What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful stress busting start to my day with an hours swim at a local outdoor pool. Sun reluctant to appear but a few occasional flickers.
Lunch two eggs scrambled in butter with one slice of lc buttered bread. Followed by a few raspberries from garden and 0% fage yoghurt.
Mid pm two squares of 90% lindt choc
Dinner a bit of an experiment , one for you @Madisons may be to check out re the beans. I sourced some frozen endame beans - young soy beans - they are only 2.6g of carb per 100g plus high protein at 12g and fibre at 4.9. Much better than other beans re carb content and enjoyed. They didn’t absorb as much of flavour of the chilli as kidney beans do but tasted lovely. Think need to try using them in a few more things. Maybe a hummus as I miss hummus made withchickpeas.
Chilli con carne and endame beans with a slice of garlic bread made with hm lc bread - pudding a more naughty oppo ice cream lowish carb than other ice creams but more than my normal puds!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and SF orange jelly.
Dinner: salmon and cream cheese sandwiches (low carb bread) with coleslaw followed by DGF chocolate birthday cake from the freezer topped with coffee chia pudding and LC nutty granola.

My appetite most of the time isn’t affected by my current health situation with the kidney stone and stent. I have been eating rather high calorie Atkins bars, my treat to cheer me up, but so far weigh remains stable :)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Been watching food programmes again, so today I had a deconstructed burger du fromage á la père with a garnish of tomatoes in different preparations, jalapenos, and a deconstructed egg on top.

Which sounds much better than 'I didn't go for the planned grocery shopping so I turned the last of my fathers meatballs into a burger which fell apart when frying.
For lack of vegetables I sliced a tomato and fried half with the burger and left the other half raw.
Added a slice of cheese to the pieces of 'burger' and wanted to fry an egg sunny side up but I broke the yolk.' :D

Still, a fine meal, especially considering I didn't get my groceries!

241990198_10224260925985154_1315155924279202744_n.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 5% greek yog, seeds and walnuts
L: 2 hard boiled eggs, mayo, radishes, cucumber anda bit of manchego
Mid afternoon, 1 bite brownie and 2 bites ice cream after long dog walk
D: a takeaway, chicken wings, fillets and drumstick. All fried. Not proud but have kept half for tomorrow

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg and cheese omelette, one slice of middle bacon, button mushrooms, tomatoes for breakfast. I could not eat it all as I got hiccups for the first time in a good many years.
Rest of my breakfast reheated and put in a low carb wrap, glass of lemon / lime cordial with a scoop full of Osmolax mixed in for smoko.
Roast of the day at the Brothers sports club bistro, roast beef and veggies, gravy for lunch.
Cheese and onion toasted low carb sandwiches, lime jelly, couple of spoon full of passion fruit sorbet for supper at six.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful stress busting start to my day with an hours swim at a local outdoor pool. Sun reluctant to appear but a few occasional flickers.
Lunch two eggs scrambled in butter with one slice of lc buttered bread. Followed by a few raspberries from garden and 0% fage yoghurt.
Dinner a bit of an experiment , one for you @Madisons may be to check out re the beans. I sourced some frozen endame beans - young soy beans - they are only 2.6g of carb per 100g plus high protein at 12g and fibre at 4.9. Much better than other beans re carb content and enjoyed. They didn’t absorb as much of flavour of the chilli as kidney beans do but tasted lovely. Think need to try using them in a few more things. Maybe a hummus as I miss hummus made withchickpeas.
Chilli con carne and endame beans with a slice of garlic bread made with hm lc bread - pudding a more naughty oppo ice cream lowish carb than other ice creams but more than my normal puds!

Edemame beans in chilli is a brilliant idea thank you. I used to love them and always had a pack of the frozen ones in my freezer, I haven’t even bothered to check the carb content though - I just assumed they’d be high!
(I’m still using your tip of black olives instead of kidney beans in chilli btw -another good idea)

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Madisons

Been watching food programmes again, so today I had a deconstructed burger du fromage á la père with a garnish of tomatoes in different preparations, jalapenos, and a deconstructed egg on top.

Which sounds much better than 'I didn't go for the planned grocery shopping so I turned the last of my fathers meatballs into a burger which fell apart when frying.
For lack of vegetables I sliced a tomato and fried half with the burger and left the other half raw.
Added a slice of cheese to the pieces of 'burger' and wanted to fry an egg sunny side up but I broke the yolk.' :D

Still, a fine meal, especially considering I didn't get my groceries!

241990198_10224260925985154_1315155924279202744_n.jpg
Wow! Another lovely plate. Looks soooooo good....I'm hungry all the time...

Madisons

Hi Shelley, thank you for the edame bean suggestion. I do know that they are the lowest carb bean and although I love them, I have to watch it because of the hypothyroid. I have to watch my intake of soy which makes me so upset, because I love fermented soy in a tempeh and in miso soup. I just love legumes, from lentils to chick peas, and the fact that I have to give them up is so upsetting. For me, it's not about giving up desserts and sweets, my weakmess is giving up the savory carbs, in beans and quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, etc...I can eat my entire kitchen, and still be starving. As I mentioned before, I need to seek therapy for portion control...

Reactions: DJC3

Madisons

Can someone explain to me why the ADA says beans (legumes) are fine for someone who is prediabetic, T1, T2, LADA...? They say that it's a "good" carb since it has fibre and won't spike your sugars. Hmmmm...I've looked at other sites as well where I google: are beans safe for diabetes...and the majority of them say it's great and should even prevent T1 or T2 from happening? How can they say things like that to confuse those that want to eat well and avoid becoming a full-blown diabetic? They also praise whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, etc...as long as there's fibre...I don't understand...I had been eating wrong the entire time which led me to become pre-diabetic...Sorry for venting...but so upset that so many sources push the carb to fibre ratio...saying it is perfectly OK if there's fibre in it...they say the same for fruits. I am stunned.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone explain to me why the ADA says beans (legumes) are fine for someone who is prediabetic, T1, T2, LADA...? They say that it's a "good" carb since it has fibre and won't spike your sugars.

It all depends on what works for you or does not work for you. For instance, for me legumes barely if at all move my blood glucose numbers, whereas for oats I have to take insulin to neutralize the carbs in it. Sometimes it is allconfusing.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It all depends on what works for you or does not work for you. For instance, for me legumes barely if at all move my blood glucose numbers, whereas for oats I have to take insulin to neutralize the carbs in it. Sometimes it is allconfusing.

For me oats is absolutely the worst carb in terms of spiking my BG. Such a pity because I enjoy oats. It's actually worse than sugar. Of course, there's no way anyone would eat the same amount of sugar as they might oats but to bring BG up after a hypo, an oatcake is much more effective than a boiled sweet, for example. As far as I have been able to determine, legumes are not really bad for me, although I am on treatment for hypothyroidism and never heard that legumes were bad for that. It is very confusing, both in the differing effects on people and in the advice given by medics.

Only tea so far today, but I'll have to do something soon - my morning rise started at a high level and is keeping going.

Breakfast will be bacon and egg, as usual.

Haven't checked the fridges or cupboards yet to see what there is available to eat today.

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry MIA for a few days.
All brekkies this week were slice HiLo toast, butter and lots of tea.
Lunch was either cold meat or Rollitos wih a few cherry toms and spoon coleslaw.
Having been away last week lots of things needed to be consumed according to date.
Thursday supper was chunky cod fingers and tenderstem broccoli, still my fave supper of the week! Friday was salmon baked in foil with a splash of Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce and roasted Med veg. Tonigh eldest son coming round and has requested Indian t/a so Tandoori King Prawns (4 always think it should be 5 for a main course but maybe just been greedy) and cauli bhajee. Will try to swerve the popadoms but if not successful one is my limit!
@Rachox I am glad you are able to enjoy your food despite the pain and discomfort. I think I would be sorry for myself and likely hit the Jaffa cakes.
@lcarter you seem to be doing well with your choices, great job.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today one slice of bacon,one egg and two small fried tomatoes with slice of HM Lc toast
Lunch a few raspberries from garden with spoon of 0% fage yoghurt
Mid pm four squares of 90% lindt -two planned but tempted to go back for more!
Dinner chicken curry with mint raita,salsa and one poppadom (pataks poppadoms are 3G of carb each) with two gin and sodas followed by DGF coffee and walnut cake.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox I am glad you are able to enjoy your food despite the pain and discomfort. I think I would be sorry for myself and likely hit the Jaffa cakes.

Don’t worry tea will be at the ILs tomorrow so a Jaffa cake will defo appear in my menu tomorrow.
Today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and phd smart bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and DGF lemon drizzle cake.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF raspberry jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m struggling to remember what I’ve eaten today so I’ll start with dinner and work backwards in the hope of jogging my memory.
1/2 a small chicken cooked in the air fryer rotisserie, roast med veg and a dollop of Nando’s peri peri sauce. Raspberries cream and grated 100% chocolate on top.
Lunch definitely involved a lc Scotch egg, still warm out of the airfryer., a DGF notella blondie afterwards but I’m sure there was something else
Breakfast was a hard boiled egg and then 2 small slices lc toast, butter and the merest scraping of sugar free marmalade. Delicious.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
B: coffee and cream x 2

Mid morning: 2 hard boiled eggs and a chilled Starbucks oat latte (9g carbs as lactose free)

Mid afternoon: tuna Mayo salad

Then I made a low carb carrot cake and ate two small slices (8g) (one as a snack one as pudding after dinner)

Dinner: Nando’s homemade chicken salad

Cup of tea with splash of milk and 1 square of Lindt 70% dark choc.

Total carbs around 26g and my levels have finally reached 8. This is only day two of lowering carbs/aiming for keto so I’m really happy with this.