1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
    Late morning: black coffee and a Food dr protein bar.
    Skipped lunch.
    Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
    Dinner: crispy cheese omelette with cherry tomatoes followed by SF orange jelly and cream.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just looked at all those, and now I'm hungry!
    The cake looks impressive, and I have sour cherries in the freezer.
    Trying to resist making it

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

It is low carb but the calorie count is scary.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. MrsA2

By making a sugary carby cake I only had a small piece. I think I'd face plant into that stunning lc one and eat the lot. No sharing!:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Hi All
    Still using up leftover bbq chicken and sausages for supper the last couple of days but now it's gone! I have been having griddled asparagus a lot as two farms in our village grow it and I can get it fresh from the ground. I discovered how much I like it griddled or roasted compared to boiled. Its such a short season and its nearly over.
    Brekkie continues to be small slice toast and lots of tea.
    Lunch yesterday was rushed from a mammoth weeding in the garden so cut up a Scotch egg (from supermarket) into 8 pieces and had it with a small spoon cheesey coleslaw. Bit carbs but needed something fast. Lunch today will be 2 cooked chicken thighs as found a pack in the fridge going out of date today. Supper will be my chicken, chorizo & red pepper stirfry with paprika and have defrosted some prawns to make it more paella like. The mix will be then split in two and my portion will be stirred through cauli rice and Mr PM’s ordinary rice.
    @Riva_Roxaban that slice of toast and marmalade is perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bit of a rush this morning - slept longer than usual after getting up to take pain killers around 1 am and today is the day my cleaner comes to do the floors. She had a horrendous tale about how much her oil direct debit has gone up by (£150 a month to £470 a month!) without warning of the size of the rise. I can't see why, even with the problems with oil these days, a rise of over 3x can be justified. As she says, that is almost as much as she earns in a month and she still has to pay other household bills and keep her 2 growing kids fed and clothed. I pay her £100 a month to clean my floors (that's £12.50 an hour which I think is a fair rate for manual work) but her other clients don't pay that much and the Council (she also works as a home carer) pay a lot less (I think around £9 an hour). I really don't know how people will manage. Of course, when we were young we just stayed as close to the one fire in the house as we could and wore extra clothes and put extra covers on the beds. Out house had Crittall windows (single glazed) and grew ice on the inside in the winter. But that's not acceptable these days.

Anyway, rushing to get the floors cleared and the bed stripped left little time for breakfast so I just had a slice of the fresh wholemeal loaf Neil made for me last night with a few thin slices of cheddar. I am on the ginger and lemon tea since last evening to try to get some control over my stomach - not entirely successful, especially after taking my antibiotic pills. upload_2022-5-18_13-9-29.png

BG was also up at 10.4 this morning and is still around that mark - at least it didn't go up when I had the bread. Just a few days ago I would have been very happy with 10 or thereabouts but recently it has been better with the earlier injection of insulin and so I'm no longer comfortable with that.

Later I will have the chicken salad that I promised myself yesterday, and didn't have time to make or eat.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

We were given half a dozen bantam eggs, so brunch was three of these hardboiled with a mahoosive salad. Dinner will be pork chop, cauliflower and cabbage.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MrsA2

So envious! I have been waiting for local asparagus but its so expensive this year, £2 for 6 thick stems in supermarket, or £3.50 at local farm shop. I keep waiting for price to come down but fear its not going to.:arghh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. MrsA2

B: ff greek with seeds and 1 big strawberry
    Spent most of the morning getting to and waiting for routine hospital appointment. The consultant is always notoriously slow but was slower even than usual as he had a trainee in with him.
    Did succumb to a Kind nut bar at 12:30
    L: home at 13:45, stilton on seedy crackers
    Interesting visit to a new community garden project. They are full of ideas but no ones wanting to take on the on going maintenance . Does seem a bit foolish setting it up in the countryside where most people already have their own outside space.
    D: beefburgers wrapped in lettuce. Added cheese, pickles and sliced tomato. Yum. 1 hm lc brownie with cream

• Like Like x 3
  11. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Oh well done giving your HC Easter egg away. I’ve tried to hide mine from myself behind my jumpers in the wardrobe!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

You are definitely living up to the Super Gran avatar!
    I find I eat too much of the HC eggs before I realise I should have been more restrained. There’s a definite lag period before I realise I’ve had too much. I love that hit of sweetness with the occasional raisin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't move, I'm on my way!
    And please leave the back door open if you need to go out.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

I must admit I thought of you and @Goonergal the other day when I read in our local paper that our little museum may hold the oldest East egg in the world.

I think I should put my Hotel Chocolate 85% batons, from 2019 somewhere safe. They could be famous one day. :)

In keeping with the thread, today I have had pretty disorganised food. Partly because I had lots of "jobs" to get done, and because MrB is away, playing golf for a couple of days.

This evening's meal was a stirfry with all manner in it - all LC, just a bit odd. I'll live. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Three slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
    Two small sausage rolls, lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
    Beef sausages, mashed spudlites & jap pumpkin together, with raw onion mixed in after mashing for lunch
    Beef and chunky veggy soup, couple of slices of toast.

Crispbread with a nice Danish blue cheese spread on them watching Prime.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

That really made me laugh! Hope your jumpers are better behaved than mine - now so many of them they fall out of the wardrobe every time the door is opened, so they’d be useless for concealing anything!

@AndBreathe fossilised HC batons are definitely not a thing around here.

I had a disorganised food day too, mainly due to a routine change. Working from home in the morning but had to finish v promptly to cross town for oxygen therapy, so ate some M&S rollitos as I worked, topped up with Greek yoghurt, raspberries and cream.

Headed in to M&S on the way home for half a rotisserie chicken and ahem, some eclairs!

Off to Bristol today for tomorrow’s food addiction conference and then the PHC conference.

• Like Like x 4
  17. RosemaryJackson

RosemaryJackson · Well-Known Member

Morning all. Forgot to post yesterday and I too had such a disorganised day, I have no idea what I ate. But today am more 'with it,' so I have chipolatas and chicken leg to air fry and chicken breast to slice up and fry with peppers and onions. That's something I've never done before so am looking forward to it. Am going shopping first so will get some mushrooms as well to add to it. My readings are high recently, sometimes it's 10 during the day, so I'm shortening the eating window and being more strict with the carbs. It's so frustrating to keep getting high numbers and I get so down about it. Sometimes I find it so confusing, I can't think straight and get really tearful, which doesn't help.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Tum still upload_2022-5-19_12-16-15.png but I did have a slice of toast and butter and took my pills. My Flucloxacillin is the thing that really upsets my stomach and is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, but taking it that way just makes my stomach reject it so I have decided to take it with the rest of my pills - after breakfast and with food during the rest of the day.

That means I will have to have something 4 times today - obviously not much each time and will have to decide what to take in the way of insulin with the smaller meals. I will use one of the packs of lamb tagine with some yoghurt to calm it down a bit - and just divide that out into 3 meals. That way I only have one meal's worth of food but still eat 4 times in the day. I thought of making cauliflower rice to go with it, but that might be a bit much for my fizzing stomach to take. Have to do something with the veg that Neil bought for me before it goes off though. Prep/cook them all and put them into the freezer - at this rate, I'm never going to empty it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. MrsA2

Ooh do report back please. I wanted to go but wasn't right timing, this time

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Hug for the potential stomach ulcer. Griddled asparagus, sprinkled with parmesan shavings, topped with poached egg and Hollandaise must be vaguely Elsie and even I can cope with that. Guys and gals, I enjoy reading about what you are eating and your wonderful pictures. More power to your elbows creating and sharing those meals . Since I have so far read of ginger, Montezumas , cauliflower puree and cake I know I did right leaving the thread - I didn't/don't/won't fit. My relationship with Elsie is platonic/ marriage of (in) convenience. Tim Spector's 4 Ks seems to have had an influence on some here - (haven't seen kombucha mentioned) Y'all take care now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #50180 ianpspurs, May 19, 2022 at 2:25 PM
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook