What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm surprised, I wouldn't be able to eat most of the above and stay so low. Are your portions really small? 30g for a box of fries, 30g for 100g of Bombay mix, 10g for 100g of mixed nuts, 5g for the roll. "Diabetic" marmalade is 60g per 100g.

I only have about 30g of Bombay mix, 30g of nuts, so was a 60-80 gram day. If I can avoid the microchips, then usually stay under 50 grams. The diabetic jam/marmalade is Shute. which only has Sorbitol, not brilliant for you, as I believe it is converted to Fructose in the body, but doesn't directly raise my BG.

D

debrasue

I'm surprised, I wouldn't be able to eat most of the above and stay so low. Are your portions really small? 30g for a box of fries, 30g for 100g of Bombay mix, 10g for 100g of mixed nuts, 5g for the roll. "Diabetic" marmalade is 60g per 100g.
But one doesn't normally eat 100g of marmelade - that's around 5 tsp.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only raising it because I think it's surprising to see these things in a low carb diet forum. Anyone newly diagnosed could be easily confused reading some of the posts on here. Nothing personal @Jasperville, you should eat what you want.

But low carbing is generally considered to cover the 0-130g carbs a day range.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: bacon, egg, sausage, mushroom, coffee substitute and cream.
L: not needed
D: pulled pork, green beans, baby corn and carrots, masses of broccoli. No pud.

And somewhat annoyed. Usually my pulled pork is a carefully crafted taste blend of herbs, spices and low carb options.
But this time i used a packet mix Mr B bought a while back. Only used it to clear the cupboard. It also asked for cider vinegar and (prepare yourselves) 125 ml of tomato sauce (to make at least 6 portions). And sugar. I used the tomato sauce, but not the sugar.

And it was FAR nicer than my home made efforts. :mad:

Humph!!!

JenniferG

My man and I just had Portabella "Toast" for the first time. Neither one of use ate a portabella before.

Sprinkled salt and drizzled on ample olive oil and broiled/grilled the portabellas upside down , for 3 mins.

Put some feta and pistachio nuts on top and broiled for 3 more mins.

Drizzled on some more olive oil and topped with thinly sliced scallions.

Heavenly! Will be having this often!

Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

B: Coffee with cream
L: Turkey wrapped in Romaine lettuce leaves with goat's cheese, cherry tomatoes; raspberries and cream
D: Slow-roasted pork, cauliflower, peas, cabbage and creamed spinach

I think I'm pretty much creamed out today!
:)

JenniferG

B: Coffee with cream
L: Turkey wrapped in Romaine lettuce leaves with goat's cheese, cherry tomatoes; raspberries and cream
D: Slow-roasted pork, cauliflower, peas, cabbage and creamed spinach

I think I'm pretty much creamed out today!
Oh my delish! Care to share your creamed spinach recipe ? :)

Reactions: 3 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had fish and chips tonight ... we were in Bournemouth, we had to visit Chez Fred. I chose a small fish, around 15 chips - back in the day it would be a large fish, large chips and mushies :)

9.2 one hour after (bad!) then now around 6.0 after 2 hours. Tomorrow's readings will tell the full story but wondering if I can have this once in a while (like twice a year!) and the odd spike won't lead to complications as I usually have really good control?

JenniferG

Just a while ago, some fried wild caught salmon filets fried in olive oil, with salt, pepper, butter & lemon juice. Along with a side of spinach salad greens w/ scallions, roma tomato, feta cheese, kalamata olives, olive oil, vinegar, freshly ground flax seed & salt & pepper.

Kind of having a Mediterranean day today.. Earlier it was stuffed portabella mushrooms (with feta, pistachios, olive oil and green scallion garnish.)

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With my intermittent fasting, I've rid myself of the feeling that I need to eat, even when I'm not really hungry. So today was an unplanned fast.

B - coffee
Later - avocado

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had fish and chips tonight ... we were in Bournemouth, we had to visit Chez Fred. I chose a small fish, around 15 chips - back in the day it would be a large fish, large chips and mushies :)

9.2 one hour after (bad!) then now around 6.0 after 2 hours. Tomorrow's readings will tell the full story but wondering if I can have this once in a while (like twice a year!) and the odd spike won't lead to complications as I usually have really good control?[/QUOTE

Finger's crossed for a good FBS. Well done for showing relative restraint.

Lot's of 'experts' advocate occasional treats - helps the long term compliance with low carb; well that's the theory.

D

debrasue

Oh my delish! Care to share your creamed spinach recipe ? :)
Easy-peasey! Microwave some raw baby spinach in a clingfilm-covered bowl on full for 2 minutes. Transfer it to an ovenproof dish, drizzle a little melted butter and double cream over it, top with grated parmesan and cheddar and bake in a medium oven until the cheese browns (probably around 15-20 minutes).
I can highly recommend this recipe, too...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/easy-cheesy-courgettes.99011/
Enjoy!

D

debrasue

B: Chocolate chia pudding and raspberries
L: Ham & cherry tomatoes; low-carb chocolate & black cherry cookies (Meh.... not going to bother writing up a recipe - they weren't great)
D (will be): Pulled pork, 125g brown & wild basmati rice, dressed mixed salad leaves; strawberries & cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting day, so just coffeesubstitute, broth and herb teas til dinner.

D: chicken curry with sugarsnaps and cauli rice. May have berriesncream later

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasted

D salmon, avacado salad.

Was full after just having a quarter of it. Shocking how much little I need now to be full up. Eyes are still too big for my stomach....

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting day, so just coffee substitute, broth and herb tea til dinner.

D: 3 x Lamb kebabs (2g carb ea) with cauli cheese. Another coffeesub