1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Wednesday 22 June - bed 8 FBG 8.5 - Still higher than normal. After youngest's sports yesterday it's the eldest today but, he doesn't like sports day. That means he srays with me and does some work. He did it quite willingly and it made pick up easier!

B. TAG and a bit crustless quiche
    L. A couple of M&S crackers and egg mayo.

D. Bunless burger with Emmental cheese slice, lettuce, tomatoes, nicked 3 of Hubby's chips. Strawberries and clotted cream.

Thursday 23 June - bed and FBG both 7.3.

B. TAG and a bit of crustless quiche.

L Nothing

D. Cooked chicken breast with a salad of lettuce, avocado, tomato, port salut, beetroot, coleslaw and walnuts. Oh, and a boiled egg.

20220623_182700.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Master

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
    Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
    Skipped lunch.
    Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
    Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed Type 2 · Well-Known Member

1000hrs B bacon peices and cheese omelette
    1400hrs L roast beef with broccoli and carrots with tiniest bit of gravy made from juices
    2000hrs D cold meats salad
    2 x cheeky glasses of red while

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Friday 24 June - bed 7.1 FBG 7. It's Friday! Half day at school but I'm feeding them tonight so Mum & Dad can have a couple of quiet hours in the pub to have a few drinks (Mum's birthday on Sunday).

B. TAG

L. Well more a slightly later breakfast, 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

D. Now that SLC are selling pizza bases on their own, I made my own pizza. Base is pretty good. Put them directly onto the wire rack in the oven, Fan 200C. To the base I added a smear of tomato (I cook any tomatoes going soft with garlic and herbs to use), mozzarella balls, pesto, sliced tomatoes, salami, herbs and grated mozzarella. Gin with a hibiscus flower and diet lemonade. 20220624_183248.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sardines on low cab toast for breakfast.
    Pork chops, green veggies, mashed spudlites, gravy for lunch.
    Bacon and egg sandwiches for supper at six.

Glass of single malt before going to bed.

• Like Like x 6
  6. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Shelley, it's obviously entirely your choice how you deal with this particular bread challenge, but please don't forget that your body ,ay have needed different digestive enzymes to tackle the bread, and wasn't able to produce them instantly after such a long respite. A one more time could show a gentler response.

Personally, I haven't had baked goods of any sort for years. Literally, years - since before going GF several years ago, so I'm supremely unfussed by the thought of bread, but observationally, I know others feel differently.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

@maglil55 that pizza does look the real deal. I made one yesterday evening using LoDough and added a little tomato pesto then blobs of goats cheese, black olives and slivers of two cherry toms. Works for me when I want an easy light supper as I did yesterday. Feeling a bit sorry for myself with a chesty infection atm and don’t fancy eating so today might be scrambled eggs if I can work up any enthusiasm.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hope you get better soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had a very early breakfast of wholemeal toast and Marmite today because I was given a last minute appointment at the physiotherapy department for 8 o'clock. Got there in time, though they didn't but it was only a short delay. They weren't a lot of help but asked me to try walking with 2 sticks instead of one. Unfortunately my left arm won't take the weight, so that's no help. They did say they would send someone out to see how I manage around the house. Another appointment this afternoon to have the pulses in my legs checked.

2nd meal will have to be bacon and egg or ham salad - not sure which at the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

I posted the original pics of this raw in Carnivore Corner the other day. Had to cut it into 2 steaks as the initial piece was large, even by my standards.

Having had an 82% chocolate ice cream in Venchi at Covent Garden as my first ‘meal’ of the day around 11, this delicious Picanha (about 400g) was the perfect return to base for meal 2 (and final meal) around 3pm. Yum!

48F8074F-CEA2-4F0D-99D3-AB30CA3E65C0.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  11. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A311AACC-FD03-4144-B78E-FC879532F0AB.jpeg 33937A79-27AA-45A1-81B2-0C126302DC6E.jpeg
    Photo of my growing numbers of cultured veggies taken yesterday before transferring the apple,beetroot and celery to the fridge as ready -the others will need a few more days of culturing at room temperature.
    10ish seeds soaked overnight in a mix of hm yoghurts and kefir - a spoon of each and left in fridge to thicken
    1ish - see photo- a portion of my new cultured veg, and a spoon of its brine juice, with seed crackers and cheese followed by rhubarb and hm yoghurts and a few squares of 100% choc
    Thought would do a post lunch blood glucose check to compare to my post sourdough bread slice reading of yesterday and all good today - even though fermented veggies were high carb beetroot and apple - I only saw a total rise of 0.6 - clearly fermentation works better on removing the sugars from fruit and veg than on rye flour!
    5ish frittata with salads followed by lc lemon cake

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’d agree that my response may improve over time especially as in remission for 5 years however what I was checking was to see how much sugar and starch the long fermented dough would reduce. I’ve read others saying that sourdough bread had less of an impact on their bgs because of the fermentation. I’m choosing though to stay away from most bread other than the occasional low carb slice or roll - which works for me re my bgs but I’m not tempted to overeat I think I may be more tempted by the proper home made fresh bread!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why do our heads interfere with our bodies? I should have been fine to OMAD today as its only skipping breakfast and lunch and having early tea, isn't it?
    But no, first bg shoots up over 9 . Putting that down to stress as had to get son to airport.
    Morning passed with 2 coffees with cream, then meeting girlfriends where I only had herbal tea.
    Tummy really rumbling.
    Went to garden centre to distract me, but nearly bought a £100 plant (dangerous stuff this omad ;))
    About 2:30 succumbed to 2 slices salami and small bit of cheese.
    Feeling like migraine starting so slept in chair for an hour.
    D: hash of bacon, chicken, eggs, ham, veg. Cheese and crackers. Yoghurt with 1 sq 85%.
    Still got a headache. Think it's only brain sulking knowing it wasn't allowed food.
    Am interested to see what tomorrow brings

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. MrsA2

@shelley262 could you kindly set up a separate thread for your yoghurt and fermentation escapades please? I'm having trouble finding the posts with recipes and links to websites for supplies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not rated funny for your no eating ordeal, but I sure hope it's very nice plant!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

That is one seriously large duck breast! Not surprised it needed longer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. MrsA2

I didn't buy it! That would be taking distraction too far!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Master

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
    Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
    Skipped lunch.
    Mid afternoon: coffee shop cappuccino and a carb killa bar.
    Dinner: roast chicken, mixed veg and one small roast potato with a splash of gravy followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not a bad idea at all to have a thread on fermenting where it's easy to find information on it, would be very useful for others wanting to do some experimenting. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Could they give you one of those walker things with tiny wheels maybe? My mum used to find that so much better than two sticks. In the end I had a small bit of toast and two mugs of tea as didnt have the stomach for even scrambled eggs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook