What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Finally catching up with this thread.

@maglil55 sorry to hear about your bug. Hope you’re soon better.
@DJC3 great news on the job. I’m not a coffee drinker but have been taking a flask of Teaolat to the office I’m working out of.
@PenguinMum welcome back!
@shelley262 @Bex72 @MrsA2 loving the walk stories, especially the idea of walking over a hill to find snow! I quite like exercising in the snow so long as I can go fast enough to keep vaguely warm. Thursday night I went on a long walk in the dark - included the light installations at Canary Wharf. Very warm walking there but froze wandering around the installations! Can I tempt any of you over to the regular exercise thread?

On to food. Not sure when I last posted meals, so going back over the week.

Yesterday was lunch of a small ribeye, 2 fried eggs and 4 small rashers streaky bacon. Dinner was air fried lamb ribs coated in lemon pepper.

Friday was some salami and chorizo for lunch with a late dinner (late back from work, stressed and couldn’t be bothered to cook) of a double bunless burger with cheese and bacon from Gourmet Burger Kitchen.

Wednesday and Thursday were both OMADs. Wednesday lunch was 2 pork belly strips coated in chilli oil, cut into pieces and air fried; Thursday’s late lunch was Nando’s wings and Halloumi.

Beyond that can’t remember!

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would be interesting to see if you could do it in a bread maker I don’t have one but it would do the mixing and baking although you’d have to use fast yeast. You do have to knead it a fair bit - I use my very old Kenwood which has a dough hook.
I can almost smell the bread :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B:Tea: Dockey/Lunch: My usual coffee, Fb cookie, Hobbit's pkt cheesies; Exbike then tea and rugby watching: Main: Some kind of event in IP using up last Sunday’s beef, Christmas day wine (in the mix), probably a few mushrooms and ungins, star anise and/or other gubbins, some kind of “gravy” and some roasted frozen broccoli sprouts. File under cooked + frugal, which was the aim and move on. Swipey off for today.
Edit: MM was rather spiffing - thank you Heston, star anise and beef goeth well.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a big breakfast of ham and eggs before starting the first day at my new job. Mistake really as I felt nervous so the food made me feel a bit sick.
Chucked a couple of Babybell in my bag in case I got hungry later and ate them mid afternoon.
Dinner was sous vide brisket ( coated in Bovril first and with bay leaves and peppercorns chucked in the bag too) it’s been incubating 2 days! It was pretty good, all the family declared it a winner.
As I’m following carnivore month I didn’t have any veg but took a leaf out of @Brunneria ‘s book and crumbled a bit of blue cheese on top of the meat, then poured the juices over so it was like a stew/soup.

Edit to add- I also took in my own coffee and cafetière, even at the risk of being labelled a terrific snob on my first day, but some things are just too important.
I had a bit of a smile at this post. First, congratulations on the job. I'm sure you'll be a great organiser. Reason for the smile was a common phrase here is that you are "going for your messages" which translated is "going for grocery shopping". A friend of ours moved to the Manchester area and continued to use the "going for messages" phrase which she later learned was being greeted with "they must be very posh. They go and collect all their correspondence" (pre email etc).
My crackers on Tuesday became cheese and crackers by the way. A piece of Morbier and a piece of Port Salut.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 6 January bed 7.7 FBG 6. Feeling a bit better but now Hubby is coming down with it!
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with mortadella and Dairylea triangles.
L. Nothing.
D. 2 GF sausages with fried egg and veggie chips. 1 truffle!

Thursday 7 January - bed 8.1 FBG 6.6. No idea why so high at bedtime. I can only assume the effect of the lingering bug. Didn't do much cooking as Hubby now in worst bug day!

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and tomato.
L. Mug of black tea with my few grains of sugar.
D. A bit of Jarlsberg, bit of Morbier, few LC crackers, 2 slices mortadella, one of ox tongue, 1/2 avocado and a few piccolo tomatoes.

Nice to see you back @PenguinMum and @shelley262, excellent looking bread.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday Bed 6.7 FBG 5.7. A much more stable day and Hubby is recovering but not ready to eat too much yet. Decided it was time to venture out so gritted the path and pavement first (since gritters are about as common as aliens in our street) then headed up to visit brother after collecting some shopping en route for them. Stayed a couple of hours to help out then back to check on Hubby then picked son & grandson up to get some shopping.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. A cup of hot Sugar Free Vimto! Haven't had that for years. Carbs are negligible.
D. Salmon in lemon and parsley, 6 large prawns, 1/2 avocado, few piccolo tomatoes, coleslaw, bit of Morbier and 2 LC crackers.

Saturday bed 6.8 FBG 5.3 - Large gaps in the freezer so time to visit the butcher again followed by a quick supermarket visit for things I forgot yesterday!

B. 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. Mug of tea.

D. 2 of these rissole things with Mexican cheese in the middle and coated with the spicy LC mix. Wilted spinach, bit of Jarlsberg, slice of mortadella and a couple of piccolo tomatoes. OK I know it's an odd mix but it's what I wanted. 2 squares of 85%.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
61871021-94B4-440F-96C2-3BFFDDC64275.jpeg
Breakfast one each of slice bacon,hm lc toast and fried egg
Lunch one slice hm lc toast with vintage cheddar followed by coffee and a few squares of montezumas 100% choc with orange oil
Dinner - see photo of bavette steak - ordered organic sirloin from Waitrose but they subbed with bavette which I asked to send back as tried this cut when eating out several years ago and found it tough. Driver asked did I want to try it for free so said why not! So did research and marinated it overnight with lemon juice,olive oil, splash red wine and garlic and onion granules. Followed cooking advice to flash fry for3 mins each side, rest for 20 mins and then cut against grain in slices wow so pleased will buy this in preference in future - although free this time round if I had paid would have been about five pounds in total so a third of price of steak usually buy. Served with roasted med veg, asparagus and glass of red. Pudding DGF lemon and blueberry cake with yoghurt.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast but did throw some braising steak, onions, carrots and swede into the slow cooker for later
2 hour icy walk
1 lc hot chocolate
12:30 3 x 25g cheeses, manchego, brie and stilton with one piece cheesy seedy soda bread. 4 cherry tomatoes
Mid pm tried baking some lc gingerbread cookies and ended up eating 3 as I tried to work out how much time they needed to bake. Rest are now in the freezer but think the recipes needs tweaking to be worthwhile of the costly ingredients.
6:30 beef casserole served with caulifower and courgettes and, new for me - A whole baked celeriac. Cooked in the oven for 2 to 2-30 hours, @200°c, wrapped in foil, came out beautifully soft and flavoursome
One glass red wine. 1 sq 70%

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few pecans.
Dinner: pork and apple stuffed chicken breast, with one tiny roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
After dinner I had the smallest slither of hubby’s birthday cake that I resisted yesterday which was his actual birthday!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday Bed 6.7 FBG 5.7. A much more stable day and Hubby is recovering but not ready to eat too much yet. Decided it was time to venture out so gritted the path and pavement first (since gritters are about as common as aliens in our street) then headed up to visit brother after collecting some shopping en route for them. Stayed a couple of hours to help out then back to check on Hubby then picked son & grandson up to get some shopping.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. A cup of hot Sugar Free Vimto! Haven't had that for years. Carbs are negligible.
D. Salmon in lemon and parsley, 6 large prawns, 1/2 avocado, few piccolo tomatoes, coleslaw, bit of Morbier and 2 LC crackers.

Saturday bed 6.8 FBG 5.3 - Large gaps in the freezer so time to visit the butcher again followed by a quick supermarket visit for things I forgot yesterday!

B. 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. Mug of tea.

D. 2 of these rissole things with Mexican cheese in the middle and coated with the spicy LC mix. Wilted spinach, bit of Jarlsberg, slice of mortadella and a couple of piccolo tomatoes. OK I know it's an odd mix but it's what I wanted. 2 squares of 85%.
Hot Sugar free Vimto - do you simply heat it up in the microwave or what do you do? I have never heard of it before

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slc rolls - 1 on bratwurst sausage (leftover from yesterday) and 1 on fried egg both with a teeny tiny 50% less sugar & salt heinz ketchup on top. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - not very hungry after the 2 rolls - so just mussels & prawn cocktail salad. 2 teaspoons of peanut butter with a little double cream (fudgy like)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hot Sugar free Vimto - do you simply heat it up in the microwave or what do you do? I have never heard of it before
It's diluting Vimto. Tesco had it on offer and had loads of bottles (both the sugared and sugar free variety). Basically just put a measure in a cup/glass with a handle and add boiling water. I used to drink it as a child and very pleasant it is in the cold months. The amount you put in is down to personal taste.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning.
2 fried eggs with black pepper and a sprinkle of grated cheese for lunch - before heading out for first proper open water swim at a local beach. It was freezing but so exhilarating.
Home for dinner which was slow roast shoulder of lamb.
Had a couple of glasses of Shiraz. I’ve allowed myself 2 hours off dry Jan per week during Johnny Walker’s Sounds of the 70s ( 3-5pm Radio2) it’s my favourite radio program and deserves a good red to accompany it.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
woke up during the night at around 3am to 4am in bit of hip joint pain trying to found a comfortable position took a pillow placed statistically around the hip and also rubbed some Copaiba essential oil and almond refracture oil eventually the pain eased and was able to get back to sleep but overslept to 11ish so hang up my washing I put on before I went to bed then made breakfast.

Breakfast was some chia puddings I made last night using almond and coconut milk some maple and peanut butter was ok but needed more fat added next time will use only coconut milk or cream I think will taste better. 3 hours later was really hungry so made ham tomato cheese tastie and another black coffee then did some gardening but over did it and started feeling terrible tested my BSL it spiked to 9. I felt terrible was shaking and feeling weak like I was having a hypo or I my have overheated as it was pretty hot today so drank a few glasses of water and eventually started to feel better so I could complete the gardening

dinner was left overs from dinner yesterday which I didn't post yesterday of leftover lamb chop some grilled potato home made baba ghanoush and tabbouleh and some FF yoghurt. I am making some dripped yoghurt tonight to have with breaky tomorrow. now watching Junior bake off S5

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Yesterday and today usual breakfast of slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch yesterday was a split Lizza toastie spread with peanut butter, chunk of cheese on the side
Supper was a very nice lamb chump chop panfried with mushrooms and one tomato. Delish. My favourite meat.
Lunch today with be h/m egg mayo and lettuce and couple cherry toms. Tea for warmth.
Supper today is salmon fillet with lemon butter sauce and veg to be yet decided.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 (Vimto q) I am experimenting with SF Blackcurrant. I still need a sweet hit. B:Tea: Dockey: My normal coffee+ Fb cookie, Lunch: Exbike,then tea : Main: Avocado and Evo Mackerel salad usual accompaniments. Imperfect for sure but not burying my head in the sand or giving up is surely worth something. I’ll never be an LC fan but I can do it. Not looking forward to a lifetime of this but if needs must I'll just go from test to test.

Last edited:

Sugarlisa

Yogurt and blackberries and green tea (breakfast)
Lunch was a prawn salad and sugar free squash
Tea is jambalaya made with wholemeal rice with sugar free flavoured water and green tea
18’0st last week and now I’m 17st 12lb so I’m back in the 17st not my lowest but I will get there in time

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today I had the usual gallon of black coffee until lunchtime.
Packed lunch of cold meat and cheese
Dinner was similar but hot - airfried chicken leg. The last of the St Agur cheese as well. Copious TWAM now

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Felt hungry today and so was a ‘more food than usual’ day.
Breakfast one slice each of bacon, hm lc toast, and fried egg
Lunch half slice of hm lc toast with vintage cheddar and some nuts followed by montezumas 100% with orange oil - several squares and the last of that bar.
Pre dinner 15gs of pure cheese crisps (monarchs) flavoured with cumin with yoghurt and mint dip
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF pecan and butterscotch cake with extra thick cream.
@DJC3 i just took my last bag of Montezumas’s peanut butter eggs out of the freezer - now defrosting them and will see how long they last! However still quite a few 100% bars left!