What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. I'll be grilling the chicken, so basically warm up a pan, dollop of butter, add mushrooms and black pepper and heat. Then when cooked add a generous amount of double cream until it thickens>?

I ended up with Blossom Hill White wine so as you say I may just drink that if you think it's a bit much in the sauce!

Thanks again for that link. I really miss a breakfast buttie, bacon sandwich, ham salad rolls, poached/scrambled, fried egg on toast or sardines on toast so will as you say order some up. It's a wonder the supermarkets don't do this sort of thing.

BTW how long do you all leave stuff in the freezer? I've got so much stuff in there that's probably been in there for maybe two years, much of it now probably not the best idea such as pies and curries with rice. Do meats, fish etc really have a use by in the freezer health wise or is it more a case of it loses it's best quality after a while?
I’m always over cautious re how long in freezer you could check different things on Internet eg how long should I freeze ....?re the high carb processed food I’d have to find a home for it or the bin - not a good idea to use your body as a bin if it raises your sugars! I’m not keen on waste and do my best but refuse to have anything in my freezer or cupboard that I can not safely eat but I have bee n eating this way for three and a half years and so would have to actively buy the stuff that dosent suit me. Hope that helps - others may have ideas? Food banks are great for the cupboard stuff but frozen less practical.

Max68

I’m always over cautious re how long in freezer you could check different things on Internet eg how long should I freeze ....?re the high carb processed food I’d have to find a home for it or the bin - not a good idea to use your body as a bin if it raises your sugars! I’m not keen on waste and do my best but refuse to have anything in my freezer or cupboard that I can not safely eat but I have bee n eating this way for three and a half years and so would have to actively buy the stuff that dosent suit me. Hope that helps - others may have ideas? Food banks are great for the cupboard stuff but frozen less practical.

Thank you. The mushroom sauce wasn't bad at all just will take a bit of tinkering to make it stronger, maybe more pepper and think I may add salt next time. Would go really nicely with steak as suspect my usual supermarket pepper corn has too much added sugar. Need to find some sort of low carb crackers as I restricted myself to two ryevita with cambozola as an after. What worries me is I note that mentos sugar free gum has carbs listed!!! Been chewing away to avoid the smokes and snacking and couldn't believe it when I read the packet! Next thing I'll find is vape liquid full of sugar! :banghead:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@annabell1 - the way I find my last post is click on my user name then select posts then replies. Your latest post is at the top. It also tells you where you posted. @DJC3 - I do hope the cough was just a cough. @PenguinMum - fingers crossed you get your appointments soon.
Tuesday bed 6.4 FBG 6.6.

B. TAG. I'd run out of SLC bread so I had a SLC roll instead with melted edam on it.
L. Off to physio minus the snow and ice and the sun came out.
D. Lemon sole with a lemon and parsley butter. Another Iceland broccoli/cauliflower thing. 2 squares 85% and yes a Lidl Active lolly.

I have to say having been out at the Physio then to the supermarket on the way home, you would never know we were in Tier 4 (really 5 +++!). Streets were heaving. It also didn't help the number of roadworks going on.
Thank you I'm guessing this is on a computer so will try on my laptop.

Reactions: maglil55

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
My recent blood test results HBA1C 6.1 total cholesterol 6.2 up LDL 4.3 Trig 1.4 vit D 60 low so need to up my levels considering it's low in summer so will increase Vit D my GP talked about statins again but I said I trying to get back to my LC diet again so hopefully will help. But she is not convinced it's diet related

Dinner last night 2as suppose to be roast sirloin but wasn't up to cooking wad a tad tired. So had a protein shake made with almond milk fresh cream vanilla extract and 1/2 frozen banana which helped.

Breakfast I had sourdough crossaints that I had forgotten I had in freezer so had that with butter low carb jam. And two black coffee cleaning out my carby foods so I can start afresh

Started feeling nauseas again and been asked to monitor blood pressure was 117/89 so I think OK so had something to eat Lunch nectarine peice of cheese and a probiotic mineral water low carb no sugar

Dinner currently roasting my sirloin roast and veggies and making gravy and mash potatoes more carby veggies that I'm to get through

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday was Fish Finger Firsday which I always look forward to though I get a sharp rise I do get a sharp drop so am only high for a little time and consider it worth it. They are jumbo fish fingers btw.
Breakfast always slice HiLo toast, good butter, copious tea.
Lunch was the last of the shallot, celery, leek and broccoli soup.
Today am planning scrambled eggs for lunch and getting some fresh fish for supper which will be simply panfried in butter a companied by broccoli. I personally get through 1 kg broccoli a week, love the stuff!
Great news day in our stable yesterday as youngest son and GF got engaged and then I got an appointment for the vaccine next week.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been hanging around for quite a while, in the hope that I could, somehow, get on with the low carb way of eating but have, at last, come to the conclusion that, being insulin resistant as well as dependent, it is not for me. It isn't recommended, I know, for folk like me, but I was hoping it might do some good. Back onto Metformin yesterday after a blood test for kidney damage and BGs were actually down to a reasonable level despite eating some chips at lunchtime (Em had some and I finished what she didn't want). However, we're back to normal today with FBG 12.5 (3 am after another bad dream made me get up).

Breakfast: 60 units Humilin S, a morning roll with one slice of Lorne sausage and a fried egg. BG after 2 hours was 15.5. Nevertheless, I'm not for low carbing any longer so will not be posting on this forum. Might look in from time to time to get news of my friends. But on the whole - goodbye folks. It's been nice knowing you.

Reactions: DJC3

Max68

Really struggling with this and it's only been a week. Not well at all today and stomach (IBS) is really bad this week although I knew I couldn't tolerate to much veg and salad so not a surprise, after upping that this week, and as much as I'd like to try those bread rolls and bread at seriouslylowcarb.com whilst not working at the moment I can't really justify £10.38 on one loaf of bread and a few rolls! Was doing ok last year on seeded or some brown breads and rice so going to go back to that but not over do it. Will however see if I feel ok enough to have a steak and halloumi fries tonight. If just reducing carbs rather than cutting them out totally doesn't work again I have no idea what I will do, but cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for all your help. Just wish someone would invent a non carb potato!!

Reactions: DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well looks like I’ll be a regular member of the SLC bread group! My bread and rolls arrived yesterday after ordering the day before on Monday but only got round to trying a roll today - most chucked in freezer for later while looked at my menu plans! I thought the roll was really acceptable as did my OH - so a bit of a game changer for us. They will be so useful when travel to mums at weekend and whilst hanging around outside hospital etc. I’m sure I’ll still make my bread when time but so helpful to have ready baked stuff as I’m time stretched. I’ve now ordered more hunter and gatherer sugar free tomato sauce as think will be using more with the rolls ......
18/6 day
Lunch bacon and egg with one SLC roll no butter but spread with sf tomato sauce.
Mid pm Aldi choc and nut bar (found boxes of these at back of cupboard and they are almost out of date so of course I had to help out!)
Dinner pheasant breast wrapped in bacon and pan fried served with salad and glass of soda water with bitters pudding DGF brownie with teaspoon of cream.
Glad you liked SLC - yep game changer so handy and convenient with hardly any carbs - bacon butties back on the menu for you and burgers and fried eggs etc etc etc .... they are sooo good - Enjoy!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure the bloods went well today @shelley262 - you are a gold star patient - that's what my DN tells me! but it's hard work eh

Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - warm chargrilled chicken with avocado and a large salad with dollop of coleslaw

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum I had fresh fish, pan fried with broccoli twice last week. I agree it’s a lovely, simple, tasty meal.
Sorry to see you go @Annb and @Max68 I hope you find another thread on the forum that suits your preferred way of eating and can give you support, please don’t disappear from DCUK altogether though.
@shelley262 I hope all went well with your blood draw, are your results usually available electronically?
Today I drank a lot of coffee as I was up early to swim in the sea at Newquay harbour. Invigorating and exhilarating but very cold. A lot more coffee afterwards and scrambled eggs with toasted slice of Mestermacher bread Thanks so much for the recommendation @Goonergal
Remained hungry and ate a lump of cheddar mid afternoon.
Dinner was h/m burger topped with crumbled Roquefort and bacon plus a salad of lettuce, avocado and a cherry tomato drizzled with olive oil.
1 DGF blondie to follow. I’m a bit cheesed off as I missed out ordering the new coffee&walnut flavour tonight. Restock supposed to be live at 7pm but all sold out by 18:59. I still have a lot in the freezer so I’m not likely to go short!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 thank you - we need to tell each other as not all our dns are enlightened! Saw a healthcare assistant today just for blood tests, weighing, bp and feet tickling but results via a DN phone call end of next week I’m expecting more of my usual ignoring of my low(hopefully) hba etc next week and most of conversation from her being persuasion for me to take statins as I have high LDL and me disagreeing! it was funny today with HCA she weighed me and as lowish same weight as January 2020 recorded she said you’re obviously eating a healthy diet with lots of fruit and exercising a lot. I had to clarify what I was actually eating ie little to no fruit but low carb but she just smiled and ignored what I’d said!
Lunch one SLC roll with bacon and egg
Dinner bolognese and garlic lc bread with celebratory glass of dry white wine pudding DGF brownie with spoon of cream.
Signing out now until later next week as I will be busy caring for mum pre and post operation. She has poor phone signal and no internet plus will be dashing around. Speak next week.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 thank you - we need to tell each other as not all our dns are enlightened! Saw a healthcare assistant today just for blood tests, weighing, bp and feet tickling but results via a DN phone call end of next week I’m expecting more of my usual ignoring of my low(hopefully) hba etc next week and most of conversation from her being persuasion for me to take statins as I have high LDL and me disagreeing! it was funny today with HCA she weighed me and as lowish same weight as January 2020 recorded she said you’re obviously eating a healthy diet with lots of fruit and exercising a lot. I had to clarify what I was actually eating ie little to no fruit but low carb but she just smiled and ignored what I’d said!
Lunch one SLC roll with bacon and egg
Dinner bolognese and garlic lc bread with celebratory glass of dry white wine pudding DGF brownie with spoon of cream.
Signing out now until later next week as I will be busy caring for mum pre and post operation. She has poor phone signal and no internet plus will be dashing around. Speak next week.
I luv it bacon & egg doubler!

I hope all goes well with your mum and you take care too Mrs - catch up next week

Max68

@PenguinMum I had fresh fish, pan fried with broccoli twice last week. I agree it’s a lovely, simple, tasty meal.
Sorry to see you go @Annb and @Max68 I hope you find another thread on the forum that suits your preferred way of eating and can give you support, please don’t disappear from DCUK altogether though.
@shelley262 I hope all went well with your blood draw, are your results usually available electronically?
Today I drank a lot of coffee as I was up early to swim in the sea at Newquay harbour. Invigorating and exhilarating but very cold. A lot more coffee afterwards and scrambled eggs with toasted slice of Mestermacher bread Thanks so much for the recommendation @Goonergal
Remained hungry and ate a lump of cheddar mid afternoon.
Dinner was h/m burger topped with crumbled Roquefort and bacon plus a salad of lettuce, avocado and a cherry tomato drizzled with olive oil.
1 DGF blondie to follow. I’m a bit cheesed off as I missed out ordering the new coffee&walnut flavour tonight. Restock supposed to be live at 7pm but all sold out by 18:59. I still have a lot in the freezer so I’m not likely to go short!

Thank you, is there a "lesser carb" thread? I'm certainly going to be more careful as I went well over the top carb wise last few months with white bread, potatoes etc, far too many of them, but I have sat in front of Sains C&C this afternoon and checked product information which I have never done before. Trying a few ideas people were kind enough to suggest on here like celeriac and cauliflower "fried" rice but am also going to try Vivaldi potatoes on occasion in small amounts, Hi-Lo Seeded bread on occasion, and have purchased gluten free, lower carb soups and sauces and condiments to spice up the steaks and chicken. So far more sensible than I was but not going as far as no carb. Will see how it plays out and reassess at my next HBA1c. Looking forward to receiving my Southern Fried Coating from LoDough - Wings and Drumsticks already ordered!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, is there a "lesser carb" thread?

Max this is a ‘lesser’ carb thread. It’s in the low carb section of the forum, not the ketogenic section or carnivore corner. It’s most definitely not a no carb thread.

Sure it wouldn’t be the right place to be discussing eating large quantities of the ‘beige’ carbs, but you’ll see some of the regulars have small amounts of say potato, every now and then and plenty eat low carb bread/baked goods daily.

Reactions: DJC3 and Max68

Max68

Max this is a ‘lesser’ carb thread. It’s in the low carb section of the forum, not the ketogenic section or carnivore corner. It’s most definitely not a no carb thread.

Sure it wouldn’t be the right place to be discussing eating large quantities of the ‘beige’ carbs, but you’ll see some of the regulars have small amounts of say potato, every now and then and plenty eat low carb bread/baked goods daily.

Thank you. Feeling bit better this evening so going to have a rump steak with Portobello mushrooms coated with heated brie and try the halloumi fries!

Update = the halloumi fries were fabulous so thank u to who suggested them, a great chip substitute. Just a suggestion for those who like blue cheese and portobello mushrooms. When mushrooms are in oven coat with cambozola until runny. Goes fabulously with steak and halloumi.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One protein bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken drumsticks, leafy salad, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Onlinecaroline

Lunch: I had ordered sub rolls from Keto Cottage Kitchen and oh my. I had it with bacon, chicken, a little tomato, Mayo and cheese. It was absolutely delicious and all for about 4/5g.

Dinner: Homemade Buffalo chicken dip with a few salted pork puffs, broccoli and 4 chicken wings.

Choc Orange Brownie from KCK order and a cuppa.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoga, then grabbed a brownie and a slice of lc soda bread from the freezer to take on a walk with a friend.
I ate the brownie but then got so busy chatting I forgot all about the bread so ended up eating it for lunch with some camembert that was starting to smell the fridge out.
2 bits of Godiva 72%. Its too sweet and instantly makes me want more so won't be buying it again.
D: 2 small, bits of steak cut from the boys bits. 5 chips and peppercorn sauce. Carrots and cabbage. Brownie with cream. 2 glasses wine.
9pm severe munchies so 1 slice soda bread with more of the camembert that has been purposefully left out of the fridge. So tasty, remainder will be even better tomorrow

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Pl
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One protein bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken drumsticks, leafy salad, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

please tell me more about this coconut porridge. I love all things coconut lol!