What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: meatballs in tomato and mascapone sauce with brussels, runner beans and brocolli followed by SF raspberry jelly and cream.

BF3D5AC0-00FC-4C85-AF92-6E11D785CAAB.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I'm going to be having a lot of mushroom soup. Thanks to @Annb planting it in my head, I got Hubby busy making chicken stock while I went to Aqua. He kindly diced my huge assortment of mushrooms too.
It's now blitzed and ready apart from adding some cream (that will be done as it is eaten as I suspect some may head to the freezer). Here's the recipe I gave him. The stock is excellent. I recall from learning to cook in restaurants that the base to any good savoury dish is a good stock.

sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-mushroom-soup/

Similar to my recipe, except that I fry the onions, celery and garlic in butter and then the mushrooms in a very hot pan without oil or butter. That seems to increase the mushroom flavour so I don't bother with the porcinis. Just chuck them all in the pan, add stock and cook for a few minutes before blitzing and adding cream. However, this last time, I just fried the mushrooms in a hot, dry pan, added some very well flavoured stock and brought the whole lot to the boil, added butter and then blitzed it with the stick blender. When it cooled slightly, I added double cream. It worked very well so I might just make it that way in future.

Reactions: pms543 and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a bad habit of making the food and then throwing it out because I can't eat.

I made the sausage casserole and I also made a pot of stovies (because the Lorne sausage was at its use-by date), both using butternut squash instead of potato. But, as often happens, I didn't eat. So both are destined for the freezer, unless I have some of one or the other tomorrow. I did have a slice of Lorne sausage and some bacon for breakfast, so that will keep me going. That, along with cups of tea and a cold coffee milk shake. Probably another cup of tea before bed.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch : Fage yogurt and raspberries, black coffee x2
Mid afternoon : black iced coffee
Dinner: salmon , boiled egg, broccoli cooked in butter, beetroot juice, sugar free tonic water.
That was reading so well until I got to "beetroot juice" . Not for me!:facepalm: :)
Did you mix it with the tonic water?

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That was reading so well until I got to "beetroot juice" . Not for me!:facepalm: :)
Beetroot juice, tonic water and wodka sounds quite nice to me to be honest!

My Facebook memories came up with a funny memory today on fresh corn, including the amount of insulin it needed.
I just happened to have two cobs in the fridge so I was pleasantly surprised by the suggested 6 units from last year, giving me an indication of how much insulin it would need.
So I thawed a burger in the microwave to go with it, only to find out the corn had somehow gotten mouldy despite looking perfectly fine otherwise. :banghead:
Had the burger with fried onions and bell pepper on a slice of low carb bread.

I also bought stuff to make a German cheesy leek soup but it was still too hot to go through the motions of making soup. Thought I'd make the soup tomorrow but then remembered I'll be out most of the day tomorrow and likely won't fancy making soup when I come back.
So the minced meat for the soup went in the freezer and I'll buy some endive or lettuce to go with the second thawed burger along the way tomorrow, soup will have to wait a bit longer.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and two well done fried eggs, two slices of toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Savoury liver and bacon and onions, green veggies for lunch.
Two chicken legs, bit of mixed salad for supper at six.

Small glass of malt whisky before bed time.

9nsABc4.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ugh beetroot. One of those things - celery is another (and worse) that I can’t even try and be polite about if presented with it!

Had my ‘leftovers’ special again today. Really like it. Added slightly more feta this time. Will end up being a staple, I’m sure. Have also had some Lindt 90% and some raspberries, almond butter and cream. Totally stuffed now.

9AAB1CC2-B944-4C44-B3B8-2B2F70F7E7BF.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Home made Greek Yogurt, raspberries and some blueberries
Scrambled eggs and a half slice of wholemeal bread
Whatever is left over from last night for tea - which will be chicken, pea shoots, maybe some salad..... and bacon,
Welcome to this thread!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made @MrsA2 cauliflower savoury thingy this afternoon. Very tasty but a bit crumbly. I will line the tin next time that will make it easier to get out. I had the crumby bits with chicken and chorizo bake. (Chicken and chorizo that was going out of date along with other stuff in the fridge that was nearing the end of its life. It was tasty but lacked salt. So thank you Mrs A2 for the recipe.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Goonergal about beetroot :hungover: Plus olives, I will never eat them even to be polite! :depressed:

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a PE bar.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Early breakfast (had to be up and about to empty all the bins - it's dustbin day). It was a quick mushroom soup. Very nice.

2nd meal - also early because Em phoned and asked if she could come to see me - one of the portions of stovies made yesterday. The rest is packed and in the freezer along with 4 packs of sausage casserole.

Plenty of tea today - I'm very thirsty so lots of tea and lots of water over and above the tea. I think the stovies may have been a bit salty - the gravy from the corned beef was very concentrated.

Edited to replace words when I managed to remember the one that I wanted.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll buy some endive or lettuce to go with the second thawed burger along the way tomorrow, soup will have to wait a bit longer.
I took my dogs along with me on the trip today, we had a wonderful swim at a very small beach. :)
But this meant I couldn't go to the supermarket because with the current weather leaving the dogs in the car is no option.

So I raided my neighbour's veggie garden instead, much better than the supermarket too!
Neighbour died quite suddenly some two months ago and he's sorely missed. So this year's veggies are like little presents from beyond, signifying someones life doesn't end with his death.

Anyway, enough philosophy, check out this giant head of endive and iceberg lettuce! :woot::D
(Yes, I have a pretty normal sized sink and countertop!)
I've pulled them out with the roots and put them in water, that way they'll keep for a long time. And I'm sharing with the guinea pigs of course. :)

299718481_10225995985000545_4837230041309552230_n.jpg

So I had my current go to meal of a good burger with endive and onions. Will make the cheesy creamy leek soup tomorrow.

300158815_10225995984280527_4092696238042677362_n.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 15 & Tuesday 16 August - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6 and bed 7 4 FBG 7. I can do both together as they are both exactly the same.

B TAG and 2 slices if SLC toast with Philly.

L. Nothing

D. A very, very large bowl of home made mushroom & chicken soup, followed by a SLC chicken and avocado sandwich.

The one difference is yesterday I had a vodka and diet coke. Today, no vodka as I'm up early again for the return of the school run. Even earlier start as eldest has to be at Senior school for 8 30am registration. All the clothes are labelled & delivered for both. Morning will be a double run now as I'll nip back for the younger once big brother is in Anyway, I got an aqua session yesterday and Physio today. Back to normal!
20220815_182350.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beetroot juice reminds me of a beetroot stout my Mum/Granny used to make as a tonic for us when we'd been ill. It involved beetroot (obviously) and a lot of sugar. There was also sweetheart stout in it. I recall it being in one of these Mason Cash mixing bowls, covered with a clean dish towel, on top of the fridge and left presumably to ferment? It tasted really good.
It involved more than that but that's all I remember.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes I do mix it. Today I drank it before dinner, un adulterated by tonic water, which I drank after.
My Mum swore the beetroot stout was good for the blood! I suspect the energy came from the large quantities of brown sugar that covered the beetroot which was then left to sit for quite a few days.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: small greek yog with seeds and rhubarb
Dancing
L: frittata and 80g camembert
Made some more hm lc yoghurt. Its the boiling and simmering the milk takes the most time.
More dancing
D: late for me at about 8 as out with the girls. 1 small white wine with lots of soda, greek salad, cheeses. 2 sqs 85% when I got home