1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed Type 2 · Well-Known Member

1030hrs breakfast. Omlette with cheese, bacon bits, mushrooms and Peppers
    1330hrs lunch. Ham with cabbage, 1 small boiled potato with skin on, a few peas and butternut squash.
    1830hrs. Chicken curry leftovers from yesterday's dinner with cauliflower, broccoli and Corgette.
    Didn't see any big spike 1 and 2 hrs post lunch with the veg I had. Wonder if the fat content of the ham held back a higher spike

• Like Like x 6
  2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Started well with breakfast of yoghurt with seeds and 6 blackberries, and 1 cold sausage.
    Coffee with cream midmorning was supposed to see me through a busy afternoon.
    Did exercise class and a couple of errands OK, but then hit the big shop.
    Have visitors coming for weekend so shop included carbs, not many but felt so strange buying things I shouldn't eat, that whilst unpacking them I ate:
    1 large cookie,
    1 fairy cake,
    4 chocolate covered marshmallows
    Some brazils,
    3 low carb brownies (just so there was room in the freezer for something else :banghead:)
    4 strawberries
    2 grapes

And then I still had dinner of steak and broccoli and a grilled tomato!!!

Why, oh why such a binge? I told myself I was just trying them to see if they were good enough for my guests... but I knew i wasn't really. Definitely something self harming going on. I was in my own and knew no one coukd see. Haven't tested but feel bloated.
    Oh and the marshmallows were horrible, cheap chocolate coating and loads of gelatine

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done Wolf!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,

breakfast: small amount porridge with fruit.

lunch:meat cooked with onion and tomato sauce - bread.

After I had to do a little exercise as I had a spike ( walk )

D: cauliflower small nuggets + bread

• Like Like x 5
  5. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Morning All firstly @Antje77 thanks for great pics and welcome back and enjoy a quiet time with your animals and easy nutritious food.
    Today just had my slice of toast cooled and thick with butter and tea.
    Lunch will be a few cold bites from the fridge and yogurt that needs moving on.
    Supper will be cod loin baked with a drizzle of Teriyaki sauce and green beans, probs the remainder of that yogurt. If I feel like it I might celebrate Friday with a gin & soda (taking @Goonergal comments about rogue diet advice to the wire, haha.)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. RosemaryJackson

RosemaryJackson · Well-Known Member

Morning all. Thanks for all your comments. Hope we all soon start feeling better! Bg was 6.5 this morning so that's given me a boost. I'm skipping bf today. (Once upon a time I wouldn't dream of doing that! I was told bf is the most important meal of the day!) Midday, airfried belly pork. At my local butcher's, he cooks belly pork every Thursday with crackling to die for! Teatime I will probably have egg mayo and cress with 2 buttered Ryvitas. Have a great day everyone :happy:

• Like Like x 7
  7. Annb

Took my insulin 35 minutes before eating this morning - pushing it well back from the time I was advised by diabetic nurse - just an experiment. Breakfast - a ham sandwich using white bread - must make some wholemeal today. One hour after the sandwich BG was 6.6. Will see how that goes.

2nd meal will be lamb and mushrooms with some added fried onions and some spices - all reheated in butter. Probably needs some other veg with it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Annb

Now that's odd. BG dropped as far as 5.0 by early afternoon and started to rise again to 6.4 by the time I was cooking my 2nd meal - late afternoon. I took another dose of insulin - reduced this time and intended to eat after half an hour but my dishwasher broke down. I didn't even notice, but Neil did, so of course, it had to be pulled out and examined. It took 3/4 hour before he could put it back in - even he's not sure what he did, but it's going just now. So I ate my meal 3/4 hour after dosing, by which time my BG had dropped to 4.0. It is currently still dropping and is at 3..4 despite 2 boiled sweets and some bread. I guess there is something in this timing business after all - just a matter of getting it right.

For that meal I fried a small sliced onion and some garlic, added the lamb and the mushrooms along with some garden peas (frozen) and a large spoonful of the courgette and mustard thingy I made a few days back and some paprika. I added some slices of potato as well which were sprouting in the cupboard, so I'd sauteed them to use them up. Tasted good and the potato should have been enough to keep BG up, but it wasn't.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
    Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
    Skipped lunch.
    Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
    Dinner: Brie sandwiches made with LC bread and a smudge of onion chutney with coleslaw and a couple of baby tomatoes followed by DGF choc brownie and clotted cream.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Yaya10_10

Have u tried make baba ghanoush with the courgette.

Great taste really

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

@Antje77 Wolf looks so cosy and warm, great photo.
    @MrsA2 hugs - we’ve all done things like that, don’t dwell on it and let it throw you off track though. Just enjoy your weekend with your visitors.
    No particular mealtimes today, I just ate when the opportunity arose
    Lc roll, ham, smoked cheese, lettuce&mayo
    2 strawberries
    Pack of M&S herb marinated chicken skewers ( part of the 3 for £7 deli deal)
    DGF cake
    Made venison ragu for dinner but wasn’t very hungry so had a couple of slices of cheese and some sauerkraut.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Annb

Yes. I have made Baba Ganoush in the past and had planned to make it this time, but at the last minute I decided to make Imam Bayaldi. Have you tried that - it's very good.

Edited to fix typo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #50092 Annb, May 13, 2022 at 9:50 PM
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
  13. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Preparing for providing for 8 or 10 adults and 8 or 9 children is proving testing. I used to do it often and easily, but not since my diagnosis and low carbing, or since lockdown.

B: yoghurt with seeds and 1 strawberry.
    Then started cooking. Aware I was tempted by sugar I had more yoghurt hoping being full would help, but no, had far far too many tastes of proper cake batter and icing, interspersed with too many brazil nuts.
    Tried off setting it by skipping lunch, then gardened most of the afternoon.
    The hubby suggested local pub being Friday.
    Knowing they don't do food I took seedy crackers and cheese which was just as well as had 2 glasses white wine.
    1 small slice of pizza when home, added extra cheese and meat, hoping to offset.

Not a good day, carb wise.
    As @DJC3 says, trying to enjoy weekend, but not liking that I can't seem to say no to the sugar or carbs, and there's more to come with first visitors arriving tomorrow and the rest on Sunday. Thank heaven birthdays only come once a year!

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. Yaya10_10

actually, I have not tried it but we make a very similar dish.

with/ without meat.

something look like we call it Al-mosaga'a
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. Yaya10_10

b: fruit with porridge

lunch: grilled chicken with baba ghanough +bread

had hypo again treated it then went high :banghead:

D: Shakshuka (look it up :happy:) + bread

• Like Like x 3
  16. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been off the low carb and have eaten a lot of junk food, as I have been bleeding a fair bit from my insides,when something caused my probs last week. The new tablets my GP gave me are starting to stop the bleeds from the polyp gradually.

So normal breakfast for the last few days bacon and eggs etc.
    Not much for smoko, except osmolax in both cordial and a double scoop in my water bottle.
    My partner picked up some 1 kg containers of spag bol and beef casserole from Woolies so have been eating them mainly for lunch and supper at six.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/...hs-spaghetti-bolognese-bolognese-chilled-meal
    https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/824696/woolworths-beef-casserole-chilled-meal

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My partner snuck an order into the ginger factory last week, came in the post yesterday Friday.

It's not low carb but ginger is a old remedy for soothing crooks guts, the choco late is a bit on the sweet side compared to chocolate macadamias.

Makes a nice snack when watching Prime.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Riva_Roxaban hope you feel better soon and get yourself back on the low carb horse.
    Bit late posting for yesterday's food.
    1000hrs breakfast, scrambled eggs with chorizo bits through it and bacon
    1200hrs lunch, tuna and cheese salad
    2030hrs dinner but late as in work, homemade steak, pork and chorizo stirfry

• Like Like x 5
  19. Annb

Just looked that up on the internet. I'll try that one - looks good. A bit like moussaka but simpler. Next time I get some aubergine, that's what I'll make.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Annb

It's like the Mexican dish "huevas rancheros" - great breakfast dish. Great lunch dish. Great supper dish. I make it once in a while but without the bread. In fact, I may make something like it but with the lamb stew I made a couple of days ago as the base. Looking forward to that. I was wondering what to have for breakfast so now I know.

And later I will l have smoked salmon with some salad - not sure what I have in the fridge for that - some cucumber and some tomato, I know, some spring onions, I think and Neil did come home with some radishes - a vegetable I've never liked, but I'll try it in the salad. Might make some cole slaw, but it's not something I'm fond of.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook