What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs.

Not sure that I should call it breakfast because, as usual I was up at 3 am (old time), which I finally realised was 2 am due to the clocks going back and "breakfast" was around 11 am. I was breaking my fast, but the time was all wrong - more like brunch.

Lunch: Berries and double cream - around 4 pm.

Still didn't make the chicken pie filling. I was going to but, once again, I was feeling full and a bit more than slightly nauseous, so haven't bothered and I don't suppose I will feel like it in any reasonable time frame.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 25 October - bed 7.3 FBG 6 Last day of the school holidays and had the boys most of the day. They were going home to stay the night in their own house as a friend was going to stay. Youngest was a nightmare at ours but nothing compared to his behaviour at home. Let's say everyone's evening was ruined and no one got much sleep.

B. TAG and didn't have time for anything else.
L. Slice of SLC toast and salmon pate.
D. Eventually! Remains of the gammon from yesterday and coleslaw accompanied with a very large orange gin and diet lemonade which boy I needed!

This was also the evening that the Libre went rogue and shot up to an eventual high of 24. I was relieved it was totally wrong and grandson hadn't sent it through the roof!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness @maglil55 that Libre reading must have nearly given you a heart attack after your young grandson’s stressful behaviour earlier. Glad it turned out to be a rogue reading, will you contact them about it? I got a free one when I had a few stupidly low readings.
B- bacon, fried egg and the fried liver from the chicken we were having later. 1 slice LC toast.
L- very unmindful eating! 1/2 tub cottage cheese straight from the fridge and a SLC ‘not cross bun’ from freezer clear out yesterday.
D- roast chicken 2 types of lc stuffing ( I’m experimenting for Christmas) cauli cheese, leftover collard greens&bacon. A bit of Brie with M&S seedy crackers and 2 glasses red wine.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one each of slice bacon,fried egg and lc hm toast
Lunch a few walnuts,seed crackers, manchego cheese,celery and tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt
Mid pm two squares of 90% choc
Dinner roast brisket and cauliflower cheese with glass of red followed by DGF lc crumble

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 7.4 (ignoring the rogue) FBG 6.9

B. Nothing. Had to go to son's early as friend had to get to work and she couldn't get grandson in full meltdown to get dressed. I told him quite simply either get dressed or you'll be coming with me in your underpants. That did the trick as he knows I wasn't kidding. He'd had no sleep so there was no way he could go to school and he had one heck of a cough so he was planked on our couch where he could be watched.
L. Nothing had to get back from Physio to pick eldest up. Was going to cancel Physio but hubby told me to go to make sure everything was OK after my fall. Youngest had finally fallen asleep anyway.
D After picking up Mum & Dad with eldest (who had been an absolute star at school despite having had little sleep) collected youngest who was heading for an early dinner, bath, Ovaltine and a very early night! We were both exhausted and I settled for half a mug of cream of cauliflower, kale and leek soup with 3 M&S crackers with whipped cheese. Blueberries & Blackberries with cream.

Resisted the gin! Shower and early night as I was starting to feel unwell.

Wednesday bed 6.8 FBG 6.7. Full blown cold had settled in for Hubby & me again thanks to youngest who had been ill the previous week.

B. TAG
L. 3 M&S crackers with whipped cheese.
D. Rest of the cauliflower soup and a bacon sandwich on SLC bread (wanted something I could taste). Lots of water, shower, a coating of Vicks and another early night.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Phd protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and orange chia pudding with LC nutty granola.
Dinner: cheese on LC toast, realised I’d virtually made mini pizzas by the time I’d added a few extras, followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.
View attachment 51817
That looks good!

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couldn’t agree more about remembering loved ones through food made together. Many of my memories are of cakes sadly though - which may explain why quite a few of the family ended up with T2D!!

You’re right about the sugar - I can remember being taught always to add a teaspoon of sugar to tomato based sauces to ‘cut the acidity’
You didn't need sugar in Italy with their tomatoes. I was there a few times in tomato season. They'd be spread out on the roof (flat) to enjoy the sun for a while then, there was a major sugo making day and getting them bottled and stored to be used until the next tomato harvest. The bitterness was in the tinned tomatoes but, you could reduce it by squishing them when you removed them from the tin and discarding the harder end bit.

andre53

Fasted until 5pm.

Today I will drink red wine, rump, cheese.
Desert: strawberries with heavy cream.

These nutrients need to be eaten until 8pm.
Probably something between 1800 and 2500 kcal will be eaten.

Sunday... I think I deserve something related to my old free-meal days...

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couldn’t agree more about remembering loved ones through food made together. Many of my memories are of cakes sadly though - which may explain why quite a few of the family ended up with T2D!!

You’re right about the sugar - I can remember being taught always to add a teaspoon of sugar to tomato based sauces to ‘cut the acidity’
Spot on with cakes. When I was a youngster I remember the massive amount of work my Mum & Grandma put into baking for the church sale of work. They had the large bakers boards to transport them and they turned out rows and rows of identical individual cakes that even Paul Holywood couldn't have found fault with. Coconut covered pyramids (Lamingtons to you @Riva_Roxaban bur a different shape), Vanilla Slices, Merengues, Éclairs, Cream Horns, Rock Cakes, French Fancies, Fly Cemetery (Fruit Slice)....Our fingers would have been removed if we touched any of them. We would get cakes a bit more rough and ready with the leftover ingredients. My favourite was a strawberry jam puff. Homemade jam and leftover flaky pastry from the vanilla slices.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke early as body didn't know the clocks and gone back.
B: full fat greek with seeds (trying yeo yoghurt but don't like it's grainy texture. It's supposed to be extra creamy but not patch on the lidl I usually have)
L: slice of the homemade terrine with lettuce and cucumber and a tablespoon of salsa. 1 lc mini millionaire
D: slow cooked silverside with Brussels and courgettes and roasted celeriac chunks
2 sqs lidl 85% dark choc

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goodness @maglil55 that Libre reading must have nearly given you a heart attack after your young grandson’s stressful behaviour earlier. Glad it turned out to be a rogue reading, will you contact them about it? I got a free one when I had a few stupidly low readings.
B- bacon, fried egg and the fried liver from the chicken we were having later. 1 slice LC toast.
L- very unmindful eating! 1/2 tub cottage cheese straight from the fridge and a SLC ‘not cross bun’ from freezer clear out yesterday.
D- roast chicken 2 types of lc stuffing ( I’m experimenting for Christmas) cauli cheese, leftover collard greens&bacon. A bit of Brie with M&S seedy crackers and 2 glasses red wine.
I'm going to. I've had a few more "rogues". Very weird. It settles back down but I've now had about 4 unexplained large spikes that were just wrong. It drops just as suddenly then settles again. I've taken to carrying my test strips but I've used a lit more than I intended. Fortunately, I still have a few boxes left.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and gingerbread carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and some dark chocolate almonds.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, tomatoes for breakfast.
Low carb high protein bar, lemon cordial mix for smoko.
Smoked brisket reheated in the microwave, veggies and gravy for lunch.
Cocktail prawns and salad in a low car wrap for supper at six.

Not much fussed on smoked brisket, pleased we only got a small piece from the local butcher.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 and @Goonergal thanks for your comments, I agree, I’ve not been properly hungry since starting this woe so I must be more in tune with my body now I think. I’ve tried to concentrate on more nutrient dense food today ( apart from a glass or 2 of red wine this evening)
B- 3 eggs scrambled with a couple of mushrooms and chopped red pepper topped with grated parmesan.
L- in of tuna, h/m mayo on romaine lettuce leaves. DGF ginger cake. ( I found 8 boxes DGF cakes in the freezer today!)
D- large fatty pork chop and a very fatty slice of belly pork, both airfried served with a recipe I saw on Facebook ‘Collard greens with bacon’ it was very tasty. ( made with greens which I think are the same thing)
@Mrs T 123 I’ve seen that suggestion about cheese slices in lasagne, does it work well and which cheese did you use? I’ve also seen a ‘Pastry slice’ type recipe using 2 slices Gouda pressed together around a filling of cream cheese, ham, spinach etc then baked. I keep meaning to try that too.
@Antje77 I think your father would have been very happy being remembered in that way. My family have been trying to recreate my mum’s spag Bol for nearly 20yrs now but we’re no closer. Probably just as well as hers was quite sweet somehow.
@Debmcgee your dessert sounds lovely but how do you manage to melt and drizzle 1 square of chocolate without losing half round the sides of the container when pouring it out? I can never manage it.

I’ve had lots of practise! I use a mini spatula to scrape off every last bit of that chocolate heaven!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed & FBG 6.6. Busy day as I had the eye Pavilion. Eldest was off school as he had a sore throat and felt a bit off. Decided to keep him at home in case he was developing this cold.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. At Eye Pavilion
D. A bit tired what with the cold and a long afternoon at the eye Pavilion. Got a cary out of a burger with Applewood smoked cheese and salad (ditched the bun). Early night with paracetamol and water.

Eye Pavilion not too bad. I'd overlooked the fact that I'd seen the optician about a year before I'd been at the eye Pavilion thanks to lockdowns. Although the cataracts had worsened since my optician visit, there wasn't much change since the last hospital visit plus she said the new prescription has given me 20/20 vision in the left eye and the right isn't far behind. Yes they'll have to be dealt with but there's no rush.