What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, today I had the end slice of a wholemeal loaf as toast. Probably half as much again in carbs as a single slice, so about 30 grams. BG has been pretty high all day.

But, silly me, I decided to go ahead with the frozen potato experiment and made fish cakes with left-over fish (salmon and haddock), left over roasted onions, frozen mashed potato (about 1/4 potato to fish and onion) and one egg to hold it all together. Tasted great. I made 6 smallish cakes and kept 3 back for tomorrow. BG rose to 15.9 but now - 31/2 hours later, has only dropped to 14.6. It might work for chips, but it doesn't seem to work for mash! I enjoyed them though.

And that's with my usual extra large dose of insulin.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: the remaining 3 fish cakes with 2 fried eggs on top.

2nd meal: will be lamb cutlets with spiced cauliflower and some onions. Must start prepping the cauliflower and onions before I run out of steam.

A bit more energetic today since Em didn't come in. She couldn't go to school today because someone in her brother's class at the Nicolson Institute has tested positive to covid so his whole class is having to self isolate until they have 2 negative tests, along with their families. Em and her family have, so far, had one negative test each. Not sure what we do if any of them test positive - in terms of getting me to Inverness on Monday. That's selfish of me, I know. Of course, I'd be very sad if any of them go down with the virus.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I made chocolaty nut squares some 4 days ago for the first time in months. I had been really looking forward to eating them (made a big batch to freeze in portions) but they didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered them. Very disappointing.
Blamed my cold and hoped they would taste better in a couple of days.

Until last night, right on the verge of sleeping, it suddenly dawned on me I hadn't put any butter in. :bag:
No wonder they didn't taste as good as before, leaving out 200 grams of butter from a recipe is bound to be disappointing!
So today I re-melted them, this time with the butter. :)
It will take a bit longer to cool enough to cut into squares but that's alright, I'll have a very yummy midnight snack tonight!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it seems to be a very clingy cold which doesn't want to leave me, it's been with me for over a week now! :mad:
Have you tested for Covid? They say, the Omicron symptoms are cold-like, and Londoners are being told that if they think they have a cold it's more likely to be Covid.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it suddenly dawned on me I hadn't put any butter in. :bag:
No wonder they didn't taste as good as before, leaving out 200 grams of butter from a recipe is bound to be disappointing!
I made a similar mistake with my normally tasty cheesy fritters (linseed meal, turmeric / curry powder, egg plus lots of extra mature grated Cheddar. I forgot all about the cheese. Couldn't understand why my fritters were like dry tasteless biscuits. I only realised too late, when I had eaten all my disappointing meal.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tested for Covid? They say, the Omicron symptoms are cold-like, and Londoners are being told that if they think they have a cold it's more likely to be Covid.
Of course I have, twice, with a couple of days in between!
Slowly starting to improve. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I made chocolaty nut squares some 4 days ago for the first time in months. I had been really looking forward to eating them (made a big batch to freeze in portions) but they didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered them. Very disappointing.
Blamed my cold and hoped they would taste better in a couple of days.

Until last night, right on the verge of sleeping, it suddenly dawned on me I hadn't put any butter in. :bag:
So today I re-melted them, this time with the butter. :)
It will take a bit longer to cool enough to cut into squares but that's alright, I'll have a very yummy midnight snack tonight!

Enjoy!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning, coffee with cream
Late lunch : had dragged hubby out shopping in the promise we'd have lunch out. Trouble was we were trying a recommended restaurant, Asian, that turned out to have a set lunch menu and I made poor choices. Should have gone for the curry as the rice came in the side, but I went for a noodle dish and everything was mixed together. Very tasty but sweet and sticky.
Luckily I'm currently wearing a libre and the vision of the sharp spike that is still not back to my average 6 will remain with me for a long time.
Trying to mitigate it by not eating again today... but there were some reduced profiteroles in M&S (£6 down to £1) that leapt into my basket.
Boys are helping me out by eating most of them. I'm hiding the effects of one in the high readings from the noodles...
This is exactly the Christmas situation that I'm wearing the libre for. Without it I might be tempted to compound the carb fest, but seeing the effect immediately is really motivating.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch one hm lc roll with some cheese and nuts followed by three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner venison meatballs in hm tomato sauce and mushrooms with garlic lc bread and glass of red wine followed by DGF mince pie with extra thick cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of running errands.
Brunch - packet of M&S rollitos
Early aft - tin of mackerel in olive oil with salad. Montezuma’s 100% choc
Late dinner - IP lamb and mushroom curry with cauli rice. DGF cranberry and orange blondie.

Mouth is still a bit numb after dentist but hopefully my tooth is now happy, my bank account certainly isn’t.
Good luck with yours tomorrow @shelley262
@Alexandra100 I like the sound of those cheesy fritters ( with the cheese included!) do you just mix everything together and fry dollops of it?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 opposite situation here. My Libre fell off while I was away at the weekend so I’m in blissful ignorance (denial?) about any off piste wanderings, or even excess consumption of on piste fare.

Bit of a hotch potch today. Hungry first thing (got too used to hotel breakfasts) so ate bacon, eggs and sausages. Lunch was air fried pork belly pieces plus too much Lindt 90% and Fage 0%. I may also have bought some almond butter, but miraculously most of the jar remains. No dinner as such, just some more yoghurt. And did someone mention crisps? They need to go!

Nice shoulder of lamb defrosting for a hopefully more on plan day tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Must be the month for dental stuff, my socket from extraction took a long time to heal but is all good now, but hubby knocked a front tooth out at the weekend, so dentist this morning has fitted a temporary crown which looks better than the tooth looked!

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar
Dinner: deconstructed cheese burger and salad followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

4E84D53C-835F-4194-B536-EF4844E44B46.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the hug @Antje77 , but I don’t need it at the moment, much as I love a hug, so I’ll pass it on to hubby!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner (out at Toby Carvery) - 1 slice of roast pork, turkey, gammon & roast beef with cauliflower cheese, brussel sprouts, green beans & a little carrot (I had forgot to pour a little gravy over it but I didn't bother as it is probably quite carby) - although I wasn't all good as I probably had a larger portion than I should have but I did enjoy it! :hungry:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hard boiled eggs, two slices of low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Just my usual lemon cordial drink for smoko.
Cold chicken legs and a mixed salad, green jelly for lunch.
Baked beans on toast for supper at six as they will not kill me. :joyful:

Let it all hang out...

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the hug @Antje77 , but I don’t need it at the moment, much as I love a hug, so I’ll pass it on to hubby!
Pass on a hug from me too I know how it feels having knocked both of my front teeth out as a teenager in an accident. I’m still paying after years of first temporary crowns and then supposedly permanent crowns which were replaced regularly! Now on the tooth implant route hopefully final fit in am and would hate to calculate the cost of my accident over the years. @DJC3 like you my bank balance won’t be happy but I can’t wait to have the job done!

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Broke my fast at 12.30 with a few bits of cold lamb, left over from yesterday.

Later I will have some fish with the remaining cauliflower - might put a bit more spice with it - it was a bit bland yesterday. Have to choose between salmon and haddock - both of which Neil bought for me this morning. Quite fancy some chunky fish fingers - with some kind of low carb batter.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Pass on a hug from me too I know how it feels having knocked both of my front teeth out as a teenager in an accident. I’m still paying after years of first temporary crowns and then supposedly permanent crowns which were replaced regularly! Now on the tooth implant route hopefully final fit in am and would hate to calculate the cost of my accident over the years. @DJC3 like you my bank balance won’t be happy but I can’t wait to have the job done!

The first tooth that I lost was a front one - hit in the face with a netball and it cracked the tooth, which became infected and had to come out. Had to walk around without a front tooth for a while until my first false plate was made. You can imagine what that meant to a 14 year old girl. I didn't smile for 3 weeks and even then, I was aware of the plastic tooth and developed a kind of crooked smile. Of course, over the years, wear from the false plate damaged my other teeth and extra plastic was added. I don't suppose that netball was the only cause, but it was the start!

At least I can bite, after a fashion and chew, after a fashion. But I can't get on with anything too crunchy.

Reactions: maglil55