What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So is that 3 days or 4 the almond butter has lasted? The record is 1 week in my house - never since repeated.

3 days. Amazing! Although I did once achieve the even more amazing feat of keeping a jar for over a month after being opened. Also never repeated!

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My insides have been behaving reasonably since my colonoscopy (not well, but reasonably), I guess because my insides were getting a rest from processing food and enjoying it. But that can't last forever, so the old problems are back now that food is in transit through the system. So:

Nothing so far today except tea, and a small glass of soda water which promptly made me feel worse. I will have to eat though, and it is all calming down again a bit so I will have some smoked mackerel (nice and salty, that always helps) and some cucumber (the only other veggies available are a couple of avocados and some cabbage. Don't like cole slaw in any form and I can't get my head around the idea of smoked mackerel and avocado. Just remembered, I have some jars of pickled cabbage in the fridge. Some of that would do.

Welcome @Pilates Deb. This thread can be a real help, so happy to see you here.

The smoked mackerel helped and I'm feeling a good bit better now. I had it just with chunks of cucumber and it wasn't very appetising. I did have another thought about avocado but the ones Neil bought for me in a pack were too under-ripe at one end, ie hard as iron and too far gone at the other, ie soggy! Stuck with the cucumber. Then I fell asleep and left it too late to take my Metformin.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs could you just fast during daylight hours? It would get easier and easier!
@maglil55 I like soup. I put that in my CMT, thanks for the link!
Welcome @Pilates Deb !
Bfast, in several installments as today is "watch grandson day" zweiback from avocado/egg/flax/a spoon each of coconut flour and oat fiber, neither of which worked to de-pudding-ify the "loaf". So I cooled, broke up, and re-baked it at about 200F. It was a bit tastier than any time before-- maybe the coconut flour? Pecans, dilute soymilk, 1 sq Lindt 90%
Lunch a chunk of some cheese that's really good, handful almonds
Supper who knows. Plenty of meals in freezer for MrZF so maybe a salmon burger? Purposeful leftovers of roasted green beans and/or spinach, flax crisps/dilute soy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and another welcome to @Pilates Deb
Today I’ve had black coffee and tea all morning.
Lunch was leftover chicken Garam masala from yesterday, made into a sort of Coronation chicken sandwich using a SLC roll.
A handful of Callebaut buttons with another coffee to follow.
Dinner was cod loin in a creamy mushroom and Dijon mustard sauce with roast sprouts. 1 glass dry white wine.
@shelley262 try swede mashed with loads of butter and pepper - my mum always made it to accompany a roast dinner, I loved it.

That has to be white pepper with swede. Delish! (Also very good with sour cream and white pepper)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely (for me) not very interested in food today so
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
L : 3 slices corned beef from a packet a week out of date hiding at back of fridge
Pm a small handful brazil nuts
D: 2 slices maasdam cheese
Planning wine later as I do an online meeting. May need to eat soemthing too just so not to get drunk

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 days. Amazing! Although I did once achieve the even more amazing feat of keeping a jar for over a month after being opened. Also never repeated!

We could have a competition: both open a jar on the same day and see whose lasts longest ( time in minutes maybe, rather than days or weeks!)

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon I did a little experiment as I’d bought some easy peeler little oranges for hubby and looked up the carb count which didn’t seem too bad. I tried one, as apart from berries I haven’t had any other fruit since diagnosis. I ate one accompanied by some pecans and a home made cappuccino using full fat milk. Tested my bloods, 5.1 before and 4.5 two hours after! Happy with that so may have another as an occasional treat :)
Dinner: gammon steak and a side salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Pilates Deb - so many great recipe ideas from posters here! Given me lots of future plans even though current options are limited in terms of calories to play with :)

@maglil55 that pavlova looks fabulous!
@shelley262 I've stored up your LC bread recipe to try out later, now checking my Sukrin bread mix in pantry to see if it has palm oil *fingers crossed*

Food - still in election recovery mode but terribly sensible day and my blood sugars are thanking me.
Lunch: spinach and mushroom frittata with green leaf and celery salad, 2 x keto friendly coffees
Dinner: protein meal shake and psyllium, more salad, 3 pieces of sugar free dark chocolate.

Have made up a cream of cauliflower soup for next day, think that was based on a DD recipe - with lots of white pepper!

Now I have to ask - even though I expect it's something I cannot get here - so many of you post about lovely DFG products, what is that??

In anticipation of not being able to buy here, I found a nice recipe to try:

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/sugar-free-bakewell-tarts/

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
My living situation is overcrowded as we have our family of 4 plus temporarily my sister and her 2 or 3. It was all calm in the kitchen this evening. Three different meal options on the go to fulfill the various culinary requirements (pork chops with veg, lasagne and aubergine, tomato and mozzarella bake). It all went well and everyone was happy. It was a great team effort from my daughter, my sister and I.

I was thinking the aubergine dish would taste of tomatoes and herbs so was a little surprised by the strong chilli kick, my sister admitted to adding a little from the grinder. Finally, at the end of the evening, my 14 year old daughter confessed to "accidentally" adding hot chilli powder.

Breakfast was the usual yoghurt, berries and toasted seeds. Lunch was a cheese omelette and a bonus left over cooked sausage.

I made Masala Chai with a sweetener and just a little frothed milk. It was so delicious, just like having an indulgent dessert. The Indian spices with milk and sweetness seem to wrap around me like a cosy blanket.

It was interesting to read stories of psyllium husk, I have some in my cupboard waiting for a brave moment....

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s intake should be: B= TWAM no sweetener just inulin - not a very positive experience to be honest. What is the evidence for sweetener raising bg?; Dockey: CWC with SF caramel syrup; L= Cheesies - wonder what else is in wrongly labelled boxes;? EM: Goose and roast veggies with normies Goose gravy - could be the giblet stuff with Oxo thickened with xantham gum - and a glass of red wine to counteract the carbiness. Being pedantic/legalistic, Advent could start today with 3 days fasting per week - modern interpretation of that is more a small OMAD without meat. Do I have the discipline? I certainly couldn't do it through to Epiphany:arghh: @DJC3 I have requested to change my SLC order to rolls - I have bread sorted IMHO - or cancel. @zauberflote the palm oil bugs me as well so they may yet end up in the bin/skip
There is a lot of eating in the rolls - that's what I like about them. I order rolls and bread at the same time as the delivery is not cheap either. I have to say sometimes I don't like frozen food very much but these taste just as nice once they have been frozen and de-frosted as they do fresh.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Pilates Deb - snap - I love the slc bread and rolls also - they are fab aren't they

10am - greek yoghurt with cinnamon, flaxseeds and mixed berries. Mug of earl grey tea

3pm - tomato, cucumber, coleslaw, pickled egg and grated cheese on top of baby spinach with breast of chicken and a little piri piri sauce

8.30pm - mussels & prawns with a little seafood sauce

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
A bit of a catch up again Sunday bed 6.3 FBG Boy's swimming lesson day again and it is a very miserable day weather wise yet again.
B. TAG and I'm still on SLC sandwich. Today's was egg mayo yet again.
L. Nothing on the swimming lesson run.
D. Usual campari and soda and decided to have a prosecco as well. Simple roast chicken with a sage & onion stuffing. Had it with wilted spinach, cauliflower cheese and a mini cob. 2 squares 85% later.

I really like the idea of Campari and Soda, it sounds like a perfect Type 2 drink. I will have to give it a go. It sounds more sophisticated than rum and coke zero. I'm saving the bubbly for good news .

Monday bed 5.8 FBG 6.8

Another week of school runs although the boys (surprisingly) were not bickering with each other this morning.

B. TAG
L. Another SLC sandwich - ox tongue and egg mayo (which Hubby considered a bit weird but I like it).
D. Remains of roast chicken from yesterday but too much to eat it all. Had a couple of Halloumi pieces with it and a mini cob.
Later DGF bakewell with a few raspberries and a dash of cream.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
We could have a competition: both open a jar on the same day and see whose lasts longest ( time in minutes maybe, rather than days or weeks!)

I'm in! Haven't bought almond butter in over a year because of its "shortevity" and this would be fun lol!

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello and welcome @Pilates Deb - snap - I love the slc bread and rolls also - they are fab aren't they

10am - greek yoghurt with cinnamon, flaxseeds and mixed berries. Mug of earl grey tea

3pm - tomato, cucumber, coleslaw, pickled egg and grated cheese on top of baby spinach with breast of chicken and a little piri piri sauce

8.30pm - mussels & prawns with a little seafood sauce
Hello MrsT, I'm glad you mentioned cinnamon. I now know what to do to perk up my often bitter morning berries. I like the idea of slc bread too.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello MrsT, I'm glad you mentioned cinnamon. I now know what to do to perk up my often bitter morning berries. I like the idea of slc bread too.

It's the bitter I like abou berries. I'm currently on a cranberry coulis (made with a little sweetener) with my yoghurt. I almost always have cinnamon sprinkled on, but a few times of late, I've added a tiny bit of Bourneville powder.

(I know I'm odd, but I'm not a chocolate person, so that is really unusual)

Reactions: Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I have to ask - even though I expect it's something I cannot get here - so many of you post about lovely DFG products, what is that??
DGF stands for Deliciously Guilt Free, they are a fairly new company that sells low carb cakes and brownies on the internet. They are brilliant but I’m pretty sure you’re right that they wouldn’t ship to you :(

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's the bitter I like abou berries. I'm currently on a cranberry coulis (made with a little sweetener) with my yoghurt. I almost always have cinnamon sprinkled on, but a few times of late, I've added a tiny bit of Bourneville powder.

(I know I'm odd, but I'm not a chocolate person, so that is really unusual)

I am a chocolate person, chocolate cherry liqueurs may have had a role in tipping me into type 2. I like the cocoa powder tip, I'll try that.

Fresh berries aren't usually so tart, the frozen ones are sharper and can give you a shock! I definitely don't have so much of a sweet tooth after 3 months low carb. That whole feeling of needing to eat something sweet no longer exists.

It's odd to reflect on sweet foods that I formerly ate without even particularly enjoying, just to conform. For example: Christmas pudding, brandy sauce, icing and marzipan on cake, the least favourite chocolates in a box or tin (coffee cream or orange in our case) and really hard shop bought meringue (not that I ever made my own).

Have a nice day x