What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dinner ended up being 2 lamb chops with cabbage and courgette, OK so far, but then followed by a piece (quite a large piece) of the sugar laden lemon meringue pie hubby made.
Why oh why does he decide to learn to cook after 30 odd years of not bothering, and when he does why does he always choose to do the sweetest carbiest food??? Admittedly he won 1st prize at the village show with it, but it is huge and so sticky sweet.
I have a secret plan to give most of it away tomorrow under the auspices of showing the neighbours how good it was, but how do I to get him to cook stuff I can eat, or just not bother in the first place?
Here's one I've made a few times which is rather nice and the base works for lemon merengue too (yes I'm about to give you LC lemon curd & merengue recipes too).

www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-cloud-pie-low-carb-gluten-free/

The only thing I've changed on this is I use Monk Fruit rather than erythirtol now.

I've not managed to solve the issue of pastry yet but, as I said, the base on the cloud pie works. I thank Nigella Lawson for the rest of the lemon merengue recipe! It was one of her recipes for lemon pavlova that sent me down the road of making it low carb. Here's the adapted recipe for the LC pavlova

https://www.copymethat.com/r/N5NqOWXa4/low-carb-lemon-meringue-pavlovas/

and here's the recipe for the LC curd and merengue.

www.ibreatheimhungry.com/sugar-free-lemon-curd/

alldayidreamaboutfood.com/shannons-sugar-free-meringues-low-carb-and-gluten-free/

If your hubby wants a challenge, I have an excellent recipe for LC Black Forest Gateaux but you really don't want to know the calorie content!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening meal part 1.

Played a game of how much toppings can you fit on a small slice of LC bread, an I think I won!
I even managed to lose only one piece of mozzarella while eating, no small feat, and besides, the dog snatched it up before I could even think about it :D

Hummus, sucuk (Turkish garlic sausage), mozzarella, sundried tomatoes, black pepper and a drop of olive oil.

Now thinking on what to have for part 2 of my meal :)

241733408_10224233124570136_2546547239304812611_n.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thurs 9 September - bed 6.2 FBG 6.7.

Another leftovers day for me as I'd made Mac & cheese with "bits" for the boys & Hubby. (Bits today being pancetta, mushrooms, broccoli, tomato and the essential peas).

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. A weird leftover mix - last of the prawns and anchovies with the remains of the waldorf salad, coleslaw, santini tomatoes, 2 mini mozzarella a little lettuce and a slice of SLC bread and butter.
A Grenade ice cream bar.

Friday 10 September - bed 6.2 FBG 6.5

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with coronation chicken.
L. Nothing - took the boys swimming after school.
D. Got a take out - mixed chicken & lamb kebab with salad - chilli & mayo dressing.

A good day today. Grandson (who has waited 6 years to be allocated a P1 "buddy" was overjoyed to get one today. When I picked him up the staff were full of praise about how good he was with little ones. I knew that already. The teacher even phoned his mum to say it is definitely his calling as she had a tear in her eye at how kind and patient he is.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any issues with oat fibre but whether that's down to the oat fibre itself or the fact it's not enough to do damage I don't know. I do prefer it to the bamboo fibre (which I also have) and neither have produced any spikes to concern me. Hubby eats it too without complaint (mainly because he doesn't know what I mix in from my "potions cupboard" as he calls it!.
Another positive vote here for oat fibre I use it in lc bread and it’s really bg friendly I think but has to be oat fibre not flour or oat bran. I use the your health store one their gluten free oat fibre which is white and similar to flour in appearance but much lighter it’s 0g of carb - all fibre. Oat fibre is made from the oats Hull the outer indigestible part that protects the oat while growing and contains no calories or carbs.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast two boiled eggs with slice of home made buttered low carb bread
Lunch one cold boiled egg followed by a few raspberries from garden and 0%fage yoghurt
Mid pm two squares of 90% choc
Dinner roast chicken dinner with asparagus and one roast potato and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF coffee and walnut cake laced with sprinkle of rum heated and served with 0%fage yoghurt.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another positive vote here for oat fibre I use it in lc bread and it’s really bg friendly I think but has to be oat fibre not flour or oat bran. I use the your health store one their gluten free oat fibre which is white and similar to flour in appearance but much lighter it’s 0g of carb - all fibre. Oat fibre is made from the oats Hull the outer indigestible part that protects the oat while growing and contains no calories or carbs.
I concur. It has to be the fibre.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and phd Smart bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any issues with oat fibre but whether that's down to the oat fibre itself or the fact it's not enough to do damage I don't know. I do prefer it to the bamboo fibre (which I also have) and neither have produced any spikes to concern me. Hubby eats it too without complaint (mainly because he doesn't know what I mix in from my "potions cupboard" as he calls it!.

Do you think it’d work ok as a flour substitute in coatings? I’ve never used it before and don’t know if it’d give the same crispy result

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks @shelley262 and good to see you! I have oat fibre ( 0.3G carbs/100g from buywholefoodsonline.co.uk ) I was just wondering if I could substitute it for wheat flour in my ‘KFC’ chicken coating recipe. What do you think?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now thinking on what to have for part 2 of my meal :)
I'm having my doubts of half a large bag of salted pork scratchings with aioli and half a bag of smokey bbq flavoured almonds being a sensible substitute for a meal, but hey, it is low carb!
Tasted delicious too, and I'm very sure I didn't go short on salt today, so I'm not complaining. :angelic:

@Rachox , how are your kidney stone and your stent doing? Any relief yet?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg cheese omelette, one strip of bacon, small portion of baked beans for breakfast.
Grated cheese and tomato low carb wraps, glass of lemon cordial with a scoop of OsmoLax mixed in for smoko.
Curried egg low carb sandwiches, lime jelly with a spoon full of two fruits, for lunch.
Bacon hocks cooked in the slow cooker, veggies including a couple of spudlite potatoes for dinner.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch today: cheese and ham omelette with a bit of salad. Loads of coffee through the morning.
Dinner was slow roast lamb shoulder with some lc veg thrown in at the end plus some green beans from neighbour’s allotment.
Cheese to follow and a bit too much wine if I’m honest.
A handful of macadamias at some point.
Loads of tea this afternoon.
@maglil55 lovely news about your grandson, what a smashing little boy.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not even sure what bacon hocks are, but I'm pretty sure I want them!
So how do you cook them?
We put a couple of hocks like the one in the pix into a slow cooker, cover with water. Cook on high for about five hours, then when the internal temp gets to 80° celcius, turn off the power and leave in cooker for another hour then take them out.

arvQXuX.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We put a couple of hocks like the one in the pix into a slow cooker, cover with water. Cook on high for about five hours, then when the internal temp gets to 80° celcius, turn off the power and leave in cooker for another hour then take them out.
Thanks!
I'm going to see if I can buy such a cut around here, it looks amazing!
My 'slow cooker' is of the old fasioned type, running on lamp oil, so not sure what 'high' on a slow cooker is. Would this be the very occasional 'blub' in the pot?

This is my slow cooker.
(Oxtail I made last year, in the bathroom to keep it safe from dogs and cats, and the bathroom can be closed.)
84701926_10219745075771721_4662930707755040768_n.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox , how are your kidney stone and your stent doing? Any relief yet?

Unfortunately not, I’m still waiting to hear from the hospital for a date for removal of both. They are both very uncomfortable, I’m thinking they inserted a steel rod instead of a flexible silicon stent! I have another appt with GP on Tuesday, to see if he can hurry things up, as life is miserable and limited at the moment :(

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!
I'm going to see if I can buy such a cut around here, it looks amazing!
My 'slow cooker' is of the old fasioned type, running on lamp oil, so not sure what 'high' on a slow cooker is. Would this be the very occasional 'blub' in the pot?
That one is off a rear leg, the ones from front end are a different shape.

Another name for them is knuckles, I found the German name from them which might be similar to your language "Schweinshaxe".

There were lots of little bubbles around it when I stuck the thermometer in, I have seen the glubs in thicker foods i have cooked though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Another name for them is knuckles, I found the German name from them which might be similar to your language "Schweinshaxe".
I have a feeling I live in a country of wimps when it comes to meat, much different from our German neighbours. Recognisable meat is much more common in Germany than in the Netherlands.
My local butcher was happy to provide me with oxtail though, it's not something usually bought, and he was very enthousiastic when I wanted some pork skin to try to make scratchings (it worked, but the supermarket bought ones tasted better), so I have good hopes he'll get me some pigs ankles if I ask :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262 and good to see you! I have oat fibre ( 0.3G carbs/100g from buywholefoodsonline.co.uk ) I was just wondering if I could substitute it for wheat flour in my ‘KFC’ chicken coating recipe. What do you think?
I’d imagine you could but like any fibre you’ll need more liquid than you expect if it’s a batter type recipe. If it’s just a dry one worth a try - good luck with it and let us know what it’s like.

Reactions: DJC3

Madisons

Late breakfast/lunch: While prepping, bunch of celery sticks and cucumbers in a cilantro-olive oil garlic dip. Had to have 2 grape tomatoes with it! Then ready was: Usual Portobellin mushroom, red pepper, dandelion greens omelette, along with 1 low-carb toast with aged white cheddar and 5 grape tomatoes and basil. Dessert: Bowl of pressed cottage cheese with few raspberries and handful of pumpkin seeds and a tsp of nut butter mixed in with cinnamon and coconut oil. How can I be still starving??? I must be doing something wrong. Everyone here eats such small portions and have such great portion control. How do you guys do it please? Right now drinking a matcha green tea to suppress any more hunger cravings...