What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
L: 1 chicken thigh and sort of waffle, didn't have enough mozzerella or almond so mixed what I had with 2 eggs. Very filling.
D: salmon and broccoli bake. As am trying out libre I topped it with potato slices and loads of cheese. Very tasty

Mid afternoon made some peanut bitter cookies to freeze as my "treat if I needed it" stash, but not impressed. Its a Caldesi recipe that uses a date pureed with water as the sweetener but it doesn't come through in the finished product. I only made half the amount and am glad thats all. Might be nicer with cream or yoghurt.
Peanut butter cookies is one of these things that looks so nice I feel I should like them but I just can't! Last batch I made went to DIL.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am using the free trial libre to test a wider range of foods. Tonight it didn't like either the one small boiled potato or the eighth of my hubbys pear frangipane tart I tried. :(
Been there, done it......

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch - 2 slices of SLC bread with Boursin, half a matthesons sausage.

Dinner - was supposed to be a gammon joint from the butchers with cauliflower cheese, cabbage and a corn on the cob. Gammon was so salty it was inedible, so might need to have something else later if I’m hungry after my veggie dinner.

2 Squares of Green and Blacks and a cuppa.

The corn hasn’t spiked me which is great. Haven’t been bold enough to try a tottie yet!
I can manage 1/2 a cob with butter on it but not a full one.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I noticed you had made it to Iceland. Did you find the broccoli/cauliflower things? ....

Yes I made it to Iceland! Town is like a ghost town, it was a bit shabby before but now with so many shops closed down it was really depressing.
Still enjoyed the wild shrimp thing but the broccoli soufflé things looked like 7.9 g carbs each. That seems quite a lot for a small side dish. With a huge amount of willpower I put it back

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday bed 7.6 FBG 7.3. A bit of running about. Took grandson's friend (who has broken his ankle) to grandson's so they could play and, inbetween headed for shopping. Visit to butched acquired more tripe hence why a large pot of Italian tripe is on the go today (Sunday). I had too much for the IP. First time I wished I had the 8 ltr or 2 of them. Note to self....don't tell Hubby who has now bought 2 bottle openers (in case one breaks) and a waiter's friend for wine (because he likes them). The electric spiraliser works well though.
B. TAG and 2 8foods crackers with whipped cheese. Need to buy more.
L. Nothing too busy driving here there and everywhere.
D. A peppered pork steak, one of the Iceland broccoli/cauliflower souffle things and mushrooms. A DGF coffee and walnut and a few cherries.

@Antje77 - I'm sure she'll settle. The first new piggie addition to the herd was because her sisters were bullying her. Grandson has integrated her and the babies into the herd. As someone said, it's about her well being but you still miss them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some nice food today.
I had one of the local dressed crabs delivered this week, on a SLC. roll for lunch.
Dinner was slow cooker brisket. Cooked 9 hr in a bed of onions after seasoning and coating in Dijon mustard. Cauli mash and broccoli with it. Few glasses of wine. A lovely day all in all.
@maglil55 your hubby sounds a bit like mine; buying 2 bottle openers in case one breaks made me laugh.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday bed 6.3 FBG 6. @DJC3 - I find that so long as I only have one of the broccoli/cauliflower things (and I only need one as they are very filling) it has little effect on me. @Antje77 - meant to say the meatza looks excellent. Cold has returned regrettably.
B. TAG and SLC toast with mashed up egg.
L. Nothing - too many things cooking.
D. Usual campari and soda. The Hairy Bikers feather blade recipe became the recipe for the steak (and kidney) for the steak pie. The slow cooking gets the meat so tender. I had it minus the pastry and with one of the souffle things and brussel sprouts. Now on icy water to hopefully stop sneezing.

Line of Duty back tonight!

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braised_feather_blade_49306

Edited to add the link for the recipe I used for the steak and kidney. Only difference is I cut up the feather blade and added kidney.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: linseed porridge made with almond milk, cinnamon and a teaspoon of maple syrup. Was OK, just! Warm and comforting but a bit gloopy and bland

L: Blackstick blue and old gouda with salad

D: roast chicken, sprouts, carrots and roasted pepper. Then, testing libre2, a pudding of plum crumble. Had just 1 and a half plums with a topping of ground almonds and seeds and oats with melted butter, served with cream. Half a tablespoon of stevia among the total 8 servings but , of course, its sent my bg up. Seems to peek at 8.3 just waiting to see how long before it goes down.

A very kind neighbour has just popped round with 2 bars of low sugar milk chocolate for me. Very kind of her but it has malitol in which cause me digestive issues, and might spark cravings. Its not easy trying to be strict lc is it?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/braised_feather_blade_49306
Edited to add the link for the recipe I used for the steak and kidney. Only difference is I cut up the feather blade and added kidney.
Clicked the link out of curiosity as to what a feather blade was and got an unexpected revelation instead :).
For ages I've been referring to the thick concentrated tomato paste as 'thick concentrated tomato paste' whenever I used it in a recipe and told about it in English.
Turns out it's called tomato purée. In Dutch it's called tomatenpuree. Sometimes life is much less complicated than you think :facepalm:.

Everyone, please feel free to help me out whenever you see me struggling with the proper English words for something, I really do appreciate it!

Dinner today was the same tasty meal as yesterday in a smaller portion with an added tuna melt thing :hungry:
I've also made a new batch of chocolate and nuts things to send to my aunt tomorrow and to eat myself. Very spicy this time with a strong cloves and ginger smell and a nice chilli kick, which makes it almost a savoury treat instead of a sweet one. I love it!

Reactions: Ceppo and maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and cheese omelette, tomatos for breakfast, bnanama prawn and salad low carb wraps for lunch, grilled fish fillets, green veggies. Fish had been rubbed in some of Nando's peri peri dry marinade rub that someone mentioned in this thread.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
so missed a few posts
Thursday breakfast
eggs scrambled, bacon a mushroom tomatoes sourdough toast total cabs around 36.7 black coffee

lunch
black tea left over chicken wing and t-bone steak some Greek yoghurt with some pistachio and strawberries

Friday Breakfast
fried eggs scrambled, bacon baked beans that i found that has no sugar but sweetened with stevia a slice of sourdough toast total cabs around 70 black coffee
SAT left over chicken was dinner but can't remember the rest of the day
sun
brunch bacon fried eggs on sourdough
dinner made some tabbouleh and served with some iceberg lettuce leaves and some Lebanese bread

having crazy weather here in NSW lots of areas have been flooded and some people have lost homes luckily where I live although lots of flooding not as bad as other areas in NSW but was stranded and stayed home all weekend as all exits to go anywhere was flooded so couldn't go shopping for breakfast supplies and I run out of eggs :( sad face LOL

breakfast so this morning Monday found some oats so cooked on stove with milk and butter and 2 black coffee.
luckily roads where opened so brought able to go shopping so got some eggs and bacon some salami, ham, fresh cream and cheese

blood sugar dropped down to 4.3 and hadn't eaten since breakfast around 11am it was around 6pm and wasn't hungry and dinner wasn't for another hour or so so ate a a few spoons of leftover tabbouleh with lettuce until dinner time whilst my dinner of vegetable soup was being made.

dinner made some vegetable soup left over vegies and chicken stock but could only sip on the soup and threw the vegetables out it had to much capsicum in it and couldn't tolerate the vegetables but the stock was good so then made a shake using protein powder some strawberries, blackberries cold water ice and spoonful of yoghurt blitzed in my nutribullet, I have left over soup in fridge so might blitz it tomorrow see if I can tolerate it better.

Reactions: maglil55

Max68

Hi all, hope you are all well. Been struggling with low carb recently hence not coming on here so much but generally doing ok with main meals and before Saturday, where I bought a roasted chicken from Sainsbury and had that with chips, I hadn't had potatoes for over a month and no pasta, rice or pastry for longer. Felt guilty so Sunday's dinner was three boiled eggs and two small slices of lower carb toast with the remainder of the chicken for lunch but I've accepted that the odd bag of crisps or couple of Riesen dark chocolate toffees or a few black grapes will always be my vice. However will stick to the regime for meals and tonight the favourite firecracker wings will be making an appearance again after two smoked mackerel fillets and slice of low carb bread for lunch. Still walking two miles a day and am "just" above the 12 stone mark. If I can get under it I'll be under 12 stone for first time in 20 odd years so must be doing something right!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting some unexpected readings from my libe trial so still experimenting
B: leftover plum crumble (lc topping) with yoghurt and extra seeds
Bg was OK, Rose just the 2
L: avocado and 50g cheese
Midafternoon 4 sqs 90% Godiva. That chocolate is dangerous as cant seem to stop, but no rise to bg
D: a red pepper stuffed with left over carrots and sprouts (total about 50g weight) , chicken, topped with cheese and 1 teaspoon salsa. Pud of 2 teaspoons extra thick cream with 2 sqa 100% mint choc
Yet something in that sent me straight up to 9, from 5., and it seems to be staying up
I had added rice to the boys peppers but had none on mine.

Hating this diabetes malarkey again. My body hasn't read the books as to what it is supposed to do

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
: a red pepper stuffed with left over carrots

I had to give up red peppers fairly early on (didn’t try to keep carrots) as I found them way too sweet, and they did cause spikes.

You may also be getting delayed reactions from the choc.

Reactions: MrsA2

Onlinecaroline

Missed a few days so catching myself up!

Saturday - stressful morning collecting the dog from the hospital after her op so ended up on a 20hr fast. Had a very late lunch or 2 slices of SLC bread with butter and corn beef and 2 Babybel

Dinner - Indian take away of garlic chicken tikka, chaat tandoori wings and saag paneer

Some Montezuma peppermint and a cuppa.

Sunday
Lunch - Eggs Benedict on an SLC roll, with homemade hollandaise sauce and a few slices of halloumi

Dinner - joint of sirloin beef with mushrooms, creamed cabbage and mashed cauliflower, served with packet peppercorn sauce which was made with almond milk.

Today
Lunch - left over creamed cabbage with half a matthesons sausage, 2 babybel and a sugar free jelly

Dinner - H/m butter chicken curry, BareNaked rice and a poppadum. A Fatt Bar butter cookie and 2 squares of Black Forest Montezuma.

Sugars have been between 4-5 all day except FBG has been between 5.7 and 6.7. So not too bad.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Lamb's liver, raw garlic and natural yoghurt with a squeeze of lime.

Morning tea: cup of tea, 1/2 small banana with shaved pecan nuts, cinnamon and 2 eggs fried in butter as a low carb pancake and served with butter.

Snack: small piece of sourdough rye with butter & homemade plum jam from our trees (fresh out of the oven, couldn't resist but did notice my energy levels fall afterwards), with a cup of dandelion root tea with cream.

Late lunch: Slow cooked osso bucco (shin beef) with spinach and a squeeze of lime.

Late afternoon snack: handful of macadamia and hazelnuts, 1/2 sq dark chocolate, 1/2 dried apricot, goat's cheese, rooibos tea.

Geez, I really don't stop eating, do I? Sometimes you just have to write it all down to realise how often you are putting something in your mouth, right?

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Saturday - stressful morning collecting the dog from the hospital after her op
How is she doing? I wish her a speedy recovery!

Same meal as yesterday, except I added an extra egg to the tuna melt batter.
I had already added some chopped mushrooms yesterday, and the end result was very flat. So I figured the mushrooms had sucked up most of the egg, preventing it from rising. Today's result is very fluffy again!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages and eggs, tomatoes for breakfast.
Low carb wrap with cold meat, salad and the rest of the goat cheese. for lunch
Rib fillet steak done on the griddler, veggies, while the meat was having a rest, griddled a packet of chilli haloumi cheese sliced up into strips for dinner.

I had a taste of the forbidden fruit again, a soupcon (soup spoon more like) of mango sorbet. I wish I was not T2 at times so I could pig out on this stuff. :arghh: