What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb - so is the cooked cucumber a bit like over cooked courgette?

@MrsA2 - how lovely of you to prepare a meal that you can both eat. I think it makes so much difference when everyone eats the same thing - it makes this way of eating seem 'normal '. I won't be doing it this year (obvs) but each year for the past few years I've had a 'low carb' buffet party just before Christmas - very few people realised it was anything out of the ordinary.

I just had a phone call from my DN asking if I am okay and how I'm getting on with the insulin. I felt a bit foolish saying the prescription was only being delivered today. We had a fairly long conversation with her telling me all the positive things about using insulin and me telling her all the negative points. It ended up with me asking her if she'd ever used it herself.... because I really believe its one of those things you need to experience personally before hailing it a wonder drug. I'm not saying i don't need it at the moment but having spent 2010 to 2015 on it I think I probably have more experience of it than she has.

Breakfast: two boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers - BGs went up a stupid amount by 3.4 by two hour test

Dinner: will be h/m prawn curry and cauliflower rice

Drinks: black decaff coffee until lunch time then water for the rest of the day

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Annb hugs to your entire family, that is too much all at once.
Food was eaten, only a little of it verboten. It's Sunday... I ate @Rachox 's jaffa cake but it was hm pecan bars.
Church (streaming a recording made on Wednesdays) has been poignant during the whole lockdown, but recently has been even more so. Our worship/music minister was diagnosed a year or so ago with a particularly pernicious form of dementia. He's not yet 70. About a month ago, he lost his dad, who lived in a memory care facility I think, to Covid. The music since then has been evocative of all the loss in the whole world.
And I am an anxious wreck for having to visit a busy doctor's office tomorrow morning. The anxiety is over the fact that I am not able to have the kind of mask that will protect me myself and I. And she's on the fifth floor.....
Well, goodnight all. Prayers for mama's and yet-unborn baby's safety and health.

Good luck for your visit to the doctor's office. x

Reactions: zauberflote

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - so is the cooked cucumber a bit like over cooked courgette?

Actually, no. Overcooked courgette is much soggier. The texture is softer, but not soggy. When I remember to do it, I think I prefer it to uncooked. Not in a salad but just as a veg. It can be grilled or even fried in a little butter - too much butter might make it soggy, not sure about that.

After my attempt at a correction dose of insulin, BG came down to 13.2. So I took my usual slightly high dose of Fiasp before sausage, bacon and egg. BG has now dropped to 9.8. Must keep an eye on it since I'm feeling a bit odd just now. Maybe it was too much in one go.

No word yet about granddaughter (and new great granddaughter) but am waiting for No 2 son to arrive with the mail, so maybe he will have word.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb many hugs for your current worries - bound to put up your bgs
@Chook hugs for you too on your bgs and having to think about going back to insulin when you didn’t have good experiences for the five years you were on it before - you have done so well though to have managed the last five years coping without needing it a very complex situation I’m sure - do take care of yourself.
@zauberflote hope drs goes okay - sounds like you are living with a fair amount of sadness just now and it’s good you can appreciate music that reflects difficult emotion - music is so central to life
@PenguinMum i remember before you said that lots of protein affects your bgs I count myself very lucky that it dosent for me which is great as I eat a fair bit of protein- probably more than fats.
@MrsA2 congrats on your successful lowcarb cooking love it when plans work out
@Rachox safe journey home delighted for you that you’ve had such a brilliant holiday.
your time away too @Goonergal lookslike a success and jealous of your hotel choc visits!
Early morning swim for me which held me in good stead for a hard work caring day I’m booked for swimming tomorrow too - as brother has agreed to takemum for hospital appt tomorrow so thankfully- as dealing with a very difficult challenge here at moment - don’t need to race up to York’s tomorrow.
Lunch two boiled eggs taken with me
Mid pm a few (3) montezumas 100% mini eggs also taken with me!
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads followed by DGF gingerbread with cream.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Rachox -- Have a safe trip back home.
@Annb -- Hugs for all the things you and your family are going through right now. Hope you will get some positive news soon.
@Chook -- Hugs for the wayward blood sugars. I know you are not looking forward to possibly going back onto insulin. Hopefully a very small dose will do this trick.
@MrsA2 -- Definitely sounds like a very enjoyable low carb meal.
@shelley262 -- Enjoy your swimming tomorrow. Sounds like a fun way to get some exercise in.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: One half of a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese, the other half with chicken liver pate. A small serving of baba ghanoush (eggplant, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt, cumin, cinnamon, one sundried tomato and dried pasilla chili). About 20g of 77% chocolate with candied orange peel.

Dinner: A hamburger with gouda and guacamole on a roasted portabello mushroom. Some more of the chocolate and dry red wine.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Home from holibobs this afternoon :(
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Elevenses: coconut cappuccino with strawberry carb killa bar
Lunch breaking our drive home: spicy chicken wings followed by a packet of coconut bites.
Dinner back at home: cheese and tomato omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bit of a migraine threatened most of the day today, so slept a lot. Not sure why but a new podcast suggested the trigggers can be as much as 24 hours before.

Am really hoping it wasnt a nut bar from Aldi as they are very lush, and i can't believe they are as low carb as label says 5.9g each

Had missed breakfast then lunched on chicken drumstick, chorizo, olives and a couple of tomatoes, then the aforementioned nut bar. Should have tested bg but forgot.

Dinner was a Big Daddy steak from aldi for 2. 454g weight. Simply fried then left to rest and served with green salad. Excellent flavour and value... would just have done 3 of us but only 2 of us are here nom nom

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So last few days have been organising for a dinner party for some of my family who are coming over for dinner. Today was the day and I made Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes and fatoush salad and a fresh fruit platter and my sister made pana cota was a lovely day that's all I have eaten today I'm still very full.... but I'm exhausted I'm not used to cooking for that many people. I still eating some carbs but have cut back on them slowly getting there. But During the day we had a conversation about diet and I was trying to explain how the standard diet changed because low fat diet recommends we eat carbs like bread pasta etc and how the pyramid is used to suggest that but they argued with me that we should eat carbs that the pyramid does not suggest this and when I said look at the pyramid they kept on saying that we must eat carbs etc so I just kept my mouth shut no use arguing because they were not understanding what I was trying to say. They believe drugs are how to treat T2D and the current diet is the correct way and we should only stop junk food sure I agree with that but if your T2D eat less carbs also but it's there choice.
It's funny how the mention of a food can sometimes put tge taste into your mouth even if you're not eating it. Your Greek Lemon Chicken just did that to me.
As for the carbs debate, sometimes people cannot be convinced. We experience it enough with medical professionals. All you can do is show how it works for you and hope

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week I 'angry-ordered' some way too expensive bread mixes plus a pack of low carb crisps to get to the required 15 euros, and still had to pay postage.
The crisps were very horrible, but one of the bread mixes turned out to not be bread mix but a pack of very dense sliced bread, only 3.5 gr. of carbs a slice and I love the stuff!
Now I'm not going to order from this ridiculously expensive company ever again (apart from being ridiculously expensive they're now filling my mailbox with advertisements and asking for reviews) but I found something which looks remarkably like this bread on my supermarkets website! Fingers crossed it's the same, I'll have a look tomorrow!

Evening meal was vegetarian (almost vegan: I can't imagine my cheap mayonnaise contains many eggs), low carb, had lots of veggies, and had a very satisfying unhealthy fastfood feel :)
I was thinking lahmacun (Turkish pizza) when cooking, and this definitely satisfied the craving!

Low carb Atkins wrap with fried onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and Vivera shawarma, with tomato and cucumber, and smokey sriracha and lots of garlic sauce (mayonnaise, fresh garlic, drop of water and a little lime juice).

upload_2020-9-21_21-38-25.png

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 13.6! Aargh!

Water and cups of tea for the first couple of hours of the day.

Had breakfast, so that I could inject some insulin. Probably more than I ought to have had. 2 small sausages, 2 rashers streaky bacon and 2 eggs, fried. Couldn't resist the eggs - DIL sent half a dozen fresh eggs last evening, laid by their hens that day. Wonderful golden yolks. Better than the normal free range eggs that I buy. Eating was about an hour ago so I haven't checked BG again yet.

BG stayed high yesterday, so much so that I took a small amount of extra insulin, with no food, to try to bring it down before bed and the basal dose. Didn't work, probably because I was too chicken and only took 10 units. Wasn't sure how much to take and probably underdid it. Then took 62 units of Toujeo at about midnight and hoped it would improve by morning. But, as you can see, it didn't really. Feeling a bit odd too. Kind of like "restless legs" but all over. Lungs a bit sore again. Maybe something to do with high BG, or the recent virus. Or not. Who knows? Took some Co-codamol (half dose) to take the edge off the soreness, which seems to have helped. Heigh ho. That's the way I roll, it seems.

Dinner will be steak - I bought a pack of 2 "picanha" steaks at the local shop yesterday. I assume it is top rump steak. Looks OK. Will have that with something made with courgettes, I expect. Or maybe grilled cucumber. Can't be too many carbs in that. Probably had as many calories as I can afford already, so may go a bit over by the end of the day.
I've been sort of on and off for a few days. With me it tends to coincide with wearing a mask. It really knocks my sinuses out of sorts. Physio has told me to breathe through my mouth when wearing a mask. I think we have some lingering issues from all the weeks of illness. In my case, just no where near as bad as it was. Is your appointment still on for this week?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t managed to post for a couple of days, I’ve been a bit frazzled for various reasons. Haven’t eaten anything high carb but have definitely eaten too much and too often. I’m going to write those days off and never think of them again. Starting again from today -
Black coffee all morning
Lunch: scrambled eggs with cheese and chorizo. Raspberry bakewell DGF cake & Cream
Dinner: air fried pork chop with blue cheese sauce on wilted spinach
1 tot spiced apple gin this evening.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Water
L: A little bit of smoked salmon that needed eating up and then 50g of cold roast beef, lentils, kimchi, 2 sun-dried toms, a pear and 33g of St Augur and 20g of 90% choc. A coffee made with almond milk and a splash of double cream.
Afternoon snack. An oatcake with 33g of manchego.
Pre supper: 30g of nuts and 3 small glasses of sparkling wine with a splash of Pimm's (wanted to finish both bottles)
Supper: 7 small Linda McCartney vegetarian meatballs, 70g of Waitrose roasted red pepper and paprika pesto sauce and veg. Strawberries with 2% Greek yoghurt and 20g of 90% chocolate.

About 65g of carbs.

I have never had any Linda McCartney veg products before and for some reason felt vaguely negative about them. I have a dim recollection of reading, years ago, something about her products that wasn't very good but I might have imagined it. Anyway, the meatballs were ok, and might have been better than ok if I hadn't accidentally overcooked them. :arghh: They have 6.9g of carbs per 100g which equates to 4 meatballs, which they say is a portion but wasn't enough for me, a 6ft 4 20 stone man. 6 would have been fine but I was greedy and had 7 (they are pretty small :D)

I had them and the veg with 70g of Waitrose roasted red pepper and paprika pesto (which is really a sauce and not pesto-like at all). It is 189 calories and 4.7g of carbs per 100g and although I had 70g I would have been fine with only 50g, which would make it both low calorie and low carb. Definitely one for my shopping list.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
QUOTE="maglil55, post: 2310094, member: 52911"]I've been sort of on and off for a few days. With me it tends to coincide with wearing a mask. It really knocks my sinuses out of sorts. Physio has told me to breathe through my mouth when wearing a mask. I think we have some lingering issues from all the weeks of illness. In my case, just no where near as bad as it was. Is your appointment still on for this week?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, it's going ahead on Wednesday. I stopped the Metformin again yesterday and have booked a blood test for next Monday. Time will tell.

BG dropped eventually to 6.5 in the afternoon - 2 hours after lunch. But it rose again by the time I had my evening meal to 15.1. Took a much higher dose of Fiasp before eating and 2 hours later it was 12.8 and another hour later it was 11.4. Found some information about correction doses that I seemed to understand, but I'm not sure that I got it right. Couldn't believe that the dose I worked out was possible, so I reduced it. Took 48 units of Fiasp - 10 more than I have been taking recently. It is dropping a fair bit (9.9 right now), so I will check when I wake up in the night.

The aubergine bake was allright and fairly filling. I didn't eat as much as I intended and was pretty full. No quite as tasty as I expected - does anyone else find that cheese gets to be quite tasteless when it is cooked? I had to have some"full fat" tomato ketchup with it to give it some flavour.

Looking back through my old diaries, I saw that in 2015 I was taking 15 to 18 units of Humilin S before 3 meals (not low carb) and BG was under much better control than it is now. I guess I must now be more resistant than I was then.

When I got up this morning, I did my usual thing these days - had a glass of warm water and fell asleep again in the chair. Had a dream that started off really happily - I was with my late husband visiting a shipyard and I was so enjoying the familiar smells and sounds. It started to get less pleasant when he went away to do something and left me alone and the place became less and less familiar. I woke up to find that what I was actually smelling was teak oil. I had put a final coat of oil on the table about midnight last night and it was still pretty pungent. At least I enjoyed the first part of the dream. Teak oil gives me a headache. It's covered now with the protective pad and a cloth to keep the smell in.

No word yet from Aberdeen. My son thinks that the treatment that the WI hospital was unsuccessful with, has possibly worked a bit better in more experienced hands. Obviously they would prefer to leave the C section as late as possible, now that she's within reach of help if things start to go pear shaped. She's still only at 34 weeks and another week (or 2?) could make a lot of difference to the baby's wellbeing.

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb how awful! Kind wishes definitely extending to you-- this is going on long enough already. I agree with @PenguinMum, stress is huge for me too. Thank you for your hug, naturally all was well, "we know your palpitations are variable". So I'm relieved. Got overdue blood work at another doctor while I was on that side of town, too.
Thank you @Chook. See above. I was granted "oblivious to the risk-ness" and felt fine this morning.
Thanks @shelley262! Protein affects me too. I have found if I don't eat that morning egg, SOMETIMES the bg rises less. I'm thinking of you with your caring challenges....
@ziggy_w I am putting portabellos on my grocery list! We had some at DS house several weeks ago from a food co-op thing. Grilled on charcoal, yummy!
@Rachox I'm sad with you
@MrsA2 sending silence/darkness to you! I have this thing that is a migraine process but of the vestibular center. I can predict the weather sometimes! If a big change is coming or already here, "it's very vestibular out today" I say.
@Antje77 the bread sounds like my flax quick bread. Very dense and heavy. Hope your supermarket does have it! Your supper is a work of art!
@Annb again I think it depends on the cheese. Parmesan doesn't change, mozzarella was flavorless from the git go, cheddar it depends on how sharp, gruyere survives fondue-ing... etc? Lovely dream until the bad part! Thank you for the update on the baby. I'm sure you feel better knowing they're at a more-equipped hospital-- I do!
Monday foods
Bfast avocado, pecans, boiled egg, then flax crisps/dilute soy on the road. Lunch happened. Cottage cheese, dab of peanut butter, 2 small hm molasses-ginger LC cookies, seriously overdone in the toaster oven. This is a big fancy toaster oven, and it's a shame it doesn't bake as well as its bargain basement predecessor.
Supper a boiled egg, spinach/hm dressing filled out with a little mayo, pecans, cherry tomatoes, and there will be more flax crisps/dilute soymilk.
It's very chilly inside the house but we haven't turned the furnace on yet because it's going to warm up considerably starting tomorrow. So I'm out on the sunporch (do you have those? Three walls of sliding glass doors plunked on a convenient exterior house wall, with a door from inside of course. Common around here in ranch and split level houses from the 50's to the early 80's.) with the electric baseboard heater on. Very expensive to run but makes the room almost winter-proof!
Good night and good morning all!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t managed to post for a couple of days, I’ve been a bit frazzled for various reasons. Haven’t eaten anything high carb but have definitely eaten too much and too often. I’m going to write those days off and never think of them again. Starting again from today -
Black coffee all morning
Lunch: scrambled eggs with cheese and chorizo. Raspberry bakewell DGF cake & Cream
Dinner: air fried pork chop with blue cheese sauce on wilted spinach
1 tot spiced apple gin this evening.

Sometimes "things" just gets in the way of life, I find. I hope you get some peace soon.

Was the spiced apple a concoction of your own? If so, what was your "recipe", although, if you're anything like me, it'll be a splodge of this and a dollop of that, rather than measured ingredients.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday bed 6.9 FBG 6.7
@Chook - I have a few of these magnetic fridge pads. They are pretty. SIL brought quite a few from Australia so they have various Australian flora & fauna on them. @Goorergal - I've stayed in the Hilton a few times too when I worked as it was tge favoured location for conferences. I enjoyed watching the bridge I must admit. Malmaison was selected last year because it was within walking distance of 21 - a really good but expensive restaurant.
Sunday B. TAG and the last of my skinny bread toasted with pate.
L. Nothing. Boys swimming lessons started back today. Still no sign of my swimming though .
D. Chilli rubbed beef kebabs and a veggie kebab. 2 squares of Godiva and my usual campari and soda.

Eldest grandson was a bit nervous at all the changes at swimming at first but thankfully it was his same class so he settled quick. Younger one was delighted because his group were "promoted" to the deep end! We have a bit of wander though. No longer allowed in the viewing gallery so once they go in we have to walk right through the campus, out the emergency exit and back around to the cars where we wait until it's time to get them at the changing room and do the whole circuit again! Ah well next week we'll know.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good morning all!

Day one back to using insulin - its a relief (in a way) to see a decent number at the two hours after breakfast test but not so nice that it wasn't something I could achieve without assistance.

Breakfast: Mackerel fillet fried in butter with a drizzle of apple cider vinegar

Dinner: naked cod loin sort of poached in h/m puttanesca sauce with Aldi black bean spaghetti and broccoli

Drinks: black decaff coffee until lunch and then just water

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zauberflote - I'm so glad it all went well for you yesterday x

@shelley262 - I'm another one that gets a BG reaction to stress - I hope your caring issues get resolved. Big hug coming your way.

@Annb - thank goodness your grand daughter has been moved to a better hospital!! So worrying for you all! Good luck for Wednesday x

@MrsA2 - i am so sorry about your migraine *hug* Mr C takes Propanalol for his migraines and luckily they have more or less stopped. He used to get one literally EVERY weekend. Horrible things We never did find out what actually caused them but there were plenty of things that seemed to make them worse... like standing up, daylight, eating...

@DJC3 - well done for sticking to low carb foods during such a difficult time. I hope whats causing your frazzle is easing up - big hug coming your way too x

@Mauriac - I've not tried the Linda McCartney meatballs but I love their mozzarella burgers and the red onion and rosemary sausages. Even my meat eating husband thinks the burgers are better than meat ones.

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
It's funny how the mention of a food can sometimes put tge taste into your mouth even if you're not eating it. Your Greek Lemon Chicken just did that to me.
As for the carbs debate, sometimes people cannot be convinced. We experience it enough with medical professionals. All you can do is show how it works for you and hope
Oh I hope it was a good feeling of taste for you. :) It was the first time I made it as normally make it the Lebanese way but decided to try this recipe and was a success. yes the carb debate is very conflicting as we have been constantly told that is what we should eat regardless yet so many people are suffering from some form of metabolic condition and for some reason the Mediterranean diet is classed as the best way of eating due to low fat and well why do carbs taste so good LOL