What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The day started well enough with egg mayo for breakfast, but after that it deteriorated - more of the ready made stuff. Why did I continue eating it and not just throw it in the bin? No idea. I knew it would do me no good - tasted like blotting paper anyway, but I just soldiered on. More fool me. Now I am feeling very nauseous and berating myself for being stupid. Also haven't had enough to drink today so have to try to fill up before I go to bed. On top of everything, the house is very cold and so am I and I have a runny nose! I don't blame life though - it's all my own doing.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Life get tee-just don't it?...

Hope you are feeling a bit better today @Riva_Roxaban. :sorry:

BG this morning - after yesterday's nonsense - was 18.6! Took a correction dose at 5 am and it has now come down to 4.9 (8.40 am). So far I've had 2 cups of tea (plus pills of course taken with 2 tsp yoghurt) and will make myself an egg salad.

Today's job is to keep myself motivated enough to make some kale soup for later.

AGC_68

So far today:

Breakfast: Greek Yoghurt mixed with a scoop of sugar free, chocolate protein powder, with a few blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds and chopped walnuts and almonds.

Lunch: Omelette made with 2 eggs, olive oil, garlic, turmeric, cumin and chilli flakes, a VERY big chunk of broccoli sliced very thin, mushrooms, spinach, some extra mature cheddar and raw red onions. Very filling thanks to all the veggies. Looked huge but not high in calories or carbs.

Post lunch treat: 4 small squares of 100% cocoa chocolate, no added sugar

Later today:
Dinner: planning to have a chicken salad - 1/4 of a chicken, roasted aubergines, red cabbage, spinach, broccoli, red onions, a dressing made from Greek yoghurt mixed with minced garlic, mined fresh chillies, salt, finely chopped fresh parsley and olive oil.

AGC_68

Wispa, boost, magnum bar, sarnie, kettle chips, Maynard gums, beans on toast. In a state of denial. Waiting on follow up app at gp. A1c was 94, last finger test 16. Finding hard to adjust until I get diagnosis

Craig, I can really understand that! I grew up with so much chocolate in the house, as my mum worked for a large well known chocolate manufacturer. I've always had a sweet tooth, not surprisingly LOL. I did use the T2 diagnosis to motivate me to change my diet drastically. I really recommend the LCHF approach, when it is done right you're eating lots of tasty food with healthy fats, non starchy veg and enough protein for your requirements. I started eating to influence my blood sugar, I found it really useful at first to measure my BG with a glucometer fairly often to see the effects of what I ate and my physical activity. For me several things helped after my diagnosis of T2:
  • I changed to LCHF from a diet that had a lot of carbs (big bread lover as well as choc and sweets )
  • I reduced my calorie intake significantly using the Newcastle protocol for 12 weeks (around 800 calories a day, more on very physically active days though as I am very active)
  • I would check the consequences of my activity and diet on my blood sugar and my weight
  • If I had to give in to my sweet tooth once in a while I'd make sure it was a sugar free option. There are a lot of really good sweets with sugar substitutes, you can find ones that suit you.
  • I restricted the times that I would eat. When on 800 calories a day, I would have 2 main meals a day, a brunch with lots of non starchy veg, healthy fats and a decent amount of protein. Very filling, but low on carbs. Then an evening meal at about 6 or 7 PM. No food after that.
  • I'd get some activity in every day, a walk, a HIIT workout, or perhaps some resistance training. Whatever I felt like on a given day. I'd make sure I could do the workout by keeping it simple and not devoting ridiculous amounts of time to it. If I felt tired I'd relax and do something the next day.
  • I told all my friends and family what I was doing so they would understand my changes in diet and support me.
  • After 12 weeks on the 800 calories/day, I had lost 2 stone, my fasting and post meal blood glucose were totally different to before. My initial A1C was 60 in Sept. My fasting levels in mmol/L were down to the low 5s most days , sometimes in the 4s (from initially being in the 8s), my BG 2 hours post meal were in the 6s (from initially being as high as 14 at times).
  • Now I eat 3 meals a day, minimal snacking, nothing after my evening meal still LCHF, enough calories to maintain my new lower bodyweight. I check my weight and BG a few times a week to ensure I'm not drifting and make changes if I have to to get back to the right levels. I don't miss the carbs anymore or the sweets and chocs. I find the improved BG and weight motivating. I like the taste of the food I eat and how full it makes me. I find alternatives at restaurants when I go out with friends and family, there's always something.
Throw out all the naughty stuff mate and stock up on what you need for LCHF. I'd post some links to books I found helpful and YouTube videos here, but I find the forum software seems to think that I might be spamming if I include links even this website's own Newcastle Protocol link gets treated as potential spam LOL.

Give it a go mate. And do not be hard on yourself, one bad day is just one bad day. Make the next one better. When you start to see really good progress you'll start sticking to a good protocol. Slowly you'll see things change for the better. Do not panic and do not despair. There is plenty of time to make things better. There are lots of people here in the same boat, and great support and advice, it is a great resource. The very best of luck to you

I forgot to add my next A1C test is not until March next year, but I'm expecting a big change from 60 given my BG measures. Also there are some support services available from the NHS that you will get your details forwarded to by your GP. But they take a LONG time to get in touch - months. By the time I was contacted I had luckily managed to get it under control myself. This site and its forums would have helped keep me motivated I'm sure. Check out the Newcastle protocol link on this website and use this LCHF forum to start making changes. If you want a pointer to some books with easy recipes to help there is a forum here dedicated to that .. PM me if you want to know the book I used as a starting point. Good luck mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My own small victory (over myself): actually chopped veg and made kale soup! That will be my evening meal. I didn't have any stock to hand (although I know there is some chicken stock in the freezer) so used a vegetable stock pot. One small onion, one small piece of swede, one carrot, one stick celery and half a panful of shredded kale in butter and oil plus the stock. When it's done I'll add peas. It's not a huge pot of soup, but it won't put the BG up and there will be enough for breakfast tomorrow.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another two meal a day - seem to have shifted to this daily routine currently.
Lunch one each of slice of bacon,egg and a few mushrooms with one hm lc roll followed by a few nuts and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner slow cooked game casserole served with roasted celeriac followed by lc warmed blondie served with yoghurt.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was AWOL yesterday visiting daughter in London for the day.
So yesterday:
Early Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Mid morning: coffee shop coconut cappuccino and a Carb Killa bar.
Lunch at one of the London Flat Iron steak restaurants: steak with roast cauliflower and creamy mushroom sauce.
Mid afternoon: black coffee
Dinner: spicy fried chicken with homemade guacamole, coleslaw and salsa followed by strawberries and cream.

Today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar
Dinner: Liver and onions with Brussels, broccoli and LC rosemary and sea salt focaccia followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; lc granola, 2 slices hi lo with butter
Snack;s mocha, some montezuma dark buttons.
Lunch; cheese, meats, spoon of potato salad, cucumber and tomatoes, fibre one protein bar.
Dinner; lamb casserole, sprouts, carrots, green beans and one tiny yorkshire pudding, raspberries and small spoon of baileys cream.

Braved morrisons today, it was packed with people either buying early for Christmas (!) or stocking up before storm Barra! Bought some mince pies and shortbread for carb eating guests and can honestly say the aisles of christmas goodies didn't do much for me!

Reactions: Annb and shelley262

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two Mexican sausages, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial and osomolax mix for smoko.
Roast pork and veggies, gravy at the Brothers club for lunch.
Two slices of vegimite toast, tub of low sugar orange jelly, two spoon fulls of lemon / lime sorbet for supper at six.

Got a link for the Diabetes Qld summer edition of "Circle" magazine by email yesterday, some interesting stuff regarding all types of diabetes here in Queensland.

There are a load of recipes as well, not to many low carb but seeing as most of you are a creative lot, it should not be to hard to swap out the carby stuff for something else..

It's got a crossword puzzle as well.

https://view.publitas.com/diabetes-australia/28-circle-summer-qld-2021/page/1

Reactions: Annb and shelley262

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch- 3 egg cheese omelette and salad. Few raspberries and cream.

Dinner - so disappointed in The low Carb Co beef and celeriac pie - it was really quite horrible. The filling was just a grey sludge with no obvious chunks of meat, the whole thing had a slimy texture, I definitely won’t be getting these again but hopefully it will have put the brakes on my current spell of buying ready prepared food. I always cooked from scratch before dx and would never have bought a shop pie so I’ve no idea why I’ve started doing that sort of thing now. Had it with buttered cabbage and some of those mixed fancy mushrooms sautéed in butter. 2 glasses red to try and salvage some enjoyment from the meal.
That's not good news. I'm awaiting one of each. Still, at least I'll find out what mix they are using in their pastry.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the warning - I was just looking at that pie on their website. Must try to make my own low carb pastry.
I have a mix that tastes like pastry, but I can't get any rise in it. I've been meaning for ages to try a rough puff method on it with butter, but I haven't had the time with everything else that was going on in my life.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoying wearing a libre. 18 months on from diagnosis I still have so many questions and it is good to see some answers.
Work hungrynso planned breakfast but never got round to it, unless you count the small chunk of manchego cheese I grabbed before exercise class.
Class was very active today so interesting to see bg rise adult 3 point but not for long.

L: my first ever try of Hi lo bread. Used as the toast for cheese on toast. Haven't really missed bread except as cheese on toast. It was OK, but the area of the small slices doesn't allow for much cheese, no matter how high I piled it. Expected a spike but only got a blip. Did have some ff greek mixed with the brandy cream and a few chopped almonds, yummy but far too moreish. Again only a blip not a spike.

An hours dancing resulted in steady drop for the next 3 hours.

Funny how fast fasted exercise in the morning raised bg, yet moderate exercise after lunch lowered it. So many variables to test.

D: frittata of chorizo and buttered cabbage with a side salad and 3 chips

9 pm a snack of several spoons of the brandy cream (very addictive) Using the excuse of testing late night eating (believe that and you'll believe anything!)

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
9 pm a snack of several spoons of the brandy cream (very addictive) Using the excuse of testing late night eating (believe that and you'll believe anything!)
Perfect excuse, no point in wearing the Libre without doing some enjoyable experimenting!

Reactions: Rachox and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday 2 December - bed 7.9 FBG 7.8.

Apart from schoolwork, busy with grandson making the annual decoration to hang up at school. These tiny snowman hands were a nightmare!

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.
L. Some of the coconut milk.
D. Made curry for Hubby and the boys. I made one of these Iceland wild shrimp with added cauliflower rice, spinach, mushroom, tomato, spring onion. Normally I'd use Thai red curry, but I still had some spices and paste from the boy's korma, so I used that instead. Worked quite well.
DGF lemon cookie.

Friday 3 December - Bed 7.3 FBG 7.9

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with whipped cheese.
L. Nothing - headed out to get the things I couldn't get with my delivery tomorrow.
D. Courgetti carbonara. Blackberries and a spoonful of brandy cream.

@Mrs T 123 - have you received your DGF yet?
20211202_162031.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thursday 2 December - bed 7.9 FBG 7.8.

Apart from schoolwork, busy with grandson making the annual decoration to hang up at school. These tiny snowman hands were a nightmare!

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.
L. Some of the coconut milk.
D. Made curry for Hubby and the boys. I made one of these Iceland wild shrimp with added cauliflower rice, spinach, mushroom, tomato, spring onion. Normally I'd use Thai red curry, but I still had some spices and paste from the boy's korma, so I used that instead. Worked quite well.
DGF lemon cookie.

Friday 3 December - Bed 7.3 FBG 7.9

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with whipped cheese.
L. Nothing - headed out to get the things I couldn't get with my delivery tomorrow.
D. Courgetti carbonara. Blackberries and a spoonful of brandy cream.

@Mrs T 123 - have you received your DGF yet? View attachment 52371

Love the snowman!

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Some of the kale soup from yesterday.

2nd meal: prawn cocktail with chicken instead of prawns (since I am phobic about prawns). Very tasty and I could have eaten more, but had only made a small amount of Marie Rose sauce and used it all. Just have to make do with what I've had.

Been making up recipes and actually noted them down so that when I do feel energetic enough, I can try them. I am going to try eating almonds to see if I've grown out of that intolerance yet. If I can take it, it will open up a whole range of recipes.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's not good news. I'm awaiting one of each. Still, at least I'll find out what mix they are using in their pastry.

I’ll be interested to see what you think of it. Good news today though - latest order of DGF cakes arrived without a holiday in Peterborough. My daughter, who is a nurse, is going to take a box of the Christmas mixed cakes to work for her colleagues - a couple have T2 diabetes and quite a few are overweight. She’s trying to convert them!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning - 1 leftover grilled chicken thigh.
Lunch- more leftovers: spoonful of cauliflower cheese and the last scrap of weekend brisket. Advent pack of Cheesies.
Dinner - 2 goodly sized pork chops and green beans. Advent choc (100% black)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CAD4A275-E509-4A2E-8DD1-0334D8F120CD.jpeg
Lunch three eggs scrambled with butter and half a hm lc roll followed by a few nuts and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner fried some cauliflower rice with a bit of spring onion and turmeric see photo looked like pilau rice - to serve with a hm chicken curry followed by a DGF Christmas orange brownie- yum the peel was almost bitter very enjoyable and served it with yoghurt
Also had glass of soda water with dash of dry white wine while watching the news - needed it !