What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyday is a school day. Grilled cucumber sent me scurrying to google and first off was this then this. There may be hope for hot/warm food yet. Thank you @Annb. @maglil55 I abhorred B and B pudding pre LC but LC does strange things to a fella and I have been thinking of a recipe for that for some time. I will keep my eyes peeled for yours. Sour cherries in brandy sounds like something I could live with.
I always loved B&B pudding but there's never been a suitable bread LC until now. I get what you're saying though, there are things that I hated pre diabetes and yet I love them enough now to work out substitutions- fish & chips being the oddest dislike to love. I still can't take to blue cheese though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyday is a school day. Grilled cucumber sent me scurrying to google and first off was this then this. There may be hope for hot/warm food yet. Thank you @Annb. @maglil55 I abhorred B and B pudding pre LC but LC does strange things to a fella and I have been thinking of a recipe for that for some time. I will keep my eyes peeled for yours. Sour cherries in brandy sounds like something I could live with.

Your first link didn't work, Ian, but the second one did. Interesting to see that someone roasts cucumbers. I haven't done that so far, but I will. I usually just cut a cucumber in 1/2 or 1/3rds and then split it lengthwise. Add herbs and salt, and maybe lemon juice and either grill or fry in butter. I also saw a cooking programme on TV which cut the cucumber into about one inch chunks, marinaded them and made kebabs with them and chicken. I'll be trying that as well. Worth trying, if you prefer your veg cooked. It changes the texture very slightly without making it soggy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your first link didn't work, Ian, but the second one did. Interesting to see that someone roasts cucumbers. I haven't done that so far, but I will. I usually just cut a cucumber in 1/2 or 1/3rds and then split it lengthwise. Add herbs and salt, and maybe lemon juice and either grill or fry in butter. I also saw a cooking programme on TV which cut the cucumber into about one inch chunks, marinaded them and made kebabs with them and chicken. I'll be trying that as well. Worth trying, if you prefer your veg cooked. It changes the texture very slightly without making it soggy.
should work, (I can't stand horseradish)

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs I had to look up reem. Occurs 9 times in Hebrew bible. Can be translated as unicorn.... or there's the Urban Dictionary meaning....?
@MrsA2 if eating eggs can turn you into a chicken, the foxes would have gotten me about 40 years ago. Watching your case with interest
@maglil55 we lived on one iteration of our marathon's route for about 10 years. I always had to work on that day so would have to park my car out at the little shopping center so I could get out. Loved to watch the Kenyans go by. B&B pudding. Mom made it once. It sat there, and sat there, and not even Dad could drum up enthusiasm. Why spoil a perfectly good piece of buttered toast lol? Re Lothian-- part of our greater metro area is called Midlothian. There were active coal mines there long ago. I'm just learning that it's a Scottish derived name! Bravo for Arran!!, although much good it's doing them now.
@ianpspurs again -- and I can't stand Martha Stewart so maybe we're even!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Thanks to all who wished me better and for the comfort food suggestions. I am recovering well now from Covid and got dressed and out for the first time in 4 weeks today.
I drove my daughter to school and popped into the nearby Waitrose before coming home. Whilst in the checkout queue I realised that I had picked up the wrong bag and left my purse at home. I explained to the employee (who'd directed me to a green dot to stand on) that I'd need to leave the shopping and return with payment and that I'd been ill for a month, she asked/guessed what I'd been ill with. She spoke to her boss and they let me take the food and just asked me to pop back later eith payment. They then gave me a bouquet of flowers. I had to try really hard not to cry. I was amazed by how kind and lovely people can be.

It has been the worst illness I've ever experienced. I am so happy to be getting better and for my family to be getting better. I am so thankful that my parents didn't get covid.

I'm feeling nauseous and have the foul taste still. Covid is still upsetting my stomach. My blood glucose is a bit higher than I would expect, I haven't felt well enough to test often.

I'm about to make a nice salad for dinner. It will include a salsa with diced cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, coriander, lime juice, chilli. Some halloumi cheese too.

I really just want a toasted cheese sandwich but will be strong.

I'm still using tomatoes and chillies from the garden which is amazing.

Sending love and hugs, keep well and safe and keep your distance.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a lovely experience in Waitrose @Bex72. Glad you’re feeling a bit better.

Today has been a hungry day. Or more accurately a ravenous day.

Had breakfast in a cafe near the new office. 2 fried eggs, bacon and some grated cheese.
Lunch at another cafe (working my way around to see which will become the regular). More fried eggs, bacon, a small burger and a frankfurter.
Had planned to go without dinner as I had an early evening hair appointment, but still hungry so grabbed a 25g bag almonds, a peperami and a 20g piece of cheese from Tesco. Followed up at home with some cream whipped with cocoa and erythritol.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying an experiment this week to see how OMAD suits me. Eased myself in with
b: 50g ff greek and tablespoon lc granola
L: chicken, kale and carrots reheated in cream with 90 sec bread and added cheese
Couldn't mange any more and that was way under macros but its now 6 hours later and I'm still feeling stuffed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all who sent get well good wishes. Glad you are finally feeling a bit better after your Covid ordeal @Bex72 that’s a lovely story about your Waitrose trip.
Today I had breakfast around 9am - mushroom and cheese omelette.
Next meal around 5:30 was a LoDough pizza I just fancied something warm with cheese bubbling on top and that was the simplest option. Followed with SD jelly, cream and grated 100%chocolate on top
@Goonergal can you still walk to work at your new office? Good luck with the cafe vetting.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - have you got Julie back now? @Bex72 - that was indeed a lovely experience. I'm an untested long term case. Testing is pretty hopeless in Scotland and at the time I fell ill you had no chance. My GP is pretty certain it was covid as I had every symptom going and was very long term. @Annb is another suspected case. I do know how you feel but you will get better. I'd say I'm about 95% now. GP says there's no point in getting tested as I'm so long term it probably won't show up. Glad to say my taste came back and the nausea went away. My most irritating issue is nasal problems but that can be dealt with. You'll get there.
Sunday bed 6 2 FBG was also 6.2.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with M&S whipped cheese.
L. Nothing - boys swimming lesson day.
D. Usual campari and soda. @Goonergal - a very carni meal! Butcher had some great looking T Bones. It was a struggle but we managed one each - mine with mustard!
2 squares 85%.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't stand horseradish either, so roasted cucumber with horseradish isn't for me. Somehow don't think the cream would be very good with it either.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar
Socially distanced friend’s birthday lunch out: cheeseburger with salad in place of bun and fried halloumi in place of chips
Dinner: cheese and tomato omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Bex72 -- So glad your feeling a bit better.
@maglil55 -- Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am absolutely fine again -- never had a cold gone so soon. Cherries in brandy sound great. I wonder whether apricots (cubed) or maybe rhubarb (maybe without the brandy though) could work too?
@zauberflote -- Yes, the egg whites were relatively stiff, once you add the other ingredients they become a bit more liquid anyway.

The icecream maker arrived today -- quite some machine, large and heavy -- happy I didn't get the larger one. It came with a bunch of recipe. Might start with the sesame icecream, there is also a recipe for tomato sorbet.

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A tub of chicken liver pate (120g).

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami. A spoonful of baba ghanoush. Edited to add: Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan.

Dinner: Three lamb cutlets with a spoonful of cauli-mash (with butter and potato fiber) and zucchini and bellpepper in a tomato cream sauce.

Edited to add -- Late night snack: Half a DD keto roll with butter. Some cheese.

Third day without wine. Blood sugars were a lot better today, maybe tomorrow they'll be back to normal.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast, usual nut granola, and 2 CWC
CWC
lunch: pate, the crusty end of a fresh loaf with butter. Salad, some from the garden, cornichons, tea
dinner: the last of the beef casserole, asked MrSlim to cook me some of the frozen celeriac puree. Not a huge success, bit grey and sloppy really, but edible. Carrots and savoy cabbage, the first few baby leeks from garden. Fizz. Chocolate and cheese after.
Tomorrow taking Cat to new (more expensive, but seems clean and tidy) vet for his op. MrSlim says he is keeping an accounting of Cat costs. I do hope not... still one more vet visit, after tomorrow, before we leave for UK,
Lots of food in freezer still, will need to eat most of it in next twelve days, motorhome has only a tiny freezer compartment in the fridge and it might have no power at all while on the overnight ferry.
Feeling a bit warm and flushed. Guessed BG would be high after eating chocolate and cheese. Curiosity test 4.6 ???
How can that be? Cant remember last time i saw a 4. Tested twice, same result both times

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Behind so will do today's food.
Bfast avocado, pecans, boiled egg, a little cottage cheese (trying to learn "social cottage cheese consumption" and not getting far), 2 sq Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk. Which took me right up to
"Lunch" the other boiled egg, way too many cherry tomatoes, and something else but can't remember
Pre-barre a few spoons of skyr yogurt/olive oil
Supper spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy, and who knows what. Not gum-up-the-works cheese, definitely!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Bex72 what a beautiful gesture at Waitrose! That kind of thing ought to make the news more often! Soooooo glad you and family are getting better.
@MrsA2 you go girl!
This horseradish/cucumber thing. Hmmm. Not sure I'd want to risk the guaranteed chill of a cuke right out of the fridge (or straight off the vine, it's still refreshing!) to take the time to roast it. If someone offered me it, sure! But that cuke in my veggie drawer? I'm going to slice a chunk off in about 10 minutes for supper!
@ziggy_w tomato sorbet-- pleeeeease make that! I want to hear about it!
@Antje77 it's like "social drinking" I binge on cottage cheese and it has, um, plugging-up effects on my digestion.
Y'all left the lights on again! I swear! Lights out, hope all are sleeping well, good morning to early risers!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday Bed 6 FBG 5.6 and I actually got back in the 4's yesterday. @zauberflote - I agree. The minute I read @ziggy_w tomato sorbet I thought now that's something I would like!
@Mrs T 123 & @DJC3 - My order from SLC is apparently due for delivery today (Tuesday). Ordered Saturday afternoon. So it seems ordering direct is the way to go. I have had in mind a chicken & avocado salad roll & and egg mayo sandwich for a while. Don't have any deli chicken breast currently but everything else is doable! I won't be heading out. Rain is torrential outside.
Monday
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with ham and cheese.
L. Nothing
D. Tried an oven cooked chicken breast with a garlicky creamy sauce, topped with chorizo and halloumi. It was OK but the sauce needs adjusting. Cheesy would be better. 2 squares 85%.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I got a positive Covid test result at midnight, four days after test. I know exactly where I got it and it is an unhappy Waitrose tale. The only place I have been in the last 12 days was Waitrose for Burford Brown eggs the Thurs before last. The second time I have been in any supermarket since 6th March. Hardly any customers but while checking out the assistant waiting to go on the till coughed all over me, dreadful cough. Last week felt off all week with higher temperature, exhaustion and notably higher BG. Mr PM has had test this morning and I am hoping he will be ok.
@Bex72 glad you are getting better.
Breakfast today usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch will be slice HiLo with either egg mayo or pate on top. Poor appetite and craving comfort food.
Supper will be roast chicken breast and veg.

Mr PM and I have divided up the house between us but I will probs have to don a mask and cook supper nevertheless.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had lots of carbs today already. Plain loaf sausage sandwich followed by a lice of toast and marmalade. Just because I was feeling a bit fed up! That's partly because the pharmacist hasn't been able to get the short acting insulin I'm supposed to have (Fiasp) so I went back to the old one (Humilin S) last night. Not sensible, but there you are - I'm not feeling sensible just now.

Not sure how the rest of the day is going to go. At least I'm feeling quite satisfied at present.

Em has been learning to sew with her Mum's big, fancy sewing machine and the first thing she made was a case for my glasses, zip neatly placed in and machine embroidery on it. She really enjoys doing practical things.

Emily sewing.jpeg