What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glorious gluttony today. 3 meals!

B: egg, bacon, sausage, coffeencream
S: LC key lime cheesecake filling
L: 6 inch chipotle chicken sub - all the filling, and as little bread as possible. Ended up eating maybe half - which is approx 20g carbs
D: moussaka, stuffed with aubergine, tomato and courgette

oh, and there may have been 4 squares of 70%

Actually, I am still stuffed at nearly 11pm. Hope I can sleep!

It was lush.

Reactions: 10 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When you get carb/sugar cravings, you need to BURY them.
If you don't, then sooner or later they will get you!
lol.

My best foods for killing the cravings are these:
Cubes of full fat cheese
A stock cube in a mug of boiling water with a dash of double cream (instant cream of chicken soup)
Coffee with cream
A Full English Fry Up
A LC roast dinner (no mash, yorkies or roasties)
Berries and cream
A low carb hot choc drink (recipe below)

The goal is for your body to feel so full, and so satisfied, mainly because of the protein and fat in what you have eaten, that it smothers those silly scritchy little niggly cravings. Bury them under proper food, in decent portions, with good rich satisfying cream, butter, protein and stuff you enjoy. Don't stint on the portions.

It is much better to eat a few extra gorgeously satisfying low carb calories than to fall off the low carb wagon and have to claw your way back onto it in a day, a week or a month...

Low Carb Hot Choc
Boil kettle.
Add a heaped teasp of good quality cocoa powder to a big mug
Add 1.5 ish heaped teasp of sugar substitute to mug
Make the powders into a paste with a dribble of water (get rid of the lumps)
Add boiling water and stir until smooth
Top up with double cream.
Add caramel, lemon, orange or mint essences, if desired
Enjoy

All quantities adjustable
Love this approach Brun. Love you.

Only have Stevia drops - guess I can use them instead if powder.

Fell off wagon yesterday with teeny bit of birthday cake for 14-year-old. By God it was good. There was 350g choc, 250g cream and 200g condensed milk in that cake OOOOHHHH !!! Last BG 9.5 ... got on the cross trainer which usually gets it down ...

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
B: chocolate brownie mug cake. Wasn't nice. Ate half and threw the rest away :yuck:
L: Ugg bread toast, eggs, bacon
D: venison sausages, cauli & mushroom bake; orange and choc jelly:)
What is "Ugg bread"?

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

Glorious gluttony today. 3 meals!

B: egg, bacon, sausage, coffeencream
S: LC key lime cheesecake filling
L: 6 inch chipotle chicken sub - all the filling, and as little bread as possible. Ended up eating maybe half - which is approx 20g carbs
D: moussaka, stuffed with aubergine, tomato and courgette

oh, and there may have been 4 squares of 70%

Actually, I am still stuffed at nearly 11pm. Hope I can sleep!

It was lush.
Is 3 meals gluttony? :-/

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yesterday:
B: 2x coffee (with whole milk)
L: nothing
D: roast chicken and veg with gravy (ready to cook from Asda - it was on offer and sounded low carb, from the info.)
1/2 punnet grapes, 2 low fat yoghurts and 1 postage stamp sized piece of dark choc (reading shot up to 12.1 after that, so I think that'll be the grapes, have to cut those out and test again, to see if the choc is okay (it was small and 70% cocoa solids) I have already tested the chick & veg with gravy, it's not that.)
Today:
B:
NotLowCarbBrekkySM_zpsgstoqhtx.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is 3 meals gluttony? :-/

lol

I usually just have coffee and cream for breakfast, so then eat a light lunch and a bigger dinner.

Weekends it never seems to work out like that, and sometimes I have a big breakfast and then don't want lunch.

Yesterday I DID have trouble sleeping. Food overload.
Don't regret it for a minute though.
:wacky:

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
170oC for about 30 minutes. (It sounds a long time, but I find they don't come out of the muffin tins very easily if you bake them for less time. Oh, and this is for a fan oven. If yours isn't fan-assisted, they may take a little longer.)
They are also yummy with spring onions and/or bacon, but of course that increases the calories and carbs!
The same mixture makes a great potato-free topping for a cottage pie.
Enjoy! :)
Thank you, might try adding the bacon.:)

Reactions: 6 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Yesterday Sunday 13 / 3 /16
B 2 bacon / tomato / 1 slice of burgen bread
L Homemade butternut squash and leek soup with barley 1 pear
S 1 celery stick with Philadelphia cheese and ham spread
BG Reading at 9pm 5.1 only got to eat dinner at 9 30 pm.

Reactions: 8 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Day 2 of Week 2 of 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet
FBG: 4.6

Breakfast: asda Greek yoghurt with a teaspoon of Monin hazelnut sugar free syrup

Lunch: Cod wrapped in 2 slices of Lidl wafer thin Black Forest ham then baked with peppers, cherry tomatoes,fennel and broccoli all roasted together with a sprinkle of M&S smokey Firepit spices.

Work meal: (boring) bag of mixed salad leaves, raw sliced peppers, 3 cherry tomatoes, and some cold roast chicken.

Weirdly I have got calories left over from my 800 but I have gone over the carb limit that my body normally likes, so I'm going to use up the remaining calories on some 75% choc and see what happens to my BG with a few more carbs.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
But I want it - I want IT!!! Oh well, at least the coffee is keeping most of the pangs at bay.

On occasions that I haven't been able to be organised or can't think what to cook or just plain can't be a***d I have eaten ham, corned beef or deli style chicken straight out of the packet. On the deli counter at most supermarkets they sell the off-cuts from the other deli products really cheap and I always get that if they've got a good mix if off-cuts in it.

Reactions: 4 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Last night: lamb chops, green beans in butter and garlic (and a sneaky handful of "knepfle" - Alsatian noodle type things)
This morning: two pots of fromage blanc topped with whipped cream
Planned for lunch: salad (mix of lamb's lettuce and beetroot strands) with chicken liver confit
Planned for dinner: raclette

This weekend has seen more worry and stress heaped on to my plate and the temptation to fall off the wagon is very strong. But I'd be bitterly disappointed if I did. Need to hang on in there with easy no-brainer LCHF meals and snacks!!!

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: 2x slices burgen toast, coffee with cream.
L: kedgeree made with cauliflower rice cooked in microwave with cream and butter, smoked haddock, frozen peas, curry powder, ground ginger, garam masala, tomatoes, spring onions, boiled eggs.
D: mussels in white wine and cream sauce.
S: actimel drink, strawberries.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Was a bit low at lunch (for me) and really wanted something else to eat. Lots of temptation working in Covent Garden, but I've just found bars made with coffee beans. They taste better than chocolate/cocoa and have better carbs and caps. Happy.
Eh? more info please, like... are they available anywhere else? what are they called? stuff like that..
They sound lovely!

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
For breakfast I had 3 strawberries & 10 blueberries with a tablespoon of the delicious Stapleton's Greek Yoghurt. Lunch was 3 dark rye ryvita with a piece of cheese and small apple. Dinner tonight is tandoori chicken and salad. Having a physical day gardening so hoping bgs stay within range.

Reactions: 9 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will be taste testing Chocologic No Added Sugar Dark Chocolate later what with chocolate season about to start. It claims to be 2.5g (18.7 per 100g) carbs for 4 squares. 57 (432)calories. Comes in 80g sold in Tesco and other retail shops probably. I will be taste testing so long as my sugars are in my usual range.
Best not tell you today's food other than it was a nice break.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Porridge
Snack: Banana
Lunch: Sausages, broccoli and salad plus little pot fruit salad

D

debrasue

Will be taste testing Chocologic No Added Sugar Dark Chocolate later what with chocolate season about to start. It claims to be 2.5g (18.7 per 100g) carbs for 4 squares. 57 (432)calories. Comes in 80g sold in Tesco and other retail shops probably. I will be taste testing so long as my sugars are in my usual range.
Best not tell you today's food other than it was a nice break.
Oh, you are talking my language with the chocolate! I had been in deep mourning until now, thinking that I had to wave goodbye to chocolate forever, but this sounds PERFECT! I don't really like dark chocolate, but I can't ever risk milk chocolate again because I am totally addicted to it - one (delivery pallet) is never enough. With this, though, I can still get my chocolate 'hit' when everybody else is stuffing Easter eggs, and still stay on track. Brilliant! :)

D

debrasue

B: Ham & scrambled eggs
L: Half a tin of pink salmon, cucumber & salad leaves, raspberries & cream
D: Roast chicken, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, gravy; strawberries & Greek yoghurt with tsp Monin sugar-free caramel syrup
S: Oxo dissolved in boiling water (resisted the Barney Bear chocolate cake my 2-year-old granddaughter tried to force-feed me!)
Cals: 1348; carbs 46.6; BG - 5s across the board! :)
Going to try that sugar-free dark chocolate tomorrow - thanks @Kyi !

Reactions: 8 people