What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hard boiled eggs, two slices of low car btoast and vegemite for breakfast.
Cold chicken leg, lemon cordial / osmolas mix for smoko.
Roast beef and veggies, onion gravy (mre) for lunch.
Cheese and onion low carb toasted sandwiches for suppwr at six.

Got some nice Coles brand imported danish blue cheese and crackers from Coles with our online order

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/bundaberg/product/coles-danish-blue-cheese

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/bundaberg/product/fine-food-cracked-pepper-wafer-crackers

Did not rock my bgl around to much. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 6.5 FBG 6.7. Once again I've made minor change/swaps to the DD reset plan. First was on breakfast.

B. TAG and a little later smoked salmon but with scrambled egg rather than avocado & watercress.
L. Nothing but I did have another TAG and a DGF lemon cookie late afternoon as BGs were at 5 and still going down.
D. The DD pork chop with asparagus. (This is the Sunday dinner @DJC3 but I switched it to today as it's haggis on Sunday). I altered the recipe a little too. The "sauce" rather than boil like mad to thicken, I added a little cream and 3 mini mozzarella balls. Thickened very quickly. Had tenderstem broccoli with it.

Currently on a vodka and diet coke to celebrate Friday!View attachment 52995

That’s a good tip to thicken a sauce with mini mozzarella balls.
I’m up in London currently for my 6 month scan on Thursday so I’ve had to pause the reset plan for a few days and just eat whatever we can find that’s suitable. I foresee a lot of large fry up type breakfasts, Nando’s and Fiveguys. Not complaining!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can recommend, very tasty, and because of the way you eat it it feels like something special too!
Also, it's the only food I can think of where your plate is fuller after eating than before! :hilarious:

272388673_10224980489293787_1132546852337084360_n.jpg

272249649_10224980488693772_3214901693469193824_n.jpg

Good to know, I might not be scared away next time I see one now. I agree about a food being more special if you have to work for it. I like fresh crab for the same reason.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Just had a look at Week 2 of the DD New me reset. I'll need one or two amendments/swaps. I loath blue cheese. I've tried it a few times but nothing can convince me to like it. I don't like the look of the fish casserole and, turkey/apple burgers? I know I'd like them but not for breakfast!

I can’t imagine turkey burgers for breakfast either. I love blue cheese though.
I usually end up swapping half the recipes, which always makes me wonder why I’m trying to follow a meal plan! I think I just like the simplicity of not having to think about it once I’ve sorted the swaps.

RosemaryJackson

morning everyone. I didn't post yesterday, having not yet got into the habit. Had ff gr yog with stevia drops (ohh that sweet tooth again) with a few berries, lunch was remains of lamb shank and veg and tea was 2 Ryvitas with sodt cheese and strawberries on top. Today Ive had scrambled egg with cheese and come to the conclusion, I don't really like it so no more. I think it will be 2 chilli bratwursts with veg and gravy for lunch and no idea for tea. Probably 2 Ryvitas etc! Can I ask what DD, OMAD, DGF and TAG stand for please? And do you all count your carbs every day? I normally have between 30 and 60 per day and although my levels are coming down, my weight isn't. Am I having too many? tia.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
morning everyone. I didn't post yesterday, having not yet got into the habit. Had ff gr yog with stevia drops (ohh that sweet tooth again) with a few berries, lunch was remains of lamb shank and veg and tea was 2 Ryvitas with sodt cheese and strawberries on top. Today Ive had scrambled egg with cheese and come to the conclusion, I don't really like it so no more. I think it will be 2 chilli bratwursts with veg and gravy for lunch and no idea for tea. Probably 2 Ryvitas etc! Can I ask what DD, OMAD, DGF and TAG stand for please? And do you all count your carbs every day? I normally have between 30 and 60 per day and although my levels are coming down, my weight isn't. Am I having too many? tia.
DGF means Deliciously Guilt Free A wonderful low carb cake company that several of us use so that we can have a sweet treat when we don't have time for low carb sweet treats cooking. They freeze well too.
www.deliciouslyguiltfree.com
OMAD means one meal a day - a fair few of us do some time restricted eating aiming to fast for the rest of the time. For example I would aim in my fasting window to not eat at all and make sure that my drinks are also sugar free eg black tea, water or black coffee. I often eat 18/6 which means that I fast for 18 hours and only eat - low carb of course - during 6 hours or sometimes 16/8 with 16 hours of fasting if hungry earlier. On OMAD fasting window may be 23 hours and eating 1 hour unless it is a big one meal a day! I did OMAD when first started eating this way but these days dont do it as often.
TAG I think is one used by @maglil55 and refers to an Americano Grande I think from her Tassimo coffee machine so think it is a black coffee.
Personally when I first started I had to go Keto and have less than 20 g of carbs to make a difference for me to my sugars and weight. I found at that stage it was easier with OMAD These days I aim for 20/30 but sometimes go up to about 50 but I am successfully maintaining my blood sugars and weight 4 years on. We would all count our daily carbs on this thread - I believe - as it is the low carb thread.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We would all count our daily carbs on this thread - I believe - as it is the low carb thread.
To be honest, I don't exactly count carbs, I just leave out the obvious carby stuff like bread potatoes, pasta, rice and most fruit. I'm not even aware of how many carbs are in different veggies so those are never really counted.
Even with adding about 30 gr of carbs for two Belgian specialty beers a day (don't try this as a diet controlled T2, I can only handle those because I can inject for them!), I'm quite sure my daily carb intake is low, but I wouldn't know the exact amount.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m up in London currently for my 6 month scan on Thursday so I’ve had to pause the reset plan for a few days and just eat whatever we can find that’s suitable. I foresee a lot of large fry up type breakfasts, Nando’s and Fiveguys. Not complaining!
I hope all goes well with the scan xxx. Is it a hotel job now your London abode is sold?

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The good thing with mozzarella is you don't end up with another cheese sauce. It's just nice and creamy.

RosemaryJackson

thank you. I daren't buy cakes because if I ate 1, I wouldn't be able to resist the rest (absolutely no will power). I will reduce my daily carbs and try the 16/8 window. Fingers crossed!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, I don't exactly count carbs, I just leave out the obvious carby stuff like bread potatoes, pasta, rice and most fruit. I'm not even aware of how many carbs are in different veggies so those are never really counted.
Even with adding about 30 gr of carbs for two Belgian specialty beers a day (don't try this as a diet controlled T2, I can only handle those because I can inject for them!), I'm quite sure my daily carb intake is low, but I wouldn't know the exact amount.

I don't really count carbs either - just try not to eat anything that is carb heavy. I do check from time to time just to make sure I haven't let anything slip by me. When I know I am having something which does have a measurable amount of carbs, I try to work out approximately how many. Most days I try not to go over 30 grams or so. That's still low (too low according to the dietician here). I have tried going keto, but it didn't work for me because I ended up feeling pretty ill although I still do manage the odd carb free day.

I still do like my carbs though, so I keep trying to find a way they won't cause too much of a rise in BG - that's why I experimented with the frozen potato a day or so ago. I don't understand how it should work, but if it does I'm all for it - once in a while.

Today is not a carb free day. For breakfast I had a wholemeal bread sandwich with cold pork. That was about 30 grams carb, so no more today. I was going out (chiropodist) so just grabbed the first thing that came to mind. Came home much more comfortable with feet fitting inside my shoes but hungry.

Trouble is - eating makes me hungry. I don't know if that makes sense but if I am having only one meal, I am quite comfortable leaving it until late afternoon, but if I eat first thing, I just want to keep going all day. It might be psychological or it might be physical. Anything else I eat today has to be zero carb.

Might manage to last out until late afternoon and then have bacon and egg.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 is correct. TAG does indeed stand for Tassimo Americano Grande which is a large black coffee. Occasionally, taken with a dash of cream.

Reactions: Annb

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And do you all count your carbs every day? I normally have between 30 and 60 per day and although my levels are coming down, my weight isn't. Am I having too many? tia.

I don’t count carbs as I eat so few of them (I mostly eat meat and eggs with the odd green thing thrown in), so there’s little point. Even when I wander off piste, it’s rarely something genuinely high carb and I figure that the odd 20-30 thrown into the mix will make little difference.

If you’re avoiding the ‘beige’ carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) and starchy veg and sticking to real foods, you can’t go far wrong. For me it gets more complicated if you want to add in low carb substitutes like bread/protein bars/baked goods etc. The response to those seems to be very varied in terms of both blood glucose response and weight loss - they definitely don’t do me any good, but there are some on the thread who can eat them with no problems.

For me, I’d say the only reason you’d need to count carbs is if you’re not meeting your goals, whether that be blood glucose control, weight loss or something else. That would likely help you to find another path.

. I daren't buy cakes because if I ate 1, I wouldn't be able to resist the rest (absolutely no will power).

Great decision. I genuinely rue the day I started low carb baking. I never baked before, so goodness only knows why I started (I blame this thread!). It simply reignited addiction issues I’d almost knocked on the head by avoiding anything sweet. A few years later, that’s still the case and dealing with those issues is the most difficult part of this journey by far.

Unless you can moderate - and I envy those who can - then I’d really urge you to stick to that decision. It’ll make life so much easier in the long run.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And to address the thread topic, there has indeed been a bit of wandering off piste food wise today.

Went straight into town after I finished work at noon, in search of a couple of long sleeve t-shirts similar to one I bought recently. Of course that turned into 3 t-shirts, a sweatshirt and a fleece! @DJC3 thankfully I had my hands full by the time I saw a gorgeous jumper. For now it’s still in the shop :D

First Food of the day was around 2pm - some salted macadamia nuts from the M&S Food Hall. So far so good.

Next was 2 of their chocolate eclairs - not too bad at 21g/carb a piece. And the generous amount of cream slows down any spike.

Then proper food to finish - fried 20% mince, mixed with smoked streaky bacon and onions. Note to self, that was far more satiating than anything that preceded it!

7A852BF9-1B74-4E0B-929F-52EC5C9812AF.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to 2 meals today so 18/6 fasting/eating
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with four M and S lc seeded crackers followed by yoghurt with a few raspberries and 5g of walnuts
Mid pm three squares of 90% chocolate- one planned but somehow couldn’t stop at one!Think I need to follow example of @DJC3 and put into portions when open new bar and freeze them. Talking of @DJC3 - hoping tests go well in London and hope you manage to enjoy your LC treats while eating out.
Dinner pork saltimboca with salads followed by DGF chocolate brownie warmed and served with spoon of cream

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; low carb granola, carbzone toast with butter
mocha
lunch; serrano ham and cream cheese spred on a low carb crispbread. protein bar
dinner; chicken breast, peas, roasted tomatoes with mushroom sauce. raspberries and crea.
three squares of 90% lindt

And do you all count your carbs every day? I normally have between 30 and 60 per day and although my levels are coming down, my weight isn't. Am I having too many? tia.
I use the app Nutracheck which I think is free for a month, then you have to pay a monthly charge. It has a good database of food including tinned, frozen and packet foods as well as fresh. I've found the carbs and cals book a good reference too. It shows with a visual reference (ie a three photos of plates of curry of varying portion size) with the relevant carb values. It's quite an eye opener!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals...37&hvtargid=pla-453288332347&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@RosemaryJackson I too counted carbs when first diagnosed and trying to lose weight. I used an app called carb manager. That coupled with finger pricking to see bg helped me get to weight that my body and my scales seem to like, so now I don't count.
I do bake, but always use a 7" square tin and cut the item into 16 squares which then get frozen. That way I can have a little soemthing in hand...which is nearly every day but my weight and bgs are stable so that's OK for me.
There is no one right way. We are all different and have found what suits us as individuals. And then diabetes often throws a curved ball and a routine that suited us no longer does and we have to find a different routine. Mine varies according to what else I'm doing that day

Back on thread track
Today I fasted (skipped breakfast) then went to exercise class.
Had a coffee with cream before my shower.
Lunch was 2 soft boiled eggs with some home made (hm) lc (low carb) soda bread. I make this and cut it into 16 slices and freeze them with greaseproof paper in between so it's easy to get an individual slice or 2 out. It cuts into the right size soldiers for dipping. 2 sqs berry cake
Then dancing
D: chicken leg tray bake with turnips, carrots onions
. 1 scoop ice cream

I thought I hadn't snacked, but the level of nuts hubby marmited the other day seems to have gone down quite a bit :rolleyes:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good news for the chocolate eclairs @Goonergal ! Just seen your post and checked out the morrisons eclairs which are coming in at 12g. A very nice occasional treat, plus I forgot about the eating of fat with carbs slowing down spikes.
I love this forum for information...