What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

debrasue

Diagnosed T2 earlier this week, resisting meds at this stage. Not yet seen dietician/nurse. Started LC diet this week and stuck to around 90-120g of carbs per day.
Today: spinach omelette for breakfast, strawberries; tinned salmon salad for lunch, chia & flax seeds, apple and kiwi fruit; roast chicken, cauliflower, green beans, peas, cabbage and gravy for dinner.
It's just dawned on me that I have a sweet taste in the back of my mouth, which I have been unconsciously swigging water for the past couple of hours to get rid of, and in my usual calm, collected manner I am panicking about ketoacidosis and diabetic comas.
Should I calm down, or grab a nightie and head off to A&E ? Any advice would be welcomed!

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Calm down don't panic. Do you have a meter? Have you tested your blood?

D

debrasue

Calm down don't panic. Do you have a meter? Have you tested your blood?
Nope, I don't have one yet - I've ordered it through Type2Testing.com but it won't be here until the middle of next week, probably. I feel a bit like Lance Corporal Jones (Dad's Army) - "Don't panic!! Don't panic!!"
:-(

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed T2 earlier this week, resisting meds at this stage. Not yet seen dietician/nurse. Started LC diet this week and stuck to around 90-120g of carbs per day.
Today: spinach omelette for breakfast, strawberries; tinned salmon salad for lunch, chia & flax seeds, apple and kiwi fruit; roast chicken, cauliflower, green beans, peas, cabbage and gravy for dinner.
It's just dawned on me that I have a sweet taste in the back of my mouth, which I have been unconsciously swigging water for the past couple of hours to get rid of, and in my usual calm, collected manner I am panicking about ketoacidosis and diabetic comas.
Should I calm down, or grab a nightie and head off to A&E ? Any advice would be welcomed!
If you have a ketones meter then test but its very rear to get it. I had it at New year but I'm on insulin and wasn't taking enough. Also you would feel very ill, I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't breathe properly, pain in tummy and back, being sick. Couldn't eat or drink even water. So no I wouldn't panic.

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

If you have a ketones meter then test but its very rear to get it. I had it at New year but I'm on insulin and wasn't taking enough. Also you would feel very ill, I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't breathe properly, pain in tummy and back, being sick. Couldn't eat or drink even water. So no I wouldn't panic.
Ahhh, thanks SO much for that! No, other than the yucky taste and some chronic fat feet and ankles this afternoon, I feel fine - better than I have done for a while, in fact. You've put my mind at rest - this is a pretty steep learning curve for me! I'm sorry to hear you've been poorly, though, and I hope things are better now...

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh, thanks SO much for that! No, other than the yucky taste and some chronic fat feet and ankles this afternoon, I feel fine - better than I have done for a while, in fact. You've put my mind at rest - this is a pretty steep learning curve for me! I'm sorry to hear you've been poorly, though, and I hope things are better now...
Aww that's ok, we all try to help each other on here. I get swollen feet and ankles too, try raising your feet on some pillows or cushions, I try and do it even in bed. I'm much better from the dka thank you, got pancreatitis at the moment though. I find the internet a wonderful tool at helping find things out, but any questions put on here and I'm sure someone will have some advice for you. Well done on starting th LCD :)

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has a sad face from this mornings fbs 10.0 Im blaming the sausages although I have eaten them before without the spike.
Todays meal were B cheese omelet L pepperoni and carrot sticks d Lettuce Manchego cheese celery tomatoes

Reactions: 9 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I've made your spinach bread before - very nice - how well does it freeze? That soup sounds gorgeous. Do you use a recipe or is it an experiment?
I'll let you know how the bread freezes - I haven't tried it before!

The soup is simple - just chop up a head of broccoli and boil it to death (I add a stock cube to the water). Then add as much or as little Stilton as you like and blitz the whole lot with a stick blender. Finally, let it simmer until it thickens up. Makes 3 or 4 decent sized portions. Doddle.

Reactions: 8 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday

B - Mashed avocado on half a Lidl roll.
With it being mothers day, I cooked a long Asian lunch for my in-laws..
Veggie tempura, Korean spiced chicken wings ( from Tesco - I cheated), steak in black bean sauce, chicken with ginger, chilli, coriander, lemongrass and red peppers, crispy onions. Served with noodles and garlic cauliflower rice
Plenty of low carb in there for me, and plenty of carbs for everyone else!

S - a couple of Budweisers.

Reactions: 12 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

The soup is simple - just chop up a head of broccoli and boil it to death (I add a stock cube to the water). Then add as much or as little Stilton as you like and blitz the whole lot with a stick blender. Finally, let it simmer until it thickens up. Makes 3 or 4 decent sized portions. Doddle.
Thanks - I'll definitely try that soup.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
B - Chicken & celery sticks
L- Sauerkraut and some cheddar cheese
D - Mexican cabbage and chicken.
S - Too much high carb stuff to list, I paid for it this morning :-(

Reactions: 10 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Breakfast this morning:
GrillingBrekkySM_zps0up12cob.jpg

BreakfastMar7thSM_zps7pfxtkjy.jpg

Reactions: 10 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,

Spinach bread? is there a recipe for that?

Reactions: 7 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@GeoffersTaylor - I'll be making that broccoli & stilton soup tomorrow (when I've got a bit more fridge space to store it!)

Day 2 of Week 1 of 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet - FBG 7.1 :(

Breakfast: Lidl Turkish Yoghurt with a teaspoon of Monin sugar free syrup (caramel). Tetley Redbush with vanilla tea

Lunch: Same as yesterday - veg. stirfry with ginger, garlic and green chilli, the other half packet of the zero carb noodles. I know other people aren't too keen on them but rinsed thoroughly and eaten with something very flavourful they are filling and... neutral. Don't taste of anything really.

Dinner: Ox Cheek and red wine casserole, cauliflower, celeriac and roasted garlic mash and kale.

Drinks: Black decaff coffee with a teaspoon of sugar free syrup, loads of water, diet tonic (the lime twist one).

Just back from the Dr who tells me I am an 'anomaly' because my BP has gone up (quite a lot) while my weight is going down. Great. I think he thought I was telling fibs so he looked up my previous records for the last couple of annual reviews and was a bit gobsmacked. Hah!!!!! :eek:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meant to say.... the Dr I saw was the miserable idiot who has always been totally against low carbing. Except this time he asked me questions.... I can only think that there was been some kind of instruction from higher up the food chain about either low carbing specifically or being more supportive of patients in general. He has NEVER asked about it before, always just given me lectures about following the 'course of action which is generally accepted as being most suitable for diabetics'. I wonder what has changed.

Reactions: 9 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@GeoffersTaylor - I'll be making that broccoli & stilton soup tomorrow (when I've got a bit more fridge space to store it!)

Day 2 of Week 1 of 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet - FBG 7.1 :(

Breakfast: Lidl Turkish Yoghurt with a teaspoon of Monin sugar free syrup (caramel). Tetley Redbush with vanilla tea

Lunch: Same as yesterday - veg. stirfry with ginger, garlic and green chilli, the other half packet of the zero carb noodles. I know other people aren't too keen on them but rinsed thoroughly and eaten with something very flavourful they are filling and... neutral. Don't taste of anything really.

Dinner: Ox Cheek and red wine casserole, cauliflower, celeriac and roasted garlic mash and kale.

Drinks: Black decaff coffee with a teaspoon of sugar free syrup, loads of water, diet tonic (the lime twist one).

Just back from the Dr who tells me I am an 'anomaly' because my BP has gone up (quite a lot) while my weight is going down. Great. I think he thought I was telling fibs so he looked up my previous records for the last couple of annual reviews and was a bit gobsmacked. Hah!!!!! :eek:
I found the no carb pasta to be chewy and tasteless as nothing stuck to them. I'd still buy them as a cupboard filler thou. Very filling.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
B- 1/4 of protein cob, fried egg, tomato and mushrooms
No lunch...I was feeling so full long time
D- Roast chicken, broccoli, butter and drop of gravy Pud; Greek yogurt and berry sauce, coffee and one square of 'black' bitter chocolate....OOOOOOOh...heaven! :D

Reactions: 8 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody
B. Raspberries and cream
L. Coyo yoghurt . 20g cheddar
D. Steak cooked with onions and mushrooms in oven with gravy, carrots, cauliflower and sprout with celeriac roasts.

Reactions: 11 people