What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A pound is equivalent to 454g, or alternatively an ounce is just a little bit over 28g.

In Canada, we are completely schizophrenic, we use both. Supermarket flyers use pounds, as well as the price displays for produce and meat. However, at the checkout till, the slips are in kilo. This make it look cheaper! Deli meat is listed as per 100g which makes it even look cheaper. The only food store that display produce and meat in kg is Costco - an American based store! Go figure....

When you talk to somebody about your weight, it is in pounds, however at the doctor's office it is kg. The same goes for one's length, in general parlance it is feet and inches - in official parlance it is cm.

In Quebec, they use use the decimal comma as in continental Europe, whereas in the rest of Canada we use the decimal point.

Although all our road signs are in km, when one asks somebody about the distance between two places it is either miles, or worse minutes (?????).

The size of a house is in square feet - nobody would understand if one talks about square meter. The same goes for acres, against hectares!

I suppose some of it has to do with our proximity to the United States. My highly controversial point of view is that it is because Canadians are secretly wannabe Americans - the Canadian psyche is built on the notion that we are not American!

Reactions: maglil55

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wait, a pound (or Lb) is not the same as half a kilo?

Please tell me a kilo weighs a thousand grams in the UK... :confused:

I'm a bit scared to ask, but is an ounce 100 gram?
If I remember correctly an ounce is 28 grams & a kilo is 2.2 llbs

Reactions: Antje77

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B/ black coffee, 2 fried eggs, whole avocado & slice walnut & sunflower seed toast with butter
B/ roast chicken salad
D/ sirloin steak, roasted broccoli, large baked mushroom with feta cheese,
S/ Cassien shake with almond milk

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone. So back to Friday, not sure what I had for lunch and brekkie is always a slice of LC toast and copious tea. Supper was LoDough pizza with goats cheese a few halved cherry toms and a handful of black olives sprinkled with dried Italian herbs. Completely forgot about the Basil plant on my window cill Doh:banghead:
Saturday lunch was two Ryvita spread with egg mayo, I knew it was too carby but I came in from working in the garden and was ravenous! Then I had a cup of tea and a DGF coffee & walnut cake. The bugbear I have with those cakes is they are really expensive and when they arrive I have to cling film them individually for the freezer. I did mention it to them once but they said they were only a small co and didnt have the staff to do it. Also the postage at £4.50 for such a light parcel of two boxes seems too much. So as good as they are I am not ordering them as often now. Supper was Chicken Shaslik from Waitrose and cauli rice. In between I snaffled 3 Higgidy mini fritatas and that was overkill. Just a hungry day but bad habits need to be curbed quickly.
Lunch today will be straightforward scrambled buttery eggs.
Supper will be Peking crispy duck, no pancakes, a teasp of sauce and baked asparagus.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Ham salad.

2nd meal: the last of the beef ragout from a couple of days ago with some extra veggies to give it some bulk and maybe some cauliflower mash. Should be easy enough to do, if I can muster the energy. However, I keep falling asleep, so maybe not.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven’t eaten anything yet, just water and Diet Coke so far. However I’m off to this event very shortly, so things are likely to change on the eating front!

https://www.keto-festival.co.uk/home
Just going off topic a bit
I wanted to go to Keto Festival today. It would have been lovely to meet you. Please let us know what you think of it. I follow keto Kev and he did a presentation. Very interesting. I hope you enjoy your day.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh, a food festival where you can just eat everything, that sounds wonderful!

Indeed, although there were quite a few things that I wouldn’t want to eat (bit too processed). This was lunch - couldn’t finish the pizza, so have almost half left for another meal. The cake was the best keto cake I’ve had - tasty and not sweet: just perfect for me! And I was very surprised to like the (free) drink. Also found some very moreish salami crisps - they’re crinkle cut!

AA9B342A-E916-4BF8-854B-ACEE39141AC9.jpg
1788D5A0-CEA4-46B8-A4A5-1F5385E0B1F5.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just going off topic a bit
I wanted to go to Keto Festival today. It would have been lovely to meet you. Please let us know what you think of it. I follow keto Kev and he did a presentation. Very interesting. I hope you enjoy your day.

Likewise. I quite enjoyed it. Lots of stands - bit too much sweet stuff and a bit too much very processed stuff, but some lovely bits and pieces too. Got very busy very quickly so I’m pleased I got there early. It wasn’t far at all from where I live, which was a bonus.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise. I quite enjoyed it. Lots of stands - bit too much sweet stuff and a bit too much very processed stuff, but some lovely bits and pieces too. Got very busy very quickly so I’m pleased I got there early. It wasn’t far at all from where I live, which was a bonus.
Thank you . Maybe next year.

Reactions: Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was the base of the pizza made of?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was the base of the pizza made of?

Mainly almond flour. Just went to take a pic of the back of the package of 2 bases I bought. Need to put them in the freezer. They also have a take-away place open a few hours a day not too far from the Emirates stadium so I may be visiting. As they were making the pizzas to order I got one with very little tomato on. They also did a very good cheesey garlic version.

34BCA3C8-F176-438F-8702-487983D0B24F.jpeg

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
The dish is made from what was in the refrigerator, but it turned out very tasty and practically without carbohydrates. Here is a zucchini stuffed with boiled chicken (left over after cooking the salad), tomato, egg (also one boiled left), cheese, onion and sour cream
IMG_20220529_200036.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday 26 May - bed 8.7 FBG 8 4 so still high for me. Back to a rush between schools again. I'll be glad to get to after summer holidays when they go in at different times. At least the senior school is within minutes of the youngest's new school

B TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo when I got back from the school run.

L pack of M&S pancetta crisps

D. Another SLC pizza (I added bits of chicken, santini tomatoes and more cheese). This on was even better than the first. I left it longer on tge rack (cooked from flozen) so the base was crisper. Although they are expensive they are good.

Strawberries, raspberries with clotted cream.

Friday bed 8 2 FBG 7.9

B. TAG and a M&S crispy cheese cracker with guacamole.

L Early before school pick up - 2 slices of SLC bread with mortadella and guacamole.
I picked up youngest while eldest walked to ours to raid our food!

D. A new thing from M&S - 2 chicken katsu burgers with Emmental cheese slices, spinach, santini tomatoes, exotic mushrooms and walnuts.

2 vodkas and diet coke to celebrate a whole weekend off! Shopping done today and it's the marathon weekend. Although they call it the Edinburgh Marathon it's mostly in East Lothian and we have the roads closed around us from 5am to 6 30 pm. It's a day for staying in! It's only one day a year but it is utter chaos.
20220527_183925.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mainly almond flour. Just went to take a pic of the back of the package of 2 bases I bought. Need to put them in the freezer. They also have a take-away place open a few hours a day not too far from the Emirates stadium so I may be visiting. As they were making the pizzas to order I got one with very little tomato on. They also did a very good cheesey garlic version.

View attachment 54734
One to experiment with!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I retract everything I ever said or thought about cauliflower. First time ever I made cauli mash with a bit of butter mixed in. It's delightful and I wished I'd made more. Went very well with the remaining ragout as well, but I could just eat it on its own.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It really blows my mind! I've been rather active on this forum which is rather heavily based on UK measurements for years, and only now I find out an English pound is not a Dutch pond and a Dutch ons is nowhere near a British ounce!
And I never knew that the Dutch have ponds and ons (what is plural ons?)
Love the learning I get from this forum :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and 1 strawberry. Handful of pecans
Long walk with a friend
L: spicy chicken and peppers warmed in the microwave served with ff greek. Another handful nuts
D: roast chicken, carrots, broccoli, green beans. 1 small scoop icecream - best of all it was cooked for me by son

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And I never knew that the Dutch have ponds and ons (what is plural ons?)
Love the learning I get from this forum :)
Ons is an odd word because the plural is the same as the singular, very easy!
And I fully agree with the pleasure in learning completely random things on the forum! :joyful:

And on topic: Today will be the same as yesterday, oven baked marinated asparagus and broccoli with an aubergine and yoghurt sauce. Today without the shrimp, they didn't really add much to the dish (except protein, but I'll likely make up for that with some midnight pork scratchings anyway.)

Enough of the vegetables are currently in the oven to have lots of leftovers, I'll do something with them and minced meat and perhaps tinned tomatoes tomorrow. :hungry:

Last edited: