What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

pyotrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Lidl Greek yoghurt, little drop of double cream, few nuts and seeds. Mix together.
Snack : Bag of scratchings.
Dinner : Lamb shank in red wine from Lidl. Florets of broccoli and cauliflower with salt and pepper and anchor butter.

P

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yoghurt with blueberries
L: Tin of Duncan's Lentil & Bacon soup (available from Aldi) with remnants of a 4-bean salad thrown in to bulk it up; apple
D: Home-made Moroccan lamb curry (lots of chickpeas), small portion brown rice, broccoli cooked in ginger and garlic.

Reactions: 6 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Today...
B - Bacon & Mayo
L - Turkey salad with Mayo
D - Brocolli & stilton soup with a Lidl roll
S - Coffee & cream

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast (4am >.>) egg small wholemeal wheat roll Yes I know not low carb but I needed something quick was sick yesterday. Breakfast 2 was no better 30g shredded wheat whole milk
L Home made salad with parmesan mayonaise (1tbsp of each) lettuce,raddish,celery,advocado
d Beef something (home connoction)(85% beef mince, aubergine,carrot,peppercorn,fennel seeds,cumin,turmeric,paprika,tinned tomato,onion, mushrooms) was delicious but needs a name. 2 clemetines.
Increasing water intact slow going because Im never thirsty. 102g of carb not good needs to be lower, without the wheat it would have been around 50 for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey for dinner i just went to an american diner (one off treat) i had deep fried chicken on a maple syrup waffle! I tested BG 1 hr after it said 9.2 and then 30 mins later it was 6.6 can that be right? Hmmm weird unless it was the handwipe i used? Oops x

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi,

I'm just getting started on LCHF. So far I've been consuming:

bacon and eggs
cheddar omelette
pork steak with snow peas in garlic butter
rib-eye steak with green beans in garlic butter
"fromage blanc" (8% fat) with defrosted broken raspberries
raclette (deli meats and melted cheese but without the boiled potatoes and bread)
mesclun salad - as a salad-dodger I call it salad for beginners - (with black pepper on the leaves and balsamic and olive oil dressing)
stuffed peppers
tomato soup (but it's very low in carbs)

apples, oranges
cashews (but I've since learned that they aren't the best type of nuts to eat)
chocolate 98-99% cocoa

milky coffee (microwaved milk with a shot of espresso) but I've started now to add cream to black coffee instead
beer (oops, need to cut that out)
whisky (think that's a better choice?)
tap water

there's a bit too much salt in there though, so I need to cut down and some fish for next week would be good

cheat meal planned for tonight (we have "civilians" coming over ;-) ) which I'm going to enjoy given the hard work involved BUT my goal is to not go mad and also be able to get back on the wagon tomorrow morning. fingers crossed...

have a lovely weekend!

Hi Rosbif... I think you're doing wonderfully well! I cannot eat oranges at all, and apple is tiny amounts in a salad perhaps... I caramelise them in Stevia sometimes, and put them on baked squares of a lovely almond flour dough - naughty but as they're cooked twice I hope it keeps the carbs down... :) Tomatoes push my numbers up if I eat a lot... I make garlic, red chilli and tomato sauce to put on courgette noodles, which is not too bad... and all of it is good if you exercise a bit though... You have a good idea of what you can and can't manage it seems... This forum, and this thread are amazingly informative, aren't they? Well done, and good luck...
Breakfast yesterday: 1 avocado with four pieces of pancetta crisped up and a bullet-proof coffee with two espresso
Lunch: Egg muffins made with mushrooms cooked in garlic, spring onions and a dollop of garlic and herb soft cheese on top - coffee with cream and a piece of lush low-carb chocolate fudge cake/pudding with cream :D Recipe from alldayidreamaboutfood.com This lady is the best... she even makes sticky-toffee-pudding with the caramel sauce... :rolleyes:
Supper: Roast chicken, buttered cauliflower, cabbage and green beans... Double scotch...
No exercise as I was running like a loon all day, so probably didn't need it!

:) Susi....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
FBG 5.2

Breakfast: Asda full fat Greek yoghurt with one tsp sugar free gingerbread syrup
Lunch: Ham and egg salad
Dinner: Lidl kangaroo steak with roasted courgette, peppers, fennel and celeriac and cavolo nero (a sort of kale)

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Rosbif... I think you're doing wonderfully well! I cannot eat oranges at all, and apple is tiny amounts in a salad perhaps... I caramelise them in Stevia sometimes, and put them on baked squares of a lovely almond flour dough - naughty but as they're cooked twice I hope it keeps the carbs down... :) Tomatoes push my numbers up if I eat a lot... I make garlic, red chilli and tomato sauce to put on courgette noodles, which is not too bad... and all of it is good if you exercise a bit though... You have a good idea of what you can and can't manage it seems... This forum, and this thread are amazingly informative, aren't they? Well done, and good luck...
Breakfast yesterday: 1 avocado with four pieces of pancetta crisped up and a bullet-proof coffee with two espresso
Lunch: Egg muffins made with mushrooms cooked in garlic, spring onions and a dollop of garlic and herb soft cheese on top - coffee with cream and a piece of lush low-carb chocolate fudge cake/pudding with cream :D Recipe from alldayidreamaboutfood.com This lady is the best... she even makes sticky-toffee-pudding with the caramel sauce... :rolleyes:
Supper: Roast chicken, buttered cauliflower, cabbage and green beans... Double scotch...
No exercise as I was running like a loon all day, so probably didn't need it!

:) Susi....
Hi Susi,
To be honest with you I haven't bought a meter yet so I don't know for sure what I can tolerate but I figure that for the moment an orange or apple is better than the sugar bombs I used to chuck down my neck. Right now I'm just trying to cut down on the obvious baddies and I'll look at fine-tuning my diet very soon.
I'm ashamed to say that I have a bit of a mental block when it comes to buying a meter - it all seems a bit too "medical" and an admission of the reality... I do agree that it's the smart thing to do though as we're all different but I guess I'm only human and not always logical or rational ;-)
I can see that there's a whole low-carb world out there just waiting to be explored and this forum is very informative and its participants are very friendly and welcoming.
I'll give veggie pasta a whirl - I'm waiting to receive a julienne disk that I ordered for my food processor, which I'm hoping will do the job without buying a spiraliser.

Breakfast: cheddar and bacon omelette. I fry the bacon, chuck the egg mix on and then sprinkle with cubes of cheddar. Like that you get yummy melted cheddar bombs in your egg!

Reactions: 8 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
B - Sardines
L - Sardines again (Forgot my lunch and but luckily had a spare tin in my desk draw)
D - Turkey and cabbage (Mexican style)
S - Sugar free jelly , High fiber crackers smeared in cholesterol lowering margarine and VLA.

Reactions: 8 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love to find some friends on here, ... Would love some support. Probably the wrong place to ask but kind of struggling at the moment.

Why not start a new thread - spelling out what you want. My guess is that more people might spot that. Also, do you have a local DiabetesUK branch? there might be some support there from them.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Would love to find some friends on here, was diagnosed type 2 in 2008, but after a recent hospital admission with DKA, I'm now type 1. I live in Devon, I am a 35 year old lady. Would love some support. Probably the wrong place to ask but kind of struggling at the moment.
I missed this the other day. Hugs.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
b coffee with cream
L advocado salad
d Yesterdays beef something as lasagna with cabbage leaf instead of pasta and cream cheese sauce.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi Susi,
To be honest with you I haven't bought a meter yet so I don't know for sure what I can tolerate but I figure that for the moment an orange or apple is better than the sugar bombs I used to chuck down my neck. Right now I'm just trying to cut down on the obvious baddies and I'll look at fine-tuning my diet very soon.
I'm ashamed to say that I have a bit of a mental block when it comes to buying a meter - it all seems a bit too "medical" and an admission of the reality... I do agree that it's the smart thing to do though as we're all different but I guess I'm only human and not always logical or rational ;-)
I can see that there's a whole low-carb world out there just waiting to be explored and this forum is very informative and its participants are very friendly and welcoming.
I'll give veggie pasta a whirl - I'm waiting to receive a julienne disk that I ordered for my food processor, which I'm hoping will do the job without buying a spiraliser.

Breakfast: cheddar and bacon omelette. I fry the bacon, chuck the egg mix on and then sprinkle with cubes of cheddar. Like that you get yummy melted cheddar bombs in your egg!
I hope you find the meter as interesting as I do... in fact, I've been accused of obsessing over my numbers!! I really enjoy testing when I know my numbers are going to be low... :) It makes a huge difference to the way you live and eat though, I found... you may find yourself surprised at the things that do, or do not, affect your blood glucose though... fascinating really... I like your omelette... love the gooey cheese... lush... just think of all the things you can eat which you have been denying yourself for years!! Check out fat-bombs - little mouthfulls (?) of chocolate, fat and nuts - or anything else you wish to put into them... peanut or almond butter maybe? :) And good for you... I eat them when I don't have time to sit down for a meal, or if I'm flying somewhere and am running to the airport as usual.... brilliant, and delushious... :) ibreatheimhungry.com is another wonderful site crammed with luscious things to eat with no sugar or carbs....

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
FBG 5.2

Breakfast: Asda full fat Greek yoghurt with one tsp sugar free gingerbread syrup
Lunch: Ham and egg salad
Dinner: Lidl kangaroo steak with roasted courgette, peppers, fennel and celeriac and cavolo nero (a sort of kale)
Hi Chook... where do you get your gingerbread syrup? Do you know if there are other flavours... it sounds lush... I like goat's yoghurt, and it would be lovely on that... thanks... Susi...

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi Chook... where do you get your gingerbread syrup? Do you know if there are other flavours... it sounds lush... I like goat's yoghurt, and it would be lovely on that... thanks... Susi...
I get it from eBay and the make I get is called Monin. It's the same one they use in Costa. They multi choice them in with the ordinary sugar filled ones so shop around for the sugar free. A teaspoon trickled over really perks up a dollop of yoghurt. :).

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not start a new thread - spelling out what you want. My guess is that more people might spot that. Also, do you have a local DiabetesUK branch? there might be some support there from them.
I will have to have a look online to see if there is a local branch. I just feel like I'm not getting enough support from my diabetes team.

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@s.sollis . How are you today? I think @JenniferW has the right idea about the new thread . Have you had support since you became type 1?
Hi feeling a bit down today, I suffer with mental health problems and I feel I'm hitting a brick wall with my diabetes. My DSN is not convinced I'm type 1, but I went to a different hospital when I had DKA and the team there which included the top diabetes consultant said I was. So confused. :(

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I get it from eBay and the make I get is called Monin. It's the same one they use in Costa. They multi choice them in with the ordinary sugar filled ones so shop around for the sugar free. A teaspoon trickled over really perks up a dollop of yoghurt. :).
Thanks Chook... will search for the right one.... :)