1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are reminding me of the time when we had goats, but no vehicle but wanted to travel to an agricultural show on the other side of the Island. One of our goat keeping friends had a largish kind of van so 3 goat keepers, 2 human kids and 5 goats piled in to the van and set off. Shan't take up space on this thread with the story, but I might put it on the parallel thread.

Breakfast: bacon and eggs

2nd meal: I checked the shopping that Neil bought yesterday and realised that the chicken was right on its use-by date. That's very bad of Tescos. It should, at least, have had a red label to designate it as short-dated. So I had to cook it right away. Chucked it in the oven with a whole load of garlic because I really didn't feel like doing anything else. So that, cold, will be today's meal with some more salad (simple tomato and cucumber salad) which won't take much to do. The rest will probably go into the freezer. Only problem, thinking about that, is that the day and the house are both very cold and cold chicken salad doesn't really appeal.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just chuck the piece of chicken you want to eat in the frying pan for a couple of minutes to reheat right before eating so you'll have warm chicken with your salad!
    You can even fry the cucumber and tomato together with the chicken and have it together. :)
    Brilliant story! https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ten-parallel-chat.177870/page-75#post-2469122

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Evening all. Cooked the most delicious piece of pork belly today. A bargain too - £3 a kilo for bone-in pork belly at Morrison’s today.

Managed to get the crackling crispy and keep the meat very moist and tender. Yum! Then a dessert of melted Lindt 90% and unpasteurised butter mixed and poured over Brazil nuts and pistachios and then refrigerated. Very moreish.

26CA0450-471F-4377-BD3D-E6EE3D416766.jpeg 93E564AF-C9F5-4B88-B33D-EFA0E394CAC3.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I ended up giving in to the cold and put a heater on in the kitchen, so cold chicken salad was OK. Quite enjoyed it, actually. But I do like the idea of heating some chicken with the cucumber and tomatoes, so I might just keep enough out of the freezer to do that tomorrow.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Lunch was M&S hot smoked salmon slices, 2 Hb eggs and chilli sauerkraut followed by a DGF cake. Dinner- lamb chop, 1/2 gammon steak, cauli cheese and cabbage. 1 glass red.
    I’m enjoying the goat tales, so glad you have a new home for your lonely goat @Antje77 but hope you won’t be too lonesome. @Annb I’m heading over to the parallel chat to read your tale ASAP.
    @Goonergal your food looks fab. Did you mix equal amounts of butter and choc? I’m definitely copying this.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Skipped breakfast
    L: 2 slices low carb cheese on toast. Extra cheese on the side.
    Afternoon spent cooking crackers and other bits to freeze for my Christmas nibbles so far too many tastes went into my mouth
    D: if you can call it that, 1 mouthful of each Indian takeaway the boys had so 1 corner of a samosa, one bite of an onion bhaji, 1 piece of chicken in coconut sauce, 1 mouthful of lamb cheera, 2 mouthfuls of a beetroot and pea side dish.
    A brandy and soda.
    Might have a bit of icecream soon too.
    Not feeling quite right, achy, but testing negative

Edited to say sorry, forgot that i did have a breakfast of yoghurt,seeds and berries

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #47486 MrsA2, Dec 18, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  7. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

No. I used a whole 100g bar of Lindt 90% and just guessed with the butter. Probably about 60g or so. Chopped the Brazils in half.

Me too, though I’ve had this song going round in my head ever since I saw @Antje77 ’s post yesterday.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Friday 10 December - Bed 6.1 FBG 6.3. Way behind again. I've had a really busy week.

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with whipped cheese.
    L. Nothing. Headed up to M&S once I dropped the boys at home. Started picking up the presents I'd ordered online from Boots & Curry's.
    D. Cheeseburger in a Low Carb Co roll with lettuce, tomato, mustard and coleslaw. Blackberries and a spoonful of cream.

Saturday 11 December - Bed 7.7 FBG 7.5

B. Just TAG. Jujitsu still on.so out early.
    L. Nothing as I had to collect my order from Sainsburys. Couldn't get a delivery slot.
    D. Usual cold cuts - ham, ox tongue, roast beef, coronation chicken, tomato, 1/2 avocado, mozzarella. Blackberries and cream.
    View attachment 52492

• Like Like x 5
    #47488 maglil55, Dec 18, 2021 at 8:26 PM
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  9. MommaE

MommaE Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having googled Citroen C3 I’m not convinced your plan is wise!‍♀️Four hours? That goat has horns! And I presume hooves? I hope for your sake he’s very friendly, calm and grateful, but look forward to hearing how it went and that he is happily settled into his new home.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted, buttered and filled with cheese & ham. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - large mushroom & onion omlette. 3 squares lindtt 90%

• Like Like x 4
  11. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
    Late morning: black coffee and a PE protein bar.
    Skipped lunch.
    Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
    Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Three slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
    Chicken pie, lemon cordial with usual osmolax mix for smoko.
    Seafood platter with salad stuff for lunch.
    Toasted cheese and onion low carb sandwiches, couple of spoon fulls of lemon / lime sorbet for supper at six.

@Goonergal I like your homemade chocolates, I will have to give my partner a nudge to make some agiain, she makes a nice crystallised ginger / chopped up walnut fudge.

@Antje77 Transporting goats is easy, just tie their legs together and them put in the back of the truck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Erm, I don't think this will be necessary, considering the very relaxed way they behaved in the car when I got them. Why would I tie his legs?
    I do like your assessment of my car though, from now on I will refer to my modest Citroën C3 as my truck!
    Horns, hooves, unwise, you're probably right!
    But I feel pretty responsible for having changed my mind on bringing a couple of turkeys and chickens at the same time. I suddenly had visions of the goat destroying the boxes on the motorway and me having to find a safe spot to stop with a chaos of feathers and horns in my car, and the effect that would have on my two dogs who'll be riding the passenger seat.
    So no poultry for my family!
    Trip will be on the 24th, be sure I'll keep you updated!

Finished my pot of tomato soup today, so I'll do something else tomorrow. Not sure what yet, but I took some pork belly strips from the freezer so it'll likely involve pork belly.
    I've also been eating way more than a sensible amount of my chocolate things in the past few days, it was much easier to stick to just one or two pieces before I found out I'd forgotten the butter and correcting this omission.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just had a look at it, you could get a couple or few tied up goats in there.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Thanks - so it’s just like that lovely DD choc nut bar recipe but without the nut butter. I have a plate setting in the fridge now but might have to freeze portions to stop me scoffing the lot in one go.
    Ps I’ve been singing that song too!

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Guilty! They're even better from the freezer.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

I've just ordered the shortbread too (as well as the Christmas pies and more cookies to freeze). I just hope we don't end up with them having a Christmas break in Peterborough *touch wood, touch wood....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Sunday 12 December - Bed 6.5 FBG 7.8

Swimming still on. Bit of rushing about in the morning. - looking forward to last week of school!

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with egg mayo.

L. Nothing at swimming.

D. Mussels in white wine garlic with celeriac chips. Raspberries, blackberries and cream.
    Usual campari and soda.

Monday 13 December - Bed 8.2 FBG 7.8

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with egg mayo.
    Last week of school!

L. Nothing

D. Courgetti carbonara.

Headed back to the Fort after I dropped boys off to collect tet more parcels. Between giving grandson lunch and school runs, I also went into list making mode and got my cards done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Mrs T 123

I had forgotten I had one straight from the freezer today with a cuppa before I went out to work and I agree it tasted absolutely fine

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mrs T 123

Yep I ordered the cookies too and I have crossed everything that they arrive in time for christmas (my wee treat to myself) but I had another thought not being pessimistic likes but I thought they will now have the excuse again of their staff isolating if there is a delay/disaster .... note to self ... positve thinking, postive thinking ...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook