What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll give the beetroot one try - just cook it and eat it and it will either be a no no or a yes yes.
Cook just a little of it alongside something you know you like to give it a try! That way you won't be without food if you don't like it, and if you do like it you can use the rest for a real meal. :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch two boiled eggs and slice of hm lc bread followed by yoghurt, a few nuts and two squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads followed by my first DGF alternative lc mince pie - delicious tasted very festive I added a few drops of brandy though as love brandy flavour!spoon of cream also added to warmed ‘mince’ pie.
My Christmas will start officially on Thursday when - crossing fingers - I get my new front teeth. Oh no you’ll all be singing again! After paying for them mind you I may not be as pleased!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been getting brandy cream in Sainsburys but most of the supermarkets will have it in now for Christmas. Sainsburys have compounded the issue - I got an expresso martini cream this week

I briefly looked the other day, but those I saw were significantly sweetened.

I think I'll try to do grown-up clotted cream. In fact, we have the feeding of the five thousand here at the weekend, so may have a dry run before that. :hungry:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snack before gym
Mug of tea & 15g porridge & almond milk
B/ salmon steak, 3 scrambled eggs, black coffee & coconut oil
L: roast turkey salad, homemade low carb banana & walnut bread & butter
D/ homemade chilli with a whole avocado
S/f jelly, sunflower seeds, pecans & cream

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble is, I just don't like beetroot - ever since, at the age of 4 I was forced to sit and eat it, along with undressed lettuce and Spam when I had to stay for school lunch one day when my brother was in hospital with polio. Couldn't swallow it then and never tried again. Buying these this time was for a recipe which I presumably thought would be an improvement on just beetroot, so it would be an experiment to see if I could eat it. I don't think borscht is going to be the way for me. Might cook them with some onion and lemon, and maybe some apple to disguise the taste a bit.

So far, I've had some more smoked salmon salad with the last of the Marie Rose sauce.

Later it will be fish again - I have some haddock which Neil bought for me and which I will need to use up, so I'll shallow fry that in butter and have some salad with that.

Coincidentally, on Saturday I had a Tartar de Remolacha. It was basically grated cooked beetroot and orange onion, pressed into a ring m
ould, with a slice of goat's cheese on top. Quite delicious!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Coincidentally, on Saturday I had a Tartar de Remolacha. It was basically grated cooked beetroot and orange onion, pressed into a ring m
ould, with a slice of goat's cheese on top. Quite delicious!

That actually sounds really good! Em's dad came in to pick her up and he says he likes just to roast it leaving the skins on. They peel easily once cooked. That's what I'm doing with them. He'll have the rest, if I really can't eat them. I am also roasting onions alongside.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to suggest roosting the beetroot, or I like them grated raw, but just a little.

B: 2 scrambled eggs with a lot of ham
Exercise class, followed with a cup of ginger tea and a piece of lc coffee cake. Everyone else was on the mince pies.
L: a bit of cheese, a Kind nut bar and 2 squares 85% chocolate. Bg went to 9. Think it's the nut bar. Only 7,5 g carbs stated on the label but i do think it raises me too much. Can't see anything specific on the label but won't be buying them again when this box of 3 is finished.
Bit of a pain because they were easy to carry around

D: chicken ham and chard pie made with fat head dough. Boys had pasties from real pastry. Tried making cheese sticks from the leftover dough but wasn't very successful. And bg went to 9 again, but have had busy stressful day

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Mini lunch (visiting Mum so ate just to keep her company!) A small packet of Cheesies and some pistachios.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar
Dinner: salt and pepper ribs with broccoli and green beans followed by SF jelly and cream.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three bbq sausages, two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial / osmolax mix for smoko.
Mild curried pork belly pieces and green veggies for lunch.
JO's fish cakes for supper at six.

We got the curry mix from the Indian neighbour, she offered to cook it but I told her it had pig meat in it so she could not touch it because of her religion.

She thanked us for telling her.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is, I'm trying to grow up and face up to my phobias. Beetroot is one of them. Never having eaten it in the last 72 years, who knows? I might feel able to add it to my diet. It didn't work with the tinned crab, of course and I haven't managed to face the idea of prawns or lobster yet. There seem to be quite a few foods that I turn my nose up at without ever really having tried them, which does restrict me a bit.

I'll give the beetroot one try - just cook it and eat it and it will either be a no no or a yes yes.

It's no no! The rest will go to No 2 son.

Reactions: Antje77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
lunch - leftover roast duck in a LoDough wrap with cranberry chutney (KetoFitnessClub) and salad. DGF cake.
Dinner - at daughters house to celebrate her birthday. They’d all decided on KFC t/a so I took a LC pizza base and topped with Tom purée, mozzarella, chorizo, olives and red pepper. Another DGF cake in lieu of BD cake. 2 glasses champagne. Thank goodness this WOE doesn’t stop me having that!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today
Tough PT session in the park this morning, I never dare eat first.
Lunch - air fried chicken leg, coleslaw made with grated celeriac and cabbage.
Mid aft - Advent Cheesies, Advent 100% choc
Dinner- huge pork chop air fried with roast veg ( aubergine, courgettes, mushrooms) followed by DGF Crimbo Crumble, warm with cream. I absolutely love this one.
Lots of tea and coffee. Off to dentist tomorrow as half of a tooth fell out last night, no visits from the tooth fairy sadly.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with one hm lc roll followed by yoghurt and two squares of 90%chocolate and some nuts
Dinner loin of lamb with salads and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF choc orange brownie with cream.
@DJC3 hope dentist goes well tomorrow thinking of you it’s my turn on Thursday

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That actually sounds really good! Em's dad came in to pick her up and he says he likes just to roast it leaving the skins on. They peel easily once cooked. That's what I'm doing with them. He'll have the rest, if I really can't eat them. I am also roasting onions alongside.

It really was. The salty goat's cheese was a delightful bite.

One day, I'll try to recreate it, although, like you, my OH isn't a big fan of beetroot.. All the more for me! :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a caramel PE bar
Dinner: Keralan chicken curry with cauli rice followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast before fast exercise class. Like last week bg rises anyway.

Busy day trying to get jobs done and Christmas planned, so no actual meals just bites on the run
L: 90 second bread with 2 cheeses from advent calendar. Yogurt with chopped almonds and brandy cream (last of, must NOT buy any more)

D: some cheese while cooking for boys.
2 brandies with soda (trying to find a long drink that's lc)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Middle bacon, three egg omeltte, mushrooms, tomatoes,for breakfast.
No smoko this morning as I had the new nurse navigator paying me a visit.
Late lunch, shoulder lamb chops, veggies, gravy, green low sugar jelly and a couple of spoon fulls of lemon / lime sorbet.
Cheese on low carb toast for supper at six.

The new nurse navigator asked a lot of questions that my other one did not ask. It looks like I might be getting a shower chair shortly as she feels it's dangerous for me if my leg gives way when I am in the shower.

I will post some other stuff in the other thread she wanted to know.