1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. RosemaryJackson

RosemaryJackson · Well-Known Member

LOL, I was just going to explain it when I saw Annb had beaten me to it!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Well, I'm going to have 2 cooked chicken thighs for my bf! They were left over from my 'tea' last night. Today I'm having airfried belly pork slices for dinner with green veg and probably scrambled or boiled eggs for tea with buttered Ryvitas. Any snack with be my 70% chocolate. Have a good day everyone

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

But did I get it right? You might have a different memory of how it used to work. It was never very clear cut and now it is just a total mess with people just making up their own minds about what to call a meal - and why not? The only name I consistently use these days is breakfast because that is what you do in the morning - break your overnight fast. Sometimes I use "brunch" even though it is breaking a fast because it seems too late in the day to be eating breakfast. I usually have breakfast and a 2nd meal (the meal with no name).

Em's here and that might delay my 2nd meal, but it is still planned to be baked fish with some peppers and some lemon and maybe some other pickled veggies as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Hello All well its (Chunky Fish Finger Firsday here which I look forward to like a little kid! Green beans & broccoli on the side. Lunch today was 6 mini chicken satays in a little box from Waitrose with a small peanut dip and side salad. Was busy didnt check how carbs or otherwise the snack was. Brekkie was a slice of LivLife toast (defo more cardboardy than HiLo but its all I have in atm.
    Bought rosemary & garlic salmon fillets from the Waitrose fish counter for our suppee tomorrow. I know what tomo’s breakfast will be lol but only know lunch will be a small plate of protein & salad. Had some cold boiled eggs earlier in the week did them for the same time as ready to eat boiled eggs and they were nice mashed with a bit of mayo, not as dry as hardboiled.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

that looks tasty.

how did you make it please :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I put 5 bell peppers and half a bulb of garlic in the oven without preparation. Took out the garlic after 20 minutes, left the bell pepper for 45. Peeled both after cooling.
    Fried onion, added a stalk of celery after a while, and freshly grated ginger and turmeric. Added tomato paste.
    Added water, two stock cubes (herbs, not meat) and some dried green herbs, no idea which ones, I just used the first pot I saw.
    Let it simmer until everything was soft, added 2/3 of the bell pepper and all of the garlic and used the stick blender.
    Added the rest of the pepper cut in small pieces.
    Added the leftover cream, not creamy enough so I added some cream cheese as well.
    When dinner time came I garnished with parmesan and smoked paprika before putting the bowl of soup in the microwave.

I think today I'll throw in some fried bacon cubes as well. I think halloumi cubes would work well too, if you prefer vegetarian, but I don't have halloumi and I do have bacon. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I really like the sound of that - a great idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Your soup looks and sounds wonderful, I bet the bacon was a really good addition today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Master
    Retired Moderator

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
    Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
    Skipped lunch.
    Mid afternoon: black coffee and a DGF millionaire’s shortbread.
    Dinner: meatballs in tomato and mascarpone sauce followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

B- scrambled eggs on lc toast and marmite.
    Late lunch- Nando’s 1/2 chicken, which arrived too late to eat yesterday so eaten cold today. DGF cake.
    Afternoon snack - 2 squares Montezuma’s peanut butter absolute black bar.
    I don’t think I’ll have dinner as I’m not hungry yet.
    Edit to add I did have a sort of dinner - piece of very ripe Brie, few walnuts and a tot of gin.

• Like Like x 6
    #49850 DJC3, Apr 28, 2022 at 8:39 PM
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  11. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

It turned out I didn't have bacon after all (or technically I did, but it was at the very back of the fridge, hidden by other stuff, and it clearly told me I should have checked the fridge a very long time ago :bag::sorry:) but I did find a forgotten 'droge worst' (Dutch dried sausage), which was at least as tasty after frying small bits of it! :)

The soup itself was much better too, second day really makes a difference!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Small rib steak, well cooked (not runny) eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms for breakfast.
    Nothing for smoko, lemon cordial with a big scoop of the go powder.
    Chicken legs, green veggies, gravy for lunch.
    Small container of pea and ham soup, two slices of toast for supper at six.

Six pepper crackers with blue cheese watching Prime.

On the subject of meal time we also have a "lappo" this is mainly a cigarette break of five minutes every hour in the meat works / abattoir industry.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you that is super clear.
    it is the first time I saw pepper soup and that looks brilliant.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. RosemaryJackson

Yes you did. Brunch I think is an American saying. Breakfast, dinner and tea and then supper. The Hoi Polloi had breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. I'm sticking to what I was brought up with, bf, dinner and tea )and no supper if I was naughty!)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  15. RosemaryJackson

Morning all. I had such a bad carb day yesterday, I am going to fast for as long as possible and then eat carb free till tea time. Have got myself in the doldrums after talking about my beloved daughter so am trying to get out of it.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Annb

That's a new one on me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Annb

I didn't bother with the fish yesterday evening because it didn't thaw sufficiently to open it out (it was kind of squashed in a bag). Just had some bits and pieces of smoked salmon, cucumber, lettuce - all just picked at and not made into anything.

Breakfast this morning was a slice of wholemeal toast with butter and Marmite and some tea. Can't drink too much until I've been to my GP appointment this afternoon - can't take the risk even without taking my diuretic pills.

The fish is defrosted now, so I'll bake it when I come back this afternoon for my 2nd meal.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in about a fortnight. I have gained 5 lb and am now 17 st 8 lb! That's an average of 21/2 lb a week. Disappointing.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. iwilltouchyourcat

iwilltouchyourcat LADA · Well-Known Member

After a lapse last night (raspberries and alpro cream and more nuts than I want to admit to) I was still low carb but not fast 800 friendly so today I fasted for 16 hours then had

Lunch-
    Bfree protein wrap
    Morrisons plant revolution coleslaw
    This isn’t bacon fake bacon (best one I’ve tried so far in terms of closeness to taste of real bacon)

Tonight I am having vegan shawarma with plant based Philadelphia and protein wrap

Total carbs 31g
    Total cals 824

Fingers crossed the snack demon doesn’t tear their ugly head again at 8pm!

• Like Like x 4
  19. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

Brunch (and I'm not American - but I can borrow as it's such an accurate word) stirfry salmon. Dinner will be roast beef with cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage.

• Like Like x 5
  20. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

77848C70-0E5F-48A2-BA7B-641914DFDD61.jpeg Back home hopefully for a couple of weeks - says she crossing fingers! Started making some more Lactobacillus Reuteri yoghurt today - missed it while away- and also stewed some pink local rhubarb with ginger and lemon.
    Brunch cooked some mushrooms in butter and then scrambled three eggs into the mushrooms and butter served with a few lc seeded crackers followed by four squares of 100% chocolate
    Dinner see photo - two lamb loin chops - marinated all day in herbs and olive oil before cooking - served with side salad and hm red cabbage sauerkraut (made 2 months ago but seems happy in fridge!) had small dry red wine and lc blondie with a few spoons of yoghurt.

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook