What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here. Didn't enjoy Bake off last year, my first with diabetes as it just showed me everything I couldn't eat any more. This year I'm looking through different eyes. I don't want any of the food (well maybe the odd taste) but like the challenge and competition. Maybe I am fat adapted and cured of carb addiction after all.
I'm quite fond of them this year. I like Jurgen and Giovanni.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did not eat much for breakfast as feeling crook, couple of pieces of vegimite on low carb toast was about my lot.
Half a tub of high protein greek yoghurt, cordial with added goodness init for smoko.
A tin of beef and veggie stew and a couple of slices of bread, for lunch.
Some various cheeses, cherry tomatoes and a bit of limp lettuce for supper at six.

I will ask the Blue Care nurse why I feel like **** when she comes to dress my leg this morning, I hope this is not a foretaste of things to come
I have a bit of catching up to do but I hope you are feeling better by now.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whenever you mention grated celeriac with mayonnaise, I always think it’s exactly the sort of thing I’d like and I tell myself not to forget to try it. I always do forget though so please feel free to mention it often and at random intervals to remind me.
That's a remoulade isn't it? Haven't made it for ages. Finely shredded celeriac and the sauce made with mayo, lemon juice, mustard, double cream, salt and white pepper (so it stays white). Toss the celeriac in the lemon juice then mix the mayo, cream and mustard together. Season with salt and pepper. Mix into the celeriac and lemon juice. It benefits from being covered and spending the night in the fridge.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will do!
And a free tip for everyone who thinks peeling a celeriac is daunting: Just cut thick slices first with a large knife. The slices are as easy to peel and grate as an apple. :)

Not yet there :(
Will try again tomorrow :)
That's how I get my husband to deal with my celeriac too!

Reactions: Antje77 and DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be something about this 3rd covid vaccine. I've heard of quite a few people (all women!) who had bad reactions after no problem at all with the first 2. Anyway I'm back to normal this morning. Started very late this morning because I couldn't get to sleep last night and just mooched around the place until 5.30 am but then, finally dozed on and off until 10.30. Now I have a sore throat - I think that is probably the virus that DIL has been suffering with - having been enclosed in her car to get to the hospital for my jabs.

I am just heating some leek and chicken soup (yesterday's soup with some extra leeks put in) for breakfast.

2nd meal will be something veggie with some bits of chicken breast (2 small breasts left from the chicken from a couple of days ago, which need to be used). Seems lots of chicken over the last few days, but I had planned to cook some of it for the freezer and then, because of the jab, I didn't freeze any of it.

I actually managed to get a delivery slot from Tesco for Tuesday. It was the only one available for the next 3 weeks. That'll save Neil having to go. Tried to get a second one for the following week, but only "Click and Collect" available. this is a new service here on the Islands but to use it, you have to have a smart phone, which I don't and I don't understand why it is needed.

Edited to fix 2 typos.
What vaccines have you had the 3 times? x

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread filled with egg mayo. Mug of earl grey tea.

Dinner - h/m lasagne made with cheese squares in between instead of pasta sheets. 1 slc outsider of bread toasted and smothered with garlic butter. 2 squares lindtt 90%. Mug of earl grey.

Has anyone tried the dgf forest crumbles and if so, what are they like? I cashed in my vouchers with dgf and have ordered a couple of boxes of the autumn ones and I had to buy some cream to have with them but I made a deal with myself to have the cream again this week only! and not again until christmas - which isn't that far away.

Also, I managed to get some of the M&S seeded crackers during the week from M&S at the Gyle shopping centre near Edinburgh - yeah they are quite short dated - had some filled with cheese during the week - idoes anyone know how many carbs there is per cracker?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - I somehow imagined Neil in late 30's. By the way, I don't envy you the journey to Inverness. A lot of organising. My hubby had both vacations on Wednesday. He had 2 days with just sore arms and one day feeling awful. He's fine now. I don't have my appointment yet but I am not having both the same day having had a mild allergic reaction with both Covid jabs.
@Riva_Roxaban glad you're feeling better.

Monday bed 6.3 FBG 6.8. Today knocked me for six.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with crowdie.
L. Nothing.
D. Eventually had some leftover cold cuts and some of M&S crackers with whipped cheese.
Youngest grandson managed to upend me and I landed flat on my back on concrete at the school. No good at the best of times but with spinal injuries it created quite a fuss. I'm OK now - I know how to fall. I was a bit bruised but avoided banging my head. More shaken than anything else.

Tuesday bed and FBG both 6.8

B. TAG and a couple of M&S crackers with whipped cheese. DIL came with me on the school journeys today to accompany the youngest. Elder was quite upset as he understood how a fall could be serious. I just needed to keep moving.
L V8 Juice
D. SLC toast and scrambled eggs. DGF coconut and raspberry bar.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a Scottish cheese. It's made from curdled milk which gives it a sour taste. It looks a bit like cottage cheese. The one I have is just plain but you can get it rolled in pepper corns and oatmeal. It sounds yuk but I like the sour taste.

I think I’d like that too!

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and peanut phd Smart bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding with LC nutty granola.
Dinner, ILs are ill, waiting for covid test results, we stayed away so no Jaffa cake this week :( At home had salmon and cream cheese sandwiches with LC bread, coleslaw, beetroot salad leaves (still trying to bump up my iron) followed by DGF coconut and raspberry bar with cream and raspberries.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Dinner - h/m lasagne made with cheese squares in between instead of pasta sheets. 1 slc outsider of bread toasted and smothered with garlic butter. 2 squares lindtt 90%. Mug of earl grey.

Has anyone tried the dgf forest crumbles and if so, what are they like? I cashed in my vouchers with dgf and have ordered a couple of boxes of the autumn ones and I had to buy some cream to have with them but I made a deal with myself to have the cream again this week only! and not again until christmas - which isn't that far away.

Also, I managed to get some of the M&S seeded crackers during the week from M&S at the Gyle shopping centre near Edinburgh - yeah they are quite short dated - had some filled with cheese during the week - idoes anyone know how many carbs there is per cracker?

I went to M&S today and still no seeded crackers, it’s not a very large food hall and caters mainly for holiday visitors passing through, but I live in hope. Another disappointment was finding out they’d stopped stocking the Best Ever pork sausages which are very low carb. I did manage to get some salmon fillets with a yellow reduced sticker on though, so wasn’t an entirely wasted trip.
Not tried the DGF forest crumbles, I’ll be interested to see what you think. I keep making deals with myself about cream too!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday bed 7.2 FBG 6.8

B. TAG and a couple of M&S crackers with whipped cheese.
L. Nothing
D. Hubby was feeling off following the vaccines so ended up with a slice of SLC toast with ox tongue and cheese.. I got DGF today too. A crumble one warmed slightly with blackberries & blueberries.

@mrs A2 hope you are feeling better too. @Annb glad to read your brother's results as well.

Thursday bed 6.5 FBG 6.3

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast and whipped cheese.
L. A DGF vegan brownie - Gee they are strong.
D. A chicken and kofta kebab with shredded lettuce, tomato and cucumber (hubby not great but he had some chicken). A DGF gingerbread and blackberries.

I'm still being accompanied to the school and back. Eldest grandson is now on 27 certificates for good behaviour and excellent work. Wish his younger brother would learn from him!

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you got home @Riva_Roxaban, Never had sand crabs, or any crab come to that (it's just my thing about crustaceans) but I hope you enjoyed it after missing your breakfast.

Had an abnormally fierce reaction to my 3rd covid jab - a morning with high temperature, sore arm, tired and just generally unwell and unwilling to get moving. Finally got over it about 2 pm and decided to make some chicken soup with yesterday's stock - actually chicken and leek soup. Didn't taste quite right, so I added quite a lot of cream. That was a definite improvement, but I still couldn't finish the whole bowl. Just left with a sore arm now - not as bad as Neil's, of course and it will go away pretty rapidly. But it was a surprise for me to react at all.

I'll keep the food fairly light for the rest of the day, but will probably need to have something. Maybe some berries with yoghurt.
Hubby was the same but he had just over 24 hrs and had problems sleeping because both arms were painful.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling brighter today, thank you to all who asked. Still sore throat but at least have stopped feeling sick.

Brunch of 2 soft boiled eggs with crispy bacon to dip in. A few prawns with mayo

Dinner of roast chicken with broccoli, carrots, 1 tablespoon stuffing.
A very small portion of ice-cream. A handful of marmite nuts

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have! Rather nice with a quick blast in the microwave and served with berries and a spoonful of extra thick cream.
The Gyle is probably the only M&S I haven't tried yet for crackers. I've been buying the Wheaten or the cheese ones they are selling for £1 a time I see them. They're 2.5g per cracker. They seem to be selling out but I got another pack at Straiton at the weekend. I'm seriously considering Waverley or the Royal Infirmary M&S to see if they have them or the seeded ones.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 5.3 FBG 5.9. Starting to move a bit better now and it's half day plus school holidays next week. Hubby feeling better too.
B. TAG and 1 slice of SLC toast with crowdie.
L. A DGF cookie and a V8 juice.
D. Made a risotto with cauliflower rice, spring onion, garlic, parmesan, parsley and a spoonful of sour cream. Served with scallops. A DGF gingerbread with blackberries.

Saturday bed 6 5 FBG 6.3

B. TAG and a couple of M&S crackers with salmon mousse. It's jujitsu day so I'm up and away early.
L. Trip to the butcher's after jujitsu then took Hubby to football. A DGF cookie and a V8 juice when I got back and while I waited for a Sainsbury's delivery. Weirdly I got a delivery but couldn't get a Click & Collect.
D. After picking Hubby up again a dinner of cold cuts again. Ox tongue, roast pork, mini German sausage, mortadella with 1/2 avocado, coleslaw, waldorf, mini mozzarella and santini tomatoes. Yet another DGF gingerbread.

During my time at home, I was tracking an auction on Ebay for a Lego Death Star (Star Wars). It's a discontinued set but eldest grandson longs for one. After a lot of checking on the person selling I was satisfied this was a good buy. A bit of damage to the box but contents are 100% complete and factory sealed. I'd learned from watching other bids go for an odd number and some pence. Also bid as close to the end as you dare. I was tracking on a tablet and ready to bid on my mobile. I got it by £1.50! Not cheap but the guy selling was being realistic. There's some on ebay looking for £700 + for this set which is very greedy. Grandson will be over the moon at Christmas.

Reactions: shelley262

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post what I eat Saturday, so will just go straight to Sinday.

Cheese on low carb toast for breakfast.
Tub of chibani greek yoghurt, cordial brew for smoko.
Indeterminate piece of pickled pork (it looks like it came from up the front end somewhere) cooked in the microwave for thirty minutes. green veggies for lunch. green jelly and a couple of spoonfuls of two fruits for lunch.
Left over pork and abit of salad stuff in low carb wrap for supper at six.

cJQ8bGS.jpg

d6WALxG.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for your auction win, @maglil55. I'm useless at these kind of things, but Neil has acted for me a few times - usually for archaic kitchen equipment. Both my boys look much younger than their years, when I compare them to other men around the place or on TV. They get it from my side of the family, from my father who, until the last few weeks of his life looked around 60 - he was in his 80's when he died. And despite all the scars, spots and wrinkles on my face, and my over-large body, folk still think I look around mid 50's. It's in the genes. Pity the body isn't helping to keep the myth going.

Had the chicken for my 2nd meal, but just threw a small handful of the slightly unpleasant frozen, skinny chips into the oven with some butter to make them taste better. Just couldn't be bothered to start chopping up vegetables.

Reactions: maglil55