What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@PenguinMum - my greenhouse tomatoes are still fruiting but not as much as previously although the black Russians are doing better than the beefsteak tomatoes. My outdoor grown in tubs tomatoes (swapped as seedlings from other gardeners) look very sorry for themselves but the big surprise is the feral cherry tomato plants that grew in and amongst other veg from tomatoes that self seeded last year - they are just starting to fruit and their flavour is by far the best. Next year I will get Mr C to hack back the raspberries a bit and grow loads more mangetout, fennel and kohlrabi.

LOL

I just had a conversation with the new DN. I'd completely forgotten how different our way of dealing with our diabetes is.

Note to self: NEVER, EVER tell a DN that you have fasted for four days, regularly skip meals and snacks and avoid carbs as much as possible...

You can probably guess the way the conversation went. :shifty:

Basically she can't suggest anything apart from insulin.

At my last hospital stay the dietitian wanted me to eat every 4 hours because "I have UC/CROHNS and Diabetes I said but I only eat when I am hungry why would I eat every 4 hours she said it was because of my health issues so I let it be and didn't say anything more about it she wasn't happy with me when she new I was eating protein, butter and veggies only whilst in hospital and avoided the cereal bread and sweets and margarine..... sadly this is also what is told do do for ED years ago as I suffer from an ED that is what the dietitian and phycologist recommended me to eat.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My master shopping list is a saved master list on the Asda website and I just add other stuff to my weekly list as I find we need it - and generally it works very well. That is it DID work well until the Covid-19 lockdown and all the shortages. Asda still has some strange stock issues - such as last week there were no eggs available - which means we have to visit (shock! horror!!) an actual real life shop to get the stuff Asda couldn't supply. This week, as usual, I made a list of the items we hadn't received but forgot to take it with me. :arghh:.

@maglil55 - I've got a magnetic list pad on the fridge, too, trouble is its so nice I hate using it.

I finally remembered what the coffee, calendar, pen and notepad was doing on the table, thank goodness!

Today....

Breakfast: usual Sunday morning brunch - chaffle, baked beans and fried eggs

Dinner: pre-roasted lemon and herb salmon fillet flaked across a cesar salad (no croutons)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 13.6! Aargh!

Water and cups of tea for the first couple of hours of the day.

Had breakfast, so that I could inject some insulin. Probably more than I ought to have had. 2 small sausages, 2 rashers streaky bacon and 2 eggs, fried. Couldn't resist the eggs - DIL sent half a dozen fresh eggs last evening, laid by their hens that day. Wonderful golden yolks. Better than the normal free range eggs that I buy. Eating was about an hour ago so I haven't checked BG again yet.

BG stayed high yesterday, so much so that I took a small amount of extra insulin, with no food, to try to bring it down before bed and the basal dose. Didn't work, probably because I was too chicken and only took 10 units. Wasn't sure how much to take and probably underdid it. Then took 62 units of Toujeo at about midnight and hoped it would improve by morning. But, as you can see, it didn't really. Feeling a bit odd too. Kind of like "restless legs" but all over. Lungs a bit sore again. Maybe something to do with high BG, or the recent virus. Or not. Who knows? Took some Co-codamol (half dose) to take the edge off the soreness, which seems to have helped. Heigh ho. That's the way I roll, it seems.

Dinner will be steak - I bought a pack of 2 "picanha" steaks at the local shop yesterday. I assume it is top rump steak. Looks OK. Will have that with something made with courgettes, I expect. Or maybe grilled cucumber. Can't be too many carbs in that. Probably had as many calories as I can afford already, so may go a bit over by the end of the day.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
At my last hospital stay the dietitian wanted me to eat every 4 hours because "I have UC/CROHNS and Diabetes I said but I only eat when I am hungry why would I eat every 4 hours she said it was because of my health issues so I let it be and didn't say anything more about it she wasn't happy with me when she new I was eating protein, butter and veggies only whilst in hospital and avoided the cereal bread and sweets and margarine..... sadly this is also what is told do do for ED years ago as I suffer from an ED that is what the dietitian and phycologist recommended me to eat.

The dietician attached to the diabetes clinic at our local hospital, wanted me to eat 5 small meals a day, and to eat maybe twice the amount I have eaten for years. She assured me that I would never lose weight once on insulin. I just let her prattle on and ignored what she advised. OK, I haven't lost much weight but I most certainly would have put weight on, on her diet. I can't believe it would have done me any good to eat 5 times a day - I mean, how much insulin would I be injecting if I ate 5 carby meals/snacks a day? She also didn't think it was a good idea to keep testing BG.

I don't know if the idea of not testing is common everywhere, but I know that, in Falkirk, DIL's father was diagnosed as T2 but was refused a meter and strips because "it would just make him more worried than he needed to be". DIL, who was told she had gestational diabetes was never tested after having her third child and was only discovered to be diabetic just a short time before marrying No 2 son and becoming pregnant with Em. My mother-in-law, despite having acute pancreatitis was told she was not diabetic, so her BG was never checked. She lost one leg, then the other and eventually died. I am certain she was diabetic. Is it just Scotland? Or are these attitudes common everywhere?

Reactions: Chook

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb why do you think you ‘have to eat something so you can inject’ insulin?
correction doses of insulin can be taken at any time and food is not necessary.
We have had members who set their alarm at 4am to wake up, inject, then go back to sleep - in order to counteract their Dawn Phenomenon blood glucose rise, and there’s no way they were prepping a Full Fry Up at 4am! :)
Also, if your nurse knows you are on insulin, then she should NOT be discouraging you from testing, and she should be challenged for giving out such misinformation.

don’t think I posted yesterday’s food (but sorry if I did, and this is a repeat!)

B: kefir
L: LC GF cheesecake slice
D: jambalaya

today
B: omelette
L: won’t be necessary
D: we have been discussing a takeaway. I would like curry. Him Indoors would like sweet and sour. Looks like we’ll be making 2 separate orders! :hilarious:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb why do you think you ‘have to eat something so you can inject’ insulin?
correction doses of insulin can be taken at any time and food is not necessary.
We have had members who set their alarm at 4am to wake up, inject, then go back to sleep - in order to counteract their Dawn Phenomenon blood glucose rise, and there’s no way they were prepping a Full Fry Up at 4am! :)
Also, if your nurse knows you are on insulin, then she should NOT be discouraging you from testing, and she should be challenged for giving out such misinformation.

Actually - it's news to me that I can take insulin without food. That's not what I was told. That's not quite true, one nurse did suggest taking a small dose in the evening if BG is running too high. She seems to have moved on. But I didn't know how much was safe to take so I never did. Subsequent nurses have not been keen on the idea. But it seems, when my BG is high, 10 units of Fiasp isn't enough. I suppose I'll just have to edge it up bit by bit and see what happens. But it seems that it is not only here that this attitude occurs - other places in Scotland seem to be similar.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually - it's news to me that I can take insulin without food. That's not what I was told. That's not quite true, one nurse did suggest taking a small dose in the evening if BG is running too high. She seems to have moved on. But I didn't know how much was safe to take so I never did. Subsequent nurses have not been keen on the idea. But it seems, when my BG is high, 10 units of Fiasp isn't enough. I suppose I'll just have to edge it up bit by bit and see what happens. But it seems that it is not only here that this attitude occurs - other places in Scotland seem to be similar.

try googling ‘insulin correction dose’ and you will be swamped with information, much of it from very creditable sources

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Nope, they won't give people with 'just' T2 a meter and strips here (in Yorkshire) either unless the person is on insulin or other drugs that can affect BG. Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it) I am still written up for insulin on my doctors insistence which is how I get meters and strips prescribed for me. Mr C tells me that HGV drivers seem to be able to get prescribed meter and strips without insulin or meds so perhaps occupation might be a factor too.

You definitely don't need to eat each time you need a correctional dose of insulin, just be careful not to inject too much and test, test, test - and always have something close to hand to treat a hypo should you have over corrected.

I really don't understand why your DN is trying to limit the amount of insulin you use. Seems crazy to me.

I gain weight when using insulin which is why I resist using it but I think its becoming necessary right now.

Reactions: Antje77

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

haven't posted for two days, so have a bit of catching up to do.

@Annb -- Hugs for your daughter-in-low. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be okay. When will be her appointment.
@Rachox, @DCUKMod, @MrsA2, @Annb -- My vote definitely goes to the five-chip portion -- uneven numbers are auspicious in many East Asian countries with five being considered an especially auspicious number.
@Lindy-Lou01 -- Welcome to the forum and to the thread.

As to the shoping lists, I have to admit I'm just winging it. Of course, this usually also entails that some items are usally missing when we get home.

Yesterday...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with shrimp. Three scrambled eggs with spring onion tops and Manchego.

Lunch: Nothing. Leaving to Düsseldorf, some 30 minutes away from where I live

Early Dinner: At a Japanese Grill House (Düsseldorf has the largest Japanese community in Germany, maybe even in Europe). Ordered three small skewers of meat (salmon, scallops, duck and chicken) and two glasses of white wine.

Later: Two squares of 77% chocolate with candied orange peel, half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese, half a chicken Wiener.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and eryhritol. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. Three scrambled eggs with spring onion tops and Manchego cheese. Three small strawberries.

Lunch: Some h/m baba ghabough. 30g of 77% chocolate with candied orange peel. The last of the white chocolate experiment (maybe 20g).

Dinner: Probably some lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and grated parmesan. Will likely also fry up some mushrooms to add instead of chicken. Some dry red wine.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Switched back to two meals today as still felt stuffed this morning after yesterday.
Lunch smoked trout and scrambled eggs on half a toasted chaffle ( my freezer supplies of chaffles are getting low so will need to batch cook some more in a day or so if I can make some time) followed by 100% montezumas peanut butter egg
A few salted mixed nuts whilst cooking dinner.
Dinner steak with stuffed mushrooms and a few bits of onion and roast tomato with glass of dry red wine followed by DGF chocolate raspberry brownie with a few garden berries and cream.
Can’t wait for my swimming session first thing tomorrow - I’m feeling very nervous that, as it was one of last things to be allowed to open, it may be one of first to close if more restrictions applied so Im determined to book and hopefully go all next week. Mum has hospital appt again this week but hoping brother will be able to help this time I’m crossing fingers and toes.........

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The top rump steak was very good. I'll get that again. That and about a third of a cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and grilled made a very good meal.

Just heard that granddaughter has been flown away this evening to Aberdeen, things not going well and WI hospital came to the (fairly obvious) conclusion that they couldn't deal with it. She will probably have a C section tomorrow morning. Apparently the baby is going to be quite small - not quite 34 weeks after all, so they may be in Aberdeen for a while. Much better for her to be there, though. Her 2 other children are now living with their granny (DIL) for the duration - that means my son has to get Em to school here and then take the two grandchildren to school in Stornoway before going to work. DIL still waiting for an appointment from Raigmore and if she gets her appointment fairly soon, he'll be looking after them all, going to work AND running the laundry. He's heroic! Neil and I will have to try to pitch in and help. This has all come too early - he had booked his leave for 21/2 weeks time, thinking that's when everything would be going on.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A proper OMAD day today. Day out walking and riding the Tanfield Railway (the World’s oldest railway).

Dinner was at the aptly named Meat Stack restaurant. Burgers. With Baconnaise (sadly not carnivore baconnaise, but very good all the same). Some Hotel Chocolat choccie for dessert.

Weekend is definitely too short.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The top rump steak was very good. I'll get that again. That and about a third of a cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and grilled made a very good meal.

Just heard that granddaughter has been flown away this evening to Aberdeen, things not going well and WI hospital came to the (fairly obvious) conclusion that they couldn't deal with it. She will probably have a C section tomorrow morning. Apparently the baby is going to be quite small - not quite 34 weeks after all, so they may be in Aberdeen for a while. Much better for her to be there, though. Her 2 other children are now living with their granny (DIL) for the duration - that means my son has to get Em to school here and then take the two grandchildren to school in Stornoway before going to work. DIL still waiting for an appointment from Raigmore and if she gets her appointment fairly soon, he'll be looking after them all, going to work AND running the laundry. He's heroic! Neil and I will have to try to pitch in and help. This has all come too early - he had booked his leave for 21/2 weeks time, thinking that's when everything would be going on.

i had no idea that it was possible to cook cucumber! Does it taste any different from raw cucumber (apart from being hot, of course).

I am so sorry about your grand daughter and daughter in law. I hope both are okay and your grand daughter is definitely in the right place. x

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last day of holibobs, home tomorrow :(
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: coconut cappuccino and birthday cake phd bar
Late Lunch: bacon, scrambled egg and a leafy salad followed by DGF chocolate and orange brownie, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner at an American style diner: deconstructed cheese and bacon burger, no bun, 6 chips (sorry to the ladies who prefer 5!) followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola back in our lodge

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday had a visitor I thought would be open to low carb so pushed boat out
Mid afternoon : low carb coffee cake, home made
Dinner: hummus with crudités, then 2 flavours of roast chicken pieces, one lemon and olive oil, the other jerk style, with salads. Dessert homemade low carb cheesecake with raspberries, made and served in little pots. Red wine was drunk.

Felt sooo good to be entertaining again, and to say 'yes its all low carb"

Today, leftover cheesecake for breakfast, cheese for lunch, chicken and tomatoes for dinner

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i had no idea that it was possible to cook cucumber! Does it taste any different from raw cucumber (apart from being hot, of course).

No, cooked cucumber doesn't actually taste very different but the texture is softer, without being watery. I quite like it and I keep intending to try it with some spices on the cut surfaces, but I keep forgetting. It might also be improved by a squeeze of citrus juice of some kind, or herbs on the cut surfaces. I enjoy it just with a little salt though.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb hugs to your entire family, that is too much all at once.
Food was eaten, only a little of it verboten. It's Sunday... I ate @Rachox 's jaffa cake but it was hm pecan bars.
Church (streaming a recording made on Wednesdays) has been poignant during the whole lockdown, but recently has been even more so. Our worship/music minister was diagnosed a year or so ago with a particularly pernicious form of dementia. He's not yet 70. About a month ago, he lost his dad, who lived in a memory care facility I think, to Covid. The music since then has been evocative of all the loss in the whole world.
And I am an anxious wreck for having to visit a busy doctor's office tomorrow morning. The anxiety is over the fact that I am not able to have the kind of mask that will protect me myself and I. And she's on the fifth floor.....
Well, goodnight all. Prayers for mama's and yet-unborn baby's safety and health.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @zauberflote and @ziggy_w, for the kind wishes for our girls. Also @zauberflote, hug for your worries at present and trust all will be well. Do take care.

FBG 14.7! Speechless!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

BG now 16.3. This morning I've taken insulin with no food. Just to see if I can get it under control. I've looked online for information about correctional dosing but since I struggle with numbers (due to being petrified by a maths teacher during my years at the grammar school), I found it difficult to understand, so am just picking a number and seeing what happens. I will revisit the google sites and try again.

Once I see what happens with BG I'll have some brunch - Sausage, bacon and maybe another of those lovely eggs.

Later on will be an aubergine bake.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb I am not surprised you had high FBG with all the worry and stress. Wishing your DIL and grandaughter all the very best.
Missing in action yesterday. Has my usual breakfast. Lunch used the frying pan after Mr PM’s brunch and fried two eggs, 3 finely sliced mushrooms and a few cherry toms. Really enjoyed it. Supper was bbq for 2. It really just doesn't work for me on any level. I had two small lamb burgers, 2 meaty sausages and a chicken and pepper skewer. Also a portion of roasted med veg. But it was at 7.30pm because Mr PM doesnt like to eat early and he was the cook! Awful FBG today. Just remembered had a small pool of Nandos medium sauce on the plate so probably added to it! If I eat too much meat in one sitting it gives me issues, discovered that in a restaurant last year when I ordered lamb steak and salad and was served two lamb steaks and it was so nice I ate it all. Really bad FBG the next morning.
Today had my usual slice HiLo toast, thick butter, lots tea.
Lunch will be egg mayo and a little salad. Supper might well be the rest of the med veg.