What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
View attachment 52713
A day of using up leftovers. Stripped chicken carcass and put bones and a few older veg from fridge into slow cooker for the day will cool when finished to use as chicken stock for a soup later in the week.
Lunch - drumsticks from left over chicken with a few nuts and seeds followed by a few raspberries and spoon of 0% fage yoghurt also a coffee with two squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner - a third of the frittata in the photo. I had some tapas left from new year - peppers, roast tomatoes and artichokes - which I sliced plus a few mushrooms all cooked in olive oil and knob of butter plus added a handful of shredded chicken from remains then added six beaten eggs and some garlic granules, salt and pepper and then finished off under grill to melt the vintage cheddar I’d grated on to the set egg. Served with green salad followed by low carb crumble and cream.
Hi I tested them ww bars 6.2 before 5.9 after is that ok. I will test again tho next time I eat one I need to go buy more strips lol

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jayne1983 bg reaction looks ok but I generally feel it may be worth you looking at lower carb bars once you’ve used those ww ones. Take a look at @Rachox s food recordings on this thread as she lists various low carb bars she uses as part of her low carb daily menu. I tend to use keto friendly brownies and cookies from DGF for my daily sweet treat see:
https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com

And rather than snack I use them as a pudding. I try to avoid snacking where possible and often eat for only 6 hours in 24 hours and fast - only drink water and weak black tea - for remaining 18hours. It works well for me and I often only have 2 meals in those 6 hours but sometimes I eat three small meals during that eating window. Talking of which today was a three small meal day as I was hungry.

Breakfast at 12ish three scrambled eggs in butter
Lunch at 2ish bowl of hm lc soup - celeriac and celery - with a hm lc buttered roll. Followed by yoghurt and a few raspberries and nuts
Dinner at 5 ish two lamb chops and sprouts followed by DGF lc crumble with cream.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @shelley262 , yes @Jayne1983 I love the low carb protein bars. There are more available now than when I first discovered them 4 plus years ago, and are getting into more mainstream shops, rather than just health food stores. Even Costa sells a small selection of Carb Killas now.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a PE protein bar from Holland and Barrett.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Food Dr protein bar bought in Tesco bar.
Dinner: scrambled eggs on marmite LC toast followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- DD 3 ingredient egg cups. In hindsight I’d have made it into an omelette instead, but they were ok.
L- leftover curry bowl from last nights dinner. DGF cake ( not in plan but they arrived yesterday and I haven’t frozen them yet
D- DD Asian chicken stir fry and spicy mayo, delicious.
Continuing the sausage conversation I went to Tesco and found Naked chipolatas, I’d forgotten about this brand too, but 0.7g carbs per 100 was a good result. Even better they had a yellow sticker so were half price. Winning at life!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was another salad-on-a-sandwich (wholemeal).
2nd meal will be seared salmon with spinach just with some lemon on the salmon.

Slight change of plan - the spinach was still in the freezer and there was a savoy cabbage waiting to be used in the fridge, so I made savoy carbonara to go with the salmon instead. Yum! Only ate half of what I made but I'm very full.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the recipe?
I really need to make this, I keep forgetting!
How does it puff up, do you beat the egg? And what seasonings do you add?

• 1 large onion chopped.
  • c200-250gr cheese of your choosing; grated - for us, this evening, it was just a strong mature cheddar
  • A decent knob of butter
  • 1 egg

Steps
  1. Firstly, boil the chopped onion until soft, the drain very well.
  2. In a bowl, combine the onion, cheese, egg, butter and seasoning, the decant into your chosen cooking vessel. It works just as well as one dish, or individually. We had individuals tonight.
  3. Put it into a 200c fan oven for c30 minutes.
  4. I think it would also be wonderful with cooked bacon or chopped chorizo added.

That's it. Season however you like - lots of black pepper, whole grain mustard are regulars, but anything you'd like with cheese. We'll often have grated parmesan on top too, for a bit of extra bite.

I'd suggest greasing your dish beforehand too. The really crispy bits are the best!

It really is a very quick and filling "staples" dinner. I grate a 1kg block of strong cheddar at a time, them freeze it in 100gr bags, which obviously helps with the quick part, but also is, in my view, more appealing to do one lot of grating than several over a period of time.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with berries and seeds
L: yesterday's leftover cheesy swede mash with left over stew juices. 2 cheesy crackers
Mid afternoon 1 piece hm lc ginger cake
D: not really, 2 crackers with spoon of mackerel pate. Far too many tastings of batch cooking I was doing, including some almond biscuits that got burnt.

Major headache now. Not sure if it's from the sweeteners in the cooking or from a stressful phone call or too much time this morning on the pc.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms and tomatoes. vegimite on toast for breakfast.
No smoko, lemon cordial brew for a drink.
Grilled nile perch fillets, salad, small bowl of ime / lemon sorbet for lunch.
Bacon and grated cheese wraps for supper at six.

KI blue cheese on lowish carb crackers watching Manifest on Netflix.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch: Fage full fat yogurt, blueberries, ground almonds, black coffee
Mid afternoon: stilton , black decaff coffee
Dinner: beef chilli, cauliflower rice, low sugar tonic water

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not very hungry today - still stuffed from festive season me thinks, so ...

Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted & buttered and filled with ham, cheese & coleslaw. 2 squares lindtt 90% washed down with mug of earl grey tea.

Dinner - sandwiches made with bread from lowcarbco filling was cheese & red onion (I do like a piece on cheese & onion). 1 dgf new blueberry crumble heated up with greek yoghurt drizzled over the top and another 2 squares of lindtt 90% and another mug of earl grey tea - oh and I pinched a potato wedge or 2 from son's plate (naughty girl)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. TMAD today.

Lunch was 2 x home made burgers with smoked streaky bacon and 2 eggs.

Dinner was cold cuts from yesterday’s beef, which has now been finished.

View attachment 52761
Burgers look delicious - recipe please - what lc do you use to bind them together? I used to use breadcrumbs pre D but obviously can't use that these days

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Burgers look delicious - recipe please - what lc do you use to bind them together? I used to use breadcrumbs pre D but obviously can't use that these days

No recipe. I simply put the mince in a bowl, add salt and mix well. Then use a burger press (see link below for the one I have) to form patties, shake them out onto a board and then use a large fish slice to place them in a frying pan/flip over. No binders at all. Using very cold mince seems to help with keeping everything together.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-non-stick-burger-press-silver/p4639033

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Burgers look delicious - recipe please - what lc do you use to bind them together?
@Mrs T 123 T 123 For a different recipe, I use turkey mince and add 1 egg, 1T linseed meal (vs LDL), 1dsp collagen powder(vs osteopoenia), 1t turmeric (miracle food!). Perhaps these are more rissoles than burgers. I put spoonfuls in the frying pan, with goose fat for flavour or olive oil if I am thinking about my cholesterol. As Goonergal has found, the mixture goes nice and stiff if left in the fridge overnight, but even resting it an hour+ helps. For variety and more calcium, I add in grated extra mature Cheddar.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dread to think what would happen to eggs in the air fryer :hilarious:. These were cooked in a small skillet.
@Goonergal, Thanks. Do you get the fat (what fat?) smoking hot? I think maybe I am too scared to let it smoke enough to get crispy, frilly fried eggs.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’ve just got some weight watchers bars the carbs are 8.6 and sugars 2.3 per bar. I know I’ve got to test first but can you tell me if 2.3 sugars are to high for a bar please. I don’t know if dare try them just in case
sorry if this is repeating anyones comments on the thread!
@Jayne1983 I eat Fibre one protein bars. They are 4.4g per bar and come in two flavours. They are small but if you want that chocolate hit do the job. Also just trying Adonis bars which are more expensive. These are nutty and hover around the 5-6g mark depending on flavour. Links below to ocado, but fibre one are in Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons too. Or try amazon for bulk buying.
https://www.fibreone.co.uk/product-category/protein-bars/
https://ketonis.co.ukc

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: the remainder of the savoy carbonara with a fried egg on top. I realised last night that the savoy carbonara tastes very much like the cabbage and cheese dish my husband used to make but it was just shredded, cooked cabbage with cheddar grated into it and maybe a little milk. He loved it but at the time I wasn't keen. But yesterday, I made mine with bacon, double cream and parmesan.

2nd meal will be Brussels sprouts with marmite.

NOTE: unless you are very brave and enjoy hot chilli, don't make the same mistake as I have just done and try a dark chocolate called Black Widow, subtitled "grim reaper". It contains ghost chilli and it hurts!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But yesterday, I made mine with bacon, double cream and parmesan.
How do you prepare it?
I happen to have all the ingredients and no idea yet what I will cook today...
NOTE: unless you are very brave and enjoy hot chilli, don't make the same mistake as I have just done and try a dark chocolate called Black Widow, subtitled "grim reaper". It contains ghost chilli and it hurts!
I've just looked it up but alas, not available in the Netherlands.