What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yoghurt, blueberries/raspberries, linseed mix. Cup of tea.
L: 1/2 small tin of mackerel (in sunflower oil), mashed up with 4-bean salad. Added lemon juice, black pepper. Small pear.
D: Homemade chicken and veg soup (with kale, celery, sweetcorn, carrot, cannellini beans, black-eyed beans and anything else that was in the cupboard) but without the noodles, though the rest of the tribe felt no guilt about slurping them up while I watched enviously. Small tangerine. 1 square MoserRoth chocolate (75% cocoa solids)
S: None, just 2 coffees and 2 Earl Grey tea in work.

Have been doing this for 5 weeks now (along with a 2-mile walk every lunchtime after eating, 10-15 miles over the weekends, and 15 mins strengthening exercises each morning - press-ups, planks, crunches and bicep curls with mini-weights) and really feel the difference. Sleeping better than I've ever done, and have a lot more energy. From tomorrow I'll also be taking a weekly yoga class. Several colleagues in work have noticed the difference re loss of weight and general wellbeing, and have asked me what I'm doing. Three of them have subsequently begun to follow low-carb options (I advised them to read the Michael Mosley book first)

Reactions: 9 people

Russetfox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fresh tomatoes :(
B Alpro coconut, strawberries and pumpkin seeds, coffee and cream
L Courgette,cabbage,mushrooms,small bit of bacon in cheese sauce
D Beef stew and a protein roll

Reactions: 8 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Fried Egg, 3 Chipolatas on a Triangle

L: Smoked Mackerel, Mayo & Celery

D: Chicken Breast stuffed with Goats Cheese, Wrapped in Parma Ham with Cabbage, Broccoli & Cauliflower

Reactions: 11 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast this morning:
BreakfastMar7thSM_zps7pfxtkjy.jpg
Is that a piece of Bread I spy on that plate at the top? Giggles. Love breakfast plate.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Naughty Day - giggles
B - Nothing til 12.00
L - Small fish and chips (26)
D- Spinach and sprouts with cream cheese - turned out I really like sprouts covered in cream cheese cooked in the microwave for 3.5 minutes. Considering I dont like sprouts this was a revelation. Lightly cooked is the way for me wonder what raw sprout is like.

Reactions: 7 people
D

debrasue

Nope, I don't have one yet - I've ordered it through Type2Testing.com but it won't be here until the middle of next week, probably. I feel a bit like Lance Corporal Jones (Dad's Army) - "Don't panic!! Don't panic!!"
:-(
Back on track today and feeling chirpy - not least because of the lovely welcome on this site. It feels very nurturing during what is quite a scary experience in the beginning, and I am LOVING the hugs - thank you, everyone! :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Today Morning BG reading 6.1
B 3 slices of smoked bacon / 1 slice of burgen bread / melon
L 1 tin mackeral fillets in tomato sauce / 3 crackerbread with strong cheddar spreadable cheese 1 pear
S 1 nectarine
D Griddled pork steak with mushrooms / broccoli / fresh green beans [ tossed in butter ]
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 5.3 So happy with this.

Reactions: 3 people
D

debrasue

Meant to say.... the Dr I saw was the miserable idiot who has always been totally against low carbing. Except this time he asked me questions.... I can only think that there was been some kind of instruction from higher up the food chain about either low carbing specifically or being more supportive of patients in general. He has NEVER asked about it before, always just given me lectures about following the 'course of action which is generally accepted as being most suitable for diabetics'. I wonder what has changed.
What IS it with GPs?? I was diagnosed T2 last week (hpA1c 63, apparently) and in the same breath my GP said he was prescribing Metformin. Being rather anti-meds if there might be a more natural alternative, I asked for the weekend to think about it and told him today that I'd like to try the LC diet first, and then perhaps we could review it at 3 months. Boy, was he grumpy!! I would have thought he'd be pleased to be saving the NHS a bit of money, but he gave me the same line that you quote. I felt like a naughty toddler who'd just been told off! :-(

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday's efforts for me...
B - Bacon & Mayo
D - A whole Mattessons smoked pork sausage
S - coffee & cream

Not much,but I wasn't hungry

Reactions: 13 people

EddyG69_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Moaning old gits, well moaners in general
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Dry cured bacon,chipolata sausage, chopped tomatoes, dry fried egg and one thin slice black pudding. All grilled except obviously the egg and the sausage is from local butchers so very little bread, then followed up by a portion of grapes

Reactions: 6 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all,

Yesterday was a very busy day:
B: "fromage blanc" with berries
L: skipped
a few pork scratchings in the afternoon (the ones I find here are very fatty)
D: raclette (cheese, bacon, salami, chorizo), one mandarin orange

Edit: oh, and I've already got through 60 test strips

Reactions: 10 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Naughty Day - giggles
B - Nothing til 12.00
L - Small fish and chips (26)
D- Spinach and sprouts with cream cheese - turned out I really like sprouts covered in cream cheese cooked in the microwave for 3.5 minutes. Considering I dont like sprouts this was a revelation. Lightly cooked is the way for me wonder what raw sprout is like.
Sounds yummy - and I find raw sprouts delicious! And quite a process to eat - they're really good eaten one leaf at a time - very good for 'mindless' snackers like me as you really have to work!

Reactions: 6 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Yesterday was a very busy day:
B: "fromage blanc" with berries
L: skipped
a few pork scratchings in the afternoon (the ones I find here are very fatty)
D: raclette (cheese, bacon, salami, chorizo), one mandarin orange

Edit: oh, and I've already got through 60 test strips
Had to check the word raclette - its basically a hotplate of food some times served with a fondue pot

Reactions: 4 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: cup of tea
L: celery, cream cheese, boiled eggs
D: I've just bung a load of stuff in slow cooker to make a chunky soup, lentils, cabbage, broccoli, beans, plum tomatoes, spinach, courgette, chicken, stock, oregano. Hopefully it tastes nice.
S: water, actimel drink, kiwi, almonds.

Reactions: 11 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Had to check the word raclette - its basically a hotplate of food some times served with a fondue pot

We have a little round machine where you can cook meat (bacon and stuff) on top and melt cheese in little pans underneath (on the coffee table in front of the telly). A few bits of melted cheese and I'm full :) The accompanying bread and potatoes are probably off limits for many of us, but there's always things like salad, pickled gerkins, etc.

Reactions: 2 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: cup of tea
L: celery, cream cheese, boiled eggs
D: I've just bung a load of stuff in slow cooker to make a chunky soup, lentils, cabbage, broccoli, beans, plum tomatoes, spinach, courgette, chicken, stock, oregano. Hopefully it tastes nice.
S: water, actimel drink, kiwi, almonds.
Green soup is one I watch sometimes they come out bitter. Fingers crossed it doesnt but if it does dollop of cream/yoghurt/sourcream etc should correct it.

Reactions: 3 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Green soup is one I watch sometimes they come out bitter. Fingers crossed it doesnt but if it does dollop of cream/yoghurt/sourcream etc should correct it.
Good job I've got cream and yoghurt in the fridge. Thanks :)

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sounds yummy!