What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi s.sollis, I am glad someone else likes it too, there are only a few people I know who like it, I don't know why its good. I can eat a couple of slices of this between meals if I am a bit peckish and have tested afterwards and my BG readings love it too. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
I had some for a snack before bed last night so I'm wondering if that's why I had a better FBG this morning:)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I had some for a snack before bed last night so I'm wondering if that's why I had a better FBG this morning:)
Funny you have just said that as I had some the other nigh too and my Readings were lower too, going to try this again at night for supper when I buy some more and see what the results are. :happy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
S: olives in olive oil
L: Lidl roll sliced into 3. All with butter, 1 with marmite, 2 with lemon and lime marmalade
D: i want crackslaw (there is 1 portion left, but that is tomorrows) so it is looking like roast chicken drumsticks dusted with barbecue spices. And broccoli and asparagus. The last 2 Godivas. Oh, the trauma.

Reactions: 4 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny you have just said that as I had some the other nigh too and my Readings were lower too, going to try this again at night for supper when I buy some more and see what the results are. :happy:
I'm going to have some more tonight for supper, let's see what the morning Bg brings:)

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
L: Lidl roll sliced into 3. All with butter, 1 with marmite, 2 with lemon and lime marmalade
D: i want crackslaw (there is 1 portion left, but that is tomorrows) so it is looking like roast chicken drumsticks dusted with barbecue spices. And broccoli and asparagus. The last 2 Godivas. Oh, the trauma.
HI brunneria,, the lemon and lime marmalade you mentioned is it the ordinary one or is there a sugar free version, ? I love marmalade.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI brunneria,, the lemon and lime marmalade you mentioned is it the ordinary one or is there a sugar free version, ? I love marmalade.

It is the Roses one. Full sugar. But i use it sparingly (with a halo), and it doesnt seem to blip my bg. Very happy about it! Lol

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Marmalade and Godivas ... you have a nice life What's your secret!

PS I'm just jealous of the marmalade, now I have LivLife bread though I might try some!

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Breakfast: Porridge made with almond milk with sunflower seeds, flax, chia seeds (and a bit of yoghurt because mixing in the chia seeds made it go 'stumph'.
Lunch: M&S courgetti bolognese microwave meal
Mid afternoon: tiny satsuma and a bit more Greek yoghutrt.
Tea: Salmon & Avocado salad: (Aldi Kiln-roasted salmon fillet, half an avocado, head of kos lettuce, some baby plum tomatoes, half a grated carrot, a gherkin, some roast salted cashews, 4 radishes and a spring onion, all smothered in french, very mustardy mayonnaise) this was utterly fabulous

(I'm seeing what I can do with porridge, this is a baseline with no added sweetener, or fruit, I'm going to try with increasing amounts of oatbran, and adding in some berries and see how it goes BG was 6.1, so not too bad, but room for improvement - Greek yoghurt with seeds and nuts gives me about 5.6)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: poached eggs smoked salmon spinach cherry tomatoes
L: LivLife bread, pork rillettes (fancy name for pate!)
D: Beef Bourginon (from Just Cook, 10g of carbs per half), asparagus brocolli

4.3 BG 3 hours after so just had some cheese and biscuits, and about to sneak a piece of chocolate

Readings in the 5s most of the day, feel I'm starting to get on top of it after my wobble

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
It is the Roses one. Full sugar. But i use it sparingly (with a halo), and it doesnt seem to blip my bg. Very happy about it! Lol
Hi Thank you will try and test.:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the key with the marmalade is because of the butter/fibre combo of the roll.

Jam on white bread with a smear of butter = spike
Fibrous lidl roll with generous butter and a little marmalade = nary a blip.

YMMV (your mileage may vary!)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scrambled Eggs & Bacon

Gala Pie (stupid fool)

Griddled Tuna Steak, Salsa Verde, Roasted Vegetables

85% x 2 squares

Reactions: 5 people
D

debrasue

HI debrasue, only eat lunch tongue from Aldi don't like ox or any other. :)
Well as I said, I like it, but I don't like to enquire too closely as to its origins for fear of losing it, if you know what I mean!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@britishpub I love the idea of meters actually saying "idiot" when we test after something that is high carb thanks to you And Geoffers Taylor for a real LOL moment.

D

debrasue

Maybe you could just lick them and put them back for tomorrow! :p

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bought, I'm afraid. ;)
so is it ok to have the bought corned beef on LCHF....what about other cooked meats from supermarket are tgey ok too ...sorry not been on this diet long ...any help welcome ....I like your posts. ..they are things my husband will eat ...haven't tried baking recipes yet ....lol trying to get meals sorted first ....

Reactions: 3 people
D

debrasue

so is it ok to have the bought corned beef on LCHF....what about other cooked meats from supermarket are tgey ok too ...sorry not been on this diet long ...any help welcome ....I like your posts. ..they are things my husband will eat ...haven't tried baking recipes yet ....lol trying to get meals sorted first ....
Hi, Jojo!
Well, I've only been doing this since the beginning of March, but my BGs started falling straight away with LCHF and they are now consistently in the 'normal' range so I guess I must be doing something right!
I eat any sort of meat, including the deli offerings, as long as they don't contain lots of cereal (like luncheon meat). So ham, chicken, roast beef, roast pork, turkey, salami, corned beef etc all seem fine. Any sort of fish or seafood is good, too. I also eat eggs, virtually any sort of cheese, cream etc. but I am experimenting with lacto-free and dairy-free at the moment, because I think it may be aggravating my arthritis (although it may not be - I can't decide yet!).
Any sort of above-the-ground vegetables are great, but I check the carbs in fruit because fructose (fruit sugar) can bump up the numbers. Berries seem to be the best.
So cooking for your husband should be relatively easy - more or less any sort of meat - hot or cold - and heaps of veg or salad, followed by cheese and low-carb/gluten-free crackers, or fruit and natural yoghurt. (Coyo coconut yoghurt is totally gorgeous!) When you're ready to start baking, there are some really good recipes on the Low Carb forum on this website and also on here: http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/#uds-search-results
I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jojo my only add to Debrasue's response would be to check that meats have no added Dextrose in them (sugar in other words) as a lot do.....I can often be heard in the Supermarket exclaiming sugar in meat....Why!

Also try the dietdoctor.com webiste for some excellent low carb recipies And also The Harcombe diet more really good recipe's here.