What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
b: ff greek with seeds and 3 strawberries
L: chicken leg with green salad. 2 lc millionaires bites I made yesterday
D: frittata with asparagus, leeks broccoli, chorizo and a slaw made from raw leeks with plain yoghurt, mayo and mustard

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Baked beans on low carb toast for a non bulky breakfast, which made a change of tastes and plenty of fibrous roughage.
Two keto choc mint crunch protein bars for lunch.
Grilled red emperor fillet, green veggies for dinner.

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2x CWC
Raspberries and ff Greek yoghurt
Not a very successful breakfast as I got really hungry and had several biscuits with my coffee mid morning, although the work digging the last vegetable bed might have had something to do with that. I was determined to finish it. Small part of the bed left fallow, it's too late to plant some crops so they will have to wait for Autumn sowing.
Lunch mixed salad, ham and cheese, one slice of toast. (12g carbs) One apricot, squash and tea.
Several drinks in the afternoon.
Glass of wine.
Dinner moussaka, roasted cauliflower, carrots and broccoli. Another glass of rosé. Coffee with cream and far too much chocolate.
Lemon tea as usual before bed.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Grabbed a slice of corned beef before rushing out to the town with Neil. He did the shopping while I waited in the car outside the supermarket. Then we went to the fish shop. It was a bit of a disappointment. First there were only 2 people allowed in the shop at a time and it was VERY COLD waiting in the queue outside (right on the harbour and a very cold wind blowing off the water). Once inside there were no shellfish at all despite the shop being called Islander Shellfish but I did pick up a pack of proper anchovies in oil (not the fillets you get in tins, but proper whole fish) a skate wing and a piece of properly smoked haddock as well as a piece of fresh salmon.

Apart from the little bit of corned beef, nothing eaten so far but I will be making a brunch of streaky bacon and fried eggs.

2nd meal will be the skate wing fried in butter with some capers and maybe a tomato salad to go with it.

I'll need to use the salmon tomorrow while it is still fairly fresh but the smoked haddock will keep, as will the anchovies - having all sorts of ideas about how to use them. Feeling inventive.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got taken out for a pub lunch today.
Starter of prawn and crayfish cocktail
Then spicy burger with spicy cheese. Asked then to hold the bun and chips. Waitress suggested extra avocado so I said yes.
But when bill came they still charged full whack for the main AND extra for the avocado. Felt I couldn't complain as was being paid for.
Did steal 4 of hubbys whitebait that came fried in breadcrumbs and about 6 of his chips

Drank sparkling water with lemon

Was very filling so will try for OMAD today

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got taken out for a pub lunch today.
Starter of prawn and crayfish cocktail
Then spicy burger with spicy cheese. Asked then to hold the bun and chips. Waitress suggested extra avocado so I said yes.
But when bill came they still charged full whack for the main AND extra for the avocado. Felt I couldn't complain as was being paid for.
Did steal 4 of hubbys whitebait that came fried in breadcrumbs and about 6 of his chips

Drank sparkling water with lemon

Was very filling so will try for OMAD today

Mmm! Whitebait. Lucky hubby.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb sorry about the lack of shellfish but the rest of your catch of the day is sure to be magnificent. I must get skate wing again I haven’t had it for ages.
@SlimLizzy I forgot to say I’m glad you got good advice re the hoglet the other day.
I’ve decided to try upping the protein again a la PE diet. I think I was eating too much fat with it last time.
B- 2 slices Edam rolled up round 2 slices prosciutto
L- tuna salad with zoodles, Hb egg, and 1/2 avocado
D- sirloin steak with mushrooms, spinach and a couple of cherry tomatoes all sautéed in garlic butter.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That was the first skate wing I've had in years. It was very tasty. This was always my father's favourite fish. He liked it in black butter and without the capers, but I prefer the butter to remain unburnt and with capers. It was as good as I remember. Even your yummy sounding sirloin steak etc, @DJC3, doesn't put it in the shade, although it normally would. Trouble is, I could have eaten another wing.

Salmon for breakfast tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken supreme with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm miles behind so will catch up on posts later.
Sunday 6 June - bed 5.9 FBG 6.4
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo
L. Nothing - had boys at swimming lessons. Eldest finally jn for full lesson again.
D. Usual campari and soda. Few prawns with Marie Rose, 1/2 avocado, santini tomatoes. Baked ham with a Lakanto monk fruit maple glaze, a broccoli/cauliflower souffle thing, mini cob and spinach. Few cherries.

Monday 7 June - bed 5.7 FBG 5.8

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with coronation chicken.
L. Nothing - back on afternoon home schooling.Grandson has quite calmly still refused to go back in the afternoon because there's too much noise and he gets more work done with me.
D. Leftover ham from yesterday with a salad of lettuce, avocado, santini tomatoes, mozzarella and Wensleydale with cranberries. Grenade Ice cream bar.

Reactions: Annb and Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday 8 June bed 6.2 FBG 6.5

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with coronation chicken..
L. Nothing
D. Rotisserie chicken with mini cob and broccoli/cauliflower souffle thing. Grenade Ice cream bar.

Wednesday 9 June - bed 5.6 FBG 5.7.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.
L. Toasted not cross bun from SLC With butter.
D. Prawns, smoked salmon and a salad of avocado, tomato, mozzarella, coleslaw and Polish veggie salad. DGF raspberry brownie.

Thursday 10 June bed 5.9 FBG 6.3

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
D. Rest of the deli chicken with a salad of avocado, tomato, burrata. DGF raspberry brownie with raspberries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. You’re right I could figure most of it out ( feeling chuffed!) I’m not sure I’d trust myself with a bottle of Amaretto though. Only a tiny drop in the ice cream maybe but I’d end up having a little snifter or two in the evenings as well.
You'd probably enjoy affogato. Very frozen ball of a LC vanilla ice cream (put the balls in the freezer to get them really solid). When serving pop in a glass dish and top with a freshly made espresso. Give it a little stir to soften the ice cream. I used to like a tia Maria in it but a dash of brandy works just as well.

Sarahjane41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Rude people
Busibodies
Evening all

B I had 3x egg muffins for brunch = eggs ham peppers tomato in deep muffin tin baked 20 mins

L few strawberries fir a bit of sweetness

D bbq beef I made in slow cooker yesterday, just beef pieces, Mediterranean veg, tin Tom's and bbq seasoning, put handful of rice in just before the end so very low carb as its 3 meals worth

S had an alpine light cereal bar after I swam 26 lengths tonight,

Woke bloods at 6.4

Just done them now 6.6 very pleased with that, I'm on the trulicity weekly injections xxx

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 11 June bed 5.3 FBG 5.7.

A day of madness and not a lot of food. What there was happened to be a mish mash of oddities! Usual school run and it's Friday half day plus my car is going in for a service. Got boys to school then headed up through the Edinburgh traffic to get car in. Got it all booked in, into courtesy car and back home. One big problem! I couldn't get the key out of the ignition! I've driven many, many cars and never have I had this problem. I had to phone Hubby to come and get in the car so he could sit in it while I picked up grandson from school. Dropped Hubby off again while grandson came with me to the garage (should add neither Hubby nor son could remove the key either), Back to garage and Yes, they removed it straight away!! I knew the issue. When you turned the key from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock the steering locked and no amount of wiggle would free it. The trick was to push the key in THEN continue to turn anticlockwise to 9 o'clock. Headed back home until my car was ready to be picked up.

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Nothing for obvious reasons!
D. Since there was a Sainsbury's across from the garage I did my shopping before heading home again. Food consisted of a Matteson smoked sausage, couple of chicken and apricot kofta, sugar free strawberry jelly with raspberries, DGF coconut slice and a sugar free Vimto with loads of ice. Not all at the same time I hasten to add.

Told you it was a collection of oddities! Welcome back @SlimLizzy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages and my usual cheese omelette, button mushrooms for breakfast.
Not much for lunch, a small container of sugar free lemon / lime jelly with a soup spoon full of mango sorbet on it. Settled my insides down a bit.
Lamb bbq chops, green veggies, gravy for dinner.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was the first skate wing I've had in years. It was very tasty. This was always my father's favourite fish. He liked it in black butter and without the capers, but I prefer the butter to remain unburnt and with capers. It was as good as I remember. Even your yummy sounding sirloin steak etc, @DJC3, doesn't put it in the shade, although it normally would. Trouble is, I could have eaten another wing.

Salmon for breakfast tomorrow.

I used to make it with black butter and capers too - was that a Delia recipe I wonder? I have half a jar of capers cluttering up my fridge so I’m now on a mission to find skate wings in the next few days. Thanks for reminding me about it.
Hope you enjoy your salmon breakfast it sounds wonderfully decadent.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd probably enjoy affogato. Very frozen ball of a LC vanilla ice cream (put the balls in the freezer to get them really solid). When serving pop in a glass dish and top with a freshly made espresso. Give it a little stir to soften the ice cream. I used to like a tia Maria in it but a dash of brandy works just as well.

Yes!!! I used to love it. It was always my pudding of choice at the local Italian restaurant where we used to live. I’ve never made it myself and I don’t think I’d trust myself these days - a little would very soon turn into a lot :(

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
[QUOTE="DJC3, post: 2411811,
@SlimLizzy I forgot to say I’m glad you got good advice re the hoglet the other day.
@DJC3 I worried about that hoglet to the extent that I couldn't sleep. Got out of bed and went looking for it. Found it round the side of the house hunting through the grass, which is very dry atm, it wasn't keen on my torch at first, but soon got used to it and carried on as if I wasn't there. Offered it more cat biscuits, but they were ignored this time, so found it a large slug, which it did eventually subdue after much stamping and chomping. It was hunting through the leaf litter under a large bay tree when I returned to bed. Am assuming it is ok. Putting water out in several places now. Will be interesting to see if anything comes for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast yogurt and raspberries, 2x CWC
CWC
Lunch intended to have avocado, but somehow ended up with ham and cheese on my single slice of toast. MrSlim made mixed salad. Squash and cup of tea.
Dinner was steak with mixed green salad, carrot rappé and peppercorn sauce
Too much wine was drunk leading to too many biscuits later. One us too many, half a packet is far too many.
Bedtime lemon tea.
@maglil55 thank you for the welcome have been mostly on the off topic chat What was your fast ing blood glucose thread recently.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: seared salmon on a bed of wilted spinach with a squeeze of lemon and a tiny pinch of sea salt. Lovely. Again, could have eaten more but I mustn't be greedy. It is so long since I had any half decent fish. I could probably live on fish most of the time if I could get it as fresh all the time. Next Tuesday, I might get 2 skate wings, or maybe a bigger one.

2nd meal: will be something with black pudding, bacon and egg. I bought the black pudding because I intended to get some scallops to have with it. Obviously that didn't work out. Might try it with a bit of smoked haddock later in the week. For today, I'll keep it more traditional.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3