What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Max68

I know you said something about not getting along with cauliflower rice but have you tried it as fried rice? I keep the individual bags of cauliflower rice in the freezer if I can't be bothered making/bagging it (it's another of my Iceland favourites). It's simple to make. Chop up some spring onion and soften in a mix of butter/olive oil in a wok. Add frozen peas and cauliflower rice. Mix and I usual put a lid on for a few minutes. Failing that keep stirring! When the "rice" has just the right amount of "bite" still in it add Tamari Soy (you get it in supermarkets and it's gluten free), mix then stir through a beaten egg.
You may have seen me mention Iceland's broccoli/cauliflower "thingy"? That's a straight to oven job. 25 mins and it comes out a bit like a veggie souffle. Links below.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-4-cauliflower-rice-steam-bags-600g/80220.html

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland...15.html#q=broccoli&originalQuery=Broc&start=1

May I just say genius and a big thank you. Home made special fried cauliflower rice is as good as the real thing and that soy sauce is nice. Big game changer for me and can't wait to try it with some crispy duck! Thank u again.

Reactions: maglil55

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Brunch scrambled eggs on buttered sourdough toast

Dinner Leftovers roast sirloin mash potatoes the last of a 1/4 sourdough baguette. Too carby I know

I often think doctors or dietitians who don't have diabetes should experience how some diabetic feel after eating the carbs they recommend us to eat then they may understand how it impacts us....

Breakfast Leftovers scrambled eggs from Yesterdays meal and leftover pancakes.

Lunch isowhey protein shake using almond milk 3 strawberries vanilla extract sprinkle of cinammon and ice blitzed. bsl b4 shake was 4.1 then Decided to test an hour or so later BSL is 6. Feeling very bloated and funny Feeling in head as feels like higher than reading.... so will test again in another hour then 4 hours after. I am on medication for T2D so I know drugs kicking in but slowly eating up all my to much carby foods etc as to restart eating low carb. This time I'm planing to do it properly instead just diving in like I normally do.

Dinner still have left over sirloin roast so if hungry by then will cut up and have with vegetables salad or a green lettuce salad. Otherwise might be breakfast tomorrow.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Have enjoyed reading and catching up on the last couple of days. @Annb sorry that LC isnt suiting you and I hope you can find a happy medium. @Max68 good luck with finding a suitable LC path to suit you. @shelley262 hope all goes well with your mum this week. Right now down to what I am eating.
Yesterday I made my first Dr Almond loaf and it was easy and took 80 mins in the oven. It was really good and I had two slices for lunch with a chunk of cheese, negligible carbs per slice. Its expensive at abt £6 per small loaf but a great addition to my low carb arsenal! Supper last night was a t/a Tandoori King Prawns and cauli bhajee. This morning had two thin slices Dr A toast and lots of tea. Lunch likely to be scrambled eggs to use them up. Supper will be an early bbq of lamb chop, chicken skewer and sausage and salad. . The warmer or less cold weather has made us dizzy with excitement! i have some celeriac chips in the freezer. Can anyone remind me whether they should be oven cooked from frozen or defrosted first. I remember they need a longer time than potato chips. TIA. Happy Sunday everyone.

Max68

No breakfast bar coffee today as usual but at half time in the football cooked a few rashers of Dry Cure Oak Smoked Pancetta (C&C substitute and very nice), one fried egg and two eggs scrambled with one small slice of Hi-Lo Seeded Medium Sliced Wholemeal Bread with a coffee. Tasted even better after the result! Tonight will have Picanha Steak with a Portobello Mushroom maybe coated in cheddar tonight and will try some Celeriac chips. Do you just cut these into strips, season then fry or oven bake as will be my first time attempting? Strawberries and double cream to finish with a coke zero. Weighed myself after my walk and just over 12 stone. Two weeks ago I was 12 and a half stone. Been many years since in the 11-12 stone area so that's my first target.

Really enjoyed the celeriac fries. Cut them a bit thin but all a learning curve. But lovely with a touch of salt. Intrigued that last couple of days with the mushrooms, celeriac, halloumi etc is that I haven't felt hungry later in the evening which is a positive as it means less temptation to snack.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Re celeriac chips in my experience it hasn’t made any difference if cooked from frozen or defrosted @PenguinMum . @Max68 I always coat with oil and Chuck in the oven on a baking sheet.
Today’s food has been:
Brunch cheesy scrambled eggs with the last couple of slices toasted Dr Almond seedy black bread and butter.
Lunch was topside of beef, cooked sous vide for 16 hrs then coated in Mayo and seared. It was gorgeous and we all ate far too much. Some wilted spinach, broccoli and shredded sprouts with bacon to accompany the ‘roast’, plus a couple of glasses of wine. And a bit of cheese ( no biscuits) to follow.

Reactions: maglil55 and Max68

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another dry walk, Yay!
L: ham loaf and a 90 sec mug bread that I forgot the quantities for, so a bit eggy but tasted OK
D: roast beef (sadly tough and chewy) with 1 small Yorkshire, 1 tiny roast potato, cauliflower cheese, broccoli and carrots and swede mash. Did extra plates for 3 neighbours who are on their own.
Berry bake with a little extra cream. 1 glass red.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Settling into a regular routine of TMAD at the moment.

Lunch was eggs and bacon - bought some double yolk eggs from Waitrose - they’re enormous! One of those plus one small egg and 4 rashers streaky bacon.

Dinner was once again in 2 stages as the first round wasn’t quite enough. Two portions of pork belly pieces coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried. Probably could have managed with 1.5 portions rather than 2.

@MrsA2 feel free to bring a plate of beef and cauliflower cheese round here too!

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few cubes of marmite cheese and sugar drop peppers.
Dinner: rolled lamb belly roasted with garlic and rosemary with mixed veggies, one tiny roast potato and gravy made from meat juices thickened with ground flax seeds followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I have had 2 boiled eggs with ham for breakfast, with tea :)

Max68

After having a positive chat with a new GP about my disastrous HBA1c was pleased that she is 100% behind me lowering carbs. She would like me to aim for 70KG which I haven't been since about 15 so it's a challenge! Anyway., lunch was a tin of red salmon with two small slices of Hi-Lo Seeded Medium Sliced Wholemeal Bread with a coffee. Update, changed my mind and having two burgers, pancetta and a couple of fried eggs and mushrooms.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Late lunch - grilled salmon with asparagus in butter and pepper
Dinner tonight steak with red cabbage (hopefully)

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

OMAD today. Wasn’t planned, just turned out that way. Dinner was 20% mince fried with onions, one of the enormous double yolk eggs and some grated cheese. One of my favourites.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Double beef day for me.

Lunch SLC roll filled with roast beef, cheddar, Mayo and mustard. Followed by DGF blondie.

Dinner- more cold roast beef ( it was a very large joint yesterday) with a wedge of iceberg lettuce, h/m blue cheese dressing, 2 cherry toms and 1/2 avocado. 1 glass red.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: bacon melts with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had blood test today. Kind phlebotomist added full liver and lipids to the list. Glad id stayed fasted for it. Fingers crossed now for a full diabetic review next week - my first since diagnosis 11 months ago.
L: salad with a bit of ham loaf and cheese. Berry bake with cream
D: yesterday's tough beef blitzed down and topped with celeriac mash - sort of a deconstructed cottage pie. Berry bake with cream
A glass red wine

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a taste of my partners lemon lime sorbet, that rocked the bgl a bit, it was nice though. :arghh:
Both my husband and my son are very good at letting me have a taste of whatever they have that looks good, but we do limit it to just a taste or a spoonful. The longer I low carb the less I am tempted, and mostly now a taste is too sweet and I don't even want a second taste. For example we have hot cross buns in the house. Last year at this time I found it hard not to eat them. This year I nibbled a corner and that has been enough. The rest just sit there.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The longer I low carb the less I am tempted, and mostly now a taste is too sweet and I don't even want a second taste.
I know what you mean about being to sweet tasting to come back for another taste, the sorbet has a tart taste like licking a fresh lemon lime which sort of cleans the mouth up a bit. :)

Reactions: Speedbird