What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@Chook your new way of eating sounds so interesting and I must say I love the variations of meals here and @Annb so glad to hear your result and welcome back to the thread both. @ziggy_w happy birthday, good you can get your birthday meal in before they close down. Have a fab evening. @ianpspurs the only mash I find acceptable is celeriac or swede, I cant get on with the lack of texture with cauli mash but like it as “rice” with a curry. Oc you might love it!
Today I had too high FBG but went on with my usual slice of HiLo toast cooled then piled with thick butter and copious tea.
Lunch was three thin slices of roast beef with coleslaw and a hint of horseradish sauce.
Supper will be chunky fish fingers and broccoli aka Fish Finger Firsday.
Stay safe, stay well everyone.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So far a small piece of sachertorte to celebrate my god child's first birthday, and for which I obviously overbolused and 2 tuna melt muffins, which were delicious :)
Now I'm waiting in the car for the hypo to resolve after eating salty licorice.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ziggy_w happy birthday!!! So sorry for the sleepless lead-up. I used the search function to find the post you mentioned about my not tolerating foods, and evidently I didn't use the word "tolerate". Do you remember the gist of what I said?
@Antje77 glad the tuna melts turned out well-- sorry you went hypo though! I have never imagined a flavor called salty licorice! Caramel yes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never imagined a flavor called salty licorice!
I think even my relatively small supermarket has at least 30 different kinds of salty licorice!
But I've seen video's of Americans trying it (just search for 'salty licorice' on YouTube and you'll get many video's of just that) and it looks like the love for it is mainly Dutch and Scandinavian.

The tuna melts needed turning just before finishing them but tasted just as good from the air fryer as it did from the oven, thanks to @Goonergal :hungry:. Friend was very impressed too, and I had to write out the recipe for her :).
The licorice nicely solved the hypo, and lucky me, our laws aren't as strict as the English ones so I drove off as soon as I felt fine and tested above four again, no need for waiting :)

Dinner will be more freshly baked tuna melts, as there's leftover batter, with a big green salad with tomatoes, cucumber, onion and perhaps an egg or some bacon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Glad the tuna melts turned out ok @Antje77 . I haven’t had them for ages - must use up some of the tuna and eggs I have in stock.

3 meals today. Breakfast was a corned beef sandwich made with Mestemacher protein bread and plenty of butter. Followed up by a few Brazil nuts.
Lunch was some tiny chicken wings and 1 chicken thigh coated with salt and chilli oil then air fried.
Dinner was 20% mince fried with onions and 2 eggs.

Having done a bit of a stock take, the contents of my (small) freezer and tinned meat/fish cupboard could easily keep me going for a couple of months :D

2BF6460C-0130-440A-9B84-4AD7BA229DE7.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: low fat greek with seeds and blueberries with added double cream as had only been able to buy the low fat yoghurt. Sometimes life as a diabetic is hard (not!)
L: 90 second bread with Stilton
D: gammon steak with kale and a sauce made from stilton and cream

Exploring a town today, came across a market stall selling "no sugar" goodies. There were chia jams with sweetners , millionaires slices made with dates and oats and s rocky Road thing made with xylitol. I really didn't fancy most of it but felt I had to try a bit at least. As expected the rocky road tastes very sweet. What does everyone assume we still want such sweet stuff? Id much prefer a treat to be only a little bit sweet. Anyone else with me?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday, @ziggy_w . May you have many, many more to come.

We've been hungry tday, so ate early this evening. It was MrB (our) World Famous Cheese and Onion Pie. Aside from lots of delicious onion in it, it is very low carb. Ingredients are all very approximate, in terms of amounts.

For two:
1 large onion chopped.
c200-250gr cheese of your choosing; grated - for us, this evening, it was just a strong mature cheddar
A decent knob of butter
1 egg

Firstly, boil the chopped onion until soft, the drain very well.
In a bowl, combine the onion, cheese, egg, butter and seasoning, the decant into your chosen cooking vessel. It works just as well as one dish, or individually. We had individuals tonight.
Put it into a 200c fan oven for c30 minutes.

I think it would also be wonderful with cooked bacon or chopped chorizo added.

It's very filling.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday, @ziggy_w . May you have many, many more to come.

We've been hungry tday, so ate early this evening. It was MrB (our) World Famous Cheese and Onion Pie. Aside from lots of delicious onion in it, it is very low carb. Ingredients are all very approximate, in terms of amounts.

For two:
1 large onion chopped.
c200-250gr cheese of your choosing; grated - for us, this evening, it was just a strong mature cheddar
A decent knob of butter
1 egg

Firstly, boil the chopped onion until soft, the drain very well.
In a bowl, combine the onion, cheese, egg, butter and seasoning, the decant into your chosen cooking vessel. It works just as well as one dish, or individually. We had individuals tonight.
Put it into a 200c fan oven for c30 minutes.

I think it would also be wonderful with cooked bacon or chopped chorizo added.

It's very filling.

I’ve CMT’d that. Thanks!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday Bed 7.1 FBG 7.2 Feeling a bit "off" again, it's wet, miserable and my legs are acting up which is the warning signal that something is stewing.
B. TAG and another 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese.
L. A DGF no carrot carrot cake - I only have 2 left and they're out of stock! Put in a large order of SLC bread plus rolls for son, DIL & me.
D. Had to pick up DIL at 7pm at her clinic so wanted something quick when I got back. I had a double cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, mustard and mayo. Let's clarify - the burgers were GF pork burgers which I get at my butchers, the roll was SLC bun, the cheese was a large slice of Emmental which I split. I had to eat it with a knife and fork but I enjoyed it!

Happy birthday @ziggy_w Hope you had a lovely day. Welcome back @Chook & @Annb - I'm glad everyone is OK and that's great news from your tests @Annb. Great BGs on your food switch as well @Chook. @zauberflote - I can assure you I would not send vertigo waves to anyone. It is the most horrible feeling. I suspect feeling a bit off is making it worse. Good idea with the muffin tins though. I'll try that with the next cauli rosti mix.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was MrB (our) World Famous Cheese and Onion Pie.
I’ve CMT’d that. Thanks!
I only saw your reaction after I did so too!
I'm still amazed this CMT thing works!
123187497_10222116917946293_3068722279470463360_o.jpg

And here's my meal, except I only ate two of the tuna melt things, which was more than enough, so I have one left for lunch tomorrow!
They are prettier from the oven than from my friend's cheap airfryer, as they get browned on all sides :)

123245480_10222116936946768_3202709513391938707_o.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only saw your reaction after I did so too!
I'm still amazed this CMT thing works!
123187497_10222116917946293_3068722279470463360_o.jpg

And here's my meal, except I only ate two of the tuna melt things, which was more than enough, so I have one left for lunch tomorrow!
They are prettier from the oven than from my friend's cheap airfryer, as they get browned on all sides :)

123245480_10222116936946768_3202709513391938707_o.jpg

Nice plate :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice plate :D
I know! I have only one of them and it has a very big chip missing which sometimes gets bigger when putting it in the dishwasher, but the plate itself bravely holds up!
It's not on the list of tradeable plates! :D

edit: And I only now see how cute todays mug goes with todays plate!

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and caramel carb killa bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a packet of coconut bites.
Dinner: tuna and cheddar omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today Thursday - bed 6.4 FBG 6.6. @ianpspurs - I'm sure I'll get this rosti to work, I need to work on the flavour & texture. Oddly it doesn't taste like cauliflower. I will have another go in a few days as it makes a nice change for a side dish. @MrsA2 - I agree. There is a tendency to make things too sweet. They need to recognise our tastes have changed. @ziggy_w - I read you were going back into lockdown. We're pretty much the same and have been for 3 weeks. The science is certainly not being followed here. It is ridiculous that we are being kept in tier 3 (or is it 4 since we have a tier 0?). We're being told the pubs and restaurants can open from Monday but they cannot sell alcohol and have to shut by 6pm?? Does Covid only come out at night? I suspect they just won't open.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese.
L. Nothing was making mince for the boys later.
Much later I had a SLC sandwich with chicken, avocado and mayo. You see the SLC I ordered yesterday arrived today!
D. Not hungry after the SLC sandwich and it's cold, wet and miserable. Opted for a hot shower, jammies & dressing gown on then a veggie bouillon followed by DGF not carrot cake (then another). They're finished

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s interesting, there was a thread elsewhere on the forum a while back, where some people said coffee/ caffeine raised their bg.
How do you make yours Keto @OzBlossom ?Is it just by adding cream, or butter?
Probably more accurate if I say it's keto-friendly, I found it on a low-carb website. It's a creamer by an Australian Company "Before You Speak". It was the best I could find that was low cal/low carb (24cal and .03g per scoop) had ingredients that looked pretty good (not Frankenstein laboratory territory), had some added fibre and used an erythritol sweetener. Whew! Did a bit of searching for that one!
If I had more calories to play with at the moment, I'd go back to previous habit of just adding some cream to coffee. I have done the butter coffee thing in the past, but at the moment it would probably use up my whole day calorie limit :facepalm: Love my green teas of varying kinds, but am not a fan at all of black coffee. It did seem previously that if I had milk in coffee it pushed blood sugar readings upwards - not entirely sure about that, I'll probably retest that suspicion after this phase - or maybe not, I quite like having cream in my coffee.

Luckily for me, coffee itself doesn't seem to do anything to my blood sugars (usual max per day would be two cups), though I have seen others note it affects them so I guess that speaks again to our individual differences and the need for each of us to watch out for the particular things that spike us. I'm glad I still have coffee! :)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday @ziggy_w I’m so glad you’ve just managed to get your meal out before everywhere has to close down again. I completely agree a good nights sleep makes the world of difference.
@Goonergal the airfryer converter link is a very useful thing,
@maglil55 and @MrsA2 I also agree about the taste for sweet things. The low carb custard recipe uses 3/8 cup sweetener ( erythritol, but I use monkfruit) I started off using that amount but now use just a couple of spoons full for the whole batch otherwise it’s way too sweet.
Today I started with coffee as usual. Early lunch was 2 slices of the Dr Almond walnut bread, toasted with pate. I’ve discovered that Co op own brand of Brussels pate only has 1.1g carbs per 100g. Low carb custard and raspberries to follow
Dinner was butter chicken https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/ with cauli rice and spinach then another lc custard and raspberries.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 - thanks for getting in touch and thanks for your concern. Like @Annb I'm fine (and so are Mr C and the dogs). Fingers crossed that we all remain in good health as Covid is very widespread in this corner of Yorkshire.

I stopped posting because I feel that I don't really fit in with this thread any more. As you might remember, when I was eating a low carb diet my BGs were very high so I took a risk and started the 800 calorie Newcastle diet but with proper food (I decided anything was better than a visit to my GP!). It has worked for me so far with my fasting BGs now being between 4.8 and 5.5 every day.

sample menu - today....

Breakfast: Quaker Oats porridge sachet made with unsweetened roasted almond milk

Lunch: Ryvita with a little reduced fat cream cheese and a small fig

Dinner: spicy roasted aubergine, courgette, red onion, tomatoes and black olives with a 50/50 mix of couscous and cauliflower rice. A few strawberries.

Snack(s): my secret weapon - cucumber salted then drained, patted dry and then marinated in soy sauce (light and dark), chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped spring onion, rice vinegar and chopped coriander - amazing flavour and virtually no calories.
So interesting to see your post and wonderful to see such good results!

I'm nearly at the end of Week 9 of 12 in a <800 cal, low carb stint, mostly using real food, but some protein shakes if I get stuck at work and having good things happen so far. (However, wanted to rip off one of my own arms and eat it the first few days plus had a miraculous channeling of my inner ferret one week and tracked down a bar of sugar free chocolate that I'd left in the house - and ate it - the chocolate, not the house, though that could have been on the cards that particular day.)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably more accurate if I say it's keto-friendly, I found it on a low-carb website. It's a creamer by an Australian Company "Before You Speak". It was the best I could find that was low cal/low carb (24cal and .03g per scoop) had ingredients that looked pretty good (not Frankenstein laboratory territory), had some added fibre and used an erythritol sweetener. Whew! Did a bit of searching for that one!
If I had more calories to play with at the moment, I'd go back to previous habit of just adding some cream to coffee. I have done the butter coffee thing in the past, but at the moment it would probably use up my whole day calorie limit :facepalm: Love my green teas of varying kinds, but am not a fan at all of black coffee. It did seem previously that if I had milk in coffee it pushed blood sugar readings upwards - not entirely sure about that, I'll probably retest that suspicion after this phase - or maybe not, I quite like having cream in my coffee.

Luckily for me, coffee itself doesn't seem to do anything to my blood sugars (usual max per day would be two cups), though I have seen others note it affects them so I guess that speaks again to our individual differences and the need for each of us to watch out for the particular things that spike us. I'm glad I still have coffee! :)

Glad you’ve found something that still allows you to enjoy your coffee. We give up a lot to follow this way of eating so it’s really important I think to still have something we can enjoy. Coffee does it for me too but I’m happy to have it black these days - I used to love it with cream but could easily go through a pot a day! I’m trying to educate myself to better tea, hoping eventually to be able to drink that black as well. Today I had Darjeeling, whole rolled leaves, and quite enjoyed it with a slice of lemon. Haven’t ventured into green tea territory yet.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Welcome to the thread, @TypeZero. and @OzBlossom.
@DJC3 -- The steak was huge and even my husband couldn't finish it all, but tbh my husband is always good at sharing.

Yesterday, they've decided to close down all restaurants, cafes and bars (plus entertainment and hobby sport facilities) again starting Monday. So happy, it doesn't start immediately -- especially having planned to go out for my birthday dinner tonight. Really, really looking forward to it as it is the first time we are going out to eat this year.
Thanks for the welcome ziggy_w and happy birthday!

Reactions: ianpspurs