What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what they'll taste like @zauberflote. I don't eat blueberries at all, but Em does and I thought this might make an interesting change for her. We'll find out next year when it fruits. All the fruit I am trying to grow is for Em - berries aren't the best thing for me to have. Might try one or 2.

I'm going to try to pickle the latest "crop" of fuchsia berries (a 1lb jam jar full). As a fruit, they are not too sweet, but they don't go very far. I'm pickling some cucumber this evening anyway, so might as well do the fuchsia berries at the same time.
Its always great fun growing food which I only discovered this year out of boredom and necessity. I think its lovely you are growing the berries for Em and so hope they are very successful. Anyone know if you can cook radishes? I have quite a crop but am off salad atm. Making soup now ,ore up my street though not as carb safe!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate some off mushrooms (didn't know they were too far gone at the time!) in a hotel eat-it-all-up-before-flying-home breakfast a few years ago. My flight was unhappy digestively....
Thanks but belated hug for the mushroom flight...that must have been so uncomfortable mot to mention stressful!

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian I am always keen to give “new” bread a go and it wasnt expensive so no worries. Thanks for the suggestion.
Interesting that I searched high and low to get some Hi Lo bread which I didn't like. It is the dense texture of this type of bread I like. Used to like the high carb version before LC.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting that I searched high and low to get some Hi Lo bread which I didn't like. It is the dense texture of this type of bread I like. Used to like the high carb version before LC.
Aww the beauty of individualism! LivLife is ok but a bit thin and a bit cardboardy toasted. I like HiLo because it is a small but thicker very seeded slice which when toasted retains a chewiness inside.

Reactions: Annb and ianpspurs

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its always great fun growing food which I only discovered this year out of boredom and necessity. I think its lovely you are growing the berries for Em and so hope they are very successful. Anyone know if you can cook radishes? I have quite a crop but am off salad atm. Making soup now ,ore up my street though not as carb safe!
I roast radishes in a bit of oil. Can then add them to quiche or frittata. We quite like them.
Also nice finely sliced with vinegar and lime as a pickled type relish
All the above may need adjusting for low carb

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I roast radishes in a bit of oil. Can then add them to quiche or frittata. We quite like them.
Thanks for the tip. I quite like the idea of them as a roasted veg...how long in the oven?

Reactions: ianpspurs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just don't like nut butters at all. I try every so often but, like blue cheese, I just can't take to them.

Have to agree. Not keen on nut butters, except maybe as an ingredient but no way could I eat blue cheeses, although lots of people rave about them. I had a friend who refused to let her new husband bring his favourite blue cheese into her kitchen. Luckily, my husband couldn't stand it either. I daresay No 2 son would happily eat it - he doesn't mind mould, even on things that he shouldn't eat mouldy. He'd eat it rather than throw it out. So wouldn't accept a recommendation from him!

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 20 minutes. They go pale pink and light brown

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very tasty tea tonight
Steak with pepper butter served with cauliflower cheese made just with cream cheese and mozzarella. Dessert of lc carrot cake, few blueberries and little dc cream
Might have had one glass of wine as well.

Lunch had been 1 egg chaffle, ham and cheese slice.
No breakfast as slept in with a headache. Wondering if that was a result of yesterday's proper cake.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: kefir
L: ham and cheese
D: last night I cooked 2 x half lamb shoulders with celeriac in ras el hanout spices (in Instant Pot). Had the first large portion this evening. Rather nice.

v long and tiring day, so likely heading for an early night...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Made a very tasty vegetarian moussaka for my visiting friend and myself with a very cheesy and yummy bechamel sauce :)

Its always great fun growing food
No it isn't. :grumpy:
I got a present of 14 young kale plants to plant out in the garden a week ago, so I put them in the one little corner where no rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs or goats are present to eat everything.
So I don't know what ate them, but the only thing left today was a couple of empty stalks.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
[QUOTE="PenguinMum, post: 2315552, Anyone know if you can cook radishes? I have quite a crop but am off salad atm. Making soup now ,more up my street though not as carb safe![/QUOTE]

I believe there are ways to use radish in casseroles and stew. Seems to remember a lot of chat about it last summer. Hope you get some useful responses

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and peanut phd bar.
Late Lunch: two individual portions of mature cheddar followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Exhausting day today, in a good way. Food as follows
B: lots of coffee. scrambled eggs on smoked cheese on Seriously low carb bread toasted. Loved it.
L: couple of seedy crackers with h/m mackerel pate. Lots of tea with almond milk.
D: roast chicken with salad, including avocado and h/m ranch dressing. 1 DGF raspberry bakewell.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made a very tasty vegetarian moussaka for my visiting friend and myself with a very cheesy and yummy bechamel sauce :)

I got a present of 14 young kale plants to plant out in the garden a week ago, so I put them in the one little corner where no rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs or goats are present to eat everything.
So I don't know what ate them, but the only thing left today was a couple of empty stalks.
Snails, slugs or pigeons :arghh:

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

When we first moved to this Island we were told that in spring and summer all the sheep from the village would be out on the moor, so although our fences were a bit dilapidated, we should be able to plant things. We planted 100 cabbage plants, some potatoes, some brassicas and felt very happy with ourselves. When we woke up next morning, the croft had been invaded by someone's sheep and our carefully planted greens had all been pulled up from the ground and dropped beside the hole they came from. A newly planted cabbage is no match for a sheep tugging at it but once up, they clearly didn't like them and just left them there. We put up new fences before trying to grow anything else.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When we first moved to this Island we were told that in spring and summer all the sheep from the village would be out on the moor, so although our fences were a bit dilapidated, we should be able to plant things. We planted 100 cabbage plants, some potatoes, some brassicas and felt very happy with ourselves. When we woke up next morning, the croft had been invaded by someone's sheep and our carefully planted greens had all been pulled up from the ground and dropped beside the hole they came from. A newly planted cabbage is no match for a sheep tugging at it but once up, they clearly didn't like them and just left them there. We put up new fences before trying to grow anything else.
Oh, not laughing at you, but still :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:!
Glad I'm not the only one, gladder still I didn't plant so many! I'm sorry about your greens, really!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- The cake looks absolutely wonderful -- I agree the batter always tastes sweeter than the cake itself.
@MrsA2 -- Those radish dishes sound delicious and perfect for low carb. I would be surprised if they needed any adjusting.

Probably coming down with a cold (kind present from my husband who's been suffering with it since Tuesday).

Also ordered an ice cream maker, I've been dreaming of for the last few years. Found a very good deal on Amazon Italy, but the order got cancelled. Now ordered the same machine for a little bit higher price and hope that this order won't suffer the same destiny as the last.

Can't remember what I had yesterdy, but here goes today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: The last of the boeuf bourgignon with cauliflower mashed with butter and potato fiber. A third of a Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan.

Edited to add snack: About 10g of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: Three thin slices of the large piece of ribeye, I cooked sous vide last week, fried with mushrooms and sliced cornichons, creme fraiche and bit of mustard. Half a DD keto roll with butter. A few radishes on the side. Some dry red wine.

Last edited: