What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I add stuff to mine if it catches my eye at the time, I went through it a week or so ago and deleted a heap of stuff.

Me too. I just left 2 items that I really do want to get some time. And just added that one more, which isn't very expensive but is probably worth trying.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Plan was to go grocery shopping yesterday after my endo appointment.
Appointment went utterly wonderful, but i was knackered afterwards so I decided to postpone the groceries until today after swimming.
Forgot I didn't have time after swimming because they were coming to do something with my electricity meter so no groceries and had to steal from the guinea pig's stash.

Discovered kale soup is very tasty!
Kale, onion, some leek, garlic, a chilli pepper, some spices, stock cube and a chorizo sausage found in the freezer.
Good thing it tasted good, as there is enough left for two more days!

Next time I'll remember to wash the kale before cooking if not store bought, my kale was sold along the roadside. Good thing the sand tends to sink to the bottom, dogs and cat much enjoyed the last bit, sand and all! :hilarious:

254580902_10224600787201472_6139894388427163573_n.jpg

Kale soup was one of my husband's favourites, although I never added chilli to it. I'm sure he would have enjoyed that too. Haven't made it since he had a stomach peg fitted because he couldn't eat any more. Might just try that again. Looks good enough to make me want to cook.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kale soup was one of my husband's favourites, although I never added chilli to it. I'm sure he would have enjoyed that too. Haven't made it since he had a stomach peg fitted because he couldn't eat any more. Might just try that again. Looks good enough to make me want to cook.
After my father got his peg because he couldn't eat or drink anymore I started experimenting with (mainly Indonesian) spices a lot more, as he did enjoy smelling food.
He also took a cup of coffee through his peg every morning, he said it gave him a nice warm feeling inside! :)
When it finally was time to go for him it happened in my living room with help from his GP. We made sure to have the house smelling of the fresh cake in the oven to help make it a good time, and we shared it with the GP afterwards, her with a cup of coffee, as she was still working, myself and friends with something stronger. It is a good memory you just gave me, we did well.

Anyway, yes, make that kale soup!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: at noon today. Some cantaloupe melon, some chunks of banana with yoghurt.

No ingredients in for kale soup so it will have to be something else for 2nd meal. Maybe bacon and egg.

Neil's not happy about his returned washing from DIL's laundry. She used his special washing liquid, but he thinks he can still smell the commercial washing powder that she uses. I can't but I've told him to hang it up somewhere to air for a while to get rid of any smell that he can detect. I know that she used his own washing liquid and gave it extra rinses but I don't doubt him - his sense of smell is very sensitive; that's part of his aspergers, it seems, as is his determination to have things done his own way.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those stools look very interesting. So many to choose from though. I'll have to have a think about those. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of a high stool.

Ann, do you have occupational therapists on the islands? They're not just for occupational stuff, but when they were working with Mum, it was all about her living independently and critically, safely at home, even with her challenges. Some of their ideas were just fabulous.

They suggested things like using a basket (a bit like a chip basket) in the saucepan when she was boiling her potatoes. When cooked, she could turn off the heat, lift the basket from the pan (and get on with her meal), then deal with the pan of water late - ideally when cooled.

If you can, maybe see if you could achieve a referral? If that's not forthcoming from your GP, the Age UK also offer such services.

Listening to your challenges, I reckon a perching stool would suit you well. You can do anything from nearly ignoring it, to just leaning back onto it momentarily, to letting it take your weight whilst supervising something cooking. And of course, it needn't be restricted to use in the kitchen.

Mum's was very much like this one, with removable arms: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-use-...36563970&sprefix=perching+stool,aps,-1&sr=8-5

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast as straight out but did have a coffee as it was so damp today.
L: at a cafe, quiche with coleslaw and salad. Left the pastry. Whole thing bit bland. So difficult ro find soemthing to eat from a menu of sandwiches and rolls. Tried consoling myself with 3 bites of hubbys coffee cake, but even that was a bit bland and tasted of margarine.
When home drank a lc hot choclate, ate 2 yoghurt jellies then half a pack of pork scratchings. Should have made sure I had a filling lunch instead.
D:haddock on spinach with peppers and hm tomato sauce, served with carrots and swede. Trying to up my veg intake.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Completely agree!
Edit to add - I’m cross as yet again I forgot to save today’s DGF cake to watch GBBO with.
I could probably supply you! Like you I had 10 boxes in the freezer and I've just taken delivery of 6 boxes of cookies. Having discovered you can eat the cookies straight from the freezer they're not safe there. In fact, they're crisper straight from the freezer.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ann, do you have occupational therapists on the islands? They're not just for occupational stuff, but when they were working with Mum, it was all about her living independently and critically, safely at home, even with her challenges. Some of their ideas were just fabulous.

They suggested things like using a basket (a bit like a chip basket) in the saucepan when she was boiling her potatoes. When cooked, she could turn off the heat, lift the basket from the pan (and get on with her meal), then deal with the pan of water late - ideally when cooled.

If you can, maybe see if you could achieve a referral? If that's not forthcoming from your GP, the Age UK also offer such services.

Listening to your challenges, I reckon a perching stool would suit you well. You can do anything from nearly ignoring it, to just leaning back onto it momentarily, to letting it take your weight whilst supervising something cooking. And of course, it needn't be restricted to use in the kitchen.

Mum's was very much like this one, with removable arms: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-use-...36563970&sprefix=perching+stool,aps,-1&sr=8-5
I got one from the discharge response team when I was released after my surgery on my spine. Trouble was the seat on mine was tilted forward and, without much sensation in my legs and feet I kept sliding off it! That one looks much better.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar (can’t eat my usual chia pudding as the seeds would get stuck in my tooth socket :nailbiting:)
Dinner: roast chicken with Brussels, runner beans and a couple of baby carrots followed by SF jelly and cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7 2 FBG 7.3. Tender arm disappearing so this Moderna jab has been successful. Cough is finally going too.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with the last of the salmon mousse.
L. Ended up having 200 mls of this probiotic coconut milk I found in Sainsbury's. It's only 2g carbs per 100 mls but it's very addictive. I only bought one to try but I'll be buying more.
D Didn't much feel like cooking as I'd made Mac, cheese and "bits" for Hubby and the boys. Ended up with a SLC bacon and egg sandwich and a V8 juice. Accidentally had 2 DGF cookies - one choc chip and one lemon.
Screenshot_20211110-201505_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of yoghurt, lemon cordial mix for smoko.
Red Rooster chicken, veggies and gravy for lunch.
Leftover chicken in low carb wraps for supper six.

I have to dodge the crowd when I go into town this morning, when I made my appointment to sign my documents I forgot it was Remembrance day, and there would be a service due at the war memorial just up from where I have to go.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could probably supply you! Like you I had 10 boxes in the freezer and I've just taken delivery of 6 boxes of cookies. Having discovered you can eat the cookies straight from the freezer they're not safe there. In fact, they're crisper straight from the freezer.

I wish you hadn’t told me that! I still haven’t tried the cookies, now I’m thinking I’d better not.
I do still have loads of cakes in the freezer so I still have supplies, but I only allow myself one a day and I’d already eaten it by GBBO sadly.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(can’t eat my usual chia pudding as the seeds would get stuck in my tooth socket :nailbiting:)

Thank goodness you can still have your coconut porridge at breakfast- that’s pretty much a perfect food in this situation I expect.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning. 30 min yoga stretches and a couple of dog walks.
L- pate on lc toast.
Mid aft- DGF cake and tea.
Hilly dog walk and 30 min Hiit session.
D- pork tenderloin cooked sous vide, mushroom and blue cheese sauce, broccoli. Found some of last years blackberries in the freezer so blackberry ice cream for pud.
Bg is 7 after all that which has made me feel quite downhearted. Was hoping for a lot lower.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got one from the discharge response team when I was released after my surgery on my spine. Trouble was the seat on mine was tilted forward and, without much sensation in my legs and feet I kept sliding off it! That one looks much better.

The slight forward tilt is deliberate in them, and designed to help the rising from and lowering to the seat. I can appreciate how it could be tricky with reduced lower body sensations.

Hopefully your folks managed to help you out at the time. There are some ingenious living aids out there. Mum was dead against all such things until she tried a couple and almost immediately felt more secure in performing tasks that had previously been a bit daunting.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some ingenious living aids out there. Mum was dead against all such things until she tried a couple and almost immediately felt more secure in performing tasks that had previously been a bit daunting.
We have got a jar opener we bought from one of those shonky inserts that get put in magazines for $10.00, it fits several standard jars.

It make it a breeze to get the child proof lid of these tablets although you still need to put some effort in to get it of. Because I do it with bottle upside down to get the lid off, I have to be careful that I do spill 100 little blue tablets everywhere.

t905QQj.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning. 30 min yoga stretches and a couple of dog walks.
L- pate on lc toast.
Mid aft- DGF cake and tea.
Hilly dog walk and 30 min Hiit session.
D- pork tenderloin cooked sous vide, mushroom and blue cheese sauce, broccoli. Found some of last years blackberries in the freezer so blackberry ice cream for pud.
Bg is 7 after all that which has made me feel quite downhearted. Was hoping for a lot lower.
Mine's been doing that to me too! I'm blaming the weather or the changeof clocks!!

Reactions: DJC3