What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a birthday cake phd smart bar (just to be absolutely sure they don’t spike me as I’m currently using my first Libre, blood sugar barely budged, so I’m very happy)
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: home made, low carb Scotch eggs (thanks for the recipe @DJC3) with salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

View attachment 48012

They look great, easier than you might expect aren’t they?

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Moussaka tonight, loosely based on this recipe.

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/mousakas/

Swapped the flour for arrowroot powder, and halved the quantity of most of the ingredients. It's still fed 2 of us, with enough left over to do the same, tomorrow. Not sure about the carbs, but should be pretty low. Mostly in the tinned tomatoes again, I think.
Lol that's the recipe base I followed for my recent moussaka meal I did mine with mushrooms and chicken mince. How did you make the white sauce I was hesisitent to use the eggs and didn't use them.

Reactions: ziggy_w

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Thursday
Breakfast Sourdough toast butter with pouched eggs black coffee

Dinner tandoori chicken thigh and a quail with tbls home-made yoghurt and tsp store brought pickled eggplants.

Friday not good low carb day over did the carbs
Breakfast
Sourdough toast butter and black coffee with scrambled eggs black coffee.

Dinner forgot to pull-out anything from freezer and wasn't upto leftover meals of moussaka so embarrassed to say found last lot of frozen chips that forgot I had so air fryer hot chips with home-made guacamole and lebanese bread and a peach.

Saturday
Brunch two fried egg on sourdough toast butter black coffee

Last night pulled out a t-bone steak and a ribeye so the plan is to cook one for dinner with same grilled cauliflower and maybe cabbage salad with garlic lemony sauce. And the other for a meal tomorrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 6.3 FBG 6.1. @MrsT123 - I was waiting with baited breath when my DGF order arrived in Peterbrough last night but it made it to my local DO at 5am and has just been delivered! Does this means the days of it having a 4 or 5 day holiday in Peterborough have gone? @Onlinecaroline - as @shelley262 said you can sometimes get a rogue sensor (which Abbott happily replace). It's difficult to know without a finger prick check. I'm going to go onto using them full time with them stopping my strips. I activated a sensor on Wednesday evening (I'd put in on Wednesday morning whereas usually I'd attach it one or two days before). It was yesterday morning before it settled and is pretty much bang on now. I'll only check again if I get an unusual reading I.e. very high or low. I use GLIMP but again you have to be able to finger prick and record the odd blood reading. GLIMP then makes adjustments to the sensor reading. Anyway, back to yesterday
B. TAG and two of 8foods crackers (red pepper, sun dried tomato and sesame seed) with Dairylea. 8foods is that new place I found. The crackers are excellent and loads of flavours.
L. Up to visit brother. Less engaged this week I regret to say. 2 mugs of black tea. Later another two of 8foods crackers with a bit ox tongue.
D. Mince with one of the Iceland broccoli and cauliflower souffle things. 2 bits 85%.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Thanks @maglil55 for tagging me, feel a bit guilty for the delay in responding.

@DJC3 -- I usually buy potato fiber in 500 plastic buckets, which are airtight. Thus, I won't have to worry about them going stale. They are about 8g of carbs per 100g, so impact on blood sugars is negligible, especially as one doesn't need a lot. I use them in homemade bread (about an 8th of a cup for 10 rolls), in zucchini-onion fritters, and in cauliflower mash (gives a taste akin to mashed potatoes, three tablespoons for a medium sized cauliflower head). I wonder if in some way, you can turn this into fries (chips). Have to think on this ...

Unfortunately, I haven't tried potato fiber for thicking stew, so can't really help with this. After trying quite some thickeners (including xantham gum), I have settled on locust bean gum powder (also called carob, I believe), which has a much more pleasant texture. Also, works in puddings btw.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually buy potato fiber in 500 plastic buckets, which are airtight.
I now have a mental picture of a spare room in your house with 500 buckets of potato fiber :hilarious:.
I know that's not what you meant but it gave me a good laugh all the same ;)

No more postponing groceries, despite the weather being as horrible as yesterday, as I'm currently having the last bit of milk in my coffee and tomorrow will be a very bad day if it starts without coffee.
Not much vegetables left to steal from the guinea-pigs either so I guess I'll buy green beans and mushrooms for dinner to go with yesterdays peanut sauce and more of the thawed pork belly strips. And lots of new veggies for the piggies of course!

Last edited:

Max68

Sorry missed a few days. Had no lunch for a few days bar scrambled eggs on two small slices of hi-lo toast today. Been struggling a bit with treats, especially those Schar's Curves which are hard to put down. I'm like that creature from Star Trek who craves salt! Main meals though been doing ok bar having to eat some steak that needed eating and it just didn't taste right so it went in the bin and I had some pate on a couple of Ryvita instead. Not ideal but hey ho. Other mains this week have been Egg, Bacon, Sausages and Mushrooms, Firecracker wings and salad, Lamb Chops with broccoli and a couple of awful sweet potato wedges I stupidly put in the deep fat fryer! The shop was out of halloumi fries!

Can I ask about how to do these scotch eggs? I've got the eggs, lo dough coating and 5% fat pork mince. Obviously hard boil the eggs, wrap in pork mince and then cover with the coating but how do you cook? Deep fry or oven and for how long as obviously I guess it's difficult to see when the mince is cooked? Thank you.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

Thanks @maglil55 for tagging me, feel a bit guilty for the delay in responding.

@DJC3 -- I usually buy potato fiber in 500 plastic buckets, which are airtight. Thus, I won't have to worry about them going stale. They are about 8g of carbs per 100g, so impact on blood sugars is negligible, especially as one doesn't need a lot. I use them in homemade bread (about an 8th of a cup for 10 rolls), in zucchini-onion fritters, and in cauliflower mash (gives a taste akin to mashed potatoes, three tablespoons for a medium sized cauliflower head). I wonder if in some way, you can turn this into fries (chips). Have to think on this ...

Unfortunately, I haven't tried potato fiber for thicking stew, so can't really help with this. After trying quite some thickeners (including xantham gum), I have settled on locust bean gum powder (also called carob, I believe), which has a much more pleasant texture. Also, works in puddings btw.

OK, I know I said I wouldn't be posting here again but I have been reading all your posts to keep in touch. And I am intrigued by Ziggy's bread made with potato fibre. Does it have things in it like tapioca, arrowroot, oats or almond? If so, I wouldn't be able to use it but if not - any chance of jotting down the recipe, Ziggy?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I now have a mental picture of a spare room in your house with 500 buckets of potato fiber :hilarious:.
I know that's not what you meant but it gave me a good laugh all the same ;)

No more postponing groceries, despite the weather being as horrible as yesterday, as I'm currently having the last bit of milk in my coffee and tomorrow will be a very bad day if it starts without coffee.
Not much vegetables left to steal from the guinea-pigs either so I guess I'll buy green beans and mushrooms for dinner to go with yesterdays peanut sauce and more of the thawed pork belly strips. And lots of new veggies for the piggies of course!

Really funny :hilarious:;), @Antje77 -- hadn't even noticed this myself (should proofread posts more carefully). Of course, I meant to say 500g, but the "g" key doesn't work too well as my laptop is slowly heading towards 4 years of use. To be honest though, you are not too far off, the storage space is slowly taken over by the various types of flours and fibers (see photo for proof).

upload_2021-3-13_16-28-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I know I said I wouldn't be posting here again but I have been reading all your posts to keep in touch. And I am intrigued by Ziggy's bread made with potato fibre. Does it have things in it like tapioca, arrowroot, oats or almond? If so, I wouldn't be able to use it but if not - any chance of jotting down the recipe, Ziggy?

It's so good to see you on here, @Annb. I've definitely been missing you. So sorry to read on another thread that low carb hasn't worked out for you. Have a big hug.

The recipe for the rolls is losely based on the dietdoctor keto roll recipe, but even a bit lower carb (according to my calculations about 2g of carb for an entire roll). In my experience, the potato fiber helps the bread to retain more moisture during baking and not become too dry.

Ingredients:
- 2 quarter cups of oat fiber
- 2 quarter cups of lupin flour
- 1 quarter cup of almond flour
- 1/2 quarter cup of potato fiber
- 1 quarter cup (or a little more) of ground psyllium husk
- 1 pack of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriandeer seeds
- some ground or whole caraway seeds
- nigella seeds

Optional seeds to add (btw, I add all of these):
- chia seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- sesame seeds
- linseeds or flax seeds

Instructions:
- Mix everything,
- add about four cups of hot water (depending on the amount of liquid absorbing flours and seeds you use -- potato fiber, oat fiber, chia tend to absorb more water)
- and form around 10 rolls.
- Bake for about an hour and approx. 180 degrees centigrade.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's so good to see you on here, @Annb. I've definitely been missin you. So sorry to read on anaother thread that low carb hasn't worked out for you. Have a big hug.

The recipe for the rolls is losely based on the dietdoctor keto roll recipe, but even a bit lower carb (according to my calculations about 2g of carb for an entire roll). In my experience, the potato fiber helps the bread to retain more moisture during baking and not become too dry.

Ingredients:
- 2 quarter cups of oat fiber
- 2 quarter cups of lupin flour
- 1 quarter cup of almond flour
- 1/2 quarter cup of potato fiber
- 1 quarter cup (or a little more) of ground psyllium husk
- 1 pack of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriandeer seeds
- some ground or whole caraway seeds
- nigella seeds

Optional seeds to add (btw, I add all of these):
- chia seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- sesame seeds
- linseeds or flax seeds

Instructions:
- Mix everything,
- add about four cups of hot water (depending on the amount of liquid absorbing flours and seeds you use -- potato fiber, oat fiber, chia tend to absorb more water)
- and form around 10 rolls.
- Bake for about an hour and approx. 180 degrees centigrade.

Thanks Ziggy. Unfortunately, it's beginning to look as though my issues are caused partly by gluten - after a really bad few days recently, I have finally almost gone off the idea of ordinary bread and don't really want it any more. May be wheat itself or may be gluten, in which case it is other grains as well. Still experimenting. And I'm not finding that eating carbs is doing any good anyway - BGs up and more and more insulin needed to try to control it. So maybe low carb and be very careful which flours to use is the way. Also unfortunately, the oat flour and almond flour in your recipe won't suit my oddness. I might take your recipe and see if I can substitute for those and see where I get. Thanks again.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and thanks for the potato fibre info @ziggy_w I hadn’t noticed the omission either but it made me laugh when @Antje77 mentioned it. Your cupboard looks like a very good low carb store.
Today I had lunch of Parma ham, 1/2 avocado and a slaw style salad of courgette, h/m Mayo and a dollop of hot sauce. DGF cake to follow.
Dinner was steak with buttery, garlicky spring greens and a couple of glasses red wine.
@Goonergal I’m indebted to you once again for flagging up the reverse sear method of cooking steak. It was fab. I think I prefer it to sous vide steak, the fat renders better. I got the butcher to cut a couple of 1.5-2” slices off a sirloin joint for this. No idea what they weighed but they were huge, and yes, I happily ate this whole plateful
IMG_1615657994.836548.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner was steak with buttery, garlicky spring greens and a couple of glasses red wine. @Goonergal I’m indebted to you once again for flagging up the reverse sear method of cooking steak. It was fab. I think I prefer it to sous vide steak, the fat renders better. I got the butcher to cut a couple of 1.5-2” slices off a sirloin joint for this. No idea what they weighed but they were huge, and yes, I happily ate this whole platefulView attachment 48030

That steak looks amazing! Reverse seat works so well for thick steaks.

It was steak here today, too. Cooked with a more traditional sear, but still delicious.

7B543F8F-A2A3-410B-8B93-F2E793F5852C.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Made some more low carb rolls today - improve every time - the more you try something the better it gets with tweaks.
Breakfast lc hm roll with one lc sausage
Lunch 6 prawns with squeeze lemon juice and two small slices of ham followed by 2 hm lc truffles
Mid pm taste of new hm lc roll just out of oven
Dinner hm chicken curry with rest of the freshly baked LC hm roll and two gin and sodas followed by sf jelly with yoghurt.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - greek yoghurt with mixed berries on top

Lunch - 1 slc hot cross bun toasted with lots of butter on top. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Butter chicken with cauliflower rice. Glass of pepsi max

@maglil55 Received my SLC order today - I ordered Thursday night for next day by DPD - just as well as dates on bread are 20/3 so if I had gone with Royal Mail I would have been lucky to have got them a while before then. Tried the hot cross buns this time too - they are really nice and I had to stop myself having more than 1 with my cuppa. Have also got their porridge so will try it some time - it is dated to 2022 so I have a while. I will find out soon if things are still waiting a while at Peterborough as I have ordered DGF goodies last night so I wonder when I will receive this order via Royal Mail ... unfortunately there is no other choice for delivery

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner our usual Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - greek yoghurt with mixed berries on top

Lunch - 1 slc hot cross bun toasted with lots of butter on top. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Butter chicken with cauliflower rice. Glass of pepsi max

@maglil55 Received my SLC order today - I ordered Thursday night for next day by DPD - just as well as dates on bread are 20/3 so if I had gone with Royal Mail I would have been lucky to have got them a while before then. Tried the hot cross buns this time too - they are really nice and I had to stop myself having more than 1 with my cuppa. Have also got their porridge so will try it some time - it is dated to 2022 so I have a while. I will find out soon if things are still waiting a while at Peterborough as I have ordered DGF goodies last night so I wonder when I will receive this order via Royal Mail ... unfortunately there is no other choice for delivery

I’ve missed something here - do SLC make Hot Cross Buns?? My absolute favourite. This has really cheered me up.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve missed something here - do SLC make Hot Cross Buns?? My absolute favourite. This has really cheered me up.
Yes they do and they are delicious - I think they are possibly just a seasonal thing - they cost around £3.39 for 4 - so a tad expensive but so is all of their stuff but sooo worth it. Porridge too seems to be a new addition to their foods - I have bought a pack but not tried it yet ... yeah cheered me up too along with the new Spring Blondies from DGF ...

Reactions: DJC3