What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

Overwhelmed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, rudeness
1000hrs B bacon peices and cheese omelette
1400hrs L roast beef with broccoli and carrots with tiniest bit of gravy made from juices
2000hrs D cold meats salad
2 x cheeky glasses of red while

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 24 June - bed 7.1 FBG 7. It's Friday! Half day at school but I'm feeding them tonight so Mum & Dad can have a couple of quiet hours in the pub to have a few drinks (Mum's birthday on Sunday).

B. TAG

L. Well more a slightly later breakfast, 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

D. Now that SLC are selling pizza bases on their own, I made my own pizza. Base is pretty good. Put them directly onto the wire rack in the oven, Fan 200C. To the base I added a smear of tomato (I cook any tomatoes going soft with garlic and herbs to use), mozzarella balls, pesto, sliced tomatoes, salami, herbs and grated mozzarella. Gin with a hibiscus flower and diet lemonade.
20220624_183248.jpg

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 55185
Did my sourdough bread experiment today baked the bread this morning using sourdough starter all developed over last week so plenty of time for the live culture to eat some of the sugary starches in the rye flour plus replaced 30% of rye flour with 0 carb oat fibre to bring it down.took blood sugar before my one buttered slice it was 4.5 as normal but went up rapidly and was still 9.3 2 hours later - don’t remember anything at this level for years so an epic fail for that foodie experiment shows flour is out for me.i can eat low carb bread without a rise as well as root vegetables fermented but clearly I’m sensitive to real bread flour! Still it was a faff making and tasted a bit too nice so probably better that it’s ruled out I’ll stick to fermented vegetables, kefir and yoghurt which all do work for me.
Today’s food
10ish bacon,egg and one slice of lc bread and small glass of hm kefir
Lunch one slice buttered sour dough bread - my experimental slice
Mid pm to allow me to see impact of bread slice first had some hm yoghurts and rhubarb
5ish roast chicken dinner with cauliflower mash and asparagus and glass of dry white wine followed by lc blondie. Post dinner bgs happily down to 5.2. Guess it’s low carb for me still suiting me 5 years on.

Shelley, it's obviously entirely your choice how you deal with this particular bread challenge, but please don't forget that your body ,ay have needed different digestive enzymes to tackle the bread, and wasn't able to produce them instantly after such a long respite. A one more time could show a gentler response.

Personally, I haven't had baked goods of any sort for years. Literally, years - since before going GF several years ago, so I'm supremely unfussed by the thought of bread, but observationally, I know others feel differently.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 that pizza does look the real deal. I made one yesterday evening using LoDough and added a little tomato pesto then blobs of goats cheese, black olives and slivers of two cherry toms. Works for me when I want an easy light supper as I did yesterday. Feeling a bit sorry for myself with a chesty infection atm and don’t fancy eating so today might be scrambled eggs if I can work up any enthusiasm.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@maglil55 that pizza does look the real deal. I made one yesterday evening using LoDough and added a little tomato pesto then blobs of goats cheese, black olives and slivers of two cherry toms. Works for me when I want an easy light supper as I did yesterday. Feeling a bit sorry for myself with a chesty infection atm and don’t fancy eating so today might be scrambled eggs if I can work up any enthusiasm.

Hope you get better soon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a very early breakfast of wholemeal toast and Marmite today because I was given a last minute appointment at the physiotherapy department for 8 o'clock. Got there in time, though they didn't but it was only a short delay. They weren't a lot of help but asked me to try walking with 2 sticks instead of one. Unfortunately my left arm won't take the weight, so that's no help. They did say they would send someone out to see how I manage around the house. Another appointment this afternoon to have the pulses in my legs checked.

2nd meal will have to be bacon and egg or ham salad - not sure which at the moment.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted the original pics of this raw in Carnivore Corner the other day. Had to cut it into 2 steaks as the initial piece was large, even by my standards.

Having had an 82% chocolate ice cream in Venchi at Covent Garden as my first ‘meal’ of the day around 11, this delicious Picanha (about 400g) was the perfect return to base for meal 2 (and final meal) around 3pm. Yum!

48F8074F-CEA2-4F0D-99D3-AB30CA3E65C0.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A311AACC-FD03-4144-B78E-FC879532F0AB.jpeg
33937A79-27AA-45A1-81B2-0C126302DC6E.jpeg

Photo of my growing numbers of cultured veggies taken yesterday before transferring the apple,beetroot and celery to the fridge as ready -the others will need a few more days of culturing at room temperature.
10ish seeds soaked overnight in a mix of hm yoghurts and kefir - a spoon of each and left in fridge to thicken
1ish - see photo- a portion of my new cultured veg, and a spoon of its brine juice, with seed crackers and cheese followed by rhubarb and hm yoghurts and a few squares of 100% choc
Thought would do a post lunch blood glucose check to compare to my post sourdough bread slice reading of yesterday and all good today - even though fermented veggies were high carb beetroot and apple - I only saw a total rise of 0.6 - clearly fermentation works better on removing the sugars from fruit and veg than on rye flour!
5ish frittata with salads followed by lc lemon cake

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Shelley, it's obviously entirely your choice how you deal with this particular bread challenge, but please don't forget that your body ,ay have needed different digestive enzymes to tackle the bread, and wasn't able to produce them instantly after such a long respite. A one more time could show a gentler response.

Personally, I haven't had baked goods of any sort for years. Literally, years - since before going GF several years ago, so I'm supremely unfussed by the thought of bread, but observationally, I know others feel differently.
I’d agree that my response may improve over time especially as in remission for 5 years however what I was checking was to see how much sugar and starch the long fermented dough would reduce. I’ve read others saying that sourdough bread had less of an impact on their bgs because of the fermentation. I’m choosing though to stay away from most bread other than the occasional low carb slice or roll - which works for me re my bgs but I’m not tempted to overeat I think I may be more tempted by the proper home made fresh bread!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do our heads interfere with our bodies? I should have been fine to OMAD today as its only skipping breakfast and lunch and having early tea, isn't it?
But no, first bg shoots up over 9 . Putting that down to stress as had to get son to airport.
Morning passed with 2 coffees with cream, then meeting girlfriends where I only had herbal tea.
Tummy really rumbling.
Went to garden centre to distract me, but nearly bought a £100 plant (dangerous stuff this omad ;))
About 2:30 succumbed to 2 slices salami and small bit of cheese.
Feeling like migraine starting so slept in chair for an hour.
D: hash of bacon, chicken, eggs, ham, veg. Cheese and crackers. Yoghurt with 1 sq 85%.
Still got a headache. Think it's only brain sulking knowing it wasn't allowed food.
Am interested to see what tomorrow brings

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 could you kindly set up a separate thread for your yoghurt and fermentation escapades please? I'm having trouble finding the posts with recipes and links to websites for supplies.

Reactions: Antje77

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the fridge gravel info @MrsA2 - great idea.
Todays food:
B- h/m yoghurt with seeds
L- Brie, ham, sauerkraut, olives. I’m trying to wean myself off pudding so had a microwaved egg afterwards. Not the same thing at all but actually it worked as it put a bit of time in between eating and my stomach realising it had food in it.
D- Duck breast cooked sous vide yesterday but longer than @maglil55 ‘s as these were enormous. Nearly 400g each. Who knew ducks could be so well endowed? Crisped up in airfryer today and served with stir fry veg. Fabulous. 2 glasses red and a dollop of stewed rhubarb after. View attachment 55139
That is one seriously large duck breast! Not surprised it needed longer.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: coffee shop cappuccino and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: roast chicken, mixed veg and one small roast potato with a splash of gravy followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@shelley262 could you kindly set up a separate thread for your yoghurt and fermentation escapades please? I'm having trouble finding the posts with recipes and links to websites for supplies.
Not a bad idea at all to have a thread on fermenting where it's easy to find information on it, would be very useful for others wanting to do some experimenting. :)

Reactions: MommaE

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a very early breakfast of wholemeal toast and Marmite today because I was given a last minute appointment at the physiotherapy department for 8 o'clock. Got there in time, though they didn't but it was only a short delay. They weren't a lot of help but asked me to try walking with 2 sticks instead of one. Unfortunately my left arm won't take the weight, so that's no help. They did say they would send someone out to see how I manage around the house. Another appointment this afternoon to have the pulses in my legs checked.

2nd meal will have to be bacon and egg or ham salad - not sure which at the moment.
Could they give you one of those walker things with tiny wheels maybe? My mum used to find that so much better than two sticks. In the end I had a small bit of toast and two mugs of tea as didnt have the stomach for even scrambled eggs.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sort of back to normal today.
B- h/m yoghurt &seeds loads of black coffee
L-pack of rollitos DGF cake.
D- Chicken fajitas with sour cream and avocado but without wrap. 4squares Montezuma’s peanut butter choc.
Complicated week ahead, will be cooking for 2 households so started batch cooking some of the DD ‘casseroles’ which are perfect one pot dinners and easy to divide. Tonight I made the stuffed cabbage casserole and the chicken caprese casserole.