What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot of eating in the rolls - that's what I like about them. I order rolls and bread at the same time as the delivery is not cheap either. I have to say sometimes I don't like frozen food very much but these taste just as nice once they have been frozen and de-frosted as they do fresh.
Replied over on parallel thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a chocolate person, chocolate cherry liqueurs may have had a role in tipping me into type 2. I like the cocoa powder tip, I'll try that.

Fresh berries aren't usually so tart, the frozen ones are sharper and can give you a shock! I definitely don't have so much of a sweet tooth after 3 months low carb. That whole feeling of needing to eat something sweet no longer exists.

It's odd to reflect on sweet foods that I formerly ate without even particularly enjoying, just to conform. For example: Christmas pudding, brandy sauce, icing and marzipan on cake, the least favourite chocolates in a box or tin (coffee cream or orange in our case) and really hard shop bought meringue (not that I ever made my own).

Have a nice day x

Chocolate cherry liquers can still be in your life. Infused (probably with brandy) cherries (I'd chop slightly), the enrobed (description shamelessly stolen from HC products) in your favoured dark chocolate.

I've recently done chocolate and ginger (not infused) for my OH with great success, although the 90% I chose for him was a bit too bitter for him. he'll get through it in time though

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday’s supper took an unexpected turn after peering in the fridge...toasted chunks of aubergine, red onion and tomatoes sprinkled with EVO and Italian dried herbs accompanied by two good pork sausages.
Today is oc Fishfinger Firsday (@ianpspurs owns the trademark). Glad you enjoyed the goose and St Emilion, I would have liked that but Mr PM wouldnt.
@maglil55 thanks for the soup recommendations. I dont like cream but I assume a swirl of FAGE yogurt would be ok. Agree about the white pepper @DJC3 essential in egg dishes and even moreso in swede, celeriac or any mash. Have just ordered a swede in this week’s farm box.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in! Haven't bought almond butter in over a year because of its "shortevity" and this would be fun lol!

Haha great! See if @Goonergal ( any any other nut butter addicts) are in, then let’s pick a date. We should probably all tickle our tastebuds with a spoonful immediately it’s open, just to make it harder to resist.

Reactions: maglil55

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Chocolate cherry liquers can still be in your life. Infused (probably with brandy) cherries (I'd chop slightly), the enrobed (description shamelessly stolen from HC products) in your favoured dark chocolate.

I've recently done chocolate and ginger (not infused) for my OH with great success, although the 90% I chose for him was a bit too bitter for him. he'll get through it in time though

Thanks , that's a great idea. You've really sold it too me. I'm adding that straight to my "to do" list, it must class as urgent maintenance ;^)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, no, no burying! That's gravad lax, if I remember correctly. Although I don't seem to remember the peeing part of the recipe. My aunt, who has made gravad lax regularly definitely didn't include that part, but this could have been because she lives alone, no males in the household. But she also 'buried' it in the fridge instead of in the local park so she must've used a somewhat modernised version of the recipe...
Is that the same as Gravlax which I know as salmon cured with sugar, salt and dill and served with a dill & mustard sauce? It certainly doesn't get buried. It's a variation on smoked salmon and served as an appetiser.

Reactions: ianpspurs

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DFG stands for Deliciously Guilt Free, they are a fairly new company that sells low carb cakes and brownies on the internet. They are brilliant but I’m pretty sure you’re right that they wouldn’t ship to you :(
Yep - you're right! Well, that's ok, I will just have to lift my keto baking game in the near future! At least I have plenty of recipes already from here to try out and I bought Carolyn Ketchum's book "The Ultimate Guide to Keto Baking" a little while ago, so that should provide further inspiration.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That has to be white pepper with swede. Delish! (Also very good with sour cream and white pepper)
Noooo! Black pepper, freshly ground. I'm assuming you are all talking about the orange swede we call turnip not the little white fleshed ones? I suppose it's all what you are brought up on but Burns night your Haggis, neeps and tatties - tatties were always turned into a beautiful smooth & creamy mash (with butter and the top of the milk if you didn't have cream) and the neeps (turnip) mashed with loads of butter & black pepper. You did not dare deviate from Granny's recipes!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noooo! Black pepper, freshly ground. I'm assuming you are all talking about the orange swede we call turnip not the little white fleshed ones? I suppose it's all what you are brought up on but Burns night your Haggis, neeps and tatties - tatties were always turned into a beautiful smooth & creamy mash (with butter and the top of the milk if you didn't have cream) and the neeps (turnip) mashed with loads of butter & black pepper. You did not dare deviate from Granny's recipes!

Yes, I mean orange neeps. As a Scot, I can take my neeps either way, but do like them with sour cream and white pepper.

Maybe I've been associating with this Englishman (of full Irish descent) for way too long. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that the same as Gravlax which I know as salmon cured with sugar, salt and dill and served with a dill & mustard sauce? It certainly doesn't get buried. It's a variation on smoked salmon and served as an appetiser.
You had me questioning both my memory and my aunts knowledge, so I did a quick Google search. Very interesting!
Also very much off topic, so more on the origin of gravlax in the parallel thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...aten-parallel-chat.177870/page-4#post-2330078

Have been out with a friend today, so had quite a lot of cheese and a small bite of my friends roll. Dinner will be a very nice stew with different veggies (savoy cabbage, broccoli, leek, onion) with fried mushrooms and some chorizo. I had planned on making a beetroot salad with warm goat's cheese to go with it but I think I'm lazy and I'll add 2 fishfingers (just regular ones which have been buried in the freezer for a long time), thanks for the idea, @PenguinMum !

Plan for tomorrow is the beetroot salad with goat's cheese and walnuts and a creamy celeriac soup. I've never made celeriac soup but the celeriacs were on offer so now 2 have two of them :)
Of course it may happen I'll eat something completely different tomorrow, my cooking plans are prone to change.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, I'm about to be excommunicated...I season swede (orange turnip) with butter, lots of black pepper and even more NUTMEG. Delicious

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha great! See if @Goonergal ( any any other nut butter addicts) are in, then let’s pick a date. We should probably all tickle our tastebuds with a spoonful immediately it’s open, just to make it harder to resist.

I may have bought a pot today - not yet opened! We’ll have to have the same size pot/jar - otherwise the competitor in me will find the biggest jar available!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@PenguinMum I won’t lower the tone by sharing my misreading of the first line of your post. Suffice to say I’m still chuckling to myself.

A very odd day of eating today, and a hungry day.

Breakfast/brunch around 10am (having been up from 5am it felt more like brunch) of salami and chorizo.
During a long morning meeting also ate about 60g 90% chocolate and a bag of pork puffs.
Late lunch of doner kebab meat and onion - after an over running morning meeting, stepped out for a short walk and decided a take away was in order.

Still stuffed so unlikely to eat anything else.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello MrsT, I'm glad you mentioned cinnamon. I now know what to do to perk up my often bitter morning berries. I like the idea of slc bread too.
Yes they say cinnamon lowers blood sugars - I don't know if it does or not - slc bread is seriously good!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast
L: a scramble of eggs, bits of roasted pepper and cheese
Mid afternoon, a handful of brazils (I must get out of this habit)
D: pork belly from the airfryer cooked in a cajun rub. Bit hot so a side of yoghurt with cucumber and mint. A Yes bar

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7.30am - 2 slices slc bread toasted with corned beef and tomato washed down with a mug of earl grey tea

3pm (after work) a much needed mug of earl grey with some walnuts and another slice of corned beef

5pm - breast of chicken with a little nandos sauce on top with a small side salad. 2 squares of lindtt 90% dark with peanut butter on top

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Cheese omelette (again! I love cheese and eggs)
Lunch: A bit naughty, but a chicken wrap as I was out. Still below my daily carb "limit", I guess. Postprandial BG was 7 mmol/L.
Dinner: Gonna be 2 pork loin steaks and probably another cheese omelette depending on how hungry I get I suppose!

Ultrasound of the liver tomorrow too o_Oo_O

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may have bought a pot today - not yet opened! We’ll have to have the same size pot/jar - otherwise the competitor in me will find the biggest jar available!

Haha good point. And a good excuse for an enormous jar. How big is the jar you have?

Reactions: zauberflote