What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steak and eggs, left over veggies fried up for breakfast.
Chicken pie, lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Lamb shoulder chops, mixed salad, low sugar orange & mango jelly for lunch.
King Island blue cheese on savoury biscuits for supper at six.

The Sun has been up for the last 50 minutes on xmas morning, no reindeer kak to clean up this year as we are cash dollar only.

The weather guesser said it will be 35° C today and hot and sunny if it does not rain, other wise hot and humid.

Happy xmas everyone. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's 9.30 pm on Christmas Eve here. A bit windy outside but I don't think it's wet. Quite cold though. But that's OK - I am inside for the duration. No 2 son and his family are getting together in Stornoway for Christmas day, Neil is here but he doesn't celebrate anything. So, it's me, by myself and as far as I can see the TV is rubbish.

At some stage tomorrow I will have my skate wings in brown butter and capers. Might have a few frozen chips as well. Also have plenty of spinach soup left.

Neil tried watermelon to see if he could cope with it, but the answer is no. Em had 1/4 of it this morning for her breakfast (she came for a sleep-over last night) but the rest is in the fridge. I might try to dry it. She had been busy making my Christmas present - oven gloves (that was what I said I needed) and gave it to me last night. She made a very good job of it. Her sewing is coming along very well these days.

For breakfast today I had 2 melts - don't think I'll be making them again in a hurry. Later had a bowl of soup and later again I made pea and ham chowder, which I threw away. That gammon really wasn't very good.

So - Happy Christmas to you all. Have a good time and enjoy whatever you can eat without going too far off piste.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scrambled eggs for breakfast as I manage to drop the box when taking in last nights delivery. 8 out of 15 got broken!
90 minutes walk
L cheeses with seedy crackers followed by a piece of sons birthday panettone (definitely not low carb)
D salmon with cucumber, mustard and honey and dill, green beans, broccoli. 2 tiny éclairs. Prosecco and a small bourbon whisky

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 sandwiches on egg mayo with thelowcarbco bread (yipppee it arrived today!) Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - mussels, prawn cocktail & salmon salad. 2 dgf salted blondies (yipppee these arrived too and I have not had them in a while only ordered them as they were in the sale) with extra thick double cream and double cream poured over the top - eh well it is nearly christmas

So christmas came early for me today with all my deliveries - phew! so happy wee elf here and merry christmas to you all when it comes xxx

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything . . . every *** thing
Biscuits, mince pies, gratin potatoes, orange juice, bread galore . . . every carb in the business
'Tis the season so I 'll pay for it in Jan
Took only one reading, 6.2 @ 1 hour after a breakfast buttie & 3 biscuits to wash down the tea.
Put the meter away for the next few days but still get the walks in.

(Post edited by moderator - Removal of language)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: catinahat and jwd1

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All,

Please remember this is in the “low carb” diet forum and posts should reflect that. Discussions of high carb meals are not appropriate

Merry Christmas,
Andydragon (moderator)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Merry Christmas everyone!

We will be having this later. It's already in the oven, low and slow, for any early evening meal.

Attachments

• Christmas Rib 2021.jpg
    Christmas Rib 2021.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 102

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just, very naughtily, had a couple of squares of Lindt dark salted caramel chocolate - left over from the lucky dip. Very nice. It was there, and I didn't feel like making any food. I daresay that eventually I shall have some soup, but don't feel like frying my fish. I'll have to do something with it - it's been out of the freezer since last night, defrosting but right now, I'm feeling too lazy to do anything.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are both so full we may burst, but I present to you all,............ the leftovers!

We have eaten a top "layer", so plenty for cold cuts, slicing and freezing.

69BEDD93-A670-4C31-BC48-2EDDE2500690.jpeg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual bacon and two egg omelette, mushrooms, tomatoes for xmas breakfast
Nothing for smoko except for a couple of prawns I sampled when peeling them.
Prawns, sand crabs, bbq cooked whole fish, stuffed with some spicy asian mix and diced up scallop meat, salad for xmas lunch.
Bugs and leftover salad for xmas supper at six.

Had a couple of single malt whiskys in the evening to round the day out.

A bug pix.

7bS00e3.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That gives me the heebeejeebees! (Not sure how to spell that.) I was bad enough before seeing it - I wasn't hungry by the time I cooked the fish - had less than half of it and none of the spinach. Now I'm very glad my stomach is empty.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Usual bacon and two egg omelette, mushrooms, tomatoes for xmas breakfast
Nothing for smoko except for a couple of prawns I sampled when peeling them.
Prawns, sand crabs, bbq cooked whole fish, stuffed with some spicy asian mix and diced up scallop meat, salad for xmas lunch.
Bugs and leftover salad for xmas supper at six.

Had a couple of single malt whiskys in the evening to round the day out.

A bug pix.

7bS00e3.png
That's a Balmain bug isn't it?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a Balmain bug isn't it?
Yes, more or less as there are slight differences though, but Moreton Bay Bugs here in Queensland.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/1526185/Bug-Guide.pdf

Years ago they were thrown back into the sea as by catch and not worth processing by the fisher people. Today they are in high demand and go for top dollar at the markets.

They varied in price here in Bundaberg from $40.00 to $60.00 a kilo, I got mine at the Red Shed for a good price last week, but still alot of money for sea food stuff.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A bug pix.
Wow, that bug looks so cool, never seen it before!
I have the absolute best family!
I'll be bringing the goat to my cousin and her family on christmas eve, and I'll spend the night there.

Just got a text message from her husband, telling me they'll do a christmas dinner that day, because it's more fun to do that when I'm visiting than on the traditional 25th. :D:hungry:
And if I can please tell him what foods are problematic and what kind of foods go very well, from a diabetic point of view!

Isn't that the sweetest thing! :happy:
Not what I have eaten today but what I have eaten the day before yesterday, as that was goat day. :)
(More on the goat adventure on the parallel thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ten-parallel-chat.177870/page-77#post-2471475)
After seeing how the goat did with the other goats we went inside to have a drink with a bite. There were not only sweets, chocolates and scones on the table, but also olives, some very nice italian dried sausage and cheese cubes :).
For starters we had a cauliflower soup with all kinds of tasty ingredients, no idea what they were but it was a very lovely soup. There were two small potatoes in the whole pot (enough to serve 7 and have plenty left over), so hardly enough to make me rise, but very thoughtful of my cousin to inform me! There was a teeny tiny puff pastry christmas ornament on the soup as well.

For mains we had a pork tenderloin, filled with cheese and fresh cranberries, wrapped in bacon rashers, brussels sprouts, a tasty cauliflower mash and a green salad.
Hardly a carb in sight, we all had the same!

Dessert was two platters to share, one with choux pastry puffs filled with cream, and one with small balls of pizza dough filled with cheese cubes from different cheeses. Very easy to open the balls and eat the melted cheese with just a tiny bit of the bread. The dogs approved too, as they got to eat the rest of the cheese flavoured bread :)

So a close to perfect low carb meal, by someone who has never really wondered what foods are heavy in carbs and what foods are not, very impressive!

I still managed to mess up my diabetes by first drinking 3 Belgian specialty beers after arriving, then overdoing the correction when I saw how quickly I went up and then thinking I could catch the hypo with a bit of a scone with cream cheese. This of course takes longer to bring you up than sweets, so I overdid it on the scone and went right up again. Still I can only blame myself for this, and definitely not the Christmas dinner! Besides, I hadn't expected to have very stable bg's that day, so it didn't really matter. :)

Drove back yesterday, very tired, so yesterday was a couple of slices of low carb bread for dinner, which was perfectly fine after the day before. :)

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Marmite nuts (variable to taste)
Preheat oven to 180°
On a baking tray, melt a tablespoon of coconut oil, olive oil or butter with anything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon of marmite with a teaspoon or 2 of water, and stir it all about a bit
Add in 200g of nuts of choice (can be mixed)
Stir until covered in the marmite mix. Add more nuts if you still have spare mix.
Bake/roast in oven for 15 -20 minutes
Watch carefully as can catch and burn
Allow to cool and store air tight.
Be warned very addictive !

I finally made your marmite nuts today, @MrsA2 !
They're even better than I thought they would be, I hadn't expected them to get a bit of a crispy texture! :hungry::hungry::hungry:
I melted a spoon of butter, a little water and a full tablespoon of marmite in a bowl in the microwave and stirred the walnuts through in the bowl, which seemed easier than to stir them on the baking tray. Made the cat happy as well, as he got to lick the bowl and he goes absolutely crazy over marmite :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wasn't hungry all day, but I was very tired (or bone idle) so it took me until quite late yesterday evening to bother to cook my fish and spinach. Then I only ate about half of one fish and none of the spinach and it all went into the bin. I did, around midnight, strip the flesh off the remaining fish with the thought of making a fish cake today. But it's still in the fridge. I did have something earlier this afternoon, but for the moment can't think what it was. Still not hungry so, if I do have anything later, it will be the spinach soup. Still loads of that left. Just remembered, what I had was some more of the melts with extra cheese to try to improve them. It didn't, so I guess those will go out as well.

Started cleaning out my kitchen fridge but Em has just arrived, so I'll leave that until later.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual two slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Cold baked fish leftovers in a low car sandwich, lemon cordial and osomolax for smoko.
Leg ham from the the local butcher, mixed salads for lunch.
Ham low carb sandwiches with loads of mustard on them for supper at six.

Had some lychees and cherries, watching the "Silent Sea" a South Korean TV sci fi drama series on Netfflix.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit behind so:

XMAS DAY
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Mid morning: black coffee with a DGF mince pie.
Lunch: turkey, 2 x pigs in blankets, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, one small roastie and gravy followed by DGF Xmas pud with cream.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Tea: cold meat, cheese, salad and pork scratchings followed by DGF mince pie with cream and SF brandy butter plus a mouthful of my son’s very chocolately birthday cake :wideyed:

TODAY
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: lamb roasted with garlic and rosemary, 2 x pigs in blankets, Brussels, green beans, carrots, one small roastie and gravy followed by DGF Xmas pud with cream.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Tea: 2 cold pigs in blankets, leafy salad, a cherry tomato and sliced cucumber followed by LC trifle, made from DGF cranberry and orange blondie, chopped strawberries, SF strawberry jelly and extra thick double cream.

C6DDB4E0-09F6-445C-8BD3-BE328DF772E3.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Christmas day
No breakfast as was on cooking duties
Did have a couple of pigs in blankets at about 12. I had cooked 36 so there would be plenty for the 6 of us, and leftovers
Lunch started with a help yourself platter of smoked salmon, prawns, melon, grapefruit and orange, dressed with pomegranates, red onion and mint with
a honey and chilli dressing. Mains was turkey and trimmings. I avoided the potatoes and stuffing but did have 1 piece of parsnip. I'd made a cranberry relish from a Delia recipe substituting erythritol for the sugar and it worked really well. 1 tablespoon bread sauce. Pigs in blankets.

Later about 7pm, cold cuts and cheese. 3 bites of Xmas pudding and custard.
Throughout the day fizz flowed, so probably too much

Today (boxing day)
B: 4 rashers streaky bacon, yoghurt with cream and seeds and cranberry relish (!)
L: 2 seedy crackers with a bit of cheese
Afternoon fizz
D: cold cuts of turkey and ham, salad, cheese, olives, cranberry relish, sour pickles.
One slice MILS birthday coffee panettone with cream. More fizz. One chocolate.

Oh, having cooked 36 chipolata pigs in blankets expected to have plenty leftover as I love them cold, but when I came to have them tonight, they had all already gone!!!

Haven't been totally low carb this year, but have kept the carby bits in moderation. Libre shows me 94% in range with the highest spike at 11, which is good enough for me