What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch was a large chicken salad with h/m mayo then a DGF choc mint brownie.
No inspiration for dinner, no inclination to cook much so a burger seemed the least troublesome option. Just mince with a bit of onion salt and garlic granules. Topped with bacon and some blue cheese and a slice of fried Halloumi 2 glasses red.
Glad you liked the LoDough coating @Max68 you seem to be embracing the low carb lifestyle pretty well.

Reactions: Ceppo and maglil55

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’m back in the USA visiting. I just can’t get enough New Mexico hatch green chili, a very unique flavor. Eating a lot of salmon and greens.

6E558D53-6720-4205-BDEA-9D4F939933B5.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everything up to that last sentence sounds great mind you my mum used to make Cola Floats - Coke with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top, we loved them although they looked horrible as the ice cream melted and they went a sludgy colour.
We called them ice cream drinks. We used to get taken to the local ice cream parlour after church on a Sunday. Usually it was a hot orange and a hot roll but, if we'd had a particularly good week it was an ice cream drink. My two favourites were red cola with vanilla ice cream or, best of the lot, American Cream Soda and vanilla.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some rapid entries required from me as once again I am wayyyyy behind! Sunday 21 February bed 5.6 FBG 6.2. Didn't get my lie in as No 2 grandson was in residence but, give him his due, he slept until 8.40am. Must have needed it.
B. Just TAG - feeding grandson took priority.
L. Nothing after taking grandson home had to nip to the shops to get some bits and pieces.
D. Usual campari and soda. 2 slices of SLC toast with pate. Rib eye with mushrooms, mustard, mini cob and veggie chips. Lidl Vanilla lolly (horrors- they didn't have them today but thankfully I still have a few in the freezer).

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Max68

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 6.1 FBG 5.5. Back on the school run. Youngest grandson back to school so I'm transporting him and his friend to school (saves his pal's Mum dragging all her kids to school and back when only one is going back. Must say I like the new drop off - one way system with a staggered 20 min start and no lines. Sanitise and straight to class. Then back to get eldest who is still with me for home schooling.
B. TAG
L. 2 slices of SLC bread with egg mayo.
D. Pork escalope with a LC Crumb, fried egg, Iceland broccoli/cauliflower souffle thingy and a Lidl lolly.

Tuesday bed 5.3 FBG 4.8

B. TAG
L. 2 slices of SLC bread with ox tongue and coleslaw.
D. Matteson's smoked sausage and an Iceland broccoli/cauliflower souffle thing. Lidl vanilla lolly.

Wednesday bed 4.4 FBG 4.9. Was in the 4's almost all day until bedtime when it went up to 7.2 for no reason.

B. TAG
L. 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
D. Extracted a portion of Hubby's excellent chicken and mushroom soup from the freezer and had 2 bowls of that followed by my Lidl addiction lolly.

@PenguinMum - hope your jab went well. Son got his today. @DJC3 - I like asparagus soldiers wrapped in Parma Ham as it gives it a kind of bacon and egg feel. You can even air fry them to get the Parma Ham crispy. Meantime, youngest grandson has excelled on return to school and has picked up a values certificate every day! We're all wondering what he's after?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 7.2 FBG 7.3. After a day of 4's (highest was 5) no idea why. @PenguinMum & @DJC3 - Thanks for the thoughts. This week, however, brother has rallied again. I only had time for a short visit but returned on Friday for a long visit. Obviously, I know he isn't going to get better but it is nice to see him so much brighter and alert.

B. TAG
D. Had another of these pork escalopes with a fried egg and a mini cob and one of these Iceland broccoli/cauliflower souffle things. Lidl lolly - horrors! Last one and they didn't have any in my local Lidl either.

Nice to see you back @SlimLizzy.

As well as brother rallying a bit, No 2 grandson has been declared Class Value Champion for the week. His teacher phoned to tell his Mum he'd been a "dream child" since his return. When she told the Staffroom they looked on in disbelief! He's as proud as punch as they are photographed and posted on the school sites with their giant certificates.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Max68

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really have to get my shop right re use by dates. Had far too much chicken to try out that lo dough chicken coating and the wings looked like they were from a pterodactyl rather than a small chicken! So Wednesday it was chicken with a salad and some celeriac fries and last night some chicken again with a sea bass starter considering it needed to be eaten and some coleslaw! Odd mix I know! Lunch Thursday my first ham and cheese omelette done in the microwave and today poached eggs on low carb toast. The lo dough coating is really good but thinking of a way top give it a bit of a kick. Bit of salt and pepper maybe. Lots of it too and stupidly emptied it out thinking it was only going to be a little! Tonight will probably have burgers, eggs and a handful of chips. Struggled a bit this week and fell off the wagon a tad with some schars pringles thingies, albeit not too many, and felt a bit weak earlier so had two choc digestives. A few chips tonight will be my first in two weeks . Update - Scrap that had the two biscuits so not having chips. Have some lamb fillet in fridge so have ordered a chicken, donner kebab with salad and am cooking the lamb fillet to throw in. No sides!! Extra update, the kebab itself was enough so lamb waiting till tonight!
Mix some hot paprika through it if you want to spice it up. I make my own coatings and if you want heat hot paprika is the way to go. Sweet paprika for a milder taste. Lemon zest and chopped parsley is another good addition. Or garlic powder which goes well with a sour cream dip. The mixes go with loads of things.

Reactions: Max68

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 5.1 FBG 5.8 so last night seems to have been a blip. All in all it's been a good week with the school run and also home schooling. I still had a long day as once I got the boys home, I grabbed a sandwich, had a long visit with brother then did my shopping.
B. TAG
D. 2 lemon sole pan fried with butter, lemon and parsley with wilted spinach and my broccoli/cauliflower souffle (which I've restocked in the freezer). Some king cherries (since I'm out of Lidl lollies).
Grandson completed the week with a full house of certificates and his table won the "table prize" for most points - most of which were clocked up by grandson.

Max68

Mix some hot paprika through it if you want to spice it up. I make my own coatings and if you want heat hot paprika is the way to go. Sweet paprika for a milder taste. Lemon zest and chopped parsley is another good addition. Or garlic powder which goes well with a sour cream dip. The mixes go with loads of things.

Thank you I'll try that. Stupid question but I have quite a bit left over in a tub but worried if I should use it as obviously I stupidly tipped it all out and rolled the chicken. Couldn't believe there was so much left. Do you think it will be ok for the next batch or would the raw chicken have contaminated it?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you I'll try that. Stupid question but I have quite a bit left over in a tub but worried if I should use it as obviously I stupidly tipped it all out and rolled the chicken. Couldn't believe there was so much left. Do you think it will be ok for the next batch or would the raw chicken have contaminated it?
Not stupid at all. Yes, it is possibly contaminated with bacteria due to the raw chicken. It's the one thing I don't take chances with. Raw poultry is just too dodgy. The trick is to only tip out a small amount then add more as you need it. Personally, I would ditch anything raw chicken had been in previously.

Reactions: Max68

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@maglil55 good to see you back posting and glad your brother is having a better spell.

@DJC3 @maglil55 I used to love ice cream floats as they were called - they were a special treat at the local Wimpy, made with vanilla ice cream and coke. Always had that or a knickerbocker glory.

@Max68 agree, Paprika would be a good addition to the coating. I’ve bought a variety of different salts and seasonings from these two suppliers. https://justingredients.co.uk/ https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/

Another TMAD day here. Brunch was pork belly pieces coated with salt and chilli oil and air fried. Best in ages - managed to pick the perfect slices with a solid chunk of fat next to the skin.

Dinner was air fried poussin, which was seasoned with salt and lemon pepper.

Followed each meal with a ramekin of Greek yoghurt. Picked up the 0% Fage which has about half the carbs of my usual ‘Greek style’ yoghurt and is equally tasty. Got a kilo for £2 yesterday evening as it was about to go out of date, but yoghurt always lasts for ages in the fridge. Yum - and seems to be helping with some gut issues I’ve been having recently.

Attachments

• ABCC54C2-CD24-4962-A176-17FBED8DB914.jpeg
    ABCC54C2-CD24-4962-A176-17FBED8DB914.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 110

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely to see you back @maglil55 I’m glad your brother is in good spirits and I’m super happy about No 2 becoming a dream child. I’m sure that has a lot to do with your patience and care.
I might be trying some of those broccoli cheese soufflé things soon: I’ll need to go into town this week as Dennis got hold of my reading glasses today and chewed the frame. I’ll have to get another pair from Boots, and Iceland is almost next door. Could you post a photo of the box if you have a minute? ( no photos of the Lidl lollies though please - I don’t need encouragement)
Back to my food today-
Brunch: scrambled eggs on Mestermacher toast with a dollop of sauerkraut
About 50g St Agur cheese somewhere along the way.
Dinner: fabulous shellfish supper delivered this morning from local Padstow crab and lobster fisherman. He usually supplies restaurants but obviously can’t at the moment so we considered it our civic duty to help a local business and had the most wonderful fresh lobster and crab. I made a quick green salad with avocado and h/m aioli to go with it. 1/2 bottle of Pouilly Fume. Absolute heaven!

Onlinecaroline

Yesterday was accidentally OMAD+ - half a pack of pork puffs and an individual Boursin portion just befor the vaccine.

Was too tired to cook so ordered take away for dinner. Chicken chat wings, spicy lamb chops, saag paneer and garlic mushrooms shared between me and hubby.

Today

Lunch - 3 eggs mashed in a cup with butter and 4 slices of chorizo.

Dinner - Boursin chicken with Parma ham, cabbage and cauliflower cheese. Probably end today with a Fibre one caramel bar and a tea.

Weight loss seems to have stalled - I’ve lost 2 stone in total and would have liked to drop another 2. Been tracking my fat also but everything is within target. Need to up my steps I think!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner: fabulous shellfish supper delivered this morning from local Padstow crab and lobster fisherman. He usually supplies restaurants but obviously can’t at the moment so we considered it our civic duty to help a local business and had the most wonderful fresh lobster and crab. I made a quick green salad with avocado and h/m aioli to go with it. 1/2 bottle of Pouilly Fume. Absolute heaven!
I need an "envious" button!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
FBG 5 1
Breakfast, last of the nut granola, CWC, second cup with milk.
Went out for a walk, but local beauty spot so crowded, nowhere to park. supermarket shop instead. Poor substitute. Got the much needed hazelnuts for granola, (unavailable yesterday in two different supermarkets ) and cream. Somehow various unsuitable items arrived in the basket when I wasn't looking. Some of these were consumed as part of lunch.
Experiment: don't usually eat like this.
Before lunch BG 5.0
Lunch smoked trout with 1 slice previously frozen and defrosted bread, ( 11g carbs) lettuce and mayonnaise. Followed by a fresh cream and chocolate drizzle choux bun (19g carbs) and a cup of tea.
1 hour BG 9.9
2 hour BG 6.2
This was deliberately sedentary time for experimental purposes.
Hour later still 6.2
MrSlim bought hot cross buns - I love hot cross buns, well the proper ones with spices, dried fruit including peel and no horrid sticky glaze, but at 41g carbs each they are a definite NO. That's 25% more than my carb heavy lunch. Took the cat for a walk - had to get away from the delicious aroma. Managed to find him a nest of mice but they scattered in seconds with him apparently unaware of the missed opportunity. Tomorrow might try to get a video. Always tricky, if I bend down to get a better/closer view he comes to see what I am doing. Closeup of cats nose!
Made dinner and checked before eating. BG 4.9
Dinner Mahani curry from iceland. Supposedly for one, but looked enough for two, added some chunks of fried red peppers to make sure though. MrSlim had rice, I had Bang Bang cauliflower from Lidl. We both had green beans. I drank white wine Spitzer. (LC tonic ) Errant was very happy to clean out the plastic tray outside. Told him he had to wash his feet before being allowed back in though.
After dinner, bit more than 2 hours 5.8
Just now CWC
Will be my usual lemon tea at bedtime.
Will be interesting to see FBG tomorrow.
Next trip to Iceland will be looking for the little souffles mentioned by @maglil55
Apologies forgot about parallel chat so it's all in here today.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
woke really early so had 2 scrambled eggs before yoga
Early lunch of 2 pieces lc soda bread (must make some more as it keeps well in the freezer) with 30g cheese
Foray out to lidl. Very pleased I didnt even look for @maglil55 lollies!
Their choclate is on 15% off if you have loyalty card, so bought 6 bars. DH has been told to hide them from me.
Boy cooked dinner tonight of a mix of Italian tapas/meze, so chicken wings, meatballs, avocado pesto, roasted peppers. Tried chicken liver again but neither he or I liked them. Cats and DH very happy tho.
2 Italian cocktails with Aperol, straight in to the bloodstream!!! Such a lightweight thses days

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner, Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely to see you back @maglil55 I’m glad your brother is in good spirits and I’m super happy about No 2 becoming a dream child. I’m sure that has a lot to do with your patience and care.
I might be trying some of those broccoli cheese soufflé things soon: I’ll need to go into town this week as Dennis got hold of my reading glasses today and chewed the frame. I’ll have to get another pair from Boots, and Iceland is almost next door. Could you post a photo of the box if you have a minute? ( no photos of the Lidl lollies though please - I don’t need encouragement)
Back to my food today-
Brunch: scrambled eggs on Mestermacher toast with a dollop of sauerkraut
Here they are

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-4-creamy-broccoli-and-cauliflower-gratin-480g/58315.html

These Lidl lollies are concerning me now. I managed to get 2 boxes today but that's the 2 Lidl's closest to me cleaned out now. I'm hoping they just need a restock and that it will not be another saga like the high protein rolls and their Lighthouse Bay high protein noodles.

Remember Iceland also have that delicious Wild shrimp with tomato & chilli.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Morning All

Breakfast- 2 Boiled Eggs. 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
Lunch- 10x Cheese Chips and 4 x Hungarian Salami Chips
Dinner - 2 x Fish Fillets
Snacks 2 x Almonds (5)
6 Coffees (each with a Dash of Skim Milk and 2 Equal Sachets)

1071 Calories 20g Carbs (need to lift Calories to around 1800 and include Salad etc)