1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Hi this is the ham and cabbage soup. I boil spuds separately and just add them to the other bowls of soup. You need an instant pot/ pressure cooker in order to get the ham stock to begin with. https://www.feistytapas.com/2017/01/instant-pot-ham-and-cabbage-soup/
    Other soups which are popular here are https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-no-noodle-chicken-soup - I make this a lot
    And https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/ethiopian-spicy-doro-wat-soup unusual with the hard boiled egg in it but it was a great hit with everyone.
    You’re right about opened pack of nuts. I usually put them in a Tupperware right at the back of a cupboard to save me from myself!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

FBG 10.4 today. Could be worse.

Water, tea and pills so far. Had to start off with a full dose of Co-codamol today - could barely move but the Co-codamol has had an effect and I am now able to move around a lot more easily.

In a while I will make the cabbage thoran which Bex72 write about. It sounds so good and I am looking forward to it.

Dinner will be a couple of sausages and maybe some scrambled eggs. I have some mushrooms in the fridge as well, so will have them as well.

Em is due to come in on her way home from school this afternoon so it will be her chance to make the apple strudel she was asking about. I will get her to add some vanilla cake crumbs left after the "tea party" (several fairy cakes still in the box). She will probably want to add dried fruit as well - I never liked apple with dried fruit, but I'm not going to be eating it. There will be no cinnamon - her Mum can't take cinnamon, for some reason. Have to think of another spice to use instead. Ginger? Cardamom? Cloves? Have to get Em to try them and decide.

Elder granddaughter is still being kept "stable" and on opiates to reduce her pain. Doctors have acknowledged that the longer she is kept on painkillers and on medicine to stop her feeling sick, the more likely it is that the baby will be born addicted to them and will have to spend some time being weaned off. Sounds ridiculous to me - she is now almost at 36 weeks and the baby should be allright being delivered now. Even if she is small, it would, surely, be better kept in intensive care while she grows, rather than, later in intensive care being weaned off drugs. Her mum has been on steroids to help develop her lungs and put on some weight. We all think it would be better to deliver her now. The hospital doesn't see it that way, obviously. I'm really not sure what we can do. It may be that I am only getting half the story and there may be a good reason for all this.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@zauberflote here are pics of the pack and ingredients. 20200929_222335_001.jpeg 20200930_084335.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Hug for you and elder granddaughter. I pray the baby can be born without addiction but if not both lives are secured and treatment solves the problem. Life sure ain't dull for you but as Rod said, you wear it well.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Annb

The special lamps Neil bought for me seem to have helped the indoor plants - apart from the parsley. Maybe that has been the problem all along - low light levels. One day, I will manage to grow things indoors. Outdoor plants seem to do allright, which is why I have ordered all the fruit bushes. They will be grown in tubs - probably an issue in itself, because we are surrounded by grazing land and the grass/weeds just keep spreading into our garden and smothering everything planted - other than montbretia, willow, ferns and other tough plants. Even the mint was strangled.

Our Island is the Isle of Lewis - the most northern of the Outer Hebrides. It is soggy for much of the year but we have big skies. The land is fairly low lying and we can see a whole lot of sky at all times. Can't see much else when it's raining, of course. We have a saying here - if you can see the mainland, it's going to rain; and if you can't see it - it's raining already. A bit unfair, we do have our good days and it's actually been drier these last 2 or 3 years, than normal.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Ann - Have you considered trying your herbs outdoors? The only things I even start indoors are ginger, and lemongrass.

The ginger only stays indoors until I am comfortable it has a root system, and the lemongrass was a little longer, as it was rather slow sprouting. Coincidentally, I have been hardening that off over the last several days and planted it out yesterday.

I've kept a little lemongrass back in the cold frame, as a bit of an insurance policy, but I have plenty seeds left too.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Mauriac

Mauriac Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

We've bought parsley already growing in a pot (the flat leaf variety) and it does ok for a while but doesn't really seem to thrive. The same with thyme. Basil does the best for us. We currently have what looks like a basil forest in a pot. It's been growing like crazy since the spring.

@Bex72 Sorry to hear about your family's covid outbreak. Hope you're all over it soon.

Could you make green tomato chutney with the green tomatoes?

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  8. Annb

I do have some herbs growing outside. They won't survive the winter and I am still hoping to have some growing indoors to keep us going until spring. I might have left it too late though.

Outside I have some sad looking parsley,some bay, some mint, some rosemary, some sage, some basil and some lavender - even sadder looking than the parsley. That's another thing that doesn't do very well here. Now, if we could eat willow or montbretia we'd be well in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mauriac

Mauriac Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I would never have thought of combining coconut and cabbage. As you make this dish it must work - I'll have to try it.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Evening all.

Seem to have a serious case of the munchies at the moment. Having munched my way through most of the ‘snacky’ bits and bobs in the flat, it’ll have to come to an end.

Aside from Lindt 90%, today’s food has been:

Breakfast of salami and chorizo
    Lunch of 2 Barnsley lamb chops picked up alongside a haul of oxtail and ribeye from the butcher this morning
    Dinner of air fried chicken wings coated in chilli oil and salt

• Like Like x 9
  11. ianpspurs

Good evening.
    B= much tea with almond milk - 2 with 2 x tsps inulin; Moana and joy from Granddaughter. Snack: - 800 mls CWC and Monin SF caramel syrup. Lunch : Pastrami salad with vinaigrette topped with chia and flaxseeds lots more Assam tea. Main meal:Mackerel and 100 gms avocado chunks (from frozen) salad with more spiffing vinaigrette and seeds. I think it is the taste of ACV that drives my fondness for salad with vinaigrette. @Mrs T 123 - I probably should badger Drs for A1c and full bloods but I have been thoroughly disillusioned with LC since Jun’19. Any “poor” result could make me say stuff it. One theory is the little rugger that was growing away on my bladder impacted my bg at that point. May be of interest to some.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #40771 ianpspurs, Sep 30, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  12. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Missed swimming this morning as had bad reaction in the arm where I’d had the pneumonia vaccination- it’s still sore but kept me awake last night with a lot of cramping in the upper arm muscle- not a place I usually have cramp so gave it a miss and hope to get back to it tomorrow.
    @Goonergal think it’s harder to control the snacking when stuck indoors and with wet dismal weather outside let’s hope it’s brighter tomorrow and the temptations are all gone!
    Breakfast one each of bacon rasher and egg with half a toasted chaffle
    Lunch and pre lunch got a bit tempted by my pot of mixed nuts so ate too many, then had lc seed crackers with Stilton and a slice of prosciutto
    Mid pm to cheer myself up two Montezumas 100% mini eggs
    Dinner two lamb chops, celeriac chips and coleslaw then pudding of a DGF gingerbread with yoghurt.
    Definitely ate more today than comfortable with but I’m trying to be kind to myself during a very stressful period atm so will just try and get back to it tomorrow!

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  13. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The light up gin looks interesting would be a good pressie for someone I know! Thank you for link @ianpspurs

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. ianpspurs

Maui time :angelic:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  15. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Evening all. Hug for the sore arm @shelley262 . I’m having flu jab on Saturday but not pneumonia as far as I know. Hope it’s better tomorrow.
    Today I had black coffee as usual. Then a friend came round for coffee just as postman delivered my new DGF order so I felt we should try the new coffee&walnut one. It was lovely, and good to have actual cake texture rather than the brownie/ blondie for a change, Nice as they are.
    Lunch was 2 air fried chicken drumsticks 1 slice Edam then chocolate chia pudding.
    Dinner was the Iceland spicy king prawn thing @maglil55 put me on to. Had it with wilted spinach then a lc custard with strawberries.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@DJC3 thanks for the soup ideas - they float my boat.

@shelley262 sorry about the sore arm - you are quite right be kind to yourself and yeah tomorrow's another day ...

@Goonergal I am eating too much 90% lindtt too and ... nuts ... and ... cheese ... and ...

@Annb Hope all goes well with your grand daughter and the new baby - they are in the best place

Brunch - 1 slice seriously low carb toasted with guacamole and chia seeds on top. Mug of earl grey.

Dinner - Omlette with mushrooms, onions, cheeses and tomato. 2 squares of 90% Lindtt dark chocolate .. and then another 2 squares after that (tasty)

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@Annb hugs for mother-to-be. So hard to know the full story. I am glad that she was moved when she was, though! And I would never imagine mint losing an encroachment battle-- it's as bad as bamboo! My sister and I planted a tiny herb garden in the parking lot of our parents' business one college summer. The mint ran through the whole gravel parking area, and the parsley survived a southern Vermont winter due to a good snow cover. I made alot of thyme jelly, which was oddly tasty on peanut butter sandwiches!
    A very tired day today, missed 3 hours of sleep. I knew I'd need lunch to keep rolling-- it's an all-day watch-the-baby fest, and he's in a fussy spell. Daddy wrecked his back Sunday morning and still home from work, Mommy up with baby twice in the night and I'm sure she wanted to fuss and wail just as much as he has!
    Bfast was spread out over hours. 3 boiled eggs, pecan guacamole, spiced flax meal made into an edible paste with the soymilk. No time to make crisps. Taking poor waily baby for second walk so Mommy could hear herself teach.
    Oooo thanks @SlimLizzy! The first ingredient is potatoes! Aside from those, it looks like "cream of green stuff" soup, easy to throw together. You have better quality packaged food there than we do here, for sure.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
    Lunch: small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
    Mid afternoon coffee shop visit: coconut cappuccino and birthday cake phd bar.
    Dinner: salmon with peppercorn sauce and roasted veggies followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@zauberflote here are pics of the pack and ingredients.
    I noticed the potatoes first as well, but carb level was low enough for me. @4.2 per 100ml, 11g per 250g portion.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Finally got to see a physio/sports injury guy today. I have a back that has been twinging off and on for nearly 2 years now and after it really hurt a couple of weeks ago, bit the bullet and decided to pay. Verdict was its actually my hamstring where it attaches to the spine so devising some exercises. He also said I was "tiny" which has never been used to describe me before and "flexible and hypermobile in the hips" and that I have low blood pressure... I did look around but there was no one else there so it was me he was talking about. Wonders will never cease :happy:

Hungry day today so
    2 scrambled eggs for breakfast
    lunch Hm broccoli soup with added avocado and blue cheese
    Dinner leeks cooked in cream and butter with bacon
    Inbetween far too much of @Rachox chocolate granola, which even burnt, is far too tasty

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook