought a few months ago and put in cupboard - it was turmeric, orange and Brazil nut with coconut but won’t buy that flavour in future the turmeric made it taste oddly like curry rather than a sweet treat! Luckily only one of that flavour in the box! At least they are only 2g of carb per bar!
Dinner sea bream in lemon butter with celeriac chips and green beans followed by DGF gingerbread warm with double cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I'm confused. My morning fasting BGs are always between 7 and 8.5 - usually high 7s - low 8s. Today, at 08.40, using the last strip from my Sinocare machine I had 6.1 and then, because I didn't believe it, I did two on my Gluco RX and the readings were 5.7 and 5.5. What's going on? I never have readings that low, especially in the morning. I've only been on a low carb diet for 10 days so my glucose tolerance can't have improved that much surely.

To add tot he confusion, I've just done 3 more tests (at 10 past 12) having only had a coffee with almond milk and a teaspoon of cream (0.3g of carbs) 3 hours ago and the readings had gone up to 6.5 then 7.0 and then 7.1. Does this sound normal please? The very low early morning readings seem odd and for them to have gone up by about 1.5 points after several hours of not eating I just don't understand at all. Any thoughts gratefully received!

Setting of to the restaurant now so I'll see what that brings.
It's very likely Dawn Phenomenon. Goes back to our hunter gathering days when our bodies had to be gee'd up ready for the morning hunt for food. Our liver kindly releases sugar stores into the system and up goes our BGs! As they come down , DP is usually the last to descend. You'll see more than a few of us bemoaning morning readings. Usually eating something is enough to stop the liver dump. Other problems are when you fall ill. Up go the BGs and it's a battle to keep them in line. When you finally shake it off once again DP hangs about for a while. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.6 - @DJC3 & @Annb - cutting the avocado that way is also a good protection against avocado hand (when your knife slips). I hold it in a folded dish towel to be sure. Works every time. @Annb - glad your DIL got an appointment. Fingers crossed . Em is a bright little cookie. My two at the last swimming sessions insisted on being told old testament tales travelling back and forward. Cain was a mean so and so, Lot's wife wasn't too clever but that's a woman for you and, if God is everywhere, how come we can fit in?
B. TAG - 2 slices of skinny bread with pate.
L. Out shopping.
D. Butcher had GF chicken patties with pepper sauce. They're delicious. Minced chicken, well seasoned, bound with egg and pepper sauce sealed in the centre. The outside is wrapped with a streaky bacon border to keep it in place. Had it with veggie chips and 2 baby beets.

@ DJC3 - Had to laugh at Dennis. He would have been so proud of his trophy. @Chook - that seafood selection is my kind of food.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very likely Dawn Phenomenon. Goes back to our hunter gathering days when our bodies had to be gee'd up ready for the morning hunt for food. Our liver kindly releases sugar stores into the system and up goes our BGs! As they come down , DP is usually the last to descend. You'll see more than a few of us bemoaning morning readings. Usually eating something is enough to stop the liver dump. Other problems are when you fall ill. Up go the BGs and it's a battle to keep them in line. When you finally shake it off once again DP hangs about for a while. Hope this helps.

Thank you, and to @shelley262 too. I thought that DP came on before you woke up/as you were waking up, rather than some time later, or is this incorrect? My BG readings just before supper were 5.3 and 5.5 though so perhaps the liver dump was after I'd got up and taken my morning readings. Interesting.

Funny, at lunchtime I struggled to eat two courses and this evening I've really got the munchies and am having to stop myself from rampaging through that box of chocolates (and more besides). :D

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner: (Mr C is cooking) starter will be jumbo king prawns and scallops fried in butter with lemon and a small amount of finely chopped red chilli, followed by mussels (in their shells) steamed in a white wine, herb and butter broth
@Chook Please send Mr C here, now!

Reactions: maglil55