What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday's 2nd meal: chicken wings just with lime juice and salt, roasted.

Breakfast: bacon and eggs. Had to chop the bacon into small pieces - I've been finding that I can't bite or chew anything much because my gums are still sore.

I have a lamb shank already braising for today's 2nd meal - if I cook it for long enough, it shouldn't need much chewing.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. 2mad again for me:
1)Smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado.
2) slow roasted lamb shoulder https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-roasted-shoulder-lamb a lovely and super easy recipe. I nearly didn’t bother with the gremolata but I’m glad I did, it really added a lovely fragrant zing.
Served with green beans in garlic butter and flakes almonds, cabbage, and turnips from neighbours garden made into this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sliced-turnip-bacon-bake , couple of glasses of red.
Stewed rhubarb and Fage yoghurt for pud.
@maglil55 thanks for the tip off about the DD fish and chips. That’s definitely on the menu for this week.
@garyclark82 enjoy your holiday, are you still measuring bg? I’m going away in a couple of weeks and I’m toying with the idea of leaving my meter at home.
@Riva_Roxaban agree with you on the taste of hogget, but it’s not seen much here either.
Remember I've altered the crispy coating for the fish again. No Almond flour, just milled flax, sesame seeds, parmesan and five seed mix. Seasonings of course too.

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 2 August - bed 4.8 FBG 4.3. No boys today but my legs are really quite bad. Physio tomorrow morning thank goodness.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with Philly.
L. Nothing - tackled the final cupboard apart from the larder unit (which awaits the additional shelves). Didn't exactly help my back and legs.
D. Still addicted to SLC hot dog. Hot dog plus the extra sausage, 1 hot dog roll with usual ketchup, mustard, soft and crispy onion. Another creme brulee with a few raspberries. I torched the inulin so much it caught fire. Easy to extinguish and it gave the best caramel crack yet!

Tuesday 3 August bed 7.6 FBG 6.7. Still boy free. Physio first thing which helped the legs and hips but they tightened up again at night. Tends to happen when they've been bad.

B. TAG and one slice of SLC toast with Philly.
L. Sandwich with coronation chicken.
D. Needed to use up prawns so a prawn salad with lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, mozzarella, coleslaw. Yet another LC creme brulee with a few raspberries.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and Fibre One bar.
Dinner: crispy cheese omelette with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and mushroom filling followed by SF orange jelly, chocolate chia and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After last night's meat feast, I fasted until 12, and walked dog up and down hills for 2 hours. She wasn't amused.
L: some bits on little gem lettuce leaves. 2 bites hubbies cake.
Mid afternoon an ice cream. Regretted it
D: pub mixed grill of small steak, pork chop, gammon, chicken, sausage, half a tomato and peas. They seemed surprised when I said to hold the chips and onion rings!. Bought about a 3rd home for the dog to make up for walking her too far this morning
Must remember to test bg in the morning to see results
My mind has you dog singing The Grand Old Duke of York through gritted teeth.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Small steak, eggs and fried up leftover veggies for breakfast.
Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches for lunch.
Red Rooster whole chicken and veggies gravy for dinner for a change.
Oh I remember Red Rooster from my visits to Hubby's family in Australia. I thought is was generous portions at a reasonable cost - tasty too!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My mind has you dog singing The Grand Old Duke of York through gritted teeth.
Thanks for the earworm!
I always thought it was the Gentle Duke of York, but I learned the song when my fluency of English was limited to 'yes', 'no' and counting from one to ten.
In Dutch the song is about prins Maurits, but he climbed up and down the hills with ten times as many men as your Duke. I expect this has more to do with the rhythm of the song than with actual accurate history writing though.

Not much news on the food front, same meal as yesterday, so I can't even hide my derailing with a nice description of my meal. :sorry:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and cherries (English cherries and very good flavour)
L: leftover fritatta and half an avocado
D: Indian restaurant so tandoori lamb chops ( disappointingly dry) and a chicken dish I just picked the meat from. Glass of white.

A quick dash to buy some flowers also produced a chocolate éclair each

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a cheese and mushroom omelette for breakfast.
Meat pie with out the lid, couple of pieces of liquorice I got off of the apprentice again for lunch.
Grilled Nile Perch fillets and green veggies for dinner.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
First have to say that steak breakfast was impressive @Riva_Roxaban sure you aren’t competing in Tokyo?
Yesterday and today my usual breakfast of slice of Hilo toast and lots of tea.
Lunch yesterday was piece of crustless broccoli & tomato quiche and big green salad with a teasp of Balsamic dressing. Supper was chunky cod fingers the remainder of the green salad, salad cream, I know! Lunch today will be scrambled eggs. Supper today will be baked salmon with Teriyaki sauce and tenderstem broccoli.
Yesterday made some lemon muffins. Havent baked anything like that in a very long time. Halved the xylitol in the recipe and it was so nice to have one after lunch with a mug of tea.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the earworm!
I always thought it was the Gentle Duke of York, but I learned the song when my fluency of English was limited to 'yes', 'no' and counting from one to ten.
In Dutch the song is about prins Maurits, but he climbed up and down the hills with ten times as many men as your Duke. I expect this has more to do with the rhythm of the song than with actual accurate history writing though.

Possibly Richard, 3rd duke of York, (1411—1460) attempted to take the English throne but only helped start the Wars of the Roses (1455–85) and he was the father of two English kings, Edward IV and Richard III.

Or more likely Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (1763–1827) - not well thought of because he was not a good general and his actions were considered futile since he lost the battle with France - not quite fair because his opponent was Napoleon and at the time, nobody else could defeat N either.

This was one of the few songs that would put Neil to sleep as a baby - marching up and down the room, patting his back in time to the tune.

On theme - I had to take a correction dose this morning to push BG down from 13.5 to 11.1 before I had my breakfast. Breakfast was a kind of blackberry and apple fool which I made last night.

2nd meal will be some more of the lamb shank casserole from yesterday.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning then a leftover pork chop with a slice of cheese melted on top for lunch. Followed it with 1/2 a SLC not cross bun.
Dinner was a wonderfully fresh mackerel, fresh off the boat this morning. Stuffed with parsley, lemon, garlic, cumin and paprika. Baked, with some roast veg. Followed up with a lc cupcake a chopped strawberry and another dollop of the Alpro coconut yoghurt. It’s not getting any better, think I’ll Chuck it out.
I go through baking phases too @PenguinMum . The lemon muffins sound good, is xylitol ok for cats? I know it’s poisonous for dogs. I don’t think You’ve made made your cheese scones for a while either, they always made my mouth water.
I’ve been humming Grand Old Duke of York all day!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An odd food day today as returning home so:
B: small ff greek with seeds and 4 cherries
Last dog walk. Was raining so she wasn't interested...but I needed my exercise. She mostly won!
Mid afternoon: nut bars in car. 250 miles with only one quick stop for fuel. So glad controlling sugars improved my constant weeing, couldn't have done that in the old days.
D: 90 second mug roll with cheese and a tablespoon coleslaw. 1 sq mint 100% chocolate with double cream.
Visitors due this weekend, one vegetarian, one no nuts, one no eggs, 3 teenagers, and me low carb. Ideas on a postcard please

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't go for groceries, didn't feel like cooking, so evening meal consisted of a nice salad with tomato, tuna, lots of onion and things like mayonnaise and jalapenos and such, and a slice of LC bread with butter and fancy French salami-like sausage slices.

Last dog walk. Was raining so she wasn't interested...but I needed my exercise. She mostly won!
Ah, we're progressing from the Gentle Duke to Tom Waits. :)
The both of you did find your way back home though, I hope!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First have to say that steak breakfast was impressive @Riva_Roxaban sure you aren’t competing in Tokyo?
I prefer to eat the iron content in steak, than get iron drip fed into a vein at the hospital as it looks like rusty water coming out of the tap. :D

I do not follow Australian sports people with their eating habits, there is enough bad behaviour with the Australian competitors with out watching them eat. :meh:

Reactions: Antje77

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, cheese omelette, tomatoes for brakfast.
Ham and salad lower carb wraps for lunch.
Cottage pie made with a mashed jap pumpkin top, veggies, and gravy for dinner.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that funny for some reason. :D
How did I miss that part?! Must have been diverted by those dukes, princes and members walking their 10,000 dogs up and down hills in the rain I guess...
@MrsA2 , I'd be happy to send you my ideas on a postcard, but I don't think the forum rules allow for asking your address, so I'm afraid you'll have to work it out yourself.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Visitors due this weekend, one vegetarian, one no nuts, one no eggs, 3 teenagers, and me low carb. Ideas on a postcard please

When our lot is together I have 1 vegan, 1 vegetarian, 1 coeliac, 1 lactose intolerant, 2 seafood allergies, I with an aversion to fish texture and 3 fussy kiddies. Me low carb of course! The rest are OK. I once had everyone at Christmas - 22 in total.

@Riva_Roxaban - I laughed too.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: ff greek with seeds and cherries (English cherries and very good flavour)
L: leftover fritatta and half an avocado
D: Indian restaurant so tandoori lamb chops ( disappointingly dry) and a chicken dish I just picked the meat from. Glass of white.

A quick dash to buy some flowers also produced a chocolate éclair each
This is a recipe from my CMT (courtesy of @DCUKMod if I remember correctly) for delicious tandoori lamb chops.

cookpad.com/uk/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops?via=search&search_term=tandoori%20lamb%20chops

Reactions: MrsA2 and Annb