What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit out of things for the last 2 days. A very old (and very elderly) friend was coming for a brief visit to Stornoway with his daughter and granddaughter, so we were arranging an actual face to face meet-up for yesterday. Also coming along was one of our other friends who had his 69th birthday yesterday - last time they met was when he was a young, newly wed) so I was asked to make a birthday cake - first actual celebration cake I've made in about 2 years! Don't know why the whole thing made me so tired, but it did - even with Neil driving me there and back, I was shattered and still am. I didn't have any of the cake so I hope it was OK.

Yesterday I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, and the same today.

Yesterday I had a small bowl of some very nice soup, made by another friend for us all to share. Couldn't get the name of it but it was a Persian soup made with dried beans and lots of herbs and spices. I've asked for the recipe and will try to replicate it myself - one small bowl shouldn't be too much carbohydrate. Came home with half a dozen tea bags of Yogi tea which was pressed on me when I commented how much I enjoy cardamom tea.

Today I will be making a kind of meat and vegetable hash with the bits and pieces of left-over meat in the fridge. The main veg will be butternut squash but I have no carrots - there were none to be had when Neil went shopping yesterday. I do have quite a lot of green things though, so it should be OK. Actually, I also have some pulp left from making the tomato soup, which I was loath to throw out, so that might find its way into the hash as well. That's where the last of my carrots went.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: 5% fage with seeds and raspberries
2 back to back exercise classes!
L: 2 small bits of cold lamb, some pate on cucumber slices. A piece of lc rhubarb and ginger cake from the freezer, reheated and topped with fage 5%
Feeling tired and grotty this afternoon so fell asleep. Not much better when woke up so cooked spaghetti and meatballs for the boys. Ended up with 1 meatball, 1 tiny bit of pate and a large glass of wine.
Nose now streaming and sneezing.
Like for the food you managed; hugs for what I hope is just a short lived cold. Rest, fluid and get waited on.

Reactions: MrsA2

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 7.2 FBG 6.8 - Start of the school run week again but, I have a long weekend coming up! Off Friday & Monday. One of my neighbours passed away this morning too. Myloma, same cancer as the first brother I lost. Like my brother he eventually had to stop treatment as it left him with no quality of life. One day they may find a cure.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with coronation chicken.
L. Nothing.
D. Leftover bits of one of yesterday's duck legs with slice of ox tongue, 4 of these mini German sausage, slice of wafer thin roast beef, coleslaw, waldorf salad, santini tomatoes. Grenade ice cream.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one egg fried in butter and slice of lc bread toasted
Lunch smoked salmon pate on fresh hm lc bread and butter followed by DGF ginger cake with 0%yoghurt fage
Dinner roast lamb with salad followed by DGF raspberry bakewell with a few raspberries from garden
Busy day again so planning feet up and a glass of dry white wine when OH gets home later.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily whatever it was making me grotty yesterday mostly passed through today. Just needed a sneaky afternoon nap.

B:, on the run, an avocado and a bit of cheddar
L: 2 boiled eggs on 90 sec bread roll
D: 97% heck sausages cooked in casserole with cabbage and radishes. Finished up some 5% fage with walnuts

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 8.2 FBG 7.9 - Absolutely no idea why. Nothing I'd eaten would have caused it and I don't feel unwell. Even my "early warning" system of my legs are fine so nothing is lurking.
Grandson increased his afternoon time at school again so we're now only 65 mins short of a full day. I've suggested he sticks the rest if this week then increase again next week after the long weekend. We'll certainly be back full time before the October week.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with the last of the coronation chicken.
L. Nothing
D. Leftovers again. 3 slices Danish salami, 2 slices wafer thin roast beef, slice corned beef and slice of ox tongue. Coleslaw, 4 santini tomatoes, 4 mini mozzarella and 1/2 avocado. My new batch of SLC bread arrived so I had a slice of bread and butter too! Question now is do I have a SLC not cross bun or a Grenade ice cream? Decisions, decisions.

Welcome back @shelley262 and glad you're feeling better @MrsA2.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
B: cheese omelette

L: leftover crustless quiche, fennel tea

D: Quorn balls and mushrooms in spicy tomato sauce, courgette spaghetti, grated manchego cheese

Will have some 85% chocolate and a creamy decaf later.
The small crustless quiche gives me a 9 2 hrs after. I’m gonna try tomorrow only eating half with lots of salad and see what happens; as I love quiche. Xx.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried making pea and ham soup with frozen peas? It's not quite the same as using dried peas, but it is very good.
We normally put a bag of peas in as well about three quarters way through cooking so they do not go mushy as well.

Never tried to make p&h soup without using dried split peas, mght have to give it a try to see how it turns out.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmmmm! Perhaps next time they will get roasted, these were intended for pea and ham soup but no dried peas again,so just some veggies were added. :D

If you're doing soup, trim off the fat and rind layers and sloooooow roast that independently for fabulous crackling/scratchings.

Oh boy. :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Reactions: maglil55

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The small crustless quiche gives me a 9 2 hrs after. I’m gonna try tomorrow only eating half with lots of salad and see what happens; as I love quiche. Xx.

Did your crustless quiche have a pastry base on it? If you enjoy that sort of thing you can achieve it using the filling mixture in a well greased muffin or Yorkshire pudding tin. Alternatively, line the tin indentations with thin cut bacon or wafer cut ham. That helps if you want it to be finger food.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Did your crustless quiche have a pastry base on it? If you enjoy that sort of thing you can achieve it using the filling mixture in a well greased muffin or Yorkshire pudding tin. Alternatively, line the tin indentations with thin cut bacon or wafer cut ham. That helps if you want it to be finger food.
Ah I see. It’s the pastry yes. I like the idea of lining the tin with ham. Thank you. X

Reactions: AndBreathe

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg and cheese omelette, bacon, tomatoes, slice of low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Cold meat and lettuce ina low carb wrap, glass of lemon / lime cordial with a scoop of OsmoLax in it for smoko.
Steak and veggies, gravy for dinner.
Toasted cheese and tomato sandwich for supper at six.

Forgot to change the fentanyl patch yesterday (Tuesday) I could feel the polyp waking up in my colon this morning. It's stopped being painful now I changed the patch.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t believe I haven’t saved a photo of the air fryer ‘KFC’ it was very good. Paul said the only thing that would have made it better was if I’d served it in a bucket!
Recipe on my CopyMeThat if anyone is interested.
Oat fibre worked fine @maglil55 and @shelley262 thanks both for your advice. Paul’s chicken with the flour instead of oat fibre looked more authentic but the flavour is from the spices and I was very happy with that.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Breakfast- smoked salmon and two hard boiled eggs
Lunch- sashimi and seaweed salad
Dinner-300g chicken breast grilled, spinach salad
Snack-protein shake

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: I decided to try corn flakes, to see what it would do to my BG. Bad idea. Shan't do that again.

2nd meal: left over hash from yesterday with 2 eggs broken into it and microwaved. There was a fair bit there, so it should be enough for the rest of the day. Quite thirsty though.

Has anyone heard of Dr Sten Ekberg? I've just been watching a video by him and some of what he says makes sense, although he does indicate that eating according to his suggestions should make you lose weight - but it is pretty much what I've been doing these last many months, to no avail, so he's missing some element. One of the things he definitely says shouldn't be eaten is breakfast cereals (like cornflakes). I can agree with that. He also says Stevia should be OK as a sweetener. For some, maybe, but not for me, or for DIL, or for Neil.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I didn't feel hungry so no breakfast today.
At 12.45 I had a chocolate cookie biscuit and about five/six nuts with coffee (which I rarely drink) and double cream. It was experimental too (as was Annb's cornflakes), but had absolutely no affect on me other than confirming that I really don't miss biscuits!
At 3.30 I had mixed salad leaves, steamed veg, topped with three chicken slices and some mayo. HEAVEN. So flavoursome.
That was over two hours ago and I'm still completely satisfied food-wise. I do SO enjoy my meals these days xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: salmon fillets with broccoli, Brussels and a couple of carrot batons followed by SF strawberry jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: salmon fillets with broccoli, Brussels and a couple of carrot batons followed by SF strawberry jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.
Are you better now Rachox?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was Ham and 2 fried eggs.
Lunch: pate with 2 types of lc crackers: (microwave flaxseed cracker and parmesan and seed crisps). A couple of cornichons too. Choc chia pud to follow.
Dinner: 1/2 lb beef burger made with local pastured beef. Slice of cheese on top and a large grilled mushroom underneath. Salad on the side and a large glass of red. Happy days.

Edit for typo